A New Life

By divergentgirl_4_life

Tris Eaton is a young girl forced to grow up by her dark past. She's in search for a fresh start, a new life... More

Chapter 1: Aptitude Test
Chapter 2: Choosing Ceremony
Chapter 3: Free
Chapter 4: Dauntless
Chapter 5: The First Night
Chapter 6: The First Glimpse
Chapter 7: Tattoos
Chapter 8: Eric's POV #1
Chapter 9: Proof
Chapter 11: Visiting Day
Chapter 12: Eric's POV #2
Chapter 13: Candor Or Dauntless
Chapter 14: Flying
Chapter 15: Rankings
Chapter 16: Simulations
Chapter 17: Fears
Chapter 18: Fears Part 2 -Eric
Chapter 19: Comfort
Chapter 20: Challenges
Chapter 21: Healing
Chapter 22: Friends
Chapter 23: Landscape
Chapter 24: Eric's POV #3
Chapter 25: Placement
Chapter 26: Jobs
AN:
Chapter 27: Discoveries
Chapter 28: Plans

Chapter 10: Care

1.8K 35 1
By divergentgirl_4_life

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN DIVERGENT, THAT BELONGS TO THE VERY TALENTED VERONICA ROTH.

I was still slightest bit sore the next day, but the ache was a bearable numbness. I woke up in the empty room and slowly got dressed pulling on a tight V-neck T-shirt and some leggings before I walked to the training room, skipping out on the Dining Hall. I was the first to arrive at training the others showing up shortly after. Peter walks in behind the others and I can't fight the smirk pulling at my lips. He has black stitching under his lip and the left side of his face is sporting a decent sized bruise. His eyes scan the room then meet my gaze. They're as cold as ever, but impossible to read, showing no emotion in the forest green orbs. It's not long before Four and Eric begin the day with a demonstration on knife throwing. They line us up before the targets, three knives in our hands as Four gets into his throwing position. I watch closely as he lets the knife fly. It spins in the air before hitting dead center and staying buried deep within the heart of a body shaped target. I get in line with my target as Four had and repeat his motions not once releasing the knife. After I feel I have the motions down I try once more but let go sending the knife spinning tip over handle until it hits the target, then the floor. I take in a deep breath and go through the steps once more, letting the blade fly through the air again. The knife sticks in the left shoulder of the target making me the first to get a blade in the target. I can't help but smile slightly as I look over my shoulder. My eyes lock with Eric's and my smile grows the smallest bit.

"Remind me to never get on your bad side when there are knives present."Al smiles at me dragging my back to the present. I laugh softly and shove him gently shaking my head as I turn back to the target and throw my last knife. It hits closer to the heart of the target sticking once again. We continue to throw and I'm soon hitting the heart of the target nearly every time. Everyone has hit the target besides Al and I can tell he's getting desperate. He throws again and the knife chatters to the floor closer to my own target rather than his own. Eric notices and he begins walking in our direction.

"Is that really the best you can do?" He spits at Al and I stiffen a little.

"Um, it, uh, it slipped." Al stutters cowering away from Eric who is now leaning into his face.

"Go get it then." Eric challenges him but Al doesn't move. "Why are you still here? You scared or something." Eric leans closer to Al and he takes a step back only prompting Eric to move closer.

"Of getting hit by a flying knife, kinda." Al nods and I mentally face palm. You have got to be kidding me! Why wouldn't he think this through?

"Everybody stop!" Eric bellows and everyone freezes not even twitching a muscle. "Go stand at the target." He nearly whispers and Al turns reluctantly with his head down to walk to where he was instructed. "Four a hand please." It wasn't a question, but a sugar coated command. Four grabs four knifes and approaches Eric slowly.

"Is this really necessary?" Four asks calmness lacing his voice.

"Yes, yes it is." Eric gesture for Four to take his position before Al. "Al will stand there until he no longer flinches." Eric says to the room almost sweetly. I can visible see Al shake from where I stand beside Four as he raises his arm to throw.

