The Anatomy of Our Almosts

By MVRastro

Sa hindi inaasahan ba mahahanap ang sagot sa mga katanungan? Aasa? Maniniwala? Walang galawan? Maghihintay? More

More than Smiles and Coffee
Almost 1. University of the Philippines
There She Goes Again
Almost 2. Juliet and Juliet
Cigarette Butts and Train Stations
Almost 3. Drizzles and Hurricanes
Almost 4. Narratives and Adjectives
Almost 5. Maturity and Commitments
Almost 6. White lies and Sojourn
Best Friends and Flowers
Almost 7. When We Talk Like Men
We Begin Again
The Antecedent of Nearly Everything
Puppetry and Breaking Free
A Taste of Freedom and Serenity
To Nirvana and Back
Behind Close Doors and Dummying
The Unwanted Side of a Triangle
No Holds Barred
Their Bucket List
The Life We'll Share
My Lone Star Song, Amazed
The Birth of Jade and Althea
In a State of Temporary Bliss
All's Well that Ends Well
In the Twinkling of an Eye
Blessed of a Life with Denise
BC: Parenting Goals

Perfectly Fitted Puzzle Pieces

8K 284 34
By MVRastro

I am never particularly proud of anything that I was able to accomplish with the years I spent in the entertainment industry. Even with countless awards and recognition for a gold, diamond and double platinum records for three of my albums. Because I know in the eyes of my mother, I am still the black sheep who let Yale go for a stint in showbiz.

All cards on the table, I had established a good name and reputation in the business for seven years, I paved, toiled and gave everything I can to stay in the scene, not only for my passion, art and craft, not only because there's a good number of people I was able to inspire, but also because I was yearning for my mother's approval. It has always been a my subtle dream for her to watch any of my shows in person, but the only show she watched without much persuasion from me and my dad was my birthday concert back in my 5th year in the industry.

So the hug we shared last night was the greatest accomplishment I was able to acquire. At long last, at least even without words, without explanations and persuasions, there was an action. A simple and salient act that she has finally accepted my series of wrong decisions and failures as a model daughter.

Finally I was only a daughter in my mother's arms.

"Nay?" I called out to her, it's only six in the morning, dad is still sleeping in the guest room, while me and my mom was having coffee by the veranda.

"Cha. Bakit?" She asked looking far to the skyline of my 21st floor unit.

"Did I just earn acceptance?" I directly asked, ngayon ko lang nagawang itanong sa kanya ito mula kagabi.

"Alam kong pagod ka ng magpaliwanag, at mamilit kung sino at ano ka talaga Cha, ako lang tong hindi pa din makapaniwala at ayaw maniwala na sadyang tumatanda ka na at alam mo na kung anong makakabuti at hindi para sayo."

"I'm sorry nay, pero ganito talaga ako." I sighed

"Sorry din Cha, sa lahat ng nagawa namin ng ate mo. Hindi lang sayo pero pati kay Rhian, ang toto niyan nung nalaman kong bumalik si Rhian ng dahil sayo, bigla akong nahiya sa sarili ko, all this time tinuturuan kita kung ano ang tamang pagmamahal, pero nakalimutan kong hindi pala naituturo yun ng salita. Sana mapagbigyan pa natin ang ating mga sariling makabawi sa isa't isa."

"Oo nay, Salamat. Feeling ko ngayon, mas magiging okay na yung lahