An Unlikely Friend. part 1

By BlakeVanier

Nero is deeply in need of a bit of courage, but when an anomalous new friend offers guidance and training, Ne... More

Chapter 1: Family
Chapter 2: The Industrial District
Chapter 3: Isis B.
Chapter 4: A Second Chance
Chapter 5: Flight from Home
Chapter 6: Ferin Forest
Chapter 7: Blue Horin Bay
Chapter 8: Captured
Chapter 9: The Nero Assault
Chapter 10: Kabel Reikyn
Chapter 11: Gracie
Chapter 12: Stone's Fortress
Chapter 13: Kiats
Chapter 14: Exploration
Chapter 15: Taunting
Chapter 16: A Stolen Dagger
Chapter 17: A Disappointing Purchase
Chapter 18: The Hunt
Chapter 19: Lepisents
Chapter 20: The Smoking Boy
Chapter 21: Odoki
Chapter 22: The Games
Chapter 23: Recuperation for Body and Mind
Chapter 24: The King
Chapter 25: On the Other Side
Chapter 26: A Cell of a Room
Chapter 27: Practice Makes Perfect
Chapter 28: The Moltrik Corusnigma
Chapter 30: Getting Out is the Hard Part
Chapter 31: It Couldn't be Worse
Prologue

Chapter 29: Now to Execute

75 7 0
By BlakeVanier

Iona

“This afternoon, Natina will throw a fuss over her ceremony arrangements,” Grebson says to Sosimo and the children who are seated around a kitchen table in the loft above Sosimo’s Sunta candy store. “She should get authorization tomorrow morning to send out a Borukin servant to pick up more help. She’ll also have him pick up one of the Erohsian solar system projections everyone is crazy about these days.” Grebson turns to Sosimo. “I’m assuming you’ve made the modifications and sold it to the shop we discussed.”

“I have,” Sosimo says. “It’ll drain the children’s Aether and project different biometric signs for the Erohsian sensors so they’ll register as four random children. Have Natina ask for a pink sun, it’s the only one in the shop of that color.”

“Good and I sneaked in the rest of the equipment, including the new Erohsian Moltrik ID talismans. Are you going to tell me what special favor you promised your friends in order to get those talismans along with their assistance?”

“Nothing at all,” Sosimo says. “They were surprisingly willing to help. Perhaps they saw this as a good time to field test the talismans but they could have any number of their own motivations.”

“Who are your friends again?” Iona asks.

“Just friends,” Sosimo says. “You’ll meet them after the mission.”

I wish he’d just tell us.

Grebson stands up. “I’ll see you children tomorrow. May Stone’s courage flow through you, Marks’s blade guide you, and the Lost blood nourish you.” Grebson turns form the table and leaves.

Sosimo sits back down and sighs. “This should be an interesting rescue mission but I think we can pull it off.”

“What did Grebson mean by all that?” Ryder asks.

“It’s an old saying we still use. It means: may you have the courage, the skill, and the strength to finish the task ahead. It dates back to the Age of Creation when King Stone and the human leader Jezebel Marks fought to free us from the Creators.”

“What about the Lost Race?” Iona asks.

“The Lost Race was the first to rebel against the Creators, it was also said they were the closest race to the Creators image, a perfect race. There was a great bond between the humans, Borukins, and this race; nothing was impossible when they were together. However, they were responsible for the near destruction of the world at the end of the second age and so, they were some how removed from the world and the history books in what was called the Great Purge.”

“How is that possible?” Iona asks. “Did they kill them?”

Sosimo shakes his head. “It’s a fuzzy time so no one is entirely sure what happened. They simply ceased to exist.” Sosimo stands up. “I’ll make us some lunch and then we can go over the plan one more time.

Thea clutches at her chest once Sosimo leaves. “I’m so nervous.”

Iona nods and drums her fingers on her thigh.

“Yeah, so am I,” Ryder says.

“Me too,” Korbin says.

All the children look at him in surprise.

“What?” Korbin asks.

“You never admit to being nervous,” Iona says.

Thea jumps up. “Yeah. Like never never.”

“This is serious now… It’s the real thing.” Korbin looks around. “We could get in real trouble…”

Ryder pats Korbin on the back. “We’ll be alright Korb. We’ve never practiced so hard in our lives.”

