Snap Happy (A Daniel Ricciard...

By Twentysomething

When failed photographer and failed girlfriend Emily Taylor goes to Monaco to get over a broken heart she doe... More

(Introduction) Sleepless In Monaco
2: Opening Moves
3: Staying Focused
4. Holding on and letting go
5. Decent Exposure
6. Down To Business
7. We'll Meet Again?
8. Friends Will Be Friends
9. Surprise!
10. Uphill or Downhill?
11. Past and Presents
12. A Load of (Red) Bull
13. A matter of time
14. The Tension and the Spark
15. Makeup
16. Homeward Bound
17. Ein großes verdammtes Durcheinander
18. Brief Encounters
19. Unless I'm Very Much Mistaken...
20. Scream If You Wanna Go Faster
21. Meet The Parents (Again)
22. Mission Impossible
23. Caught
24. Up In The Air
25. Downfall
26. Withdrawal Symptoms
27. Worlds Apart
28. One Of Us
29. Perspective
30. United
31. "You're My Favourite Deputy"
32. Four Letter Word
33. The Call
34. Judgement Day
35. GRAND Finale
36. Parents, Pools, and (near) Public Nudity
37. New Year, New Beginnings
38. Some Say...
39. Many Happy Returns
The Perfect Plan (Bonus Chapter)
**Announcement - New Story!**
Snap Happy - an explanation
Still Here

Christmas Special

2.5K 48 19
By Twentysomething

"Don't you dare....Daniel NO!"

I launched myself out the way of the incoming snowball (by now more of an icerock) and firmly ass-planted in the middle of the driveway. Thanking my lucky stars that Daniel was carrying the bag of hastily wrapped (and breakable) gifts, I glared up at the giggling Australian.

"Are you gonna just stand there or are you gonna help me up?"

"Well I was thinking that I might just..."

"WRONG ANSWER"

I wiped my hands slowly and deliberately on the front of his trouser legs

"Heyyyyyy - favourite jeans" he pouted.

"New dress" I retorted, standing up and pointing to the wet patch adorning my backside.

"Here" Dan made an elaborate show of attempting to 'dry' the offending area. 

"Anything to get your hands on my arse eh boy" I rolled my eyes and dragged him hurriedly towards the privacy of the front porch.

"Why do you think I married you?"

"Reckon I could come up with a few reasons"

I bit my lip mischievously and reached up to brush a stray snowflake from where it had been nestling amongst Dan's soft curls. Laughing I pressed it to his lips and covered it with my own,  the delicate crystal melting deliciously against our skin as we kissed. Even in the freezing temperatures the heat between us was building, fumbling hands frustrated by the layers of impenetrable winter clothing. 

"Ah shit, I think we've been spotted"

I rearranged my dress and pointed downwards to the small boy now peering at us wide-eyed through the lower pane of glass.

"Morning Jack-o!"

I stuck my head cautiously round the door and squeezed inside before he could make a bid for freedom. Crouching down I gave the child a hug and pointed up at Dan who was unceremoniously dumping the presents in the middle of the hall..

"You remember Uncle Danny don't you?"

"But I'm not his..."

"And I'm not his Aunt but he's THREE Daniel, don't confuse the kid"

Jack stared warily at Dan and put his thumb stubbornly back into his mouth but Dan was having none of it.

"G'day champ!"

Jack was up onto Daniel's shoulders before he could blink, his surprised squeak replaced by delighted gurgles as he realised that he could now reach the tinsel that sparkled temptingly above the doorway. That settled it - Auntie Em was forgotten in an instant, Uncle Danny was much more fun. It was becoming a recurring pattern where kids were concerned.

Admitting defeat I headed for the living room door where the sounds of music and laughter could be heard.

"Brace yourself" I whispered in Dan's ear "and for God's sake don't forget to duck as you walk in - I do NOT need a kid with concussion on my conscience."

"HEYYYYYYYY!"

"HERE THEY ARE!"

"LOOK WHO IT IS"

The chorus came from both right and left. Christmas had well and truly arrived at the Taylor house along with most of my extended family. Even my Grandma was here. Well into her nineties but still keen to join in the fun she occupied the prime position on the sofa surrounded by children, grandchildren and great-grand children. I swallowed back the lump in my throat knowing that this day had been organised for us, so that I could spend some of the festive season with as much of my family as possible before we jetted Down Under to spend Christmas proper with the Ricciardos. It was only fair - they were family too now but much as I loved them it just wasn't the same as a British Christmas back 'home'.

