The Djinni & The Dropout

By CocoNichole

*Former Title: Grenadine Dreams* NOW AVAILABLE ON AMAZON IN PAPERBACK (link in bio) When college dropout Naya... More

AVAILABLE ON AMAZON
1. The Hangover
2. The Source of Smoke
3. The Djinni and the Dropout
4. The Monkey Demon
5. The Collector
6. The Lie
7. The Nickname
8. The Servant
9. The Awakening
10. Heat
11. Responsibility
12. Grenadine Dreams
13. Hookah Therapy
14. The Aquarium
15. Banana Pancakes
16. Circles
17. The First Day
19. Monkey Business
20. The Guitar
21. The Sleepover
22. Sinbad
23. Djinniyah
24. Roadtrip
25. Pizza and Passengers
26. The Magus
27. The Elephant
28. The Reverend
29. Moving On
30. Cake
31. A Fire Inside
32. Playing with Fire
33. Firesword
34. The Gourd
35. Ashes
36. The Orphan
37. Changelings and Challenges
38. What Could Be
39. Together Again
40. Second Chances
41. Sizzling
42. Finding Naim
43. The Departure
44. Taming Fire
45. The Red Dress
46. The Garden
47. The Goodbye Party
48. The Library
49. Sila
50. The Backup Plan
51. Deserted
52. Auras
53. The Mirage
54. Ghoulish
55. The Oasis
56. Sex Magic
57. The Challenger
58. Bargaining Power
59. The Magus and the Artist
60. Truth Be Told
61. Little Marid
62. The Escape
63. Quiet Fire
64. Gatekeeper
65. 1001 Days
66. Nastarajan
67. Demonology
68. Ghost Empire
69. 1001 Nights
70. The Shinigami
71. Blue Fingers
72. Firekin
73. Guilty Pleasures
74. The Whirlpool
75. Electric Kiss
76. Beautiful Hell
77. Friendship is Magic
78. Broken Bonds
79. Hunger
80. Elevator to Hell
81. Icebreaker
82. The Color of Power, The Shape of . . .
83. The Rising Sun

18. Girl Talk

3.8K 394 37
By CocoNichole

18. Girl Talk

{Naya}

"Hey, Naya. Where's your fuckboy?"

I elbowed my way into Portia's apartment. "Seriously, Portia? I haven't seen you in how long and that is the first thing you say?"

Portia closed the door behind us. "Whatever, girl. I knew you were bound to show up one of these days. It's not like you haven't disappeared for days at a time with a guy before."

"By the way, Uri isn't a fuckboy. We haven't even –" I stopped and looked at Ritsu. It was going to be very difficult having girl talk with him around.

"What the hell? Naya, is that a monkey?!"

I set Ritsu down on one of Portia's bar stools.

"Yeah, Uri is into exotic pets. Don't worry. He's uh . . . potty trained."

Portia shook her head. "I can't believe you had the nerve to bring a damn monkey into my apartment."

I relaxed onto her couch and said, "You say that like you're not going to take a million selfies with him before I leave."

The two of us broke into uniform laughter. And that was that. Portia and I were back in BFF world. We spent the next hour passing the time over homemade frappuccinos and a jar of pistachios that she kept around just for me.

Damn, I missed my best friend.

In our conversation, we managed to dance around two dangerous topics – Uri and my father. But it could only last so long. I cringed when Portia breached the question.

"So, does the reverend know that you have a new sugar daddy?"

I groaned, "Portia."

"Girl, I love you to death, but I can't keep lying for you. Do you realize that my parents go to your father's church? Now they're asking me questions about you."

I surrendered my hands. "Okay. You're right. I need to talk to the reverend. And I will. It's just not the right time yet." I looked at my friend and took her hand in mine. "I promise that I'll come clean to him about Uri . . . and about dropping out."

Portia's mouth fell open in disbelief. "Did you just say the 'D' word?"

I rolled my eyes. "Portia, come on. I'm done with being immature about this whole thing. It's about time that I took some damn responsibility for my actions."

Portia leaned over the couch and shook me. With a wild look in her eye, she shrieked, "Who are you and what have you done with Naya!"