“Do you think we can pull this off?” Thea asks.

“We sure better,” Ryder says.

*****

The children walk in the shadows cast by the buildings from the mid-morning sun. The human district in Sunta is a maze of repetitive streets and apartment towers. Clothes hang to dry from the windows and small balconies, which provides the only source of color and personality. Other humans are either walking or biking to their jobs or heading to the large underground public transit. A few levitraft pass high overhead along invisible lanes.

Iona takes a breath with every other step. Her nerves are in a constant battle with her fatigue, played out on her drooping eyelids. All of the children, in their ratty clothes, are in a similar state after completely draining their Aether prior to setting out.

“So what’s the ball for again?” Thea asks.

Ryder rolls the worn out rubber kickball in his hands. “It does something so the Erohsians can’t see us with all of their stuff. We have to keep it close until we get the other package which will then take over.”

“I wish we didn’t have to get drained. I’m so tired,” Thea says and exaggerates dragging her feet.

“I know it stinks, but this is the best way to sneak past the Erohsians.”

“What do you think the Borukin we’re going to meet looks like?” Thea asks.

“Like a Borukin,” Ryder says. “I’m sure we won’t miss him.”

“But what if he doesn’t show?”

“Sosimo and Grebson have thought of everything for this mission, I’m sure he will.” Ryder turns to Thea. “Do you have any other questions?”

Thea shakes her head. “No.”

They continue to walk down the streets guided by directions Ryder has memorized.

“Are you sure we’re going the right direction?” Thea bursts out as though the question was pent up inside.

Ryder lets out a breath. “Yes Thea, we’re almost there.”

“What if something goes wrong?”

“Sosimo will be watching, so don’t worry. Now enough questions Thea… jeeze.”

Thea looks down at the street. “I just want to rescue Nero and be done with this.”

Iona nods her head. “We all do.”

Finally the claustrophobia of the pressing apartment buildings eases and a large cement field with the occasional hoop or goal is revealed. A scattering of other children are yelling, playing with balls, and chasing each other around.

“This is it.” Ryder drops the ball and kicks it to Korbin. “Let’s kick the ball until he comes, just not too hard.”

The children play with diminishing enthusiasm, continually looking around, and Ryder is constantly forced to make them participate. Suddenly silence deluges the area and the children turn about. Iona sees a large, light gray, seven-person truck pull up to the edge of the gaming area.

“Mini’s!” A random child yells.

Instantly the young ones scatter, leaving only Ryder, Korbin, Thea, and Iona. They all watch the vehicle as a large Borukin steps out, glances at his watch, and surveys the area.

Ryder picks up the ball. “Okay, here we go. Let me and Iona do the talking.”

The Borukin with his large, hasty strides crosses the concrete quickly, eying the children as he comes. “Why’d everyone run?” He asks the children.

Ryder steps forward with his chest out. “Because they thought you were a Mini.”

“And why didn’t you run?”

Iona now steps forward. “Because we aren’t scared of you or them.”

The Borukin smiles and let’s out a chuckle. “Good. Can any of you use Aether?”

Ryder shakes his head. “No why?”

“I’m looking for a few non-bonded human children. Are you interested in making some money?”

“We’re not supposed to talk to anyone who works with the Erohsians,” Ryder says.

Iona grabs Ryder’s arm. “But we could buy a new ball.” She looks down at her ratty shoes. “And some new shoes.”

“It’s just for the day, and it won’t be hard,” the Borukin says. “It looks like you kids could use a little extra something.”

Ryder turns to the Borukin with scrutiny. “Okay we’re listening. What’s the job?”

“The Borukin princess needs your help,” the Borukin says.

“A princess?” Iona asks with feigned excitement.

The Borukin nods. “The one and only Princess Natina.”

“What does she need?” Ryder asks, also with exaggerated excitement.

“She needs help with a royal ceremony for the Erohsians.” The Borukin bites his last words.

“A ceremony for the Mini’s?” Ryder says. “I don’t like it.”

“You will be paid nicely, I promise,” the Borukin continues quickly.

“How much?” Iona asks.

“Enough to buy you all new shoes and a new ball.”

