Don't Let Me Fall (A Liam Pay...

By elainabearie16

Elaina moves to London after receiving a prestigious swimming scholarship from Oxford University. Heartbroken... More

Author's Note
Song That Inspired This Fanfic
Author's Note #2
CHAPTER ONE: Landing in London
CHAPTER THREE: Memories, Sleeplessness, and Touring
CHAPTER FOUR: After Concert Conversations
CHAPTER FIVE: Fans, Cameras, And...
CHAPTER SIX: In My Arms...
CHAPTER SEVEN: Finding Things
CHAPTER EIGHT: Sanctuary
CHAPTER NINE: Sparks and Fireworks
CHAPTER TEN: Friendly Fire
CHAPTER ELEVEN: In The Public Eye

CHAPTER TWO: Breathing Room Please?

418 8 2
By elainabearie16

CHAPTER TWO: BREATHING ROOM PLEASE?

When the doors slid open with a ding!, I found myself face to face with Celeste's door. "Wow Celeste, are you loaded or what?" I mumbled to myself, marveling at the marble panels framing the door. There was a note attached to the door. "Hey Elaina, I'm sorry I wasn't here to meet you. I had to open the doors for Kristie's bakery. Kristie's flat key is under the doormat, so you can still go ahead and surprise Kristie. She lives in the attic-converted-studio/flat AKA the ninth floor. I'm not sure when she'll get home though. But you can go ahead and make yourself at home; she won't mind, I mean, you're like her long-lost sister or something. Have fun! -Celeste." I read the note, laughing to myself and shaking my head. I've missed Celeste too, but it was time to put Plan: Surprise Kristie in action. I reached under Celeste's doormat and fumbled for the key. I rode the elevator all the way up and gingerly unlocked Kristie's door. I caught my breath; it wasn't as fancy as Celeste's apartment (or I should start referring it to as a flat now), but it definitely was Kristie's style. Where there were no walls, billowy curtains served as privacy dividers. The flat still had unpacked boxes but there was a definite air of hominess. I dropped my suitcases in what looked to be a spare room or the guest room and wandered through Kristie's flat. I smiled fondly as I walked into a One Direction wall plastered room which could only be Olive's room. Olive was Kristie's half-sister and I adored Olive. I treated her like my own little sister. I fingered through Olive's tea set and smiled at the crowns and tutus scattered across the floor. Sighing, I walked out of Olive's room and sat on the couch. I checked my phone: 11:37. I yawned again and absentmindedly headed toward the kitchen, which was easily accessible since it was in the center of the flat. I stopped dead in my tracks when I noticed a tray of chocolate cupcakes sitting out on the counter. "Oh Kristie, you shouldn't have," I said aloud. Those chocolate cupcakes looked droolingly delicious. I started to reach for one when I realized two things: one, Kristie and I haven't seen each other since high school, and two, technically I was trespassing. I retracted my hand guiltily. But man... those cupcakes looked really yummy, and I had a long flight without any chocolate and Kristie knows how chocolate and I get along. Without any further thoughts, I reached for a cupcake and hopped up on the counter next to the cupcake and started to sink my teeth in it when the door opened. Kristie stood there open-mouthed while I looked like a kid caught guilty getting her hand caught in the cookie jar. But that soon passed as I squealed my excitement of seeing her "OMG Kristie! You're FINALLY HOME! I've missed you so much! It's been too long!" I beamed. She stared at me for a few seconds, speechless.

She started to sign and speak "Elaina, what a lovely surprise! I haven't seen you in years," she gushed. "Wait... How... How did you find me?" she stopped and stared at me.

I laughed, signing and speaking, "Well I just got off the plane only two hours ago since I'm moving to London because I got the swimming scholarship!" I sang happily. "I knew Celeste lived here and we came up with a plan to surprise you and here I am!" I pretended to pout, "It has been so long. You never replied to my messages."

Kristie laughed and ran to me, hugging me and was just about to say something when a rather British, rather familiar male voice boomed out. "Hi, I'm Louis the Tommo Tomlinson of Direction One and this is reuniting old friends!" I almost had a heart attack. We weren't alone. Instead, there were five familiar faces that I would know from anywhere standing in the middle of Kristie's flat.

"Kristie...." I murmured "Is he.... Is that... Are they...Am I..." my voice trailed off, unable to comprehend the scene before me. I blinked hard, "Are you seeing what I'm seeing?" I asked my grinning best friend in a hushed whisper. "Please pinch me," I whispered, "Please pinch me so I know I'm not dreaming... I just got off a plane...It was a long flight... I'm definitely dreaming," I mumbled to myself. "This is a symptom of jetlag, seeing One Direction in front of you when you get too tired."

Kristie laughed and whacked my arm as Louis interviewed each of the members except Harry, who was fully absorbed in his phone "Oh how the happiness runs through them! Niall, how does it feel knowing your friend-who's-a-girl finally met up with a long lost friend?" I watched as Louis thrusts his phone in Niall's face.

