Evans, Evans and I

By CalliGali819

Luis is a genius. Matt is a genius. Matt is popular. Luis is popular. Luis is a cocky gentleman. Matt is a ch... More

2: A Million Types of Hot Guys
3: Off the Ground, Out of My Mind
4: Tea Parties During Break (Hell No)

1: Pre-Hell with Matt the Devil

88 1 0
By CalliGali819

Two weeks were left before my senior year started.

I was in our backyard, laying down on the hammock near our pool, with a book in hand. The sun was hiding behind the clouds which made it the perfect weather to swim in our pool, but since Matthew Evans was occupying it, I didn't feel like swimming anymore.

My mom, dad and Natty and Oscar Evans were chatting and laughing loudly, as they did in the '90s Prom documentary mom showed me a million times. The highlight of the video was when my dad ran up the stage, yanked the microphone from the a guy named Michael Michaels' hand and sang some love song horribly to court my mom.

Of course my mom was swept off her feet.

Eight years later, my mom gave birth to me. The year before that, the Evans had their first child, who was miles away right now, being in a prestigious school. I haven't seen him for nearly eight years, but he used to be my best friend.

Matt Evans was a year younger than his brother, and was the same age as me.

The both of us went to the same school. We were classmates almost in all subjects every year, and boy, did he make it his life goal to hold his number one spot in my Most Hated Douchebags of Felixbert High. He was your typical troublemaker, but one that actually manages to get A pluses in his classes.

He and I were fighting over the first honor spot in school. And he managed to do that even with a highly stained student report. That really annoyed the hell out of me.

Matt was Felixbert's best swimmer, and he didn't waste any time showing that off now. He was rapidly swimming back and forth. Our pool was huge, so that was sort of impressive.

I tried to focus back on the novel I was holding, but the sounds of my parents and the Evans laughing so loud, the splashing of the water, plus Matt and his semi-naked body in the water was distracting me. Reason number fifty why I didn't want to swim with him.

I kept trying to re-focus on the words on the book, but I kept ending up re-reading a single sentence.

You never really understand a person until you consider things from...

"Psst!"

I groaned really loud. I was starting to move on from that one sentence!

I ignored him, trying hopelessly once more to continue on the page.

"Hey, Avery!"

I bit my lip. ...you consider things from...

"Avery! Hey!"

From...

Suddenly I felt something really cold run down my back and thighs and on my glasses were droplets, smelling of chlorine. I didn't have time to react until a huge smudge on my book appeared really fast.

I stood up from the hammock and screamed, "Matthew!"

Matt's blue eyes widened at my now wet book and well, all of me. He lifted himself off the pool.

"Shit. Sorry, Avery, I didn't mean to..." He approached me and took the book from me, in attempt to do whatever the hell he thought he could do about it.

My face was burning. "Oh my god, your hands are wet, you idiot!" I yelled at him and carefully retrieved my book from him.

I wasn't only mad. I was embarrassed as well. I was wearing a Spongebob shirt, and it was white. I put on a damn hot pink bra earlier this morning.

He glanced at my shirt and looked away, scratching his head. I punched him on his arm, which I doubt hurt him at all. But I was pissed and I wanted him to know.

I will never wear white shirts ever freaking again.

"Haleson..."

My face was still burning as I ran back inside, not before receiving concerned and curious looks from the adults.

I slammed the door to my room, turned on my hair dryer and put it over my book, in attempt to dry it. I was tearing up. Damn, I cared so much for my books. I used to always say that whoever messes with them I will murder, and I was currently considering doing so.

"He's an idiot," I kept muttering. An idiot that got high ass grades.

Minutes later, I decided I'd open the window to let the wind dry my book itself and go change my clothes. I didn't want to get a cold.

I changed into a black shirt and jogging pants, and went downstairs, back to the backyard. I thought that it'd be rude to stay in my room while we still had guests. Even if I hated one of them.

I quietly sat down next to mom. They seemed to be in a deep conversation with the Evans, Matt included. I tuned out, not really interested.