Ryder holds up a finger. “Give us a second.” He pulls the other children into a huddle. “Okay let’s just give him a second to sweat.” Ryder whispers to the other kids. “I think it’s going just how Sosimo wanted.” They break the huddle and Ryder approaches the Borukin who is looking at his watch. “How much are you offering?”

“Twenty Anterren each,” he says.

Ryder thinks for a moment. “Well seeing as this is for the Mini’s, we’re going to need forty.”

“Twenty-five.”

“Forty-five.”

The Borukin throws up his hand. “What? That’s not how you bargain.”

Ryder shrugs. “We said we weren’t scared of you, so don’t try to gyp us. This isn’t something we want to do, and from the looks of it, you’re in a rush, so it’s either forty or you can go find some other kids.” Ryder looks around. “Might be tricky though.”

The Borukin lets out a sigh. “Fine but we need to hurry. The princess is waiting.” He sets off across the concrete and the children have to jog to keep up.

He reaches the Erohsian truck and opens the back door so they can pile in. Ryder drops the ball and jumps in first. When Iona hops in and sits down, the bracelet on her arm suddenly turns cold and her fatigue doubles. That must be the solar system. She looks up front and sees a package on the dash wedged against the window.

An Erohsian escort, in the driver’s seat, looks back at the children and then at the Borukin who is scrunched in the front seat. “Are we ready to head back then?”

The Borukin grabs the package and places it on his lap. “We’re all set.”

The threat of being in the same car as an Erohsian is quickly surpassed by their fatigue and within ten minutes, they are sleeping.

“Hey kids, wake up,” the Borukin says while twisted awkwardly to see them. “We’re almost there.”

Iona blinks her eyes open and looks out the window. The car is just pulling down a ramp under a very large building. Darkness falls over them.

“You’re a sleepy bunch. I hope you have more energy when the princess is around or we’ll both be in trouble.” The car comes to a stop at a security gate.

Iona’s tiredness evaporates as armed Erohsian guards approach the truck from both sides. One of them signals for the Erohsian escort to roll down his window. “Please state your business.”

“Business pertaining to the royal princess of the Borukins.”

The guard scans the escort’s eye and looks through the information on a holographic display. “It says you’re responsible for one Borukin and are authorized to bring back an Erohsian solar system and four non-bonded human children. More servants for the banquet tonight?”

“They’re for the princess’ honorary ceremony tonight,” the Borukin says. “She’s making some last minute adjustments.”

The guard looks in the back of the truck. “We’ll need everyone to get out and be scanned before you pass.”

“Of course.” The escort undoes his seat belt and exits the car followed by the Borukin and the children.

Iona holds her breath as the guard walks down the line, scanning the identification and Aether of each of the children.

The guard reaches the Borukin with the package carefree. “And this is the solar system? Please remove it from the package.”

The Borukin carefully removes a dark hemisphere and holds it out to the Erohsian.

The guard scans it. “Aether’s a bit high, but it’s still under the regulation limits.” He hangs the scanner from a strap around his neck and takes the projector. A small button on the side spawns a holographic display of the solar system with a pink sun and the planets slowly rotating about. He clicks it off. “A pink sun?”

The Borukin shrugs. “Girls…”

“Okay then, everything checks out, you may proceed,” the guard says handing the Borukin the package.

Back in the car, the children relax and without the adrenaline from the security check point, their fatigue hits them full force. After winding deeper through the parking structure, the escort finds a place for the truck and shuffles everyone out. The children drag their feet as he escorts them to an elevator where he uses an eyeball scanner to reach the 60th floor.

They funnel through the elevator at the 60th floor and walk down a hallway to a set of propped open, double doors. The area expands to a large terrace that is sheltered by a half-domed ceiling made entirely of glass. From every angle the room looks out at the buildings of Sunta to the far edges that make up its boundaries. Looking straight up, Iona can see the building continue towards the sky; too many floors above to count. The terrace is populated with tables covered by white cloth and at the close end and facing towards the city is a stage where Natina and other Borukins are rehearsing. Grebson is standing off to the side watching. His focus shifts to the group of children as they enter.

“No, no, no, no, NO!” Natina stomps her foot. “This is not good enough.”

The Erohsian escort walks up to the stage. “Excuse me princess. We have finished your errands. Please let me know if you need anything else.”

Natina quickly glances at the escort. “I will.” She hops down from the stage and approaches the children and the Borukin. “You were sure taking your time.”

