Aegis | The Maze Runner / Min...

stilestastic द्वारा

❝You need to toughen up, buttercup.❞ in which an accident in the maze leads to minho being nadia's babysitter... अधिक

𝐀𝐄𝐆𝐈𝐒.
prologue
one
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
twelve ½
thirteen
fourteen
fourteen ½
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
epilogue
extras!!
extras 2!!

two

51.9K 1.5K 4K
stilestastic द्वारा

TWO. 

────── 〔✿〕──────

Two days passed and Minho had done nothing to "toughen me up", as he had so kindly put it. If anything, the only difference I noticed is that he'd talk to me non-stop. Words flowed from his mouth in a seemingly endless manner. He barely paused for breath between sentences. I figured that if that continued on, I'd know more about him within a week than I had in a year.

"You need a hobby," was one of the things Minho said to me that I actually sort-of heard. I hadn't been paying attention to him at all - kind of how I hadn't been most of the time - so I didn't bother to respond. He snapped his fingers to get me to wake up. "Hello?"

I jumped a bit. Minho's figure sharpened into focus, making the green around us fade into the background. We were sitting in wooden chairs just outside the Homestead so I could see the Glade without needing to walk around or stay cramped up in my room. I shook my head to clear it, looking sheepishly at him and feeling a rush of embarrassment. "Sorry, what did you say?"

"You need a hobby," he repeated. "You can't run anymore, obviously, and any other job is basically off-limits for you--"

"According to who?" I questioned, sitting up a bit straighter and removing my hand from under my chin. My eyes squinted the tiniest bit. "Who says I can't be a Builder or something?"

Minho sighed and jabbed a finger to where Nick was standing with his second-in-command, Alby. Though they worked together on a daily basis, the two weren't exactly close. Alby was better friends with a boy named Newt, who was one of my Runners as well. Alby and Nick stood off in middle of the Glade with serious expressions like they were having some sort of debate. Neither of them looked very happy.

I felt conflicted about the whole ordeal as I watched them bicker, imagining what words were flowing from their mouths. "What am I supposed to do?"

Minho shrugged and leaned back into his chair. "You're asking me?"

My eyes widened in exasperation as my gaze snapped back to him. "It was your idea!"

A small smile tugged at Minho's lips. At first my eyebrows pinched together because I didn't know what he was so happy about, but then I realized what I had said. Without knowing it, I had just stood up for myself- if not even a little bit. It was step one in his "Renovate Nadia" scheme.

I suddenly felt suspicious and let my mind wander back to what he had been talking about for the past few days. I hadn't listened to much of it - at least, I thought I hadn't - but somehow some of it must've snuck into my brain.

"I call it: 'Talking Psychology,'" Minho explained, moving his bent arms out like he was showing the words on the big screen, which were his fingers that formed a rectangle framing my face. "You thought I was speaking gibberish the entire time. Really, I've been telling you examples of sticking up for yourself. And it looks like it worked."

My mouth dropped open in a gape. I blinked at him and his smug smirk, wondering how in the world he had managed to change something so quickly and without much effort at all. "How - What--"

Minho leaned forward in his seat so his elbows were resting on his knees. "Sticking up for yourself isn't a bad thing, Nadia. Some people here are jerks and will eventually start pushing you around because they think you're too naive to see what they're actually doing. I'm trying to teach you how to prevent that. You need to get out of this little bubble you have. Pop it."

I was stumped. Minho was confusing in all sorts of ways, but "popping the bubble" surely outdid anything he'd ever said. How was I supposed to do that? I couldn't just turn around and become a completely different person just like that. It would take time, effort, and a lot of different types of psychology for Minho's plan to work.

"If you're trying to make me a mean and horrible person, you're out of luck," I said. "That's not me and it never will be me."

Minho raised an eyebrow. "Am I a mean and horrible person? Look, to you, a person who knocks over a chair is mean. It's all about perspective. I'm not trying to change you for the worst- I'm just trying to help you in case someone comes along that doesn't know their boundaries. You live in an environment full of boys, Nadia, need I remind you."

I shook my head. "I don't know, Minho." This all felt so weird. In a matter of days, my life had completely turned around. I wasn't running out in the Maze anymore, talking to Minho had become much easier than before, and I was completely powerless for once. I felt small and vulnerable compared to how I had been before the stupid accident. It was like I had been stripped of my power and I was meaningless to the Glade. What could a girl with one working leg do? Apparently, nothing but sit around with some guy to follow her and make sure she didn't fall on her face.

And then, it clicked. That was what Minho had been trying to tell me all along. I didn't have to feel that way. I didn't have to feel tiny or insecure- if I just showed people that I wasn't those things, the horrible thoughts would go away.

