Charmed: The Next Generation...

By Charmed2013

Melinda, Chris, and Wyatt are the children of one of the legendary Charmed Ones, Piper. The three are destine... More

Charmed: The Next Generation
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four - Skelly
Chapter Five- Disappearing Mermaids
Chapter Six - Lead or No Lead?
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine

Chapter Seven

1.1K 11 2
By Charmed2013

Chapter Seven

         Melinda’s eyes opened as the sunlight streamed into her bedroom. She smiled, but still had that uneasy feeling she had the night before. Shaking it off, she looked at the clock to find that it was eight a.m. Still needing to go to Magic School, she decided to get up and take a shower to start the day off. She went to go check on her brothers, first, to make sure they got back safely the night before.

            Both of their doors were still shut, so she decided it best not to risk waking them by opening the door. The house was very old and almost everything creaked and squeaked. Melinda felt much better knowing that her brothers were home safe and sound. She crept her way into the bathroom and took a nice, long relaxing shower. Her bones ached everywhere from everything that had happened the previous day so she let the hot water gently massage the knots in her back.

            When she got back to her room, she went through the normal routine of picking out an outfit: a red butterfly blouse that fitted her natural curves with black denim jeans and Moschino peep-toe grey high-heeled boots. She wore her long dark hair in loose curls. She wore minimal eye make-up, just mascara, and still looked beautiful. As she applied a light pink lip gloss, she quietly chanted a spell that would keep her make-up intact for the rest of the day. It might have been a little vain of her, but she couldn’t stand it when she came home at the end of the day to find that her make-up was all smeared and her lip gloss wasn’t even there. No matter what they tell you in commercials, there really is no make-up out there that stays on the entire day. And although witches weren’t allowed to use magic for personal gain, she didn’t figure this counted. A good-looking was a confident witch. And a witch that had confidence in herself was better at defeating evil.

            Once she was done getting ready, she wandered downstairs into the kitchen, with her purse in hand, to get something to eat before Portia arrived. Grabbing a box of cereal, she sat down at the island and poured some cheerios in a white bowl while thoughts consumed her.

            Melinda couldn’t figure out why a demon would want to capture mermaids. Sure, mermaids were immortal, like Chris had said, but there was no way that a demon could find a way to draw that magic out of them. Another thought occurred to her. What if a demon was kidnapping mermaids and then killing them? Melinda shook her head. That didn’t make any sense, either. Why would a demon want to kill a mermaid? Yes, demons were evil, but they usually had motives for doing something. What was the motive behind killing a mermaid? Was he or she doing it just for fun? But whoever was kidnapping these mermaids was very powerful. Powerful demons tend to have better motives for killing.

            To top it all off, there was nothing in the book about any of this. No mention of a demon powerful enough to make a vortex to suck mermaids in. No mention of the necklace that Peyton had found. Melinda sighed. She couldn’t put her finger on it, but something didn’t feel right about any of this. Too many things just didn’t add up.

            “Hey.” Melinda nearly jumped out of her seat before realizing it was her mother that had walked into the kitchen in her white robe.

            Piper laughed as she gave Melinda a kiss on the forehead. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.”

            “It’s fine.” Melinda said as she looked down at her bowl full of cereal.

            Noticing something was wrong, but not wanting to press her about it, Piper decided to start a conversation. “So, your dad told me that you had to throw away your favorite jacket.”

            “What?” Melinda looked up. It took a few seconds before she it dawned on her what Piper was talking about. “Oh, yeah. It had a blood stain on it that I couldn’t get out, not to mention a huge tear in the arm.”

            “That’s too bad. But I think I might have something that will cheer you up.” Piper said. “I’ll be right back.”

            Piper headed upstairs while Melinda continued to stare at the bowl of cereal, hoping that if she gazed at it long enough, it would give her an answer. After a few minutes, the cereal still hadn’t revealed anything so Melinda pushed it back and crossed her arms. She wasn’t mad at the cereal; it wasn’t it’s fault that it couldn’t help her with this. She made mental note to talk to her brothers once she got back from the school just as Piper came back into the kitchen.

            “What’s this?” Melinda asked. She hopped down from the bar stool and saw her mother holding a vintage black leather jacket in her hands.

            “It was your Aunt Prue’s favorite piece of clothing. I think she would want you to have it.” Piper said smiling, while her eyes glistened with tears. Prue was Piper’s older sister who had died many years ago during a battle with a demon.

