Popular Nerd

By Random_Teenager

Nathan Johnson is the nerdiest guy in school- everyone knows it. But Paige Heartfield couldn't help but see s... More

Chapter One// The School Nerd
Chapter Two// His Phone
Chapter Three// Too Shy
Chapter Four// His House
Chapter Five// The Real Me
Chapter Six// Please
Chapter Seven// New Guy
Chapter Eight// Football Practice
Chapter Nine// Dinner
Chapter Ten// Who Is He?
Chapter Eleven// History Project
Chapter Twelve// Don't Cry
Chapter Thirteen// Strange
Chapter Fourteen// That's New
Chapter Fifteen// Laura's Party (Part 1)
Chapter Sixteen// Laura's Party (Part 2)
Chapter Eighteen// Date?
Question & Answer
Chapter Nineteen// New Partner
Chapter Twenty// You Have To!
Chapter Twenty One// Nathan's P.O.V
Chapter Twenty Two// Teacher's Pet
Chapter Twenty Three// Thank You
Chapter Twenty Four// The Real You
Chapter Twenty Five// To Conclude
Chapter Twenty Six// What Happened?
Chapter Twenty Seven// That's Enough!
Chapter Twenty Eight// You Understand?
Chapter Twenty Nine// A Ride
Chapter Thirty// I Told You
Chapter Thirty One// I Never Knew
Chapter Thirty Two// We're Done
Chapter Thirty Three// Tease Much?
Chapter Thirty Four// He Loves Me?
Chapter Thirty Five// Hey Princess
Chapter Thirty Six// Sounds Lovely
Chapter Thirty Seven// Calm Down
Chapter Thirty Eight// Everything Alright?
Chapter Thirty Nine// You'll See
Chapter Forty// I Do Care!
Chapter Forty One// Come In
Chapter Forty Two// Why Move?
Chapter Forty Three// You're Right
Chapter Forty Four// Too Late?
Chapter Forty Five// Nathan?
Chapter Forty Six// Plane Ticket
Popular Nerd Review
Chapter Forty Seven// Come Back
Chapter Forty Eight// My Girlfriend
Chapter Forty Nine// Wanna Fight?
Chapter Fifty// New Beginning
SEQUEL OUT NOW
Nathan's Points Of View
Nathan's POV: Chapter Nineteen// New Partner
15 Shawn Mendes Songs Relatable To Popular Nerd!

Chapter Seventeen// New Friend

34.4K 1.3K 209
By Random_Teenager

Thankfully, with my mom arriving home late on the Sunday night, she never found out about the party on Saturday. She was totally oblivious I'd disobeyed her, but then again I didn't intentionally sneak out to go to a party. I went for milk, not that I ended up getting any in the end. Never mind, I'll just eat my corn flakes dry...

It is now Monday morning. School. I say goodbye to my mom and step outside into the mid October air. Laura's car slows to a halt outside of my house, just as a leaf drops into the breeze of the air landing right by the passenger door.

"Hey girl," she smiles as I slide inside. With my car still not ready from the garage, Laura kindly offered me a lift today.

"Thanks for the lift. I know it's last minute," I apologise, turning up the radio as one of my all time favourite songs comes on.

"That's ok, I was going in this direction anyway."

"Oh, how come?" I ask, knowing that my house is the opposite way to school from Laura's home. She may live a few streets away, however the roads don't match the same simple route. She hums along to Adele setting fire to the rain before answering my question.

"Oh, did I forget to tell you? I'm picking Nate up as well," she reveals, putting the car in gear as we drive downhill, only a street away from Nathan's. "Is that OK with you?"

I have nothing against it. "Yeah, that's fine with me." I just hope that he has forgotten the fact he was angry with me on Friday for eavesdropping on his conversation with Mrs Gillford. His face of outrage had convinced me he was not happy with my spying, his tone of voice had matched his annoyance.

We soon arrive outside Nathan's house and Laura goes up to his door and rings the bell.

"Hey babe," Nathan greets Laura with a hug as he opens the front door. I stay in the car, watching with the view of the window. They walk up the drive towards the car and Nathan climbs into the back, flinging open the door behind me.

"You two fancy going to the mall later?" Laura puts her foot down on the gas. I glance over towards Nathan, remembering he has detention with our chemistry teacher school to resit that test. He may not have failed the exam, however a C has never been recorded next to his name on the school grading system before.

Well, not until now that is. 

However despite my knowledge of his punishment, which Laura evidentially knows nothing about, I keep my mouth closed as I don't want to irritate Nathan any further or remind him of what had happened on Friday, in case he really has forgotten.

"Yeah, I'm free later." His response is quiet yet I hear every word.

"You are?" The words roll off my tongue too fast for me to stop them. From the side mirror I notice Nathan raise his head to look at me with a frowned expression engraved on his face.

"Yeah." He says, then shakes his head and peers back down at his phone.

"You coming Paige?" Laura askes eagerly.

"I don't know." Nathan doesn't seem to be liking me at the moment. "I may be hanging out with Ethan later. I don't want to blow him off."

"Oh that's right," she squeals as we search for a parking space, most of the students here already. "You don't want to reschedule that hot date of yours," she giggles, reversing into what seems to be like the only available space left.

"It's not a date." I remind her with the roll of my eyes. I can't help but smile though, thinking about going out with someone other than Josh does feel refreshing.

"Whatever. But still."

We step out of the car and Nathan kisses Laura on the cheek to say thank you for the ride. I watch him walk away and he meets Josh by the front gates. They begin to laugh and chat as if they have known each other for years.