"Four wait." I announce clearly and loudly, the sound echoing in the silent room. Four shoots me a warning look, but I continue anyways. "Any coward." I spit and Al cringes at the word. "Can prove themselves like this." I motion to the target and Eric groans.

"Fine. Why don't you 'prove' yourself then?" He shrugs holding his arm out to the place currently occupied by Al.

"Ok." I walk to the target swiftly and proudly. Al moves mouthing a 'thank you' to me then quickly scurries off. I turn and press my back to the target standing tall quirking an eyebrow at Eric. I trust Four completely. He will not hit me.

"Flinch and you let Al stand there got it?" Four growls and I nod. He raises his arm and lets go of the knife hitting half a foot away from my cheek. "Had enough Stiff?" He taunts and I shoot him a glare. He simply shrugs and transfers a knife from his left hand to his right. He raises his arm and before I could even blink I hear a thud. The blade sits right above my head. Four raises an eyebrow and smirks.

"Ready to let someone else try?" He continues to push me and I'm starting to get annoyed. I clench my jaw in order to keep my tongue from acting before my brain.

"Four, stop!" I try to remain calm although anger laces my voice. His smirk remains as he flings the next blade. It hits the target behind me leaving a sting in my left ear. I can feel the blood dripping from my freshly cut skin. He hit me!

"We're done for today. Everyone leave." Eric shouts and everyone scurries out leaving me, him and Four alone in the room.

"Bea I'm sorry." Four says walking towards me.

"You cut me." I growl.

"I know, I'm-" He starts only to be cut off.

"Four leave." Eric demands not moving his eyes from mine as he approaches the two of us.

"Why?" Four steps between us.

"Now!" Eric shouts and Four turns to hug me before leaving. "Are you ok?" Eric ask walking all the way up to me after the door closes. He raises his hand to my face and I feel the need to be close to him before I push that urge to the back of my mind.

"Since when do you care?" I say bitterly crossing my arms over my chest and leaning away from his still extended hand.

"God you're so damn stubborn." He moves his hand away to drag it down his face before looking at me again. "I've always cared." he sighs softly and my breath hitches in my swelling chest. "When are you going to learn that I can't favor you?" He groans and my chest tightens further.

"Oh yeah, cause someone who cares definitely would hang me over the Chasm then make my own brother throw knifes at me." I scuff.

"No," he bluntly says. "But someone who cares tries their best to help you succeed, or stays with you while you lie unconscious in a hospital." He finishes stepping closer to me again. "Just know I do care." He whispers then turns and walks out. I stand there shocked, my heart pounding against my ribs as I process the words that still linger in the stale air. He cares? Eric cares about me? How? My mind swirls as I sit in the training room silently until dinner. my own breaths and heart beet the only thing residing in my ears. I went to dinner eventually and ate quietly mostly listening to the others.

"Hey, what did Eric say to you?" Chris asks me and I look up at her.

"Oh, um nothing important." I say softly avoiding her eyes. I feel multiple gazes on me before I look up in his the direction of his table. His eyes are on me and I quickly push myself up. "You know what, I'm kinda tired I'm gonna head back to the dorm and get to bed." I announce grabbing my tray and walking off without giving the others the chance to speak. I get back and lay down quickly falling asleep.

I don't know how long I slept before I'm awaken by a bright light and loud voices.

"Raise and shine!" Eric bellows. "Be at the tracks in five minutes or join the Factionless." With that he leaves and I'm suddenly happy I feel asleep in my clothes. I swing my legs over my bunk, grab my combat boots and jacket before pulling my hair down and heading to the tracks. I reach the rooftop where the train passes and see that no one else is here as of now. I make my way over to the ledge and step up onto it, inches from death. The wind pulls me in different directions as I look up at the beautiful star filled sky and full moon. I sway softly, but never enough to fall. Although the fact that I could fall right now doesn't scare me it actually sends a thrill through me. I glance down at the ground far below me before looking back up.

