Always and Forever

By BrittanyLeigh8

After a crazy drunken night and marriage to her best friend Nathaniel Holbrook, Peyton Green fled before he h... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Chapter 9

15.2K 472 37
By BrittanyLeigh8

Chapter 9

Last night was probably the best I had slept since I had been here. In a weird I was starting to feel more relaxed in Nathan’s home and presence now. I don’t know what has changed, but it was nice.

Nathan didn’t stick around to greet me this morning much to my disappointment. Instead I learned that he had left an hour before I came down for breakfast. I thought he would have at least left me a message or something.

Oh well, I thought, pushing those thoughts aside. Maybe he didn’t want to wake me. It was very considerate of him if the was the case.

“More orange juice Mrs. Hol- I mean Peyton?” She corrected quickly.

Despite my morning gloom about Nathan I sent her a smile in return. She was the first person that worked for Nathan who actually called me by my first name. At least someone around here listens to me. I think Amelia and I are going to get along just fine.

“No, I’m fine.” I said covering my glass. “I was actually getting ready to head out. I have a few more interviews I need to complete this morning.”

“I’m surprised you had time for any interviews this morning; it’s nearly noon.” She replied gathering up the dishes.

I nearly choked on what was left of my orange juice as I pulled the now raised glass to my face away from my mouth.

Surely it couldn’t be noon already. No wonder Nathan left without saying goodbye. He would have wasted half the day waiting on me to rise.

“I hadn’t realized. I guess I better call and see if I can reschedule.”

I wonder what possessed me to sleep so late. I am always an early riser. Despite the fact that I stayed up till two A.M talking with Nathan this morning, I still should have been up by eight at least.

“I’m sure it won’t be a problem. If they know your husband then they’ll understand.” She stated before exiting the room with a tray full of dishes.

I sighed to myself at her words. I didn’t want them to know. I wanted to get a job on my own. That’s why I hadn’t told them myself.

I pushed myself up from the table and proceeded through the living room on my way back to my room. I still had so much I needed to do. There were interview appointments to reschedule, family to call and not to mention I hadn’t even gotten dressed yet.

My mother would kill me if she saw how lazy I was being today. She was more of an always keep busy kind of person; nothing like me. I mean, of course I like to stay busy, but people deserve rest sometimes.

However, today was not one of those times.

The rest of the day passed rather quickly what with all the things I had to do and kept my mind rather busy. Two of the places I had interviews with today had no problem letting me reschedule my appointment as I gave them a little white lie about having to be out of town for something today, but the third had informed me that the position I was applying for had already been filled, so having me coming in was not necessary anymore.

After that was settled I finally got around to calling my mom and Kristen seeing as I hadn’t spoken to them in a few days and arranged to meet them for lunch sometime next week. My mom had always loved Kristen so it wasn’t a problem getting them both together for one lunch date.

They knew each other pretty well from all the times Kristen had come over to my house or I had gone to hers. In fact I should probably drop by and see how her mom is doing now. Well maybe after I meet with Nathan’s parents. I don’t think they would like it very much if I went to visit everyone else in town before meeting with them. Beside they were technically my in laws and Nathan had informed me last night that they had been bugging him to arrange a get together between our families. I suppose I can’t avoid it for very long.

After my hair was completely dried from my rather lengthy shower I began applying my make-up in the large mirror that currently hung above the sink in the bathroom. I wouldn’t lie, it was very convenient having a bathroom in my room, but Nathan didn’t need to go to such great lengths to keep me comfortable. I was a rather simple girl. I room next to a large bathroom would have sufficed.

Once my make up was finished I traveled back into the room and went through my things finding something to wear. It wasn’t hard with all the things that Nathan had provided me.

I picked very conservative charcoal colored dress with a wide black waist belt that was far too expensive looking for something I would wear, but decided on it anyway to save time from looking a bit longer. It was definitely one of the simpler things in my closet.

My overall look today was a bit more natural than most. I kept my make up neutral and my hair quite simple. After drying it I simply ran my hands through it and left it at that. I wasn’t trying to impress anyone today. I had nothing to do or nowhere to go. Nathan would be pleased.

This was what he had wanted me to do since I arrived; nothing. Well unless it involved the finer things in life and a job was apparently not one of them.

While slipping on a pair of matching shoes to my outfit my phone buzzed in one of the side pockets of the dress alerting me of a call. It I had to guess I’d say it was Nathan checking up on me or letting me know he’d be coming home late again. At this point it was all I expected from him. He was positively a workaholic. Just like his dad.

“Hello?” I said bring the phone up to my ear with even checking to the caller I.D. It was a bad habit of mine.

“Babe, you answered.”A familiar surprised voice said on the other end of the line. “I’ve been calling you for three days now.”

“What do you want Mason?” I replied in an annoyed tone.

“What do I want? Are you serious?” He flabbergasted.

“Yes, I am.” I stated emotionlessly.