Coats stowed away and the obligatory kisses over with I scanned the room for somewhere to sit, NOT an easy task when every surface seemed to be covered with limbs, Even the floor was crowded - books and toys littered the carpet while my brother and his girlfriend guarded the fire against curious toddlers. There were no rings on their fingers just yet, but judging by the shifty looks every time the words 'wedding' or 'honeymoon' cropped up it was only a matter of time. I sprawled inelegantly beside them, elbowing aside a few soft toys so that Daniel could join me. 

"Sit down - I want a pillow" I commanded him, tugging on the bottom of the christmas jumper he'd insisted on wearing. The fat penguin on his chest bobbed it's head in agreement causing little kids and big kids alike to chuckle with merriment. "That's better." I snuggled up against him as he sat and warmed my cold hands in his warm ones. 

"Who wants mulled wine?"

The steaming jug appeared from the kitchen, as did my mother who was resplendent in red and green. Flashing baubles glittered from her ear lobes and shimmering tinsel dangled from her shoulders. Anyone would think it was Christmas...

"MUMSY!!" I shrieked, leaping up and rushing towards the festive vision. "Don't worry - beer's in the fridge" I called over my shoulder, anticipating the look of panic in Dan's eyes. I needn't have worried - his attention had already drifted towards the toy box which he was now rifling through eagerly. 

"Which one's the kid?" I whispered to my cousin, nudging her gently and pointing to the middle of the floor where Dan and her son were now playing cars. Or rather Dan was playing cars, and Jack was watching in awe trying to work out where the strange noises were coming from.

"NEEEEEAWWWWWWWW...VROOOOOOOOOM..."

*giggle*

"BRRRRRRRRR....AHHHHHHHHHH....."

*more excited clapping*

"SCREEEEEEEECHHHHH... ah sh..."

"Daniel" I warned him, raising my eyebrows threateningly. 

"...ugar" he finished smugly, replacing the runaway wheel just in time as his playmate's lip began to wobble.

"Not tempted by one of your own?" Catherine asked as we watched our boys play.

"No way!" I began emphatically and then stopped, realising that the one person who could change my mind had already begun to work his magic. "Not just yet anyway" I concluded weakly as Dan charged by on all fours with Jack bouncing up and down upon his back.

"We'll see"

"Oh stop it!" I protested as a series of knowing looks were exchanged throughout the room "I'd like to think I have a say in the matter."

"It might not be your brain that makes the decision for you" Catherine observed wisely. 

"Damn hormones better behave or I'll have to keep my legs crossed" I muttered darkly so that only the two of us could hear. Catherine simply shot me a look that said 'come on girl have you seen your husband'. There was no response to that, although the truth remained that for the last few minutes I hadn't actually seen him at all, or his miniature jockey. Catherine too had started looking around for her son but there was no sign of him. Behind us Mum was laying piping hot dishes upon the table. 

I had an idea.

"DANIELLLLL FOOOOOOOOOD!!" I bellowed at the top of my lungs.

Sure enough two pairs of footsteps came running.

*****

"Hey, wake up"

"Fuck off it's dark"

"You mean 'Fuck off it's Christmas" he pointed out. Without seeing his face I could tell exactly which expression would be plastered upon it. It was signature Dan.

"Fuck off it's Christmas" I muttered face down into the pillow, struggling to reconcile cotton sheets and Summer warmth with my usual image of a festive morning. Plus if it was this dark in Australia then it HAD to be early. Seriously freakin early...

"What time is it?"

"Four-thirdy." The way he pronounced it got me every time.

"That's still yesterday" I complained, rolling away and pulling the sheets up over my head.

"Get up I've got a surprise for you" he insisted, switching on the bedside lamp so that the light glowed through my bedsheet cocoon. 

"Make me" I dared him, knowing full well that I was playing with fire. This was newly crowned World Champion Daniel Ricciardo I was talking to, not a man to shy away from a challenge. 

I didn't put up much of a fight as he launched himself on top of me. I'd never intended to, but he didn't need to know that.

"Awake now?"

"Awake now" I agreed, slightly breathless. 

