Retro-cognition

By MajaDiana

[Paranormal / Action / Romance] Unique is the daughter of Retro-the God of Time. As a Goddess coming of age... More

Copyright
Chapter 1 - Fallen
Chapter 2 - Meeting with the Spawn of Satan
Chapter 3 - The Other Side of Sion
Chapter 4 - Angels
Chapter 5 - Awkward Tension
Chapter 6 - Whiskey Makes Everything better
Chapter 7 - A Make-believe Cupid?
Chapter 8 - Sion Saves the Day.
Chapter 9 - Experimenting is No Fun
Chapter 10 - Unique as a Gypsy
Chapter 11 - Slutty Clothing.
Chapter 13 - Unique's Wedding
Chapter 14 - Want to See My Tree House?
Chapter 15 - History Lessons.
Chapter 16 - The Next Step
Chapter 17 - Breakfast
Chapter 18 - Training
Chapter 19 - Wet dream
Chapter 20 - Sion's Proposal
Chapter 21 - A meeting with fear
Chapter 22 - Envy's First Attack
Chapter 23 - The circle of Gods
Chapter 24 - A Unique Creation
Chapter 25 - A Kidnapping
Chapter 26 - The Reason for Unique's Death
Chapter 27 - An Escape
Chapter 28 - The Final Death
Chapter 29 - A Happy Ending
Note From The Author

Chapter 12 - Sion's Strange Behavior

4.2K 317 7
By MajaDiana

Chapter 12 – Sion’s strange behavior

There were only a few minutes until the Carnival opened. Unique walked behind the small stand that Annelka had helped her make. The small tent was narrow and already filled with mysterious junk that she had no idea how to use. It was a trick to seem more mysterious and otherworldly – not that Unique needed help with not belonging.

She looked around. It was a fairly easy deal. She’d have to stand behind the counter, which was only a tall café table. Then she’d have to decide whether to stay on the spot and use her powers – but she could also go inside to the small table. There was seating arrangements everywhere; tall chairs, something that resembled a bed and this oddity that Annelka had called bean bags.

In the corner, Sion was sitting on one of those large bags; he was reading some kind of magazine with cars and barely clothed women.

“You don’t have to stay,” she said.

“Of course.” He turned a page. “I’m going to stay anyway, though – so you can stop worrying about me now.”

She sighed. Sion had followed her around since she confessed about this job. For the most part,  it was bearable. However, there were times, like now, where Unique wished that he’d just go away.

Annelka had approved of the blue dress, and she even agreed to let Unique practice on her. She now had a fairly strong feeling about it all. The only thing that worried her was the condescending looks of disapproval from Sion. They were few, and far between, but they were there – and they made her worry.

“Are you ready, dear?” Annelka rushed over.

“Yeah. I am.”

“As ready as she’ll ever be…” Sion muttered.

Annelka shot him a puzzled glance, but Unique simply shook her head. There wasn’t any time for her to start explaining. The older woman had accepted when Sion had forced Unique to make it clear that they were a package deal – nothing else was said though. To Annelka, Sion was just an inconvenient side effect, and Unique preferred it that way.

“Alright. It’s about start now. So just stand there and try to seem mysterious. That always work. If anything, just look up at the sky and pretend it’s extremely intriguing. It’s a little tip from my younger days. The costumers will wonder what you’re doing.” The older woman giggled.

“Thank you, Annelka.” Unique smiled.

The woman grinned and turned around on her heel. “Good luck, dear.”

Sion snorted.

“What?”

His eyes met hers over the magazines. “She just asked you to look as if you weren’t paying attention to anything.”

“So?”

“Her best trick is to look stupid. That should tell you something about this whole ordeal.”

She frowned. Whatever it was that had gotten into Sion lately, had to get out soon. He was being unnecessary mean besides his usual cockiness.

Unique glanced upwards. She might as well practice for later. The puffy white clouds on the light blue sky were soothing her nerves. She imagined Haims with the white skies, and the colorful flora that lit up the place. It would be lovely to be able to walk through the gardens again. She even missed Amora’s preaching.

“Excuse me?” a voice called.

Unique snapped back to reality. A young woman was standing side by side with a guy. Both were smiling brightly as they held hands and waited for her to respond.

“Yes. Can I help you?”

The woman giggled. “I’m Jennifer, and this is Brad.”

“Hello. I am Unique. Do you wish to visit your past?”

Jennifer blushed. “Well. I kinda wondered if you could help us remember the first time we met. It’s our two years anniversary today, and we wanted to do something special.”

“I can only help one of you at a time. You won’t be able to re-visit together.”

Jennifer looked up at Brad with a pleading look. “Can I go first? Please?”

“Sure, babe.”

Unique took Jennifer’s hands. Inhaling and exhaling she calmed down before entering the woman’s past.