As if he had read my mind, Minho continued, "Your injury doesn't mean you're powerless. If anything, it makes you stronger. Nadia, you got your shucking leg stuck in the Maze wall and still made it out! You're some kind of hero around here. Make people look up to you, not down as if you're lower."

I thought for a second. Minho did make sense. If I just learned to let myself be a little more aggressive, I could be much more confident as well.

During those few moments of quiet, I made a vow. I would not become some sort of uncontrollable, careless being. I would still be me. I would keep being the same Nadia, just braver. I would not let this change me for the worst.

"Okay," I conceded. "Let's do it."

-:-

I had quite a few Runners to watch over. There were eight sections in the Maze, but only a few of them were open a day, meaning that four Runners had a day off today. One of them was Newt.

He was a tall boy with sandy blond hair that brushed over his forehead like a curtain. His eyes were a warm brown color that was pleasing to look at, and I had never seen him without a smile on his face. His frame was an even mix of slim and muscle that just managed to balance his height out with his body.

He approached Minho and I during lunch, carrying a bowl of beef soup and a glass of milk. He slid into the seat next to me and sent us both a smile. "New Greenie today," he said. "Aren't you two excited?"

"It's just another poor, crying shank we gotta look after," Minho grumbled before taking a huge gulp of his water. He screwed the plastic cap onto the bottle and set it back on the table. "Nick will teach him the rules, tell him not to touch Nadia, and give him the Tour tomorrow. Nothing new. Nothing to get hyped up about it."

Newt frowned, then shrugged. "Well, everyone else's going bloody insane. It's all I've been hearin' about since I woke up."

Having a Newbie come into the Glade was always a bit nerve-wracking. We never knew what the boy would look like or how they'd act, or who would watch over them as they cried. Every month we got a new person sent up via the Box. Same day, same time, same annoying alarm that went off. I spent a lot of time wondering when the next girl would come.

"Should be any minute now," I mused as I twirled my spoon with my finger. The soup, for once, wasn't very appetizing to me.

Minho grumbled something incoherent under his breath, causing me to glance up at him. He merely stared at the bowl and chased a chunk of meat around the broth. He didn't look to be in a good mood at all. In fact, he looked almost sad.

"Cheer up, buttercup," I said with a teasing smile. Minho rolled his eyes, but a small smirk twitched at his lip. He swallowed a spoonful of soup to hide it.

Newt huffed a sigh and tapped his fingers on the table, not touching his food. He only stared down at his soup and full glass of milk. I noticed purple rings under his eyes from lack of sleep, making the skin there look puffy. I was about to ask him if he'd slept enough when the Greenie alarm blared.

It was a sharp sound that echoed through the air and reverberated through my eardrums, stabbing at my brain like a sharp needle. I jumped up instinctively and turned toward the Box. However, I forgot about my useless leg and nearly pitched forward over the bench and onto my face, but Minho somehow managed to jump up and catch me before I could.

"Looks like all that running gave you some decent reflexes, huh?" I questioned, feeling my face heat up when I noticed how close I was to him. His arms had hooked underneath mine and resulted in my face being almost pressed into his chest.

"Decent," Minho agreed as he steadied me back onto my feet and handed me my crutches. With my face still burning with a flush that crept all the way to my neck, I scrambled to hold onto them with the alarm still blaring in my ears. The other picnic tables were deserted by then, with everyone else already running toward the Box.

"C'mon!" Newt yelled over the noise, waving us over eagerly. I moved as quickly as I could. The crutches were becoming easier and easier to use, but it was still difficult to move across grass. Stairs were also the worst.

Minho and Newt walked alongside me as I crutched my way along as quickly as I could, huffing and puffing to keep up. I could feel my chest tighten with a cramp. My breaths were short and quick, but not steady enough to prevent pain.

By the time we had made it to the crowd surrounding the square shape in the ground, sweat was dotting my collar and hairline. I passed my crutches to Minho and took my red jacket off, revealing the light grey henley beneath it. The sleeves and collar were a darker grey that concealed any sweat stains, which I would be eternally grateful for.

I quickly tied the jacket around my waist, still balancing on my good foot. Minho handed me back my beloved crutches once I was finished. Before I could thank him, he began pushing through the crowd and demanded that the Gladers "part the seas" for me. It was one of the sayings that bugged at my brain like I should remember it from somewhere, but the memory had been stolen by the Creators.

"I would've been perfectly fine back here," I mumbled beneath my breath as the boys actually did part so I could get through. I hated their impatient gazes as they waited for me to go through.

Newt clapped me on the back. "Yeah, but Minho's always got to have the best view. And since you have no choice but to follow him, so do you."

I frowned. "I have a choice to leave him. I just...choose not to."