"You're not going to jump are you?" I hear a voice behind me and turn to see none other than Eric himself standing a few yards away. I turn back to the city and shake my head softly.

"Just enjoying the view." I say quietly not looking at him. In the far distance I can see the fence and can't help but wonder what lies beyond it. "What's outside the fence?" I question as I hear him approach me further. I look back at him, now standing feet away from me, and see the moon's reflection sparkling in his eyes.

"Amity farms." He shrugs.

"I knew that, but after that, outside the city limits?" I turn around to face him and smile softly instinctively.

"Let's just believe that there's a reason for it being built." He says as he steps closer now standing directly behind me. The wind yanks at me violently and I instantly place my hands on his shoulders for balance. He places a hand on my waist and I can't bring myself to pull away. I'm just about eye level with him while up here and I can't help but stare into his capturing gray eyes. We stay like this in silence, looking into eachothers eyes until the others burst through the door. I quickly hop down from the ledge, removing myself from him, and walk over to the gang. I glance over at Eric only to see him watching me as I leave him standing there, hands dangling by his sides. I pull my eyes from his and walk up to Four to snake my arms around him.

"So Toby wanna tell me what were doing?" I whisper for only him to hear. I feel him chuckle in my arms before he wraps his around me.

"Sorry sis, no can do." He kisses my cheek and I pout.

"Pwease?" I beg pulling on his arm and making a puppy dog face. He shakes his head and looks away.

"Don't you dare give me that face Bea." He scolds holding his laughter.

"But Foooouuurrrr." I whine continuing looking up at him with wide eyes.

"Wait." Uri interrupts. "Does Four have a weakness?" He laughs until Four shoots him a look. I take this as my turn to laugh and Uri throws an arm over my shoulder. Not long after I hear the horn in the distance and turn to see lights coming around the corner.

"Everyone grab a gun and ammo, and don't miss the train." Eric yells gesturing to a bag as he throws it to the ground. I'm the first to grab one each before I start to run alongside the train. I grab the handle and pull myself on, not gracefully, but successfully and walk over to lean on the wall while the other get on and Four begins to speak.

"Ok," He announces. "Eric and I will be team captains for Capture the Flag. This is a long tradition in Dauntless so I suggest you don't mess around." He put his 'Four' mask on and crosses his arms.

"One team will go hide their flag first then the second team will leave to hide theirs. We'll pick transfers first." Eric looks at us. "Four." He nods to him.

"I want Tris." Four says and Eric shoots a look in his direction. Eric picks then Four and so on until the entire train is divided in two. The whole gang being on my team besides Al who got stuck with Peter and his minions. My team begins jumping off and Shauna and Lynn start taking us in the direction of the marsh. The others decided on hiding the flag in the amusement park, which I didn't dispute and they quickly began arguing about strategies to take. I'm not gonna bother trying to be heard, so I decide to sneak away to find a better vantage point on my own as to where their flag is. I look up at the ferris wheel and assume that'll be my best option with in a close distance of my team. I step onto the bottom rung of the ladder and jump a few times to ensure it'll hold me and it does.

"Bea, what are you doing?" Four captures my attention standing with his arms crossed behind me. I look back at him and roll my eyes.

"I'm going up there to look for their flag." I say pointing up the ferris wheel then start climbing not waiting for his approval.

"I'm coming with you." He says climbing as well. I groan glancing at him below me now stepping up on the ladder to climb as well.

"You don't have to follow me, I'll be fine." I argue continuing my path.

"Sorry, it's my job." He says and I can't hear the smirk in his deep voice. There's no way out if this.

"As a brother or an instructor?" I ask

"Both." He answers

"You know I'm not really a fan of all these 'jobs' of yours." I grumble but don't stop my path. I start to hear his breathing deepen and look over my shoulder at him. "You good Four?" I ask.

"Don't call me that." He huffs.

"Fine, Number Boy." I smirk going higher.

"Tris you know what I mean." He almost whines. "It's nice hearing my name from you again." He continues and I can't help but smile.

"Fine Toby, are you ok?"

