Less Than Three

By DarcyVance

Sometimes <3 means like. Sometimes <3 means love. Like the emotions it represents, sometimes <3 get... More

Chapter One: The M-Bomb
Chapter Two: Corn Dogs and Orange Soda
Chapter 3: Miss Buttered Popcorn
Chapter 4: WWAGGD?
Chapter 5: How to Bust a Superstition
Chapter 6: Heartbreak of the 80's
Chapter 7: A Plume of Dust on a (not so) Lonely Road
Chapter 8: Of Faucets and Feathers and Boys Who Do NOT Give Up
Chapter 9: Go Figure
Chapter 10: A First Rate Explosion
Chapter 11: If Only ...
Chapter 12: Goo Goo Eyes
Chapter 13: Sure. Fine. Whatever.
Chapter 14: Sounds Like a Plan to Me
Chapter 15: Happily Ever After, Here We Come!
Chapter16: Is That Your Tongue in His Ear or Are You Just Happy to See Him?
Chapter 17: And We Were Falling, Falling ...
Chapter 18: Way Big Cosmic Voodoo
Chapter 19: Soothing My Savage Beast
Chapter 20: Avast, Ye Mateys!
Chapter 21: Re-establishmentarianism
Chapter 22: Swashbuckled
Chapter 23: Death Metal
Chapter 24: A Disturbance in the Force
Chapter 25: Further Notes to Self
Chapter 26: Love Stinks.
Chapter 28: S'more
Dear Santa
Chapter 29: Imagine That
Chapter 30: An Exercise in Decision Making
Chapter 31: Of Teeter Totters and the Consequences of Shifting
Chapter 32: To Dye For
Chapter 33: It. Is. Done.
Chapter 34: The All Star Pony Princess, De-throned
Chapter 35: Imbroglio-ed
Chapter 36: WhatWouldWileECoyoteDo?
Chapter 37: Manners, Custom and Fashion
Chapter 38: Do You Smell Smoke?
Chapter 39: This Way to Madagascar
Chapter 40: Color My World
Chapter 41: In Which I Become Someone Else
Chapter 42: With Loud Mouth Hearts
Chapter 43: Holes
Chapter 44: The Regular Rhythmic Contraction of the Heart
So You Want an Epilogue?

Chapter 27: The Guy Code

9.9K 594 161
By DarcyVance

Tuesday, June 24,  3:12 AM

Term of the Day: Scrimmage - a preliminary battle.

I feel a scrimmage coming on.

c-bob 2: She's like a Summer Day ~ and I bask in her glow ~ She's the one for me ~ I want her to know ~ oh ~ oh~

summer: QUIT leaving comments.

c-bob 2: Can't sleep, huh?

summer: Nope.

c-bob 2: Me neither. Did you hear the dedication?

summer: Yep.

c-bob 2: Talk to me.

summer: Nope.

c-bob 2: Why not?

summer: Someone will see.

c-bob 2: No they won't. It's the middle of the night. I've got you all to myself (for once).

summer: There's not much to talk about.

c-bob 2: Oh yeah? I can think of a million things.

summer: Really? I can only think of one.

c-bob 2: Let's talk about that.

summer: Nope.

c-bob 2: Then we'll talk about something else. Got any suggestions?

summer: How about this? What are you doing at Craig's in the middle of the night? I thought you were just there to feed the dog – oh, and to read my blog. We can't forget that.

c-bob 2: I tried to leave but Daisy won't let me. She says it's lonely here all by herself. I agree. Why don't you sneak over?

summer: Yeah, right.

Dave explained that his parents were visiting his grandmother for a few days. It was easier to stay at Craig's house to take care of the dog than it was to get rides back and forth. I wanted to ask Dave about his grandmother. The last time he mentioned her, he'd seemed sad. 

Of course, the last time he mentioned her was also shortly before the first time he kissed me, so bringing up the subject was tricky. I plowed ahead anyway.

summer: Tell me about her.

c-bob 2: Her who?

summer: Your grandmother.

c-bob 2: She's, well, she's sick.

summer: Want to talk about that?

c-bob 2: Not really. I just hope she gets better. She's a pretty cool grandma. Did I tell you she took me to my first concert?

summer: Really? Who did you see?

c-bob 2: PaperKut.

summer: You're joking, right? My grandma took me to a concert once: The All Star Pony Princesses Live.

c-bob 2: I never figured you for a Pony Princess kind of girl.

summer: Trust me, I'm not.