Newt chuckled and gently urged me along. With a sigh, I moved between the columns of boys to where Minho was waiting for me near the middle. He let me pass him but cut Newt off. The taller blond boy rolled his eyes as Minho snickered playfully. It was all in good fun- the two were fairly close, and both knew the other was joking.

The ground shook slightly as a loud boom sounded from below. The metal doors that closed off the dark abyss jolted a bit. A group of the stronger boys heaved them open, meaning Minho had to leave for about two minutes. He returned with a barely noticeable layer of sweat on his face.

Everyone moved a bit closer to see who was inside. There was a boy sitting in the top left corner of the Box, legs splayed in front of him carelessly. He didn't look afraid in the least as he squinted up at us. The boy had short black hair that stuck up like he had been electrocuted, and tanned skin that appeared natural, like mine, as if he came from Mexican descent as well. His brown eyes blinked several times as he surveyed us with a frown on his slender face. He looked about fourteen.

The usual comments were displayed.

"I will never get over that smell, man."

"I can't see what he looks like!"

"He's a young shank. Sucks for him."

"It smells like someone just klunked in there."

Surprisingly, the boy responded with an annoyed tone. "I know. It's ruining my vibe."

That stunned everyone silent. The boy spoke sharply to us as if he was some sort of royalty and we were slaves. He stood up, walked to the other side of the Box, and stared up at us again.

"Well?" he demanded impatiently. "Is anyone going to help me up?"

Nick was the first to respond. He snapped out of it almost immediately, gesturing to the three others beside him with the rope. They flung it down at the Newbie, who stuck his foot in the loop at the end. Others that were nearby helped pull him up to the grass.

The Greenie hopped up immediately and brushed his clothes off, scanning the crowd with his almond-shaped eyes. They filled with interest when they got to me.

Fortunately, Nick stepped into his line of vision before he could comment. The leader stuck out his hand. "My name's Nick, and the best thing you can do right now is stay calm. Do you remember your name?"

The kid surprised us all by actually accepting the handshake with a calm expression. "Alex."

Nick nodded and dropped his hand. "You're probably wondering where you are and why you're here. There must be tons of questions runnin' through your head, but I can assure you I'll try to answer all of them."

Alex raised his eyebrows in thought. "All of them?"

I could tell just by the way Nick shifted his weight that he regretted telling him that already. "All of them that I have answers to, yeah."

Alex took a step to his left to peer around Nick. He lifted a finger and pointed at me. "Who's she?"

Nick chuckled uneasily and scratched the back of his neck. Greenies asking who I was wasn't an uncommon experience, but it made everyone feel awkward every time. "She's none of your business."

Alex crossed his arms over his chest and narrowed his eyes. "Look, man. You said you'd answer my questions. Well, I'm asking a question, and you ain't answering. I wanna know who she is."

"Why don't you do us all a favor and shut up?" A boy named Gally piped up. He stood near the Greenie, glaring at the younger boy. Gally was the Keeper of the Builders and thus was a pretty big guy. He had a stocky build, short, sandy blond hair, and a large nose. He and I had never really gotten along - not that Gally really got along with anybody - but I tried to be civil toward him anyway. I supposed it paid off. "She ain't interested in you."

"Why don't you do me a favor and shove your potato nose somewhere else?" Alex sneered with a scowl on his face. He stood in such a way that screamed his arrogance.

"Pipe down, kid, before you earn yourself a night in the Slammer," Alby threatened with an accusing finger pointing at Alex. The Newbie put his hands up in surrender and sauntered off to the Deadheads.

Everyone watched him go with equally stunned expressions. In all the Greenies that were sent up, none of them had behaved like that. Sure, we had a couple sour ones, but that was usually because they were scared. Alex was a whole different story. It was like he wasn't afraid at all.

"Yeah, Newt," Minho mumbled beneath his breath as we watched Alex go. "Really exciting."

-------

thank you for all the feedback you guys have given me! i'm so glad that you seem to like nadia. she's my smol cinnamon roll

happy new year!

-kristyn

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

104K 2.2K 33
[minho x fem!reader] "You said you'd stay forever. You promised." "I'm sorry." You are the first girl in the Glade. Your new life is strange, but...
12K 235 14
𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆: i wrote this when i was young and immature so my writing in this is terrible so i apologise in advance. ❝Have I ever told you that yo...
Complicated MEllenH द्वारा

फैनफिक्शन

51.9K 1.8K 72
She wakes up in a cage cold and confused. She refuses to show any weakness in this strange new place; she shoves everything down, deep down behind a...
35.8K 1.1K 32
❝you like the girl shank, don't you?❞ | going poker-faced, minho stammered, ❝what?❞ ~ ✵ the new girl finds herself in the glade, but being the only g...