"I feel warm and fuzzy and hungry!" Niall replied.

Louis turned to Zayn, "How about you Zayn?"

Zayn sighed "I just want food."

Louis turned his phone onto himself and laughed. "Snarky, isn't he ladies and gents? But we love him for his looks so it's ok! Liam," he addressed the dark haired man of my dreams, "How do you feel?"

Liam smiled sweetly, angel that he is, and said "I feel the love in the air, Louis! She's quite gorgeous," he blushed.

"Ok... I'm definitely dreaming," I whispered. "Liam Payne just called me gorgeous," I said faintly. Kristie shook her head at me, laughing while Liam turned red.

"You, silly, are not dreaming," Kristie told me.

"No, I'm definitely dreaming. This is not real," I deadpanned. Kristie shook her head again and suddenly stabbed me in the side. "Ouch!" I jumped off the counter in shock.

Kristie smirked at me "Are you dreaming now, Elaina?"

"Oh... My... God..." I exhaled in one long breath. Remain calm, remain calm. Do not fangirl, do not scream. Remain. Calm. I silently chanted like a mantra. I managed to throw out a smile.

Louis sauntered over to us, wielding his phone. Oh god, oh god, oh god, my Directioner part of my brain yelled. Remain calm, remain calm. Do not fangirl, do not scream. Remain. Calm. I repeated in my head. "Say love, what's your name?" He asked, holding his phone out to me. I internally took a deep breath to compose myself.

I smiled at the camera, "I am the one and only Elaina also known as Kristie's sister from a different mother but she left me all alone in America," I heard myself saying before I pouted. Whoa, where did that confidence come from? I wondered silently.

"Hey! Last time I checked, you left me in Indiana when you got accepted into Yale!" interjected Kristie. I laughed and threw my arms around her.

"SHE IS A SMART CARROT, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! It is official, I like her!" Louis exclaimed, throwing an arm around me. I blush and out of the corner of my eye, Liam looked tense. Maybe he likes me, a hopeful thought entered my mind. I quickly tossed it away; Liam was already engaged to Danielle, there was no way in hell he would like me. And plus, why would he, a mega popstar like him, like someone like you? A snide voice in my head asked. After all, Will did dump you, the voice reminded me. Shut up, I told it as my heart contracted painfully at the memory. I drew in a deep breath and bit the inside of my cheek to keep the tears from spilling out. "Alright, that is all we have for today. Tune in next time when we are on tour!" Louis waved at the camera before signing off.

The boys wandered off and Kristie and I hugged each other again. "How did you get the scholarship? Isn't it like only one boy and one girl in the nation get it? I know you're an amazing swimmer, but DAMN girl! I am so proud of you! And I'm so sorry I haven't responded. I changed my phone number and things were busy opening up the bakery and I just forgot! I'm so sorry," Kristie chattered at me.

I laughed, "The CAPs didn't approve though... But I am proud of you, opening your own bakery! We need to catch up after all these years," I told her. She looked sympathetic when I said CAPs. When we were in high school, CAPs stood for Controlling Asian Parentals or AKA my parents. My parents stood in the way of everything I wanted to do or be: swimming, singing, dancing. To them, I should be a good little doctor and not be chasing after what they called "silly stupid things." It got so bad that Kristie was used to me sleeping over almost every night. We would hide in the basement and curl up on her what we called the teddy-bear-couch and just talk about what we would be if we were free. Not like legally as adults, but what it would be when we were completely free from our parents.

Niall sidled up to us, "Babe, we... uh... kinda need to get going," he murmured to Kristie. He gave me an apologetic glance and walked back to the boys.

My mouth dropped. "No... freakin...way...." I gasped. "You! You're dating Niall freakin Horan of One Direction! How in the world did this happen? Is that why they're here in your living room? Kristie! Start talking now!" I barked at her.

Kristie laughed, "Long story, I gotta pack though," she said.

I raised an eyebrow "Pack? For what?" I asked suspiciously.

Kristie bit her lip "Niall asked me to go on tour with him and they're leaving soon," she said in a rush. She walked toward her room.

My mouth dropped open as I followed her closely. "You're going on tour with One Direction?!" I whisper-shrieked.

Kristie pulled a suitcase from the closet, "Yeah I am," she said, rifling through her clothes, "Like I said, it's a long story," she said over her shoulder.

"Yeah," I muttered, "A very long story in which Elaina feels completely lost and clearly not part of," I shook my head. "I'm gonna need to think this over," I said to Kristie. "This is too much, it's overwhelming me. I mean, I just literally got off a plane and came here to surprise you and now I've met One Direction and my best friend is dating a member of One Direction and she's going on tour with them and OH MY GOD!" I rambled. "I'm... just... um... gonna get some air," I nodded at the door and walked out of Kristie's room. As soon as I walked out of Kristie's room, I nearly collided with a hard chest. "Oh! Sorry!" I gasped and then being me, I nearly toppled over. Two strong arms steadied me.