The Borukin dips his head. “I’m sorry princess. I went as fast as I could.”

“Let me see the solar system.”

The Borukin pulls it from the box and turns it on. “It was the only one with a pink sun. I was lucky to find it.”

“That will do.” Natina turns her attention on the children. “And these are the humans you found?” She walks around them. “They’re not much to look at.” She grabs Korbin’s arm and lifts it up. “This one is nothing but skin and bones.”

Korbin’s face turns red and he pulls his arm back.

“I’m sorry,” the Borukin says. “I didn’t know there were aesthetic requirements.”

She waves her hand and walks back to the stage. “They’ll do.”

Grebson moves forward. “I’ll take them to get changed.”

Natina turns to him before she hops back up to the other performers. “Be quick about it, we’re short on time.”

Grebson dips his head and moves to the Borukin. “You must forgive the princess’ short temper. She is stressed with the new additions to her ceremony.”

The Borukin hands Grebson the package. “I understand. I can’t imagine what she’d be like if you didn’t give me those tips on where to find the pink solar system and the children, it saved me a lot of time.”

“I’m glad for both of our sakes it worked out.” Grebson turns to the children. “Follow me,” and he leads them out of the banquet room and to a small side room before the elevator. “So far so good,” he says to the children. “This is where you’ll be when you’re waiting and resting.”

He opens the package and pops off the bottom of the solar system projector. One by one he pulls out little crystal slivers and hands one to each child. Instantly the bracelet on Iona’s wrist warms and her incredible fatigue lightens.

Korbin shakes his limbs. “That was horrible.”

Grebson hands them each a candy bar. “This should help bring back some of your energy.”

“How’d those things work?” Iona asks holding the crystal up to the light.

“They’re talismans that have the drawing part and the conversion part separated. The bracelet draws your Aether and sends it to the conversion part. An Aether sink in the projector continued to absorb the Aether from the conversion part so your Aether levels stayed exceptionally low. It’s a clever little Artifact Sosimo made.” Grebson points to some clothes lying off to the side. “Those are your clothes. Change and wash up a bit. You’ll have to practice with Natina first but then you’ll have some time to rest and eat. After your ceremony, Nero will be up. Hurry back here and grab your gear from the cabinet under the water jug. A Moltrik pulse grenade, an extra doorman, and an invisibility bracelet are in there for Nero as well.”

“But Nero doesn’t have Aether to use it with.” Thea’s confusion is knit into her brows.

“Just tell him he can draw from the doorman if he needs.” Grebson opens the cabinet and places the solar system projector in it. “Make sure to bring this out with you. We don’t want to leave any trail.”

“Okay we will,” Ryder says.

“And remember that half the plan is escaping which will be easiest if it stays quiet, so only make your move when you’re confident you’ll have some privacy and minimal surprises. You’ll also want a good place to hide the unconscious Erohsians so your best bet will probably be the holding area.” Grebson walks to the door. “Don’t be long. I’ll be waiting outside.”

The boys and girls wash up with some paper towels and a little bit of water and change on opposite sides of the room into yellow gowns with hoods.

“Can you believe she said I was skinny?” Korbin asks.

Thea laughs. “Yeah that was funny. I almost giggled.”

“She’s a really good actor,” Ryder says. “If I didn’t know any better I’d be scared of her.” He pats down his outfit. “Everyone ready?”

Grebson leads the children back to the banquet to be pulled into Natina’s relentless drive for perfection where she berates the children at every opportunity. She coaches them to carry a large chest on their shoulders while keeping their heads down and moving about the stage with Borukin dancers. At the end of their performance they kneel at the center of the stage and Natina rehearses her presentation of her gift and speech.

After several hours of repetitive practice, Natina finally releases the children. They stumble back to their little room and before Korbin can begin to complain about Natina’s drive, they see a meal waiting for them.

With stuffed bellies, their nerves begin to nag their minds. Thea spastically moves about with anxious conversation, Iona sits in the corner with her head against the wall, Korbin fidgets with whatever he can get his hands on, and Ryder paces about the room while pushing on his front teeth with his thumb. After what seems like a whole day of waiting, they are served one more small meal and informed the banquet will be commencing soon.

