Machine God: A Post-Apocalypt...

By MarsDorian

Whatever happened, it wiped out the world as we know it. A man with no name wakes up in a post-apocalyptic... More

Where the hell am I?
Where are we going?
Into the unknown
The Iron Lady
Interrogation
Caged In
Shooting Session
Dust Viper Bullets
Forced Citizenship
The Order of Orden
AK-BL8
Strange Land
Grapple Gun
Sky Gardens
War Secret
Overstay
Tease Me
Fireturtle II
Canyon Dash
Store Shooting
Lead Me
I will survive
Negotiations
Trust Issues
Enemy contact
Deep trouble
Pinned down
All of them
Bad Arrival
What's happening?
Never wake up
Sickbay
Who's Who
Konform'd
Mad-Station
Stop!
...
Strange World
Where am I?
Dig dig dig dig dig
Sun slave
Busted
Struggle
Uncovering secrets
Brace yourself
Storm's coming...
Downfall
Underground
SS
Into the unknown
First Approach
Die down here?
No one here?
Dust desires
Oh-uh
Damaged by light
Under fire
Technoid Terror
Strain
Basic Instinct
Just Know
It Follows
Last Survivors
End of labyrinth
The Returner
Under siege
Take Back the Cluster
Crossfire
Endgame
The Abyss
The Fall
Face-Off
Offline
Waker
The End?

Up Your Arsenal

63 8 0
By MarsDorian

The excitement kept me awake for the whole night. A positive tension rejuvenated every cell in my body, no electro-shock therapy required.

Konforma appeared on my wall-screen when the time came.

"Please assemble in front of the armory. The light will guide your way."

"What's the mission objective?"

"Orden will tell you everything you need to know. Hurry, don't waste resources."

All righty.

She remote-opened the door, and I followed the arrows pointing toward the nearest lift. I touched the screen which scanned my commcuff. The commons level had disappeared, only the 'go to armory' button remained. It looked as if only the relevant floor was displayed.

As soon as the doors parted, I dashed out the elevator and zapped over the floor.

Two guards halted me with their power posing.

Legs stretched out, their gloved palms pointed vertically at my face.

"Stop running. You're wasting your energy that's required for the mission."

"I thought we were in a hurry."

"Hastily walk, but don't run. You're causing needless commotion."

Same old difference. But arguing with the guards would result in rights revocation and probably prevent me from participating in the mission, so I abided.

For now.

"It will not happen again."

At least not in the next hours.

"Move on, then."

He waved me away like a stray dog with rash. To hell with these guys. Their obnoxious attitude probably sprang from their anonymity. With that kind of armor and face shields covering their heads, they could be dicks, size extra large.

Strap away their armor and what was left of them?

Well, this wasn't the moment to find out.

My eyes turned to the crowd of people that gathered in front of yet another gate. A couple of familiar faces awaited me—the clique, including Ceedee, Hecto, Glitch and other folks I hadn't seen before.

Chief Orden summoned everyone over and read some notes on her datapad. The second I entered the group, the iron lady's eyes picked me out.

"Look who has finally joined the round."

"I was running as fast as I could, but your guards told me to slow down. I either run and be on time, or I walk and come late. You can't have it both ways."

Contorted faces within the group. Looked like I was pushing it too far, once again.

Orden was the first one to put me in place.

"Watch your mouth, you ungrateful maggot. If I sense another micro-aggression, your rations will be reduced."

Then how was I supposed to perform during the mission?

Logic fail, but I kept it to myself. Pissing off two higher-ups before a mission start wasn't the way to win any awards...or permissions, for that matter.

"You're right, it's my fault. Sorry."

She rolled her eyes but kept it at that. I moved in-between the row of people and perked my ears. It sounded like a mission briefing.

Orden went full instructor mode.

"Now as I said before, your target will be the Abandoned City, Sector 7. I'll update the worldmap data on your commcuffs. According to the intel from one of our scout squads, we've discovered a group of survivors living inside the forsaken mall ruin. We don't know how many, but estimates say around 15-20."

Some folks behind me whistled. Didn't sound like a high number of survivors, but in this barren land, any sign of life was a shout for joy.

"Your goal is to find the group of survivors and persuade them to join our glorious cluster. I want a fireteam with one veteran in charge of the operation. I reckon no one will be surprised that I declare Hecto as the captain."

The people clapped. Hecto brushed his smile aside and acted all humble. Looked like he was a well-respected member within the Bulwark. He certainly carried the alpha leader personality.

Orden continued.

