The Trailokya Trilogy, Book O...

By KellyWilliams701

My gift to my fellow Wattpaders. The first part of the series will be here indefinitely. Also housing the com... More

TTB1:TTS Book Trailer #1
TTB1: TTS Book Trailer #2
Descent
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
More to come...

Chapter 15

85 3 0
By KellyWilliams701

SEPHR HUNCHED OVER a swiftly spinning grinding wheel. Sparks sprayed in every direction. A pair of dark round goggles protected his eyes from any stray metal flakes. Straightening from the wheel, he flipped a lever and the goggles became clear. He marveled at the smooth finish of a long silver blade. The alloy was burning hot to the touch and sharp enough to cleave steel. He turned and passed the weapon back to its owner, Mikhael.

"There, now. Promise you won't break it this time. That is some of my best work. I would hate to scrap it."

Mikhael grinned, taking his sword in hand. He eyed the blade, pleased with the work. Giving it a try, he swung it through the air. The blade sang with each pass. Then he checked the carved chalcopyrite pommel to be sure the ore hadn't been harmed in the mending. The peacock tones of the stone glinted at him.

"That depends on what the dark princes make me do. It'll be a cold day in hell when I let them take Captain Maiel without a fight," Mikhael said.

Sephr looked across the space, filled with all the tools and equipment a smith could need. Two of his arms men hammered a new sword on the other side of the room. A proud youngling was soon to be made. The pounding hammers couldn't pound the thoughts out of Mikhael's head, and the warmth of the company couldn't take away the cold he felt. He looked through the great window on the western wall. The sun had set and the moon rose in its place.

"If they don't return soon, it'll be known throughout Zion," Sephr said.

Mikhael sheathed his sword and looked as stoic as ever.

"They'll be here soon," Mikhael assured him.

Sephr nodded, and his friend put an arm about his shoulder. They walked out of the smithy into the cool air. The night was silent as it blanketed Zion in a dark cobalt hue. The early stars twinkled and the moon peeked above the skyline of the citadel like an enormous ghost. A sudden scraping sound roused them from their watch. They turned back to the doors.

Gediel and Luthias came along the west mall, a causeway that fenced the base of the armory. Between them, they carried the broken guardian they believed lost to them. Mikhael rushed to help. He easily assisted Gamael, allowing his rescuers to catch their breath. The old engel smiled, looking as though he would faint into a trance at any moment.

"You've looked better, old friend," Mikhael said to him. To the others, he added, "Let's get him inside where he can rest."

"I have to question him before we take him for healing," Gediel said, concerned he was about to lose his information inside Zion.

The others turned to the svarg, noticing the damage to his armor and wings and couldn't help but see the pained tilt of his trunk.

"I'm not going to betray you. Make the questions quick. They expect him before the moon has fully risen. Perhaps you should go with him," Mikhael said.

Gediel nodded, running a hand through his hair.

"There's no time for that."

Sephr retreated inside to gather a stool and pitcher of water from the armory shop. He brought the items to where they could set Gamael against the outer ring wall. The guardian barely held himself up. His head lolled sleepily. Gediel knelt at his side, taking the bruised arm in greeting.

"You're safe now, Gamael."

The old engel opened his eyes and stared at him. He placed his broken hand on Gediel's head with thanks. A small smile curled his mouth and tears filled his eyes.

"I owe you my life, boy," Gamael croaked.

Sephr offered the old guardian a clay mug of water. He took it in his broken hands and stared inside the cup.

"Rest a moment before we take you to the alders for healing," Gediel told him.

Gamael nodded and dryly muttered something unintelligible. He drank from the pitcher, nearly exhausting himself in the effort. Water seeped through his damaged tunic. The extent of his injuries told them they had little time before he fell into a coma.

"Do you have enough strength to answer a few questions?"

"For you, boy, I'll do anything."

Gediel's eyes lit up with hope.

"Do you know why they took you?"

"They wanted the child. They said she would bring them the red erela. I didn't know who that was until they called her name in their infernal halls. I refused to help them, so they chained me. Each time I refused further, they beat me. The visions they tortured me with—I told myself it was their trickery. I did not relent."