I glanced at Matt, who was now dressed too (thankfully). He wore a white shirt, and jean shorts. His arms were crossed and I didn't realize he was looking at me until my eyes landed on his. I quickly looked away and gave an exasperated sigh.

"Mom, it's my final year at school, and I've been there for five years!" he spoke, an annoyed tone in his voice.

I curiously glanced at Natty, who looked like she was in the verge of giving up.

Oscar answered instead of her, "Matt, this school has been really good for your brother. He hasn't even entered his senior year and colleges already want him."

I sat up straighter. Now they've captured my attention. Matt's brother and his preppy school...

Matt snorted. "I don't want to be like him, dad."

Oscar frowned. "You'd do so well in his school, Matt. You could even be in the top spots of the batch."

"Wouldn't that mean I'd take away his crown?" Matt leaned forward and smirked. "He'd have me for competition in the top spot." At that, he glanced at me and chuckled.

Ah, I got it now. Natty and Oscar were both planning on sending Matt to Minerva Academy, Matt's older brother's school. Matt and his brother had a year age gap, yet Matt and I had a grade skip in middle school, so we're at the same grade as his brother is in. I've heard that his brother was the smartest in the academy. Matt apparently thought he could easily beat him. Cocky douche.

"The both of you would do well," Natty said. "And stop thinking of this as competition. It'd be good for the three of you. Minerva Academy is the best there is."

"That sounds like a recipe for disaster." Matt snorted.

I felt a bit of excitement, though. Would this mean I won't have to deal with Matt anymore?

Then I realized what Natty said. "Wait, the three of you? What do you mean by 'the three of you'?" I looked at my parents with wide eyes.

Mom broke out into a grin. "Surprise, honey! You're going to Minerva Academy!" she announced.

"What?" I gasped in shock. "But mom!"

"Told you," Matt muttered to his mother.

"I have my friends, the school paper, oh, who's gonna be editor-in-chief now? I can't let Drew run it, she'll turn it into a gossip magazine! And the Mathletes, who's gonna be team captain? May isn't exactly fit to be captain, she has problems with Geometry! And I'm one of the yearbook committee too, I had this cool idea-"

"Can you please shut up?" Matt sneered. "You just sound like you're boasting."

I gaped at him. "Look who's talking! Mister Oh-look-at-me-I'm-a-talented-fish!"

"At least I don't list down all the stuff I'm involved in, Miss Multi-purpose-broken-record!" he retorted.

"Oh, okay, Mister I'm-better-than-my-brother!" I mocked.

"Know-it-all."

"Book slayer!"

"Avery, Matthew." My dad calmly cut in.

Matt and I both shut up.

"For intelligent kids, you both could be immature at times," Natty said, frowning.

Mom sighed. "We're letting you both into Minerva Academy because it's going to be good for the both of you by the time you're applying for colleges. You're both very talented, and this school would further improve those talents. Besides, Luis is happy to guide you both in the academy."

At the sound of his brother's name, Matt groaned.

"You, Luis and three other boys are staying in one dorm," Natty told Matt.

Matt's ears turned red. "What? Why were we never told about this?"

"Yeah!" I said, frowning at them.

I was curious, though, if Luis still recognized me.

"I don't want to stay with Luis, nor do I want to stay with her even more! It's bad enough we're neighbors and classmates..." Matt murmured.

"And I don't want to be with you even more." I glared at him.

Mom sighed dramatically. "This is exactly why we never told you both."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

140K 7.7K 40
𝐁𝐎𝐎𝐊 𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐈𝐑 𝐅𝐀𝐈𝐓𝐇 𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐒 Aarohi and Siddharth's tale began unexpectedly at her brother's wedding. Their connection spa...
412K 12.5K 37
The Sokolov brothers are everything most girls want. Intimidating, tall, broody, they are everything to lust after. Not that they... particularly car...
2.7M 156K 49
"You all must have heard that a ray of light is definitely visible in the darkness which takes us towards light. But what if instead of light the dev...
4.1M 169K 63
The story of Abeer Singh Rathore and Chandni Sharma continue.............. when Destiny bond two strangers in holy bond accidentally ❣️ Cover credit...