Dave Brown's grandma drives a convertible. She plays the harmonica at Thanksgiving. And she loves to golf. At least ... she did before she got sick. He went into silence mode for a few minutes after he told me that. I was figuring we had come to the end of our conversation when he typed:

c-bob 2: Hey, when are we going to try that golf lesson?

I didn't want to be all discouraging while he was probably already sad about his grandmother, but what choice did I have?

summer: You know, Dave, we should probably avoid being together for awhile. Easier that way.

c-bob 2: Easier for who?

summer: Both of us.

c-bob 2: I thought you said you couldn't stand it if we weren't friends any more?

summer: I did. I couldn't.

c-bob 2: But friends have to see each other sometimes, don't they? Or else, what's the point?

summer: We can still hang out with the group.

c-bob 2: Then tomorrow we'll go golfing ... with the group.

summer: What group? Everybody's gone.

c-bob 2: Not EVERYBODY *evil grin* See you tomorrow, Summer. Sweet dreams.

summer: WHAT?

Dave?

Dave?

DELETING. DELETING. Yarrrr.

***

Madison called the next morning.

It seemed Dave Brown suggested they play a round of golf. Great news, huh? Except he also suggested I go with them to help 'break the ice'. I told her I thought they could break ice all by themselves.

"That's funny. Dave said you'd say that."

Yeah, that's funny all right.

"C'mon, Summer, you've been trying to get him and me together forever. We finally have a chance and now you're gonna back off?"

"I'm not backing off," I told her. I just thought they didn't need me along.

"Ha. He said you'd say that too."

"If he knows me so well then why doesn't he know I'm not going?"

"Because you ARE going. Jeez, we can't leave you sitting around moping about Brady."

"I'm not moping."

"Dave said you'd say that too. It's like he's got ESP or something."

Yeah, right, or something.

So ... We went golfing.

4:56 PM lol. golf.

Is there a more idiotic game on the planet? I mean, there you are with your shiny sticks, whacking the poor little ball then chasing it across the prettiest lawn you've ever seen, avoiding sand pits and viciously placed little lakes, all so you can drop it into a teeny hole, a million miles away.

And Madison, my best friend in the whole, whole, whole, whole world ... I hate to tell you this but ... you suck at it.

The three of us were standing in my kitchen, post-golf. I was fishing sodas out of the fridge. I'd just asked Dave if he wanted grape or root beer when my phone rang. Madison offered to retrieve it from the living room. She'd just walked away when I felt Dave's hand on my back.

"Madison," I hissed. I thought he understood.

He understood all right. But instead of leaving me alone, he yanked the refrigerator door open wider and pulled us both behind it. He had his fingers in my hair when Madison called out, "It's Brady."

Dave stared at me, a question in his eyes. If only I'd known how to answer it, then maybe he wouldn't have sighed. And released me. And followed Madison out my door and down the street. 

***

 Wednesday, June 25,  3:14 AM

Term of the Day: Hearken - To listen carefully

Maybe if I hearken real hard ...

sergio: I was hoping you'd show up.

summer: Dave?

sergio: mmmhmmm.

summer: Like a moth to a flame, I guess.

sergio: One from your dad's collection of clichés?

summer: Actually, that one belongs to my mom – but she lets my dad borrow it sometimes. You changed your screen name.

sergio: Like it? It's my alter-ego. By day I'm mild mannered c-bob 2 but at night I become the incredible, incomparable, indefatigable ... sergio.

summer: Indefatigable? That's reaching a little, isn't it? I had fun today.

sergio: Me too. Know what I liked best?

summer: That guy in the orange plaid golf pants?

sergio: He came in a close second. No, I liked standing behind you, teaching you to swing. My hands on your hips. My arms around your arms while I whispered in your ear, head down (kiss me), shoulders square (kiss me), arms straight (kiss me), swing! Your hair smells like flowers; did you know that?