"How are you ok?" He redirects the question. "I mean we're so high." He stutters a little as he sucks in a breath. I look down for the first time and see the ground far below me. I guess I've always loved heights. I know this fall would mean death, but don't think about that I simply continue up.

"You're afraid of heights?" I ask and his silence answers the question. "Why did you follow me then Toby?" I scold.

"I ignore my fear. Your more important than it." His breathing hitches as a gust of wind passes us.

"I didn't think you had any fears." I state not even faltering at the fource. We're almost at the small platform.

"Everyone's afraid of something, where do you think the name comes from?" He says and I think about it. Four, he has four fears.

"What are the other three?" I ask, my curiosity bubbling.

"Confinement, killing an innocent and," He pauses and I hear him sigh. "Watching him kill you."

"Oh." I know exactly who he is talkinging about but I can't seem to find words as we reach the platform. I look over the landscape before us and see a building blocking our view. "We gotta climb some more." I look up and see that the ladder ends. I quickly wedge my foot in the cross bars of the wheel and pull myself up. I move up a few feet before I hear him move behind me.

"Seriously Beatrice, are you human?" He pants.

"You don't have to follow me Tobias." I look down at him.

"Yeah yeah, whatever." He brushes me off and continues up after me. I continue to grab the bars and pull myself up then wedge my foot in and repeat the motion. I stop every few feet to see if we passed the building and once we actually do I see a slight glow inside the clock tower.

"Well look at that." I smile pointing their flag out to Tobias he follows my finger and smiles at me. "Start down I'll climb behind you." I say and he looks at me a second before nodding and swinging himself down with ease. I start following but nearly have to drop and catch myself in the process. Once I'm about halfway to the platform the beam I land on breaks away plummeting to the ground and I'm dropped before I catch the nearest bar holding on for dear life. I hear a scream escaped my lips before I can cut it off.

"Toby!" I cry out. I know I can't hold on forever my hands arm damp with sweat and I don't necessarily have the best strength. I could slip at any second, I could fall

"Hold on Bea, I have a plan." I look to see him going down, opposite direction of where I hang. Past him I see the ground. I would for sure die from this drop, I won't make it. My fingers are throbbing and my knuckles are bone white.

"Please Toby, please." I whisper to myself closing my eyes. "Come on Tobias, do something please." I continue until the wheel jerks almost causing me to fall. I scream again and it begins to move. As I near the ground I see that I need perfect timing in order not to get hit by one of the cars coming down to the ground. Once I'm close enough I drop to the ground and roll to avoid the descending compartments. When I'm out of the way I lay there laughing with my hands over my face. Tobias runs up to me and wraps his arms around me.

"Are you ok?" He asks pulling my hands from my face.

"Yeah I'm good." I pant then turn in his arms to face him. "If you told me it worked we wouldn't have had to climb it." I laugh a little and he laughs as well.

"I didn't know, I just thought it was the best option." He says before standing up brushing himself off. "Now, we have a game to win." He holds his hand out to me and I pull myself up. Once I'm up he loops my arm through his and we return to where the team is. I notice a few are missing, one of them being Zeke.

"What the hell guys! Why the hell did you turn on the wheel? You basically told them where we are!" Shauna huffs as we approach.

"That doesn't matter, we know where they are anyways." Four replies with a proud grin.

"How?" Chris asks crossing her arms over her chest.

"While you idiots were blabbing on we climbed the ferris wheel to look for their flag." I say crossing my arm as well and raising my chin in pride.

"Ok, well now what?" Asks Uri jumping from the top of the carrisol.

"I got and idea." They all look at me. I don't know where this idea came from, but I mine as well go with it.

"Well leave one person here to guard while the others go get their flag. We'll split in half. Half a distraction, the other half will go for the flag." I shrug like it's no big deal. They all think it through before nodding their approval.