"Come on then"

A jumper was shoved unceremoniously into my arms and somehow once again we were sneaking through the Ricciardo house in the middle of the night. The last time had been the swimming pool incident and I remembered all too well how that had turned out. 

And what had followed...

I threw an expectant glance towards the back yard as we passed but no, Dan hurried onwards leaving me tiptoeing in his wake. It wasn't the Christmas tree we were heading for either, the tempting presents remained untouched and still we kept going.

"Daniel where the hell.." I hissed, stumbling into my shoes as he opened the front door and unlocked the waiting car.

"Shhhhhhh" an infuriating grin was plastered across his lips and still he wouldn't tell me. If my sense of direction was correct we were heading towards the coast but in the darkness I wasn't even sure about that. It wasn't until the car stopped and the door opened that I heard it, and I knew.

"Follow me"

Sand scattered from our sandals as he took my hand and dragged me almost at a run towards the sea. I peered ahead, trying to watch where I was going despite the fact that there was nothing but beach in our way. In the distance the faintest glowing ribbon peaked above the horizon and blew it's golden kisses to the tips of the waves. We were in amongst them now, I could sense the water lapping against my ankles but I couldn't feel the cold. Standing there in Dan's oversized hoody with bed-hair flying into my eyes it shouldn't have been anything close to a romantic moment.

And then he kissed me. 

The jolt in my chest caught me off guard as his lips met mine with a heat and a sweetness that took my breath away. Colours swam before my closed eyes as the sand seemed to disappear from beneath my feet leaving me floating on....nothing. I gripped hold of Dan's shirt to steady myself, slipping my hands under the fabric, the need to touch that perfect skin overwhelming me. 

WOW

I staggered backwards as he released me, my legs barely able to support my own weight anymore. I couldn't speak. Part of me wanted to ask him how he did that, how he could take something so familiar and make it new again, as intense and breathless as the first time we kissed. The other part wanted him to do it again and never stop. 

"Wow" 

I couldn't find the words to say any more as I stood there staring and blushing simultaneously. That tiny glittering strand was now a vast swathe of light as behind us the kids of Perth woke up with the sun to see if Santa had been.

"Wanted to start your first Aussie Christmas with a bang"

"Really?" I raised an eyebrow suggestively "I'm not sure this is quite the place for that but if you play your cards right then maybe when we get back..."

I left the sentence unfinished with a smirk upon my lips as my sexy fearless husband turned slowly from beached bronze to flushing fuschia. It was satisfying to know that I still had that effect on him.

"Let's go back to the car" he stammered, clearly flustered. 

"Can't we stay here a bit longer" I pleaded, knowing that it would be at least another hour before Joe and Grace would stir. 

"Yeah...sure...right...of course" he agreed "I just need to go back to the car first".

"Daaaaaaan..." I began slowly "what exactly have you got in that vehicle?"

Dan looked at me, the blush on his cheeks intensifying still further. He opened his mouth to speak but another sound got there first.

"eeeeurrrrguurrrrrrggggle"

Dan looked down at his stomach and then back up to my face.

"I brought breakfast." 

Note:

HELLO EVERYBODY! A very Happy Christmas to you all (yes I know it's actually New Year now, whoops) , I hope that you've had a great time with your loved ones. Two apologies:

- Firstly, for not writing for a while. Long story short I broke up with my boyfriend of nearly 8 years last month. To say it's a kick in the guts is an understatement and my mind has been elsewhere ever since to put it mildy. I know things will get better but not yet so any writing will be done as and when I feel like it.

- Secondly for the disgustingly sugary fluffy chapter. Reasons for this can also be explained by the above, but also because IT'S CHRISTMAS. Christmas means cheese and glitter, and cheesy glittery Dan was just too much to resist. 

Wishing you all the best.

E x 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 2 20
After meeting in Monaco, Nova Winters and Charles Leclerc quickly become intertwined. A story of love, pain, and unexpectedness.
9.8K 378 53
Volume I in the Heartdriven series: Filling in a temp job, Alice sets off on a new adventure... as a photographer in the Formula One circus of 2012 T...
213K 4.3K 28
'Elvira and Daniel were a special couple together. They were the kind of people who unnoticeably, even for themselves, played the leading role in sit...
228K 3.9K 49
'Someone who has undergone challenges but continues to thrive despite everything they've gone through. Sometimes, you don't recognize a broken soul u...