I watch intensely, his eyes to his, his laugh in the air. He looks free, but not entirely happy. I can't read him; I don't think I have ever understood him. Now it even feels as if his name is foreign in my mouth.

"You ready?"

Laura locks her car and joins me as we enter the school through the main double doors. I avert my sigh off of Nathan and soon we pass students in the corridor. Laura stops to talk to them all, it is like she is high school famous. Well that's what you get for being a cheerleader with a fit boyfriend. With Nathan's transformation and every girl wanting to be with him, Laura is extra popular now that he chose her.

"Can I quickly go to my locker first?" I ask as we reach the turn down the corridor to my locker. "It's just here on the right."

She agrees and I swing open the door to load my bag up with the appropriate books for the day.

With Laura on the cheerleading squad and her being my new friend, I hope that today will be more positive in that the sniggers about Josh dumping me will fade. A girl named Gelsey Fredric got smashed on Saturday and ended up sleeping with Blake Anderson, who everyone labels The School's Bad Boy. So hopefully everyone will be gossiping about that and will have forgotten the scene about Josh and I.

"Hey, you still friends with that Lacy girl?" Laura faces me with an up curled lip.

"Not anymore." I scoff at the remembrance of her blaming me for kissing her boyfriend and how she had purposefully lied to me. She is no friend of mine. If she apologises, then I may think differently about the situation, but until then, I don't want anything to do with her. "How come you ask?"

"She's over their with Jace, giving you proper dirty looks."

I turn my head in the direction Laura described. Sure enough, Lacy is staring right at me, her foot pressed up against her locker with Jace by her side. Well I guess she isn't on planning to apologise any time soon.

It disgusts me to look at Jace or to even think about him. To look at her, with him. When she realises I am staring back, she turns her attention away from me and holds Jace's hand, tugging him away so they can leave the corridor. Good riddance, I don't want to look at her either.

"Oh, have you done that English paper for me yet?" Laura changes the subject. I dig my hand into my bag and retrieve the paper and pass it to her.

"I printed it off in size 14, I hope it's not too small to read-"

"Yeah it's great." Laura cuts me off and pockets the paper. She then checks herself out in my locker mirror.

"Um, are you going to read it?" I ask curiously, rather pleased with my work which took a total of three hours to complete Sunday afternoon. I also did my own essay which took an additional three hours to type, check and then finally print.

"Is the spellings all correct?" She asks, rising her head from her phone.

"Umm, yeah. And so is the grammar," I reply, noticing how bad hers appears to be. It is 'Are the spellings correct?' not 'Is the spellings correct?'. But I don't point that out as it doesn't seem like she is bothered.

Homeroom is rather eventful.

Laura invites me over to the centre of the room, away from my previous seat where I used to sit with Lacy. Now Jace sits there. I take a seat next to Bethany who automatically remembers me from the party. We converse for the first few minutes about last Saturday night until our teacher comes in.

I am just surprised she remembered what had happened that night, she seems pretty out of it after consuming all that cheap alcohol or whatever it had been.

Attendance is recorded then we can chat amongst ourselves before the bell rings, signalling the first period. Laura then calls over the rest of the cheerleaders. My stomach twists a rotation of ninety degrees. Seeing Courtney strut over with Josh isn't a very comforting sight. Half the team perches on one desk with the other around the table me and Laura are sat on. Then most of the football team joins us.

It is weird sitting here- in the middle of attention. Girls I hadn't even acknowledged before are wanting to talk to me, not as reluctant as they had been in previous classes when we were paired together in the seating chart. When usual conversations consisted of algebra or metaphors, it was nice to have a chance for them to talk to me about myself. 

It is a very bizarre moment. One girl even says she would want to go shopping with me, then do homework together. Another invited me to go to the library with her after school one day next week. I wouldn't say I was popular but it definitely is an experience I have never been used to. Even when I dated Josh I never received this much attention.

"Hey Paige." I turn around in my seat at the sound of my name.

I had just been talking to Gelsey about her night with Blake but as soon as I saw Ethan behind me I suddenly freeze. Now seeing him in bright light, it is clear why Beth described him as good looking. He is gorgeous! His eyes are brighter than before and his lips are just... Wow.

"Hi Ethan." With no more alcohol to stir me on, I panick about what to say. This is the second time I have spoken to him and I don't want to ruin any remote chances I may have with him.

"Did you get my text? We still on for tonight?" His smile is even more radiant than I remember. How come I never had a crush on him before?

Maybe because Josh never liked me looking at other guys.

"Yeah," I reflect his smile.

"Awesome, can't wait." We both stand up with the chime of the bell, signalling that first period is about to start. "What do you have now? I can walk you over if you like," he offers with a gentle smile.

"Math, you?"

"Same, I'm in room 31. How about you?"

"Room 32." I beam, grateful that Ethan wants to escort me to class.

We make our way down the corridor then up three flights of stairs. He slips his hand into mine and I don't pull away. It is kind of nice to have him by my side, despite the fact he isn't my boyfriend. But maybe, after I hang out with him tonight, he will be.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

306K 10.5K 31
Having a crush on someone is what everyone goes through at one point in their life. They'll see someone and they think that they are attractive, or t...
80.9K 3.1K 21
Jeanie was excited for summer, just like everyone else. But when her parents announce that they will be going to Europe for the summer with some high...
522K 26.4K 31
When 17-year-old Harley finds herself jobless, she needs a new one- and quick. Pretending to be twenty-one, she takes a job offer at a school for del...
34.5K 1.8K 28
Sweetheart - Yizhan Version 💚💛❤️