"Sounds like a plan." Lynn says. "Let's go kick some ass." She walks off without a seconds doubt and we follow after. Shauna stays back, Chris and I go for the flag while Uri guards us and everyone else acts as a distraction. We walk towards the tower and once we get about fifty yards away we split and shouts shortly follow. Chris, Uri and I sprint to the tower avoiding shots here and there. Uriah stays outside as Chris and I enter. I open the door slightly and paint splats right above my head causing my to closes the door again.

"Go for the flag. I'll hold whoever this is off." I whisper to Chris and she nods. I pull the door all the way open and go in ducking. Chris runs for the stairs and the person aims at her but misses. I shoot blindly at what I think is them and I hear them drop their gun. I walk out of the shadows and see who I was shooting at. Eric. He reaches for his gun but I shoot in front of him blocking his path off. He backs away and raises his hands as I move closer. I'm a few steps away from him when he kicks the gun from my hands and it lands across the room. Damn it, why didn't I just shoot him when I had the chance? He starts running for the stairs but I jump between him and where he needs to go.

"Really Stiff? You're gonna fight me off?" He smirks and before he can process it I throw a punch straight at his jaw. He stumbles back a little an chuckles before getting into his stance. He swings but I duck and hit him in the stomach. He groans but before I know it he kicked my legs out from under me knocking my to the ground. As soon as I hit I spin kicking his legs causing him to hit the ground with a thud. I move quickly to straddle his hips, leaning over him and holding his hand down with my own. I know it wouldn't do much if he tried to get out of this, but to my surprise he doesn't move. I look into his eyes to find him already staring into mine. I hear a cheer signaling the end of the game and my victory. I smirk at the man below me and bend down kissing his cheek before I can think of stopping myself.

"Good game Eric." I say softly and move to stand only for him to pull me back down. I look at him and raise an eyebrow, but he doesn't answer instead he pulls my head down meeting my lips to his. I'm shocked for a second before I begin to kiss him back forcefully to match his own intensity. I move my hands onto his chest scraping my nails softly over the material of his shirt. His hands go into my hair pulling me closer to him. My heart raises to my throat and I feel a tingling warmth fill my body radiating from every point of contact I make with him. I pull back once I desperately need air and smile down at him. I watch his chest move as he catches his breath and he places a hand on my cheek. I lean into his touch as he opens his mouth to speak but is stopped. The sound of footsteps pounding down the stairs interrupts us all too soon. I quickly jump off Eric and straighten myself out while he stands. Chris comes running down the stairs and instantly jumps on me knocking me back down to the ground. We both laugh as she hugs me and waves the flag around.

"We won Trissy!" She yells in my face.

"That's great, but can you get off? I need air." I gasp and she gets off helping me up. I stand looking to Eric who now stands back, watching us, a smirk playing at his lips as he battles to keep it away. I open the door only to be picked up and thrown over someone's shoulder.

"Way to go Tris, you won this for us." He says spinning and I scream from laughter and hit his back in protest.

"Uriah Pedrad you better put me down right now!" I yell and he spins a few more times before setting me back on my feet as the room spins.

"Um I'm the one who got the flag." Chris argues Uri's statement waving it in our faces.

"Only cause I sacrificed my ass for you." I say snatching it from her.

"Who was down here anyways?" She asks and I point over my shoulder at Eric. She mumbles a 'sorry bout that' and I shrug it off. He smirks pushing past us brushing my shoulder lightly before walking out the door winking at me when the other two weren't looking. I feel a blush appearing on my cheeks and I start to follow him with Chris and Uri. Once we get to the tracks my friends start joking around but the entire time I find my eyes drifting back to Eric.

"Tris what are you-" Chris looks over my shoulder to see what I was looking at. "No way!" She practically screams until I cover her mouth and drag her away. She grins at me. "You were staring at him, you totally like him." She squeals and I shush her.

"Ok ok I like him, and?" I huff not even trying to lie to her. She squeals again and start jumping up and down.

"Trissy's got a crush. Trissy's got a crush." She starts singing rather loudly. I cover her mouth and she licks me.

