Too Young (The Jewel Project...

By Wimbug

[FREE STORY with paid bonus content] "Life is a series of choices, kiddo. You either choose to trust me or y... More

The Jewel Project
Preliminaries
Family Tree
Chapter 1.1 - Hunted
Chapter 1.2 - Hunted
Chapter 2.1- Living the Dream
Chapter 2.2 - Living the Dream
Chapter 3.1 - The Grants
Chapter 3.2 - The Grants
Chapter 4.1 - Christine
Chapter 4.2 - Christine
Chapter 5.1 - Study Camp
Chapter 5.2 - Study Camp
Chapter 6.1 - Sunglasses and Screwdrivers
Chapter 6.2 - Sunglasses and Screwdrivers
Chapter 7.1 - The Race
Chapter 7.2 - The Race
Chapter 8.1 - The Ruby
Chapter 8.2- The Ruby
Chapter 9.1 - New Recruits
Chapter 9.2 - New Recruits
Chapter 10.1 - Backup
Chapter 10.2 - Backup
Chapter 10.3 - Backup
Chapter 11.1 - Training
Chapter 11.2 - Training
Chapter 12.1 - The games People Play
Chapter 12.2 - The Games People Play
Chapter 13.1 - The Traitor
Chapter 13.2 - The traitor
Chapter 14.1 - Survival of the fittest
Chapter 14.2 - Survival of the fittest
Chapter 15 - The Challenge - The deleted scenes
Chapter 15.2 - The challenge
Chapter 16 - Fake
Chapter 17.1 -The New Plan
Chapter 17.2 - The new plan
Chapter 18.1 - A sudden attack
Chapter 18.2 - A sudden Attack
Chapter 19.1 - Jessie's Trial
Chapter 19.2 - Jessie's Trial
Chapter 20.1 - The calm before the storm
Chapter 20.2 - The calm before the storm
Chapter 21.1 - The night before
Chapter 21.2 - The night before
Chapter 22.1 - The explosion
Chapter 22.2 - The explosion
Chapter 23 - Intermission
Chapter 24.1 - Broken
Chapter 24.2 Broken
Chapter 25.1 The search
Chapter 25.2 - The search
Chapter 26.1 - Lost and Found
Chapter 26.2 - Lost and Found
Chapter 27.1 - Through the storm
Chapter 27.2 - Through the storm
Chapter 28.1 - Ghosts
Chapter 28.2 - Ghosts
Chapter 29.1 - Temple 101
Chapter 29.2 - Temple 101
Chapter 30 - Too Young
Now that we're done
Family Tree - Take 2
Just because...
Fun Facts
Too Young Playlist
News
Bonus #1
Bonus #2
Bonus #3
Bonus #4
Bonus #5

Chapter 15.1 - The challenge

3.2K 319 355
By Wimbug

Chapter Fifteen

The challenge

Sam studied Tom carefully. "Are you sure you're okay?"

Tom rolled his eyes and bounced on the spot. "I'm perfectly fine. If you keep me in this tent for another second I'll..."

"You'll what? You already did your worst," Sam mumbled, looking at Tom's still bandaged wrists.

"Come on, Sam, I haven't thrown up in over twelve hours. The pain's gone too. I'm a little numb, but other than that, it's like this whole thing never happened."

Sam bit his lip. It had taken Tom three days to come to where he was now, and Sam was still not sure if he had fully recovered. It had seemed so after the first day. But then his twin fainted and the burning pain returned.

For Sam, those three days of watching over Tom were more draining than all they'd been through so far. It showed him they weren't safe from harm. And he wasn't sure he wanted that knowledge just yet. He preferred to delude himself that if he wished it hard enough, nothing bad would happen. Well, whoop-tee-do! As if Carlos's death wasn't enough.

Tom raised his sunglasses to the top of his head to bat his eyelashes at Sam. "Pretty please with sugar on top? Jerry said it was okay."

Sam threw his hands in the air. "Fine! It's your funeral."

Tom let out a triumphant call, put his glasses on and rushed outside. Sam followed him. Jerry had pulled through marvelously. Sam couldn't stop thanking him for saving Tom's life. Not even after Jerry reminded him, in a very offended tone, that Tom was his brother as well. Sam had felt like pointing out that Kyle was his brother too, but he still wasn't talking to him even if they'd appeared to have communicated during the mayhem that led to Tom's state.

