Gwendalynn: The Girl With Can...

By ThatAmericanGirl

Old & Original Version 2013-2015 Graffiti enthusiast Kyle Hastings finds himself in trouble for the third tim... More

Gwendalynn | Prologue
Gwendalynn | 1
Gwendalynn | 2
Gwendalynn | 3
Gwendalynn | 4
Gwendalynn | 5
Gwendalynn | 6
Gwendalynn | 7
Gwendalynn | 8
Gwendalynn | 9
Gwendalynn | 10
Gwendalynn | 11
Gwendalynn | 12
Gwendalynn | 14
Gwendalynn | 15
Gwendalynn | 16
Gwendalynn | 17
Gwendalynn | 18
Gwendalynn | 19
Gwendalynn | 20
Gwendalynn | 21
Gwendalynn | 22
Gwendalynn | 23
Gwendalynn | 24
Gwendalynn | 25
Gwendalynn | 26
Gwendalynn | 27
Gwendalynn | 28
Gwendalynn | 29
Gwendalynn | 30
Gwendalynn | 31
Gwendalynn | 32
Gwendalynn | 33
Gwendalynn | 34
Gwendalynn | 35
Gwendalynn | 36
Gwendalynn | 37
Gwendalynn | 38
Gwendalynn | 39
Gwendalynn | 40
Gwendalynn | 41
Gwendalynn | 42
Gwendalynn | 43
Gwendalynn | Epilogue
Lastly
Gwendalynn | Gwen OneShot #1
Gwendalynn | Kyle OneShot #1
Gwendalynn | Gwen OneShot #2
Gwendalynn | Kyle OneShot #2
Gwendalynn | Gwen OneShot #3
Gwendalynn | Kyle OneShot #3

Gwendalynn | 13

9K 219 7
By ThatAmericanGirl

When you went home...

JANUARY - 2011

"Hey guys, this is Kyle. Maybe he could sit over here with us?" Ryan asked towards the sophomores.

I spotted Connor glaring at me from his spot all the way at the end of the table. Nobody really answered Ryan. Instead they just stared at him. Ryan took that as a yes and he sat down, making room for me. I glanced at my old table. My lonely one-person table. I missed it.

"You're Kory Hastings's little brother right?" an african boy with a shaved head questioned, pointing a finger at me.

"Yeah."

"You know a guy named Quaashie Jones?"

I knit my eye brows in confusion. "Yeah, he's my brother's best friend."

"I know." he nodded, smirking.

I was confused. I didn't get what he was indicating. The tips of his lips started to curve into a mysterious smile. Then, I saw the resemblance.

"Oh my god! Noah?!" I gasped.

"'Bout time you noticed."

We pounded fists and did the usual guy handshake Noah and I used to do.

"You still remember it?!" I laughed.

"You can't forget a handshake like that, man! Especially with your best friend!"

"You guys know each other?" Ryan pointed at us.

I ignored him. "Why are you back here?"

"My mom got a job and finally left my dad." Noah replied.

"Where's Quaashie? Wait, let me guess..."

Noah nodded. "He's at uni. LSU."

"Are you serious?" I felt a strong happiness for Noah's brother, Quaashie. He'd been wanting to go LSU since fifth grade, dreaming about one day being on the team of the Tigers for football.

"Yep! What about Kory? How's he?"

"He just left back to New York. He goes to NYU."

"Holy shit! NYU?!"

"NYU!" I confirmed.

"Hold up. How d'you guys know each other?" Ryan questioned once again.

"My older brother, Quaashie, is Kyle's brother's best friend."

"Small world..." Ryan mumbled.

"How 'bout it! How's the last several years been, man? I haven't seen you since like I was ten!"

Which also happened to be the last year I had an actual friend.

"I know. Everything's a lot better. Once they caught my dad-"

"They caught your dad?!" I gaped at him.

"Yeah, took them a while to get the evil bastard but he's finally gone for good."

"I bet that's nice."

"Hell yeah it is!"

Quaashie and Noah had an abusive father. He was a drug dealer too, and his family was always on the run. Their mom was too scared to ever leave him so she stayed with the guy. Last time I saw them was back in 2006 in the summer. Quaashie and Kory met in the lower grades and instantly became friends. They stayed for a few years before moving again once the cops found his dad. It really sucked.

"When did you guys move back?" I questioned, narrowing my eyes.

"Mom found an apartment during Christmas break-"

"Oh, so you guys just moved back?"

"Yeah."

"Hey Noah, the guys are gonna head over to Gym now. You comin' man?" a boy with black hair asked him, interrupting our conversation.

"Oh, uh, yeah." He turned to me, "We'll catch up later, Kyle."

"Yeah, man."

We pounded fists and he left with the other guys. It was cool seeing him back. Maybe I wasn't going to be such a loser with no friends this year after all.