"Did they say why they wanted her?"

"They said she would rule the labyrinth when they had done with me and she would see to my end if I didn't help them. I didn't believe them. They lie," Gamael answered.

"Rightly so. Maiel would sooner eat Argus than turn," Sephr growled.

"Did they say anything else that you remember?" Gediel pressed.

"They want war, but so it is always. They said this time they would win and they would take back Zion. The princes had found a way," Gamael

said, growing more faint. "Mikhael would be too weak with grief to stop them—losing—his friends," Gamael forced out.

"So it is always," Gediel breathed, putting a steadying hand on the old man's shoulder. "We'll take you to rest now, Gamael. Don't tell anyone we spoke to you of this."

"Something's wrong," Gamael said. "One shouldn't reside inside Zion if he's fallen so low," he added, hardly knowing what he said.

"That's why it's best that you rest and speak to no one," Gediel said, suspecting Gamael had heard more, but was too weak to concentrate. "You'll be safe, noble guardian."

Gamael looked at him, assured of that.

"He's poisoned. Nails pin him down," the Leo guardian said, his eyes glazed with pain.

Gediel frowned.

"Evocati, take him to the alders," Gediel said, rising to his full height with some difficulty.

Luthias did as asked, accompanied by one of the wolves. Gediel played with the straps of his bracers and stared into the darkness, not watching him go. Lost deep in thought, he didn't see Chiron take a seat in front of him and stare expectantly, waiting for orders. Gediel was too distracted with planning his next move and putting together what Gamael said with the rest of what they knew.

"Morgentus might have convinced Belial to do this, but he's not just doing it to open the gates of Jahannam. If causing her to fall starts a war, then he'll be raised in his master's esteem, certainly. It's more than that. I'd wager that Morgentus has been manipulated by his dear prince," Gediel said.

Silence fell.

"Why have they chosen Maiel? Are there no whores in all of Jahannam to satisfy them?" Sephr asked, disgusted.

"Because she crossed swords with the baron and left her mark. She escaped, but not without leaving them with something. Morgentus wants revenge, for as long as he can stand her. And he thought telling Belial it would hurt Mikhael was simply a clever manipulation. However, Belial manipulated him. He wants her to hurt you. He knows what she is to you, General," Gediel replied, gesturing toward the general with his last words.

"Her loss would hurt us all, but I'm not willing to fall to my knees over this. I love her as a daughter, yes, but I will not fall for it. It must be more than you see yet," Mikhael said.

"The more hurt, the greater the revenge. Morgentus and his master both get what they want. If only she had never set foot in Acheron. They would not know what we do," Sephr said, looking out over the city to hide the despair in his eyes.

Gediel shook his head. He wasn't satisfied with the explanation that Morgentus worked this out alone, nor that his ruler double-played him.

"There must be more than just causing a captain of your legion to fall. I agree, General. It doesn't explain the flame inside Dominic or his involvement. They would just take her if they wanted to rape her," Gediel mumbled. He turned. "I have to find Jushur. You'll need to tell the others my assignment is going to take longer than I suspected and I'll be delayed until the next moonrise, at least."

Sephr nodded and the wolf leader took off, running east. His form was a streak of light quickly followed by two others. Sephr looked to Mikhael.

"Not a word," Mikhael said, gritting his teeth. "Ready the battalions.

Belial won't be easily put off. He'll want his war and, by Adonai, we'll give it to him. Weak with grief—he'll see. He'll not take my soldiers without me taking his hide," Mikhael promised, with a grave mien.

* * *

Joel crossed his arms and sat back against the stone frame of the western Earth gate. Across from him, Zaajah stared into the vessel that occupied the center of the ways. The bit of gold hair they had taken from him allowed them to follow Dominic's every move. This was meant to keep them less tempted to aid him, and allow the man to prove himself. Such sights, as those in the farmhouse, pinched Zaajah's brows together. She sighed, seeing their assign leave the safety of the farm and the  help of the guardians who lived there. Zaajah stepped back, drained by the stress of the visions. Her eyes went to the silent virtue who still stood beside the north arch. The sentinel had kept her silence since their travelers went through the Samsara gate; she was put there to observe and report to the council.

Zaajah wandered to the arch through which Zacharius pushed Dominic. He saw that she contemplated joining him. His muscles tensed, ready to join her if she did. At his side, Zacharius stirred from a deep meditation. The elder engel rose and took notice of Zaajah, too. A frown pulled down the corners of his mouth as he suspected the same.

"Lena and Dominic still struggle in the land of the lion," Zacharius said. His voice brought Zaajah out of her deliberation. She looked to them, masking her emotions perfectly, but was too late for her to deny if she was accused. "Morgentus sends his rabble to stop them. He haunts our khata himself, thinking he can woo her to his side. His efforts are relentless."

"She'll not give in to him," Zaajah said.

"Maiel's atman forms a bio-vessel. Her presence weakens in my heart. I'm afraid they may succeed," Zacharius said going to the font. He stared at the vision. "There's still some hope."

"What have you seen?" Joel asked.

"She's found refuge in a monastery. There's a man there who was once one of us," Zacharius said.

"A fallen one?" Zaajah asked worriedly.

"One who has devoted his time to returning to Zion."

"Who?" Joel asked.

"That I can't see. I need to go to Akash and seek that record," Zacharius said, touching the fluid inside the bowl.

The image rippled, going out of focus, just like the vision had. The focus was now on a man none of them were familiar with.

"We can't afford to involve anyone else. Think of another way," Alex said entering the room.

Zacharius continued to watch the image in the kapalanum. He said nothing in opposition to his amba's order. She joined him at the vessel and he quickly returned to his observation of Dominic. Alex cast him a suspicious glance, but then settled her eyes on what developed.

Their amba returned from a visit with Matula Magiel to measure the temperature of the council and let them know the mission was underway. The worn look of her features attested to the strain the visit put her under. Matula Magiel shared something that didn't bode well for the mission. Joel was sure the council would rescind their permission, leaving his khata to her own devices. Even if they did, he was sure Dominic would refuse to return. Whatever overcame him would take root, devastating the years of work they had done, and ensure Morgentus's success. Were they so blind to that outcome?

"What did Matula Magiel say?" Joel asked, unable to wait for his amba to share.

Alex's features were dressed in gloom.

"Mikhael prepares the battalions for war. You'll be summoned to your regiments when they are ready."

"Ibajah will command the regiment in my absence. I'll not leave here until she returns," Zaajah said.

"As will my leader, Rathiel," Joel told her.

"You risk angering the council by your words. But, I'm thankful for your devotion," Alex warned.

"She's our khata. I'd cut off my own arm and eat it before I let them leave her there so they can fight their war," Joel said.

"The council has looked toward war with the princes of Jahannam for some time. This is just an excuse to let them wage it," Zaajah spat.

"If Dux Horus hears you say that," Alex smiled a little. She touched Zaajah's face to console her. "I suspect something is happening within the ranks of the alders that hasn't happened for some time. Whatever passes from this moment forward, we focus on returning Maiel to her rightful place. There may still be losses we have to accept," she said, returning to the kapalanum and watching Dominic walk an old road in the dark of night.

Joel understood her meaning and it struck him a mortal blow. His khata was less likely to leave her husband behind than they were to leave her on Earth. To work toward that would only cripple their chances. He neared the kapalanum and placed his hands on the rim. Someone needed to take action. Dominic needed their help, regardless of what they wanted for him. Having decided to go against orders already, there was no reason not to continue and win this small battle for the greater good.

"We work with Earth time then. What are Dominic's obstacles, Zacharius?" Joel asked, assuming command from Alex.

Zacharius raised an eyebrow, noting the shift in who had the upper hand. Joel was very brave for going against their amba, but she was in no way prepared to fight this battle. Her son had practice in tactics on the field of fire. One of them had to command and he was the wiser choice. As a guardian and as a soldier, he had been to Samsara a time or two. His skills to handle the next steps were far superior to that of any alder. More than that, he was Dominic's friend and could predict the man's  moves with better accuracy than anyone except maybe his guardian.

Zaajah stepped to Joel's side in a show of support. Two guardians faced a pair of alders. Zacharius clasped his hands and stepped to a neutral position beside the kapalanum. His move didn't declare a side, but he wasn't favoring their amba either.

Alex's gaze lowered in acceptance.

"He must make his way from the lion cliffs to the nest of the great turul in the east—without currency. It'll make his voyage nearly impossible in mortal flesh," Zacharius said, sharing the rest of his vision.

The entrance of the ways opened and Mikhael appeared. They stared as he joined him; they were rather surprised he stepped from his lofty seat to watch this. He was the supreme commander of the first legion and should have been busy fielding orders as they prepared to go into battle. Instead, he joined Joel beside the font. Joel blinked, not sure what to say, suspecting he was about to take both him and Zaajah to their orders, or worse. He swallowed in anticipation of bad news. Had they decided to leave his khata to fend for herself?

"Take him this, but offer him no further assistance. I expect to see you both when the time comes and your leaders can apprise you quickly of the battle strategies," Mikhael said, unlooping the strings of a small purse tied to his belt. It rattled with coins.

Joel took the bag, confused. The timing was uncanny. He opened his mouth to question the gift, but decided otherwise.

"Don't defy me," Mikhael warned.

"As you wish it, commander," Joel stammered, examining the general's face for the answer to his unspoken question.

"Gamael has been retrieved. We learned nothing, as he's badly wounded," Mikhael said.

Joel and the others were saddened by the information. Mikhael smiled consolingly and then stepped near the virtue, saying no more. He regarded the guide of the ways, making it known by a simple glance that none of this was to pass beyond the door he came through. Joel went to the gate that  would take him to his friend. He stared at the surface. He could only pass through once and worried this was a poor use of his turn. The seconds ticked by.

"Go to him, but remain cloaked until he has need of you. Give him the money as I said, but only when you're sure he'll use it wisely. This will tell us how much time he has left," the general said.

Joel nodded and cast an unsure glance over his shoulder. Touching the gold circle pinned to the shoulder of his uniform, he prepared for the worst that Samsara had to offer. Protected by the armor of his order, he crossed through the shimmering way to complete the task.

Joel stepped from a brilliant vertical shaft of blue light. It faded, as if the worlds slid back together, a scar healing instantly in the firmament. The faint odor of accursed fire tickled his nostrils. With a  sickened frown, he looked for the man he came for. An automobile hurried up the road past him, flashing its lights. The dark shadows of Dominic and Lena were revealed only for a moment by the light.

Joel slid nearer, passing him unseen. The smell of sulfur grew stronger. He ducked into the trees and waited. From his vantage in a steep ditch, the shadow of his friend was contoured by moonlight. At Dominic's side, the soft glimmer of his guardian was a shining apparition. Joel's heart warmed with the girl's bravery. She smiled despite the recent attack by a devious incubus. It seemed little dogged her spirit.

Joel leaned against the tree to wait until they passed. The rhythmic cadence of Dominic's boots against the hardened earth drew closer. Joel's radiant gaze followed. The flash of his eyes attracted Lena's attention. Joel stepped from the shadows, a finger before his lips. Lena grinned, overjoyed to see him.

The pair continued. Joel used the opportunity to reconnoiter the road behind them. He suspected there would be followers drawn to the strange energy of the odd couple. In no time, shades and imps scooted along the ditch and road. Joel quickly dispatched the nuisances and proceeded  after his friends. Straggling, he kept a watchful eye, as Zach suggested. If Dominic realized he had come, then the man would not only beg for help, but would make it impossible to assess his progress. Dominic needed this journey to help himself realize he was capable and to secure the safety of his wife. If they gave him more than was necessary, then that lesson would be delayed until the next catastrophe. There was one thing he was right about: they'd neglected his real need, coddling him like a delicate bit of porcelain instead of teaching him what he needed to reinforce an upward path.

Hours passed before they walked through a real village. Joel wandered closer, keeping his companions in sight, lest unwitting shades thought to pester them. Lena peered over her shoulder,  chewing the fingernails of one hand. She sensed trouble. Joel gestured her to remain calm, but her glances attracted Dominic's attention.

"What is it?"

"Nothing," Lena lied.

Dominic frowned, knowing better.

Joel joined them, allowing himself to be seen before his friend exploded, goaded by annoyance and mistrust. The gold armor at first startled Dominic. He jumped back, ready to fight, then realized his friend had come and relaxed, shamefaced. Joel laughed.

"You're not moving fast enough," Joel said.

"It's good to see you," Dominic breathed.

"I just came to give you this."

Joel handed him the purse. Dominic took the delivery, just as confused as his friend when he received it from Mikhael. From the pouch, he pulled a wad of paper bills. He looked to his friend, his brow  deeply furrowed.

"Money? Where did you get this?"

"You'll need it to continue further. We landed you as close as the last signal allowed, but she's moved since then, and rapidly. Mikhael sends the bag with the express order not to help you further. Let's just say I didn't exactly obey. The path behind is clear, but there are enemies ahead. Find transportation and go east. Zacharius said she's in the nest of the great turul.  I hope that makes some sense to you."

"What the hell is a turul?" Dominic scowled.

"I don't pretend to understand an alder's visions. I apologize, but he had no other answer than that. I must go," Joel replied. Dominic looked disappointed.

"Hurry, akha. Her time grows short. Guide him well. Guide him quickly.

Morgentus's minions come for you both," he added, to encourage them. Joel faded from their view. Dominic stared for a moment longer, wise enough to know his brother hadn't gone. Lena looked to her assign, chewing her finger again.

"Maybe it's an animal? Like England. England has a lion. If it has a nest it might be a dragon or a bird," Lena said.

"Maybe. Let's see if we can get a ride south. Joel's right. We're taking too long this way."

Dominic gave up on his friend and led the girl deeper into the village as dawn drew near. She looked back several times, quite able to see Joel standing there. A plea was clear on her face, but he could give them no further assistance. Joel frowned apologetically.

"We should ask someone about the two-rule," Lena said, taking Dominic's hand.

"The only bird I remember in Europe is an eagle that flew over Germany. It's better than nothing and I know where it is." Dominic sighed, still feeling slighted.

Joel followed them and they soon discovered a lonely rail station.

"Amersham. Now we know where we are again. If only we had maps," Dominic said, reading the rail sign.

A train whistle split the peace and they moved to inquire about passage at the ticket counter. Dominic was reasoning out that he had to get to the continent. Good.

Joel took his leave, assured the pair would make wise use of Mikhael's gift. Drawing his sword, he then raised his free hand. The Zion Seal illumined in the air, glowing with bluish electricity through the  lettering and symbols. He pressed a sequence of squares and the way opened to him. He looked toward Lena and her assign; he was uneasy that he could not stay. Stepping into the light, he left them to their duty and returned to the others, waiting for news.

Joel passed back into the room with the kapalanum. Mikhael had gone. Zaajah watched the water in the font, keeping close watch of their delegate. He sensed the urgent pulse in her energy. Joel joined her, holding his tongue. No one spoke. Despite their silence, it was clear that from this point forward Dominic and Lena worked alone. If they succeeded, they would be heralded as heroes. If they failed, they would be shunned as outcasts.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.7M 254K 34
Those who were taken... They never came back, dragged beneath the waves never to return. Their haunting screams were a symbol of their horrific death...
28.8M 915K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...
27.2K 53 11
baca ajaa, terserah. ga suka ga usah dibacaa Tapi jangan lupa vote. Boleh request mau yg gimna, komen ajaaaa Siapa tau ada yang pengin request bisa c...
88.1K 2.5K 26
"๐œ๐š๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ž ๐ข'๐ฏ๐ž ๐ก๐š๐ ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ฒ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ง๐ , ๐›๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ง๐จ ๐จ๐ง๐ž'๐ฌ ๐ฅ๐ข๐ฌ๐ญ๐ž๐ง๐ข๐ง๐ , ๐š๐ง๐...