summer: How do I know you weren't whispering the same things to Madison?

sergio: OF COURSE I was whispering the same things to Madison.

summer: You were?

sergio: Jealous?

summer: Do you think she suspected anything?

sergio: Not a thing. We're playing tennis tomorrow.

summer: You are?

sergio: WE are. You and me and Madison.

summer: Dork. You can't play tennis with three people.

sergio: Dork-lover, I know that. Kiersten's coming too.

summer: Kiersten? Great. One more person I have to lie to.

sergio: In the first place, you don't have to lie. We could just tell everyone the truth. In the second place, Kiersten already knows.

summer: You TOLD her? How could you?

sergio: I'm surprised you didn't know. Kiersten = ittybittykitty.

summer: sh*t

summer: Sergio?

summer: Sergio, Sergio, wherefore art thou, Sergio?

sergio: It's S-H-I-T, Summer, not sh*t. The little * isn't fooling anyone. And why? Why is it such shit that someone would find out I'm crazy about you and you're crazy about me back?

summer: I can't break up with Brady.

sergio: Then why are we here, doing this, in the middle of the night?

summer: Because the middle of the night is the only time I can tell the truth. Truthfully, sergio is: incredible, incomparable, indefatigable, incisive, indescribable, indispensable. inexplicable ...

sergio: Indubitably. Now put away your dictionary and talk to me.

summer: Brady said to tell you 'hi'.

sergio: Shhhhhhhh! He does not exist here.

summer: What are we going to do?

sergio: Unfortunately, WE don't get to pick. It's YOUR choice. What are YOU going to do?

summer: If I could, I'd choose for the night to never end.

sergio: rawr.

summer: Hey, serg, what's the 'guy code'?

sergio: Which part?

summer: If I knew that I wouldn't have to ask. Remember that kid on my blog, SK84U? He said you should remember the 'guy code'. Brady said something about it once too. What is it? I suspect it has to do with carburetors.

sergio: Yes, carburetors, exactly.

summer: No, really?

sergio: If I tell you, I might have to kill you.

summer: Do I get a blindfold and a last meal?

sergio: Certainly. My name is Sergio and I'll be your server today. Our special is fennel roasted chicken, baby carrots in a mint glaze ...

summer: lol. Have you been watching the food channel again?

sergio: Guilty. 

summer: I'll take a pepperoni pizza and s'mores. Now tell.

sergio: You're sure you want to know?

summer: Sure, I'm sure.

sergio: Bros before Hos.

summer: And that means?

sergio: Nothing. Not to me anyway.

summer: It means you and Brady can't be friends if we go out, doesn't it?

sergio: That's a possibility.

summer: What if we waited? What if Brady and I don't break up right away and then, after that, you and I don't go out for awhile?

sergio: I don't want to wait.

summer: But if we did?

sergio: Doesn't matter. As long as Brady and I are friends, you are off-limits.

summer: Even if I date other guys in between?

sergio: You won't date ME but you want to date OTHER guys? Yaaarrrrgh.

summer: Just say I did. Then could you still be friends?

sergio: Probably not.

summer: So. If I break up with Brady, he loses BOTH of us? What about Craig, why couldn't he ...

sergio: That's cheddarbob's decision.

summer: Decision?

sergio: Whether he stays friends with Brady, or me.

summer: You mean, you and Craig might not be friends either? I'm not worth it, Dave. deleting ... deleting ...

sergio: DON'T DELETE ME

summer: Sorry, I can't do this any more. deleting ... sigh ... good-bye sergio ... deleting ... deleting ... shit ...

<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

503 17 29
At age twenty-three Skylar moves back into her childhood home hoping to reconnect herself with who she really was before her life got worse. Only to...
23.4K 811 25
{Currently being edited, if it becomes unpublished i'm just writing more in the chapters and would be published again soon} Knowing what to do with y...
4.3K 622 10
For Eva Winters, life turned out a little more complicated than she had imagined. After years worth of saving, she was finally ready to leave the bus...
114K 10.5K 29
Delena is determined to have a good time at summer camp and forget about her backstabbing ex-best-friend Mei. But when Mei shows up at camp too, sudd...