*****

Iona waits in the hallway with her hood pulled over her head and the ceremonial chest supported by her and the other children. The double doors leading to the banquet room are closed but still the applause coming from the other side is audible. When the applause dies, an assistant does one last check of the performers and opens the doors with guards on either side.

The dancers lined in front of the children quickly move, exposing Iona to the full view of the guests. Borukins and Erohsians alike in formal attire are situated about tables with centerpieces of glass flowers that glow ever so slightly in different colors.

Iona quickly dips her head. There’s so many people. Her heart begins to race. There’s so many Erohsians…

“We can do this,” Ryder whispers. “Just like we practiced.”

He steps forward with the chest and the rest of the children are forced to enter the room. The second step comes easier and soon they are moving towards the stage where the dancers have already begun. They pass by tables easily within arm’s reach and every time Iona sees a face out of the corner of her eye, she dips her head lower, hoping the hood will shield her from the Erohsians hunting them.

After executing their practiced maneuvers, they end kneeling besides the chest facing the audience. The bright lights of the stage cast the dinning tables in darkness while the city lights twinkle like a field of wild flowers through the glass dome of the terrace.

Natina approaches the chest and pulls out a green carving of a Drake twisted about itself. “General Lark, I would like to present you with this statue of a Drake as a symbol of the time you spent with us when we shared our beloved games with you.”

The audience claps politely and momentarily the hard rubber soles of an Erohsian thuds across the stage. Iona sees the grey boots out of the corner of her hood walk right by her.

“Thank you Princess Natina,” the general says. “I will never forget my time in Kiats. It was a great honor and I hope our races can continue to share what we both hold dear as there is a lot we can learn from one another.”

The audience applauds again and the general and Natina leave the stage, followed by the dancers, and then the children with the empty chest.

Almost done! Iona forces her self to walk at the same pace as the others but her body wants to do nothing but run.

They leave the banquet room, drop off the chest, and fight to maintain composure until they close the door behind themselves in their rest room.

Thea jumps up. “We did it! That was so scary. I thought for sure someone would recognize us.”

“Shh,” Ryder says. “We still have the hard part to go so don’t relax yet.” Ryder removes the gear from the cabinet under the water jug and hands it out. “Get dressed. We don’t have much time until Nero’s up.”

They change their clothes to match the servant uniforms of the other humans at the banquet and strap on the lepisents under their sleeves. Finally Ryder exchanges their old ID talismans with fake Erohsian ones and packs up their previous clothes and the solar system projector into his gear bag. Iona puts the large pulse grenade in a sling.

Ryder hands the bag to Korbin. “I’m going to go take a look. When the ceremony with Nero is almost over, I’ll come back and get you.” Ryder slips out the door.

Thea paces about the room. “This is nerve racking.”

Korbin nods. “Tell me about it. Nero better be happy to see us.”

“I’m sure he will,” Iona says.

Ryder dips back into the room five minutes later. “The ceremony is wrapping up, we’ll hang out in the hall until Nero passes and then follow him.” Ryder hands out a clear string with knots to Korbin, Thea, and Iona. “Alright let’s go invisible. Just like we practiced with Sosimo and Grebson.”

Each child blinks out of view as they put on the bracelets and when they have all disappeared the door cracks open. A moment later Iona feels a tug on the string and follows the pull into the hall. Two Erohsian guards are let into the hallway from the banquet room in formal attire with a small figure dressed in black robes. That must be Nero. Iona holds her breath as the guards pass and only starts to breathe when the tug on the line in her hand brings her back to reality. We’re okay. They can’t see us. The guards lead Nero down the hall and to one of the elevators that goes to the higher portions of the building. Hopefully this goes better than practice…

The elevator opens and Nero is forced forward towards the back. Iona imagines Ryder taking his position in the corner of the elevator and Korbin moving in next. One of the guards scans his eye and selects a restricted level higher up. He pushes the close door button right when Iona feels a tug on the line and she squeezes through sideways as it shuts. She squishes up against another invisible body and the door, keeping as far away from the Erohsians as possible.

Iona looks at Nero under his black hood and sees him smiling, staring right back at her. Can he see us?

One of the guards smacks Nero on the side of the arm. “What are you smiling about? The only prisoners who go to this floor are the ones that never leave with their minds intact. They’re going to put your brain through a blender human. What did you do to deserve such a ceremony?”