"Are you okay?" a blissfully familiar British voice asked me. I looked up and found myself staring at a pair of warm chocolate orbs. Liam's warm chocolate orbs to be exact.

"Oh!" I steadied myself, "Um yeah, yeah I'm fine," I blushed. So much for getting air.

"Um well I wanted to ask you something," Liam said quietly.

"Uh sure, ask away. You can ask me anything," I babbled. I mentally slapped myself. It seemed like the brain to mouth connection was broken.

Liam chuckled gently, "Well I was wondering if you would like to go on tour with us. I noticed that you and Kristie are pretty good friends and she's leaving with us and you'll be alone. From what I heard, you just arrived in London and I'm assuming that you don't know many people here. I wouldn't want you to be alone in a big city, so you can come on tour with us, if you wish," he explained in a rush.

For the countless time today, I was speechless. Say something, my rational part of the brain urged. "Um sure," I whispered. "I mean, yeah I'd love to," I managed squeak out.

He grinned at me and I found myself lost in his smile. "Fantastic!" he exclaimed. "You can go pack, we'll wait for you," he beamed at me. I nodded dazedly. He smiled at me and walked away. Oh my poor heart, I sighed. I numbly started to walk toward where I left my suitcases.

Kristie came out, dragging her suitcase behind her, "I'm so sorry honey, I'm leaving you right when you get here. I feel so bad. But you are welcome to stay at my place if you want. Can you just take care of a little thing for me?" she asked, gesturing toward Olive's room.

"I'm going on tour with you guys," I whispered, still in shock. "Liam just asked me." I was dumbfounded.

Kristie laughed, hugging me, "Yay! Then we can catch up with each other's lives!" she said happily. "You better go pack then."

"Yeah and maybe you'll have time to tell me that long story," I said dryly. As soon as I packed, the two of us met the boys in the living room

"Want some chocolate for the road?" Kristie asked me with a grin on her face. I nodded, shy around the boys. I love you, I mouthed to her. She grinned. "I still remember, you know. No one forgets the famous relationship between Elaina and chocolate. And I know you had a long flight, so you need some chocolate," she said.

I didn't realize Liam had silently walked up next to me until I heard his voice. "Her lips will taste like chocolate then and will be too irresistible," he said softly and kissed me on my cheek. There was just a slight shock when his lips met my skin. His hand gently slipped into mine's. Oh my god, I'm gonna pass out, my poor overwhelmed brain squealed out. Isn't he engaged to Danielle though? Why'd he kiss you? My cynic voice asked.

Kristie must have been wondering the same thing. "Liam, it's pretty obvious that you feel something for Elaina, but what about Danielle?" she asked him quietly as if she didn't want me to hear, with her brow furrowed.

A shadow crossed over Liam's lovely features and he gently dropped my hand. "Um... it's off," he murmured, "The engagement's off," he said. He looked down at his feet. "Danielle called it off," he looked like a sad little boy as he forced out "Danielle found someone else." Kristie and I shared shocked gazes. “It happened eight weeks ago,” he quickly added. “We didn’t want the press to find out,” he finished.

My heart was breaking at the sight of Liam's face. "Kristie, this boy needs some chocolate," I said. Again, where did that confidence come from?

Kristie laughed "Yes, your majesty," she hurried away to get the tray of cupcakes. "Here you go, Liam. You get first pick," she said, offering him the tray.

Liam grinned like a kid opening his Christmas presents and selected the one with most frosting. "Mmmm...." He sighed in appreciation and mumbled some indiscernible words. The boys were quick to attack the tray. Kristie smirked at me.

I rolled my eyes at her, "Yes, we know, you're the best baker. Your cupcakes are delicious. Yada yada yada," I said.

She laughed, "You know it."

When we finished eating the cupcakes, we were ready to go on our way. We waited in the lobby for Kristie as she went off to ask Celeste to watch over Olive while she's gone and I took the time to arrange my scattered thoughts. My arranging went out the window whenever Liam's eyes met mine and smiled at me. Oh boy... my heart was going to have a rough time. And we've barely even started...

________________________

I don't know when the next part is gonna be posted. But I hope you guys have enjoyed it so far! I will try my best to update ASAP. Thank you so much for reading! Please go read Kristie's story: "Be Your Burden" by bakerscoyne. Again, please comment and vote if you wish!

-Elaina

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.7K 382 29
The boys of One Direction are on tour. They meet various beautiful fans and see new wonderful cities. But, its not all fun and games. Zayn meets an o...
206K 4.3K 34
Ella Chance goes to college and as she and her friend Katie find themselves in London, Katie contacts with Niall Horan, whose attention she got in on...
1.7K 131 30
Alexia runs away to London after having a horrible past. She starts a new life living with her best friend. She falls for a special boy who goes by t...
3.5K 100 25
Lita's heart along with her trust was broken when her boyfriend of three years, Zayn Malik, cheated on her. She made the mistake to go and party with...