I really did get why he was still calling. I thought after our last conversation he would have gotten that I it was over, but apparently I wasn’t clear enough.

“Is something wrong? I don’t get why you’re so mad.” He replied.

“Really, you turn innocent people out of their homes and you don’t think that’s a bit cruel? Why wouldn’t I be mad?” I said in a bit of a huff.

“Okay relax.” He said giving a light chuckle. “First, you never showed much interest in my work before so how was I to know you would care? And second it was my company that bought the land not me directly.”

I let out a sarcastic laugh. “Is that suppose to make it okay? And I thought that all purchases had to go through you first? Are you really telling me you knew nothing about it?”

The idea that he would do that was completely preposterous. I knew better than that.

“Look,” He started. “If I’d known it was such a big deal to you I wouldn’t have done it, but it already happened so what can I do? Do you want me to donate it to some worthy cause or something? I could use it as a tax write off if that’s the case.”

I let out a breath of air in disbelief. He really didn’t get it, did he? I can’t believe he really thinks that will fix everything. It fixes nothing.  It’s the principle of the matter.

“If you don’t know what you should do then I’m not going to tell you. You’re only willing to do what you’re offering because I want you to, not because you think it’s the right thing to do. That is where we are different.”

“But it will be done so what’s the difference?” He asked still unable to understand where I was coming from.

“This difference is that I you’re not the person I thought you were. I barely knew anything about you at all. I was so blinded my your many charms that I couldn’t see anything else. This is my fault. We’re nothing alike.”

It was a shame and it was sadly true. I didn’t know who this man was.

“The teach me.” He argued. “Teach me to see the world like you do.”

“I can’t.” I stated regretfully. “It’s not something you can learn, it’s something that you just do.”

There was a short pause on the other end on the line for a moment and if he hadn’t of spoken when he did then I would thought he hung up. “So, what are you saying? Are you breaking off our engagement?”

I could hear the disappointment in his voice, but it wasn’t a great sadness. I loved Mason…or thought I did anyway. But I’m not blinded anymore. I can finally see all the things people tired to warn me about; even my best friend Allison. She had been skeptical of him since the very beginning, but I brushed it off seeing as Amanda felt the exact opposite of her. She was just being a good friend by looking out for me and now I see why.

“I think I am.” I muttered.

It’s not that I wanted to, because it hurt like hell. It’s because I needed to. I couldn’t marry a stranger. Besides I was technically married to another man. A man that I promised I would work on my marriage with. 

It had to be done.

“Don’t.” He begged. “Not yet. Just think on it a while. We have been together for almost two years. Do you really want to throw it all away?”

Why did he need to make this harder than it already was? Why couldn’t he just accept things didn’t work out and move of from this? It would better all around if he would just forget about us.

“Mason.” I sighed.

“No.” He shot out quickly to prevent my response. “Don’t answer, just think about it, okay?”

I shook my head seeing no point in arguing with him about it anymore. He didn’t want to hear my answer and he wasn’t going to change my mind. It is what it is.

“My answer will still be the same.” I stated hoping he would just give up.

“Just give it the rest of the week and if you still feel the same as you say you will then I’ll accept you decision, but only then.”

I was already growing tired of this conversation and decided to do whatever means necessary to end it. So did what I should have done when he asked me to marry him. I told him the truth.

“Mason it’s not going to happen because….I’m married.”

And just like that it felt as if a weight had been lifted from my shoulders and I was finally able to be honest with him. It’s sad that it took this for me to be able to do it but I did it nonetheless. The truth was out now.

“Married?” His surprise tone echoed through the phone.

“Yes.” I confirmed.

“But how? We were engaged just a few days ago.” He stated. “Did you do this to get back at me or something?”

I was taken aback by his harsh accusation and slowly felt my temper start to rise.

“It was before I met you. Do you really think I would do something like that-”  

“And you let me purpose to you?” He interrupted in a rage. “What was our relationship some kind of game to you?”

“No!” I shouted. “That’s the reason I came here in the-”

“I don’t care why you went. You lied to me and that’s all I can think about right now.” He said a little calmer.

“No. I didn’t tell you. There is a difference. I was going to end things and come back home.”

“Well.” He chuckled in a non humorous way. “I guess you were right. We are done here….goodbye Peyton.  “

The beep that came from my phone was confirmation that he had indeed ended the call. He meant it; very word of it. We were over. And it hurt more than I thought it would.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author

I know it’s another short and delayed chapter but I didn’t get my other book finished in May like I wanted to and am currently still working on it. However, my statement in the last chapter still stands. Once it’s finished I promise to update much more on this story. Just give me more time. Sorry to disappoint anyone.

Please-

Comment…Vote…..Follow!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 36.2K 61
WATTYS WINNER When her fiancé ends up in a coma and his secret mistress, Halley, shows up, Mary feels like her world is falling apart. What she does...