Nero dips his head.

“Okay then. Hold your tongue while you can, because it’s a luxury you won’t have when they start working on you. There’s really no reason they’ll hold back―” The guard holds his hand up to his ear piece with a small speaker attached to it. “Yes we have him and are on our way now ― Yes sir, we’ll change the plan. We should be there shortly.” The guard looks down at Nero. “Well it looks like they’re not wasting any time. You’re going straight to Capping and Extracting. Aren’t you a lucky one?” He asks as he selects a floor several stories higher.

The elevator stops briefly and then begins again. Iona tenses for the coming task and visualizes the seamless movements they practiced with the Borukins.

Please don’t trip.

The elevator stops and the door begins to open.

“I’m not going,” Nero says to the guards.

The guards look at each other and smile. “So there’s a little fight left in you after all?”

“I always find it funny that you can make just about anyone lead the way to their end with the proper encouragement,” The other guard pulls out a thin retractable baton. “Isn’t that right?” He asks Nero.

Nero shakes his head and the guard whacks his leg with the stick. Nero lets out a yelp and sinks just a little before righting himself.

The guard hits his legs again. “Lead the way and I’ll stop.” The stick lashes out two more times.

“Okay!” Nero cries with tears in his eyes. “I’ll go.”

“It’s never too late to teach a human new tricks,” the guard holding the elevator open says.

The other guard chuckles. “Isn’t that the truth?”

By the time Nero exits the elevator, the rest of the children are already out and waiting to the side of the hall. Nero looks at Iona and smiles as he passes. Thanks Nero.

The guards prod Nero down the hall and direct him to a secured metal door.

“This is the end of your road. If you’re going to beg… now’s the time to do it,” one of the guards says.

Nero remains silent while the guard scans his eye at a security panel. The door clicks and he pulls it open.

“Suit yourself,” he says and pushes Nero through the door.

Iona crosses her fingers as the last guard enters the doorway and the door closes. She visualizes Ryder sliding a thin piece of metal in the door jam so the latch doesn’t catch. “Did you get it?” She whispers.

“I think so,” Ryder says. “Alright everyone ready?”

“Yes,” each of the children whisper in turn, their voices seeming to come from the air itself.

“Iona you go first and throw the grenade as soon as you can. They should be close to Nero so just aim for him. We’ll follow as best we can and try to surround the guards. As soon as the grenade goes off, remove the bracelets and we’ll stun the remainders. Hopefully they’ll be close together so the grenade does most of the work.”

“Are you sure it’s a good idea to be throwing the grenade so close to Nero?” Thea asks.

“Grebson said he can take it,” Ryder says.

“We should have just taken him in the elevator,” Korbin says. “We were right there.”

“That would have been too risky. Remember what Grebson said?” Ryder asks. “Too many unknowns, and we wouldn’t have been able to hide the guards very easily. At least here we’ll have some privacy. Now let’s get this over with. Iona, on your word, I’ll open the door and follow you all in last.”

Iona drops the line, pulls out the large cylinder grenade, and feels her way around Thea and Korbin, up to Ryder. “Okay I’m ready.”

“Let’s do this.” Ryder opens the door.

Iona rushes through, quickly trying to make sense of her surroundings. She picks out Nero but freezes as five light-infantry Erohsian soldiers, the two guards, and a few scientists turn towards the door. Soldiers?!

Suddenly she is slammed from behind and topples over with a yelp.

“Hostiles. Take cover!” One of the soldiers yells.

Iona struggles to untangle herself from the mess of limbs. The soldiers move away from Nero and take cover behind tables and other electrical equipment.

“Throw it,” Ryder yells.

Iona pulls herself free and throws the grenade at Nero.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.7M 797K 69
"The Hacker and the Mob Boss" ❦ Reyna Fields seems to be an ordinary girl with her thick-framed glasses, baggy clothes, hair always up in a ponytail...
226M 6.9M 92
When billionaire bad boy Eros meets shy, nerdy Jade, he doesn't recognize her from his past. Will they be able to look past their secrets and fall in...
1.7M 17.3K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...
2.1K 40 20
Terra Invita!! by Max Pichardo. War... will never change but the concept will be directed at the other side. Humans are strange creatures, we are...