"Did you just lick me?" I shriek wiping my hand on my shirt I look up and see a few pairs of eyes followed us, one of which were Eric's he raises an eyebrow at me in question and I gently shake my head. I turn back to Chris and cross my arms leaning closer to her. "Tell anyone and I'll tell everyone you like Will." I hiss and she freezes. "Especially my brother, tell him and you're dead." I whisper shout at her and she nods the ghost of a smile on her lips. I roll my eyes and walk away from her towards the others. Chris and I make it back to the group in time to hop on the train and avoid questioning. I sit against the wall between Chris and Uri on the way back and we laugh and nudge each other the whole ride. I constantly glance at Eric only to see him looking back, I quickly turn back to Uri and laugh at his story of his first paintball trip.

"He was totally staring at you." Chris whispers in my ear and I glare at her. "What? He was. I bet Mr. Mean has a thing for you too." She continues to whisper and I feel my cheeks heat up. I glance at Eric again and he's still looking at me which only deepens my blush slightly

Once back at Dauntless were all walking through the Pit. I had Toby's arm slung over my shoulder talking to Chris when I hear someone call 'Stiff' behind me. I turn to see the gray eyes and muscular body I've learned all too well. I nod the rest ahead but Toby and Chris stay. I lean on my toes and hug Toby real quick.

"Go Tobias," I whisper. "I'll be fine." I say before I push him away.

"Don't have too much fun." Chris mumbles before following behind the others. I turn back to the man in front of me only for him to grab my arm and pull me into a nearby hall. I lean against the wall and look him in the eye but see something lying behind them.

"Tris, this can't happen." He breaths out and I narrow my eyes slightly.

"What do you mean by this?" I ask a chill running over me.

"This," He motions between the two of us. "Us, you and me." I feel like I'm choking on my heart, but feel my pulse coursing through my body as he continues. "I mean I'm a leader and you're just an initiate." He says and that pulsing stops completely and is replaced with heat.

"Fine, it never happened then." I spit pushing myself off the wall. "We wouldn't want to knock you off your throne Sir Eric." I bow and begin to walk away, but he grabs my arm and pushes me back against the wall.

"That's not what I meant." He hisses rubbing his face with one hand, the other framing me against the wall. "I was going to say, I like you, I really do, but we need to wait. For your safety and my job." He pauses and looks into my eyes with a look that could melt and freeze me all at the same time. "Just know I will wait, I'd be willing to wait forever for you." With that he pushes his lips to mine for a second before turning and walking away leaving me alone in the dark hallway. Once again today he left me with my thoughts. Thoughts like: What the hell just happened? What the hell do we have to wait for? What the hell does this have to do with my safety? And most importantly, how the hell does this man do this to me? One second I want nothing to do with him and the next I want nothing but to be in his arms. These thoughts ran through my mind as I walked back to the dorm. I got in my bed and let darkness take me with the thought of his words and the feeling of his lips on mine being the last thing in my head.

AN: I'm soooo sorry I'm posting so late. My WIFI broke yesturday before I could post. I'll try my best to continue posting on Mondays, but sometimes things happen. Anyways, I hope this weeks chapter was worth the wait. I finlly got a little romance started, and trust me the wait for more will not be long. I appreciate each of you and you have no idea how much this story means to me. Please comment and vote, thank you, and until next week.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.1M 45.2K 53
Welcome to The Wattpad HQ Community Happenings story! We are so glad you're part of our global community. This is the place for readers and writers...
179K 1K 190
Mature content
24.5K 606 21
๐‘ฒ.๐’ƒ๐’‚๐’Œ๐’–๐’ˆ๐’๐’– ๐’™ ๐’“๐’†๐’‚๐’…๐’†๐’“ โ†ณ ๐‘ฐ๐’ ๐’˜๐’‰๐’Š๐’„๐’‰ two students relate to eachother in more ways than one. โ†ณ Class 3-A students A little Secret rela...
165K 8.7K 85
Being flat broke is hard. To overcome these hardships sometimes take extreme measures, such as choosing to become a manager for the worst team in Blu...