"Are you sure about that?" Tom's voice snapped Sam to his senses.

"About what?"

"Jimmy told me you don't want to leave the jungle." Tom stopped under a tree and looked up. He jumped, caught on to a lower branch and climbed on it. "But want the rest of us to leave."

Sam sighed. "Yes. I'm not risking another near-death. The only reason you're still here is because you weren't up for traveling." After all that happened, he still didn't want to leave. He'd made up his mind and he wasn't running away, no matter what. But that didn't mean he wanted to endanger everyone else.

He watched Tom as he climbed higher up the tree. "You should get down from there. You could faint or something."

"I will not faint. I'm fine. And do you really think we'll leave you by yourself? You wouldn't last a minute alone."

Yeah, right. Of course he would. "You almost died!"

"Almost being the operative word."

"Why am I talking to you about risks anyway? You're the rashest person I've ever met." Sam shook his head. "It's like talking to a tree."

"Good point, Sam. Why are you talking to a tree?"

Sam glanced over his shoulder. Angie stood behind him, her head tilted slightly. Sam turned back to the tree and tried to catch a glimpse of Tom, but he'd disappeared. Marvelous.

"I'm not talking to a tree. I was actually talking to—" Sam froze in midsentence. Tom had appeared out of nowhere behind Angie.

He lunged, wrapping his arms around her. Angie twitched so violently that, combined with the impulse of Tom's lunge, it sent them both to the ground and tumbling down a hill. They stopped against a tree, tangled up together. Sam half-expected Angie to tear Tom's guts out. Instead, Angie started laughing while Tom struggled to get out from under her.

"What are you laughing at?" he demanded, getting on top of her and pinning her to the ground.

"I'm not laughing at anything. I'm laughing because I'm glad you're out and walking. Finally." She looked at him for a few seconds and then made a grab for his sunglasses.

"No you don't!" Tom held on to her wrists firmer. He bent lower over her as though to tease her that he was bringing the glasses closer.

"Your eyes are gorgeous. Gimme!" Angie flexed her fingers.

"No way, babe!"

"You'll have to give me something in return, then."

"My, my, you're getting pretty good at this flirting thing." Tom bent so low over Angie that Sam couldn't see her anymore.

"Tom!" Sam marched towards them. "Leave her alone!"

Tom groaned, but got off Angie. "Come on! It's not like I was strangling her. Yet."

Sam grabbed his elbow and pulled him away. "What's the matter with you?" he asked as soon as they were out of Angie's earshot. "Stop messing her up. The poor girl has been feeling so guilty what with you jumping in front of her. Don't use it against her."

Tom stared at Sam for a few seconds then yanked his arm out of his grip. "You know what? I think you're right. I might've been delirious after all. Good catch!" Tom patted Sam on the shoulder and walked towards camp.

Sam remained rooted to the spot. He had a feeling that he'd somehow made matters worse. But his mind was set. If Tom didn't leave Angie alone, he would bring out the big guns. He'd tell Jerry. Or better yet, he'd tell Kay.

As he walked back to camp, Sam fleetingly wondered if Kay could beat Tom up. His twin was much better at fighting than he was, but Sam wasn't sure Kay couldn't immobilize him.

"Kyle, let him go!" Kay yelled, her voice filled with fear.

Sam stopped for a second and then broke into a run to the center of camp. Kyle had apparently rammed Jerry into a tree and was pressing his hand against Jerry's shoulder to keep him from moving. Kay stood behind Kyle, her hands over her mouth.

"No, I'm fed up with this. He didn't like me being the good guy so I'm through with that," Kyle said between his teeth.

Jerry watched him malevolently, his lips pressed tightly together as though afraid he might speak.

"Now tell me, you horrible, selfish twerp. What do you want from me? Cause I can't sure as hell tell!"

"Kyle, back off. What the hell do you think you're doing?" Sam marched up to them.

"Sam, watch your language. And stay out of this. Let him fume," Jerry said haughtily. He winced once Kyle pressed harder on his shoulder.