"The allocated time limit is 180 minutes once you touch ground in the target zone. All SOPs will apply, but exemptions can be made if Hecto sees fit. May your mission prove useful to the greater good of the Bulwark."

"For the greater good," the crowd said.

I repeated the phrase a second later.

"As always, you will gain limited access to the armory. The choice of your weapons will be limited to your permission rank and Hecto's recommendations. Succeed sustainably or grave measures will be taken against you."

She opened the steel gate, stepped sideways and ordered two soldiers to follow her inside the armory to survey our weapon selection process. We went straight to the armored showcase. Orden talked to Hecto in whispering mode, Ceedee watched me in bewilderment and helped me get the armor on.

"Need a little quickie?"

"That would be lovely."

"The Bulwark has created the ultimate armor protection suit, modeled after the panzer of the armadillo."

The armor hull did look like the plates of the shelled animal. Ceedee helped me attach the armor to my body and explained its usage.

"It's flavored with the three-color desert pattern, providing the most effective camouflage in the Lost Lands. But don't get too comfortable—it may protect against rifle rounds but it's next to useless against directed-energy weapons."

Directed-energy weapons?

What the hell was I dealing with?

Ceedee looked like she was about to tell me but Orden sniffed dangerously close, so she continued with the setup.

"The armor, dubbed the armordillo, provides maximum camouflage and protection on the rear when you have to reload. Which means you don't have to take cover, unless you're facing energy weaponry."

"Like a rolled-up armadillo. A war-lusty armadillo."

"Hence the word-play."

"Another speciality of the armored suit is the built-in weapon rucksack. Inside the shell plating, you find various magnetic niches onto which you can attach your weaponry and water reserves."

Ceedee pulled out a grenade and made it snap to the inner coating of the armordillo suit.

"No fumbling with strings, opening pockets or cording. Even you can handle it."

Some folks in the team giggled. Looked like the rookie jokes were imminent.

"Thank you for telling me."

Hecto remembered his role as the fireteam captain and told us what to pick. A showcase of weapon lockers opened up and made me gasp. With all the talk about limited resources, the Bulwark surely offered an impressive arsenal of firearms. I recognized anything from assault weapons, portable artillery and even sentries.

"Portable artillery is off-limits, so focus on the assault weapons. Ceedee, grab your preferred SR. Glitch, modular UMP or the AK-BL8. Darwin, I'm sure you want to make love to your scattergun of choice."

"I do."

"Go ahead," Hecto said with a smirk.

"And don't forget about the grapple guns. We're going to zipline a bit."

While he mentioned the other names, my eyes darted toward the modular AK-BL8. It was the same baby I've trained with, and it was certainly my preferred firearm, but the second I grabbed the mechanized beauty, a red sign flashed from my commcuff.

"Warning: weapon is off-limits."

I stepped back and sighed. Hecto approached me.

"You only have a tier one weapon permission, and the AK-BL8 is a tier two firearm. The tier one section is to your left."

I shrugged.

"Isn't it smart to have the best weapon equipped?"

"As a rookie, you still have the lowest ranking. In this cluster, you have to prove your worth. Perform well today and in the upcoming missions, and you will receive the perm for higher level arms."

He patted my shoulder, but it felt patronizing. Nevertheless, I abided.

The tier one showcase disappointed, to say the least. A wide array of pistols lay in front of me, followed by mechanized batons and two types of MPs. Still, I didn't complain. My choice fell to the 15mm Viper with the armor-piercing bolts. I had used its replica in the training sessions and fell in love with it. High accuracy and decent firepower with minimum weight. My current permission allowed me to take three ten round magazines. I attached the firearm and the mags to the magnetic niches of the insides of my armor when Hecto's voice rang again.

"And rookie?"

"Yeah?"

"Pick up an EMP grenade. Just in case."

An electro-magnetic pulse grenade against humans? Didn't make sense, but I trusted his choice.

Although the question arose: who was the real enemy?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69 0 7
A fighter pilot crash lands in a land torn apart by warfare and destruction. Desperately trying to survive and return home to repair his broken past...
8.1K 1.4K 53
The Deadlands - dry, arid, and merciless. A place where only the scent of death hangs loosely on the scorching winds. This is all that remains of a o...
1.4K 203 87
Sworn of life begotten those who've traveled far after the white star shining ever so bright in the horizon, waking up you can only imagine those sig...
525 100 24
Aethr never truly recovered from the old wars. June salvages airship wrecks across the largest region of battle fallout - the Reach. To her the waste...