...

"They're back?"

"Yeah, Quaashie goes to LSU now."

"No fucking way! That was like his dream university."

I readjusted my cell phone between my shoulder and ear as I rummaged through my pant pockets to search for my house key.

"I know. Noah says he's doing great."

"That's good their dad's locked up though. I never thought I'd see the end of him."

"True story."

I finally got the door to open. I headed inside and slammed it behind me. I dropped my bag next to the couch and took a seat.

"So, they're staying there for good?"

"S'pose so. Noah said they got an apartment."

"That's awesome. I hope Quaashie and I could meet up again."

"Maybe he's got a Facebook."

"He probably does."

"Well, look man, I think I'm gonna head over to the hospital to stop by and see Gwen so I'll talk to you later."

"Oh, tell her I said hi for me, k?"

"Gotcha."

I took the phone from my shoulder and ear and hung up.

Heading towards my room, I grabbed a few bucks and cents to give to the bus driver. I hurried toward the bus stop, hoping I'd be able to catch it before the next one. Thank god, I made it. I gave the man his money and took a seat. In about thirty minutes, I was at the hospital.

I took the long way in order to annoy Jeann with my presence. Giving her a wave and a smirk, I received a grumble. I walked towards Gwen's room and stopped before opening the door. I wiped my mouth, feeling a little self-conscious for some reason and ran a hand through my hair. Might as well look presentable. I opened the door, only to be stopped by a few nurses and a standing Gwen.

"Woah, what's going on?"

Gwen's head jerked towards my voice and I could see a small smile appear on her face. "Kyle," she breathed.

"Hey-"

"Oh, sir, you need to wait outside, please."

"Why? What's going on?"

The nurse had brown hair and a slim figure. She had straight teeth and dark brown eyes.

Denise appeared in my vision. "Oh, no, it's okay. He's Gwen's friend."

"Are you sure?" the nurse asked.

"It's okay, Heidi." Denise assured, putting her hand on the woman's shoulder.

Heidi nodded then went back to help Gwen walk.

"Mrs. Conrad, what's going on?"

Denise gave me a genuine grin. "Gwen's coming home today."

"What?" I beamed.

"Kyle?" I heard a voice ask from behind Denise. I looked over her shoulder to see Gwen sitting in a wheelchair, out of her hospital gown.

"Gwen." I breathed.

"Hey!" She gave me a gentle smile before reaching her arms out to me. I bent down and gave Gwen a hug.

"Going home, huh?"

She nodded like a little five-year old girl.

I chuckled. "That's great." I reached for her hand and gave it a gentle squeeze.

"I asked my parents if it was okay, and they said you can come with us to my house, just to hang out for a little bit."

I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Really?"

Her face faltered. "Oh, o-only if you want to, I mean, you don't have to, I was just thinking because I'll be bored and-"

I shook my head. "If it's okay with your parents." I smiled.

She smiled back.

Please God, let this be a sign she's getting better.

...

"Kyle, can you help with this bag, please?" Denise asked, grunting as she lifted the strap of another one of Gwen's bags from the hospital.

"Sure, Mrs. Conrad."

I walked toward the back of the Hybrid SUV and stood next to Denise. I wasn't sure what the bag was full of... It had to be some of the clothes Gwen might've left there or something, or maybe they were medical things. I didn't know, I just knew whatever was in the bag was pretty heavy.

I took it inside, not really sure where to put it. The Conrad house was average sized. I expected it to be a little smaller because of the three-person family, but it seemed just like any other house in San Francisco. I dropped the bag next to the door, hoping Denise wouldn't get irritated with where I put it.

I hurried back outside and asked Denise if my position with the bag was okay. She nodded and asked if I could help Gwen out. I was confused by this. Surely, she'd want to help Gwen, not her teenage friend who has feelings for her. I was pretty sure I made my feelings for Gwen pretty obvious.

I shook my head. No, maybe I haven't. It's better that way anyway.

I walked to the side of the SUV and opened the door. Gwen lay with her head against the seat, asleep. I smirked at her appearance. She looked absolutely adorable. I knew Gwen didn't weigh nearly as much as the bag, so I was certain that it'd be fine if I just carried her inside.

A lot of people would look at me with one glance and think I was a weak kid, but when you steal gallons of paint and stuff all the way to your house alone, you get quite the workout. I carried lots of things to the bridges whenever I was about to do graffiti. Usually, I wouldn't exactly know what I'd want to do, so I took multiple things to give me choices. How no one noticed and called the cops is beyond me.

I slithered my left arm under Gwen's torso and my right arm under her knees. I lifted her without struggle and took her to the front door.