"I'm right here. Why don't you say that to my face? You think this makes you a hero? Standing here and taking my shit?" Kyle let him go and stepped away. "You..." he seemed to be searching for something bad enough to describe Jerry. That was a first. Kyle usually had a whole supply of insults at the ready.

"Oh, no! You two are not keeping me out of this!" Sam said, swelling with anger. "You're wondering why Jerry isn't talking to you? Because you're scary when you pull crap like this.  Violence isn't the answer and neither are insults. Calling him horrible or whatever won't get him talking to you."

"Why not? Being nice didn't work," Kyle mumbled. "I hoped it would pass. I really thought all we needed was some quality time together. We've survived being killed twice. If that doesn't bond, I don't know what does. I give up!" Kyle threw his hands in the air and walked away.

"Wait up. I'd like you to hear what I have to say to Jerry," Sam said, his voice trembling with suppressed anger.

"You know what, Sam? I don't care. If he hates me, let him hate me. This whole situation probably made his day brighter. He's been lacking reasons to complain about me lately."

Kyle looked over his shoulder towards Kay. Tears ran down her cheeks. As soon as she noticed him looking, she took in a big breath and walked to him. Kyle grabbed her hands and looked at her face carefully. Kay held his gaze, her lips trembling. Kyle's expression softened at once. He smiled weakly and wiped her tears away.

Sam watched them, a very uncomfortable knot in his stomach. He hated seeing Kay cry.

Kyle turned back to Jerry, the anger on his face alarming. He stalked back to him. Sam immediately got in front of Jerry to stop Kyle from reaching him.

"Listen to me, and listen well because I'm only going to say this once. If Kay ever sheds so much as a tear because of you again, I'm going to grind you to dust."

Sam watched shocked as Kyle walked back to Kay, wrapped an arm around her shoulders and led her away.

"Hmph! It's his fault Kay is crying, not mine. If he weren't such a brute...poor girl must have been scared out of her wits. I have no idea what she sees in him. She's so delicate."

Sam turned back to Jerry. Had he heard right? Jerry crossed his arms over his chest and watched Kyle and Kay as though they were pancakes and he was the judge in a cooking contest.

"You know what? Kyle's right," Sam said between his teeth. "You deserve a good beating. What's the matter with you? He's your brother. Just like I am. Just like Jimmy and Tom are. Why do you treat him like this?"

"Sam, let's not get into this. It's not worth it." Jerry wanted to turn away, but Sam grabbed his arm. He almost felt like ramming him into the tree and pick up where Kyle left off.

"No. We're having this out now. Why haven't you said a word to Kyle since we left home? What do you want him to do? Crawl at your feet and beg you to talk to him? I've seen you working together when Tom got poisoned. You can do it!"

"That was...the circumstances..." Jerry's eyes shifted. "It was to save Tom. I needed to be fast."

"I'm just wondering. If it had been Kyle instead of Tom, what would you have done?"

Jerry rolled his eyes. "God forbid that would ever happen."

Sam stared at Jerry, clenching his fists so hard it hurt. "I'd rather not talk to you anymore. I tried to see your point. Kyle can be difficult and, yes, he can be scary. I grew up with you and know you're not this selfish monster. At least I thought I did. You're forcing me to take sides. And if I do, as much as I love you, Jerry, it won't be yours."

"I wasn't expecting anything else. All he's done since coming home is pull you away from me." Jerry wheeled around and left for his tent.

Sam sighed deeply. Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out. He had to find the strength to pretend this conversation never took place. Unless he wanted to go crazy. He'd warned Jerry about taking sides, but he didn't want to.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.5K 1.5K 36
#1 in LGBT 9/23/21, #1 in Horror 9/23/21, #2 in BxB 9/23/21, #1 in ZombieApocalypse 9/23/21 Killian's eyes flickered up to Jasper. In the afternoon...
695 130 28
It was like he was on the verge of dying from starvation if he couldn't taste me. Just when I thought the pleasure couldn't get any stronger, it had...
850 337 15
After a worldwide apocalypse, the very few people who survived had moved underground, to form a society known as the Revision, away from the dangers...
15.8K 697 52
In the United States, a new disease has surfaced and has a fatality rate of 100%. There is no medicine which can cure this disease. The disease destr...