He was late! Jennifer groaned. Men… Always late. Her friend Charlotte had tried to make her agree to meet this guy for months. She claimed they were perfect for each other. But Jennifer couldn’t see it. Being late was the worst thing to do on a first date – at least in her book. He’d have to be above perfect to save this. Well. If he even bothered to show up.

She paced in front of the restaurant. The large window showed happy couples holding hands, kissing over the tables and blushing women.

Jennifer didn’t mean to stare, but she couldn’t tear her eyes away from the scene.

“It’s disheartening, right?” a deep voice asked beside her. She gasped and turned around. Beside her stood a gorgeous guy. His eyes were gorgeous, and her cheeks became warm. Jennifer felt like a little girl in front of a school crush, that’s how attractive he was.

“I’m sorry, I’m late.” He gave a skewed smile and held out a bouquet of flowers. “I realize this is pretty cheesy.

She didn’t mind. Perhaps her friend Charlotte was right after all.

Unique left the mind and looked into Jennifer’s eyes. The girl was smiling at her while her boyfriend was frowning.

“That was amazing. It actually felt as if I was back in that time again,” Jennifer said. She pulled her boyfriend’s sleeve. “Come on, honey. Your turn.”

He didn’t look convinced. His eyes moved between Jennifer and Unique. “I don’t know, babe…”

“Why not? It was amazing.”

Brad pulled her a bit away. Unique tried not to listen, but it was hard. She knew they were talking about her. Casually, she turned her head and tried to catch what they were saying.

“She… Eyes… I know…”

The fragments of the conversation didn’t make any sense to her, and she shrugged it off. She couldn’t please everyone. The fact that she managed to please Jennifer made her proud. The girl was Unique’s first customer – how could she not be proud of that?

A slow clap resounded from behind her. She turned around to find Sion watching her.

“What?”

“I applaud you for managing not to screw up your first customer. I’m impressed,” he said.

Unique frowned. The words sounded nice, but somehow they didn’t come off a pleasant. His tone was sarcastic and mocking. “Why are you acting like that?”

“Like what?” He scoffed.

“Like an arrogant prick.” The words escaped Unique’s lips before she could stop them. Where had she even picked up those words? It was weird. She usually spoke so formal, but with Sion – she just lost all control of her tongue.

“I am not acting strange at all.”

She tilted her head. “You are… It’s almost as if….”

“As if..? What?”

“Are you envious of me?” Unique asked.

“Of course not!” He rose from the bean bag. “That’s ridiculous.”

She grinned. “Are you sure? I’m sensing a bit of green there.”

Unique stuck her finger out and poked his cheek. “It’s still there, I see.”

She’d meant it as a joke, but something in him changed at her words. His eyes became wide, and he simply stared at her.

“I didn’t—“

Sion didn’t let her finish. He brushed past her and stormed out of the tent. What was that all about? Had she offended him? She stared in the direction that he’d went and sighed loudly.

“Men, huh?” a voice said. Unique turned around to see a woman lean over her counter.

“May I help you?”

“Why, dear. You may.” The woman walked around the counter and inside.

“Wait, you can’t go in here…”

The woman simply laughed. Her dark brown curls bouncing around her head as she arched her head back and let out chortle.

Unique stepped away from her. “Who are you?”

The woman stopped laughing and winked at Unique. “Who do you think I am?”

“Honestly, I have no idea,” Unique said.

The other woman cocked an eyebrow. “Are you sure about that?”

“Look. I’m going to call the Carnival security, you can’t be in here.”

She walked closer to Unique. “Aren’t you the least curious about who I am, Unique?”

“How do you know my name? Who are you?”

Panic rose within her. Where was Sion?

The woman smirked as she stopped in front of Unique. “Oh, dear. I thought my dear brother would have told you about me, by now.”

Unique’s gawked. Was this…? She didn’t get to finish that thought before the woman grabbed her arm and pulled her closer. Her chilled breath brushed Unique’s ear.

“That’s right… I’m Envy, and you’re coming with me.”

Unique tried to respond, but all air left her lungs as she was thrown through time and space.

Sion, help.

A/N - Your comments are as always appreciated, as is your votes. And if you're feeling random, pop by my messageboard and send me a message

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 261 13
A college athlete helps the daughter of the moon goddess exact her revenge and tries not to fall in love with her in the process. *** Slade Nakoi Lo...
22 0 31
The darkness of the past catches up to the present and looms over the future. The now-grown undead god meets someone from his past for the last time...
263 44 25
((COMPLETE)) Iliana possesses a Gift, not only the power to control water but also the ability to see a world unknown to humans. But after years of f...
426 226 24
What happens when a Greek God has a baby with an angel and has no other choice but to hide the child amongst all the other unfortunate ones who have...