            Melinda gave her mother a hug. “Thank you, Mom.”

            “You know, you remind me so much of her.” Piper said, as the tears threatening to fall down were slowly blinked back.

            “Really? How?” Melinda asked as they pulled apart.

            “Well, for one thing, you have her power. And you look a little bit like her.” Piper replied, smiling as if some memory had just overcome her. “Plus, the way you take control of a situation and try to stay calm… that’s exactly how she was. She was always the one you could depend on to kick some ass. She had confidence in herself and never doubted her gut, just like you.”

            Melinda grinned. She had never met her deceased aunt, but was proud to know that she was  like her.

            “I should start getting ready to go.” Piper said. “I have a few last minute things to pack for the trip.”

            “Okay, I’ve got to go too. I promised Portia I’d go to Magic School with her today.” Melinda said, purposefully leaving the part out about the demon. She didn’t want to worry her mother right before she left for her vacation. Her mom deserved a break and Melinda knew she could handle it. She just had to trust her gut, like Piper said.

            Just as she finished telling her mother about her plans for the rest of the day, Portia hearted in, looking stylish in classic boot cut jeans and a midday meadow top. Her dark hair was straightened, flowing loosely around her.

            “Hi, Aunt Piper.” Portia greeted the elder witch. “Are you ready to go, Mel?”

            Melinda nodded as she pulled the jacket on and grabbed her purse. “Thanks again, Mom. I’ll see you later.”

            “Love you two.” Piper responded, already moving around the kitchen to get herself breakfast.

            “Love you.” The two cousins responded. Melinda grabbed Portia’s hand and they hearted to Magic School.

*          *          *

            “Do you need my help?” Portia asked. She was just about to go off into one of the classrooms to work on her project. Apparently her teacher, Mrs. Barktree, had combined an Economic project with a Potions project. Portia and her group were supposed to make a potion that would appeal to the magical demographic. As in an anti-aging serum or something along those lines. Portia and her group had decided to make a variety of lotions and moisturizers that, when put on, gave a person some… let’s say, “magical help.” For example, the Lavender Confidence Lotion gave a person more self-confidence. And the Rose Petal Power Moisturizer gave a person’s powers an extra boost. After creating these products, they were supposed to market their group’s successes and failures as well as how much “money” they had gotten off the project. (They hadn’t really sold anything; it was all make-believe). Portia just had some last minute touch-ups to do on their Power Point Presentation.

            “No, I’ll be fine.” Melinda answered.

            “Okay then, I’ll meet you back here in two hours so we’ll still have some time to head back home and see our parents off.” Portia said. She walked out of the library, leaving Melinda to find out all the info she could.

            Melinda walked over to one of the many bookshelves and plucked a book off of it. There were so many, she didn’t even know where to start. She sat down at a nearby table, after she had picked as many books as she could carry. She started scanning a page and realized this book wouldn’t contain anything helpful; it wasn’t about anything she was looking for. So book after book, line after line, word after word, Melinda read for as long as she could. After a while, her eyes were getting tired. She had gone through at least seven books and none held any info that would help her.

            The feeling in her gut was getting stronger, telling her something was wrong with this picture. She had tried to ignore it, but her mother had just told her that morning to trust her instincts. Melinda didn’t know why the Elders would send her family on a fake mission, though. They had never done that before and the Elders knew better than to try and trick the Halliwells. Something very fishy was going on.

            As a last ditch effort, Melinda decided to talk to the person she wanted to see least in the world. If this person didn’t know anything about the disappearing mermaids, the vortex, or the necklace, Melinda promised herself that she would go with her gut and call a family meeting. After her parents left for their vacation. She still didn’t want to worry them, but more than anything, she wanted to prove to her mom that she could handle any situation that came her way. She felt like she had to prove herself to her parents and the rest of her family.

            Melinda had felt this way practically her entire life. It wasn’t because of anything her family said or did, but she had two powerful brothers who always took the lead and vanquished more demons and warlocks than she could count. She knew her family, especially her parents, were incredibly proud of them for that and so was she. Even though Melinda had faced her own demons and vanquished quite a few herself, she felt like it wasn’t enough. It’s not like she wanted to be the leader or anything, but she craved for the respect and pride that her brothers bestowed to the Halliwell name.