I laughed.

She scoffed, "Don't tell me Uri is some spiritual healer or something."

I gave her a playful shove. "Girl, you are crazy. No, he's not. I've just had a lot of time to think these past few days."

"Mrrrow."

Usher, Portia's gray maine coon, came sauntering into the room. Raymond, the smaller tabby, trailed behind him.

I spread my arms and welcomed the cats. "Aww, Usher! Raymond! You miss me? Come here, kitties."

Raymond gladly leaped into my lap, but Usher held back and eyed Ritsu wearily. The monkey demon was all the way in the kitchen, stuffing his mouth with bananas. He looked at Usher briefly and gave a curious stare. I prayed that Portia didn't notice the intelligence in his big, dark eyes.

I called out to Usher again, but he ignored me and hissed viciously at Ritsu. Then the dog-sized cat scampered back into my old bedroom.

"See?" Portia poked me. "Your aura changed so much, it's even throwing Usher off."

Portia was right. It was weird how Usher had just behaved. He was usually such a laid back cat. Then I suddenly remembered back to when Uri had brought me by to get my things. Usher had hissed at him too.

"So . . ." Portia started with a mischievous grin. "You claim that you and Uri haven't gone all the way yet. But I want to know all the other details."

I put Raymond back on the floor and then glanced at Ritsu. The monkey was feigning interest, but I knew damn well that he was listening. Portia must have sensed my hesitation because she rubbed my knee and said, "Do I need to get out the wine?"

I leaned back on the couch. "That would only make this worse . . . . There's really nothing to tell, Portia. Uri's just a big flirt."

Portia got up to get wine anyway. She came back with two mason jars and a bottle of cheap moscato. After pouring me a glass, she said, "Look who's talking. You're the one walking around in leggings and crop tops everyday."

I hastily buttoned up the plaid shirt over my exposed stomach.

"Yeah, okay. I guess we're both flirts."

"Is he big?" So casual.

I nearly spat out my wine.

"Portia!"

"Well is he?"

"No! Didn't you hear me earlier? We haven't done anything!"

Portia did not look convinced. "But you've kissed."

Now I truly felt embarrassed. "No . . . we almost did."

Portia yawned dramatically. I stuck my tongue out at her.

"Is there anything juicy that happened while you've been gone all this time? Or have you turned into the nun your father always wanted you to be?"

I thought back to everything that had happened over the past week and a half. The memory of walking in on Uri while he was asleep sprang up. And when he scooped me up in his arms the night we watched Ratatouille. I thought about how sometimes I saw fire whenever he was near and the unnatural hotness of his skin.

Staring down at my jar of wine, I said, "You know that burning sensation you always get whenever you think back to your first crush? Well, that's the effect Uri has. Whenever he looks at me or touches my hair, it's like the whole world is burning for that one moment. I know it doesn't make sense, but . . ."

It's the closest I can come without confessing that he's a djinni.

Portia didn't say anything for a while. Then she downed the rest of her wine and said, "You should have stayed in school, Naya. You could have gotten a degree in lyrical writing or something."

"That major doesn't exist, Portia. Did you mean creative writing?"

"You know what I mean, Naomi! You're talented and smart. You're so much better than you give yourself credit for." By now she was crying.

"You drank too much wine again," I said, tears gliding down my own face.

Portia crumpled into my arms, not caring how she looked. I held her because she was my best friend and she needed to be held. The two of us had been friends since middle school and in that time, I had only seen Portia cry twice – when I withdrew from Emory.

And now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

774 146 45
Megan, a struggling student, has to navigate the magically-induced pitfalls bringing a genie to high school causes in order to keep her life from spi...
69 0 26
Long ago, in the ancient kingdom of Surasena, lived two. A young princess by the name of Ananya, and a commoner whom was called Imaran. There lived a...
6.1K 200 7
*unedited* After his mother's death, a broken 25-year-old Solace Miller turns to the only thing that's ever somewhat consoled him - cooking. And afte...
246 28 23
~*~*~*~*~*~*~ "Not Long ago, In a Place not far from here, is a planet called Lydian. Lydian was a lot like this weird planet 'Earth'. That is, very...