Denise had left the door open thankfully. I walked inside with Gwen lying in my arms. She hadn't made any attempt to move or wake up, so I knew that I was being quite successful. Denise stood at the top of the stairs, wide-eyed.

"Where do I set her down?" I asked, hoping she wouldn't ask me how I'd gotten the strength to carry someone without such effort.

I wasn't going to lie to myself, I wasn't exactly carrying a feather. Gwen was still human. But the thing was, she has cancer; a kind where you can't exactly eat like a monster and gain so much weight. She definitely wasn't the weight she was supposed to be at nearly fifteen.

Denise hesitated. "Oh, down the hall, third door to the left."

I nodded and turned down the hall. I carefully opened the door to the third room and was kind of surprised at what it looked like.

Girly. Very, very girly.

Light pink and purple walls, pink drapes along the one window in the room, white desk, white lamp, wooden floor, stuffed animals along shelves above the bed, closet filled with unworn clothes... It was so girly.

I was kind of taken aback. Gwen never struck me as this much of a girl. Surprisingly, I liked it. I liked it. Me. Of all people.

It didn't exactly suit Gwen, but it gave her a sweeter side. I know she hasn't been home lately to change it, but it showed me how innocent she still was. Still so good, even as a fourteen year old girl. You never see girls like her now these days.

I walked towards the bed and cautiously set Gwen on the duvet. I took the covers from under her and lifted them around her body. She looked so peaceful.

I knelt down and kissed her forehead.

Immediately, I felt my ears and neck burn. I really couldn't believe I'd just done that. Again. I rubbed my neck and stood up again. I cleared my throat and turned to leave the room, but stopped short once I saw Denise standing in the doorway with her arms crossed looking directly at me.

Crap.

She gulped before letting her arms drop to her sides.

"I um... I didn't really expect you to see that, Mrs. Conrad," I said, dropping my gaze to the floor.

"You really care about my daughter, don't you."

Her response kind of took me off guard.

"W-what?"

"You care about her. Gwen."

"I-"

Gwen started to stir. I turned swiftly to see her waking up. She looked confused, probably wondering how she'd gotten into her bed. She finally managed to move her head and notice us.

"What's going on?" she croaked.

"Nothing. Go back to sleep. I'll probably stop by sometime later on." I smiled, kneeling next to her bedside so that it'd be easier for her to look at me.

"Tomorrow?"

"Maybe."

"Please?"

I hesitated and glanced at Denise, whose facial expression was blank.

I then turned my gaze back to Gwen. "Yeah, tomorrow."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

Gwen smiled at me. "Thank you."

"Of course."

She opened her arms and I realized she wanted me to hug her.

With her mother in the room.

So I did. Sooner or later, Denise was going to have to deal with the way I interact with her daughter. I hugged Gwen gently and then said my goodbye. I hurriedly left the room, Denise trailing after me.

She grasped my arm right as I opened the front door to leave. "Kyle."

I jerked my head towards Denise.

"Please come tomorrow. She'll be hoping to see you."

Again, that was not what I expected to hear.

Instead of saying anything else because I was sure nothing would come out, I nodded and left the house.

...

"Kyle! Where have you been?!" Mom questioned just as I entered the house.

I sighed. "Agh! Mom, sorry I forgot to call."

"Yeah! You did! I was worried sick! Why didn't you answer your phone?!"

My eyebrows knit together in confusion and I reached into my pant pockets only to realize they were empty. Realization seeped through me once I remembered that I left my phone in my room. "I left it here on accident."

"Where were you?"

"I went to the hospital."

"For five hours?!"

"Gwen didn't tell me that she would finally be going home. She's going to finish recovering at her house for now on. I didn't know I'd be there for so long."

"You went to their house?"

"Denise needed some help with carrying stuff and Gwen wanted me to."

"Where was George?"

I shrugged.

My mom took a deep breath before nodding. "Okay."

I gaped at her. "Okay?"

"Kyle, you and Gwen have become close lately and I've realized that she means a lot to you."

I stiffened.

"You enjoy being with her. It's okay. Just tell me where you're at next time."

I nodded and headed to my room.

"Dinner is in the microwave!" my mom shouted to me.

As if on cue, my stomach growled. I was just thankful she thought I liked Gwen as a friend, not anything more.

Please vote, comment, FOLLOW!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 17 31
'Falling for your best friend is harder than what you expect. But falling for a person who doesn't even give a damn about you is worse than what you...
272K 10.3K 21
Sable Marks never thought that five months after graduation she would still be in the same ocean-side town she grew up in. But five months ago Sable...
856 58 6
Five years later Brenden and Todd have remained friends since high school. So with a never ending friendship, a daughter in kindergarten and a great...
37.3K 1.6K 50
{Trigger warning: This story deals with a lot of serious topics and situations. Heavy detail is included. Ranges from sexual assault, domestic violen...