            “Are you going to stand there all day or come in?” Brody asked.

            Melinda was pulled back into the reality and realized that she was in Brody’s office. Her feet had taken her there without her knowledge when she had been consumed with thoughts. After a moment of not being able to speak, she shook herself out of it and reminded herself why she was there in the first place.

            “I need to ask you something.” Melinda said, through gritted teeth. She hated having to ask Brody for anything.

            Brody looked up from the stack of papers he had been grading. “Really? A Halliwell needs my help? I feel so honored.”

            “You should.” Melinda said. Two could play at this game.

            “You know, Halliwell, if you really do need my help then you should start being a little nicer to me.” Brody said. He got up and sat at the edge of his desk.

            Melinda swallowed, ignoring the fact that he looked incredibly sexy in his black teacher’s robe and sitting on that desk. “Look, this isn’t just about me. There may be some people who are in serious danger.”

            Brody stiffened. The major ass that he could be sometimes, he still wasn’t evil and never wanted to see an innocent get hurt. “What’s going on?”

            Melinda explained to him everything that had happened over the past 24 hours: the mermaids disappearing, the vision, necklace, and not uncovering any more leads besides what the girls found in the ocean.

            “So, have you heard of a demon that can conjure a vortex?” Melinda questioned him. “Or maybe something about the necklace?”

            “The only demon that I’ve ever heard of capturing mermaids was the Sea Hag. She turned willing mermaids into humans and made a deal with them. She said that if they couldn’t find true love in a certain amount of time then they would have to give up their immortality. She would then give the immortality to upper-level demons who would offer her something in return.” Brody told Melinda. “But your mom and aunts vanquished way before you were born, when Piper was pregnant with Wyatt. I don’t know who could be behind these new attacks.”

            Melinda sighed. She was sitting comfortably in one of the seats across from the desk while Brody still rested on the edge of his desk, one hand on his knee.

            “What is it?” Brody asked her. He could tell something was bothering her, besides what they had just talked about.

            Even though neither one of them would admit it, they could still read each other pretty well. They had practically grown up together so they knew all of each other’s faults. Brody was a friend of all of the Halliwells’, as were his parents. The two families had countless memories together which included dinners, holidays, vacations, and birthdays. The pair had been thrown together many times, both families wishing their children would just open their eyes and be together. But Brody and Melinda were too stubborn for that.

            “It’s just… something doesn’t feel right about any of this.” Melinda said, putting a hand on her temple. She could already feel a headache coming on.

            “Did you expect it too? We’re talking about mermaids who may be dead or suffering. Do you expect that to feel right?”

            “No, of course not. That’s not what I’m talking about.” Melinda sighed. She paused for a minute, trying to figure out how to explain her feelings. Brody patiently waited. “Ever since Hope told us about this ‘mission,’ I’ve felt like something was off about it. Too many things just don’t add up.”

            “Like what?” Brody inquired.

            “Like the fact that the only proof we have of mermaids actually disappearing is Peyton’s vision and that necklace. Like the fact that there was nothing in the Book of Shadows about the vortex or necklace.”

            “Maybe your ancestors hadn’t come across this demon before.”

            “Maybe, but there is no record of this demon or a vortex capable of sucking mermaids anywhere. Not in the books back at my house or here or on the internet. There is nothing.” By now, Melinda had gotten up and was pacing around the small space. She stopped for a second and looked at him. “Doesn’t any of this sound a little suspicious?”

            “I guess so, but-“

            “I mean, we usually have something solid to go on, by now. Usually it’s pretty simple, well not simple, but you know what I mean. There is always something more, but we can’t find anything else.” Melinda said. Brody had learned long ago that once Mel was on a rant, nobody could stop her. It was better to just let her get all the steam out of her system and wait until she was finished. “There is something else going. I know it, I can feel it. I just can’t figure out what it is.” She ended her tirade in a huff.

            “Are you done now?” Brody asked her, a smile playing on his lips. He had always found this habit of her talking nonstop cute and even a bit charming

            She glared at him for a second before answering. “Yes.”

            “Good. Now, would you like me to share my wisdom and knowledge with you?” Brody said his amazing smile replaced with a smirk.

            Melinda pretended to look really interested. “Yes, please, oh wise one. Do share your vast knowledge and experience with such a commoner as myself.”

            Brody rolled his eyes at her, but still continued. “Look, even though I make fun of you and tease you a lot doesn’t mean that I don’t think you have amazing instincts. All Halliwells do; it’s a proven fact. But I don’t think the Elders would send you on some wild goose chase. They have no reason too. So, until you have enough reasons to believe that something else is going on, just keep working on finding out more about the vortex and mermaids. You’re probably just at a dead end right now.”

            Melinda nodded, taking this all in. Brody was probably right. Just because things aren’t going my way right now doesn’t mean that something else even more fishy is going on. Melinda rationalized. I’m just being paranoid. Being a Halliwell will do that to you, I guess.

            “Thanks.” Melinda said to him, suddenly grateful she had come to talk to him.

            “No problem. I’m sure I’ll think of some way for you to pay me back.” Brody replied, his smirk reappearing on his face.

            And just like that the real Brody Morgan was back.

            Melinda’s phone vibrated in her pocket and she pulled it out, looking at the caller ID.

            “Hey, dad, I’ll be home in a few to see you guys off to the airport.”

            “That’s not why I’m calling. Your mother is freaking out.” Leo said.

            “What? Why?” Melinda asked.

            “We can’t find your brothers anywhere and their beds are made like they haven’t been slept in.” Leo paused for a second. Melinda could hear her aunts in the background, trying to calm Piper down. “We were wondering if you had any idea where they could be.”

            “Are you sure they aren’t at the house?” Melinda asked. Panic was rising inside of her and it was evident in her voice. Brody raised an eyebrow at her, silently asking her what was going on.

            “We’ve checked everywhere and they aren’t here. Do you know if they had any plans on going anywhere today? They usually tell us before they head out anywhere so we don’t worry about them, but I was just wondering if they had forgotten.” Leo said.

            “Umm, I’m not sure. Listen, dad, can I call you back? I’m kind of in the middle of something right now.” That was a lie. The truth was that she needed to get her father off of the phone so she could sort out her thoughts.

            “Princess, I understand that, but we’re really concerned over here.” Leo said. Melinda could hear the panic and fear in her father’s voice as well.

            “Well, um, remember how the Elders gave us that assignment yesterday? Well, we couldn’t really find anything about it so when Chris and Wyatt got home yesterday, they said that they would do some research about it today.” Melinda chewed her lip as she lied. She hated lying to her dad, but she didn’t want to worry her parents before their vacation. In fact, if they knew their sons were actually missing, they would call off the vacation entirely. Melinda didn’t want to see that happen.

            Leo sighed with relief as he relayed the information to his wife and sister-in-laws. “So they’re at Magic School then?”

            “Umm, they didn’t really say where they were going actually. They might be there or maybe the public library to look up some old folklore on mermaids.”

            “Oh, okay. Do you think they’ll be back in time to say good-bye to us?”

            “I’m sure they’ll try their best, but they might get too caught up in all the research. You know how they get when they’re on a mission.”

            Leo laughed. “It’s the same way your Aunt Paige was back in the day. Well, I’m sure we’ll talk to them over the phone while we’re away. You and the girls are coming back, though, right?”

            “Yep, we’ll be there. But I really have to go right now so…”

            “Right. We’ll see you soon.” Leo said as he hung up.

            Melinda slowly placed her phone back in her pocket, trying to process what her dad had told her. If what he said was true, then Chris and Wyatt never actually came home last night. She’d only assumed that because both of their doors were shut, but now she realized they always kept the door closed. She felt so stupid to think her brothers were home and safe all because their damn door wasn’t open.

            Brody took a step forward. “Is everything okay?”

            Melinda looked up at him. “Do my brothers missing count as enough reason to believe something else is going on?”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.1K 62 22
Prue is dead, the power of four is broken but when Pandora, Piper and Phoebe discover there's another sister who kept the power of four alive
60 13 3
Four very different sisters were raised apart with no idea they were witches. Now, they must come together to stop the warlock who killed their mothe...
11.4K 830 12
𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐖𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐈 𝐃𝐎 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐒𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐌𝐎𝐔𝐓𝐇 ? 𝐃𝐑𝐀𝐖𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐌𝐄 𝐈𝐍, 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐊𝐈𝐂𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐌𝐄 𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐘�...
9.8K 159 22
It's been one year since Pandora, Prue, Piper and Phoebe have become witches. The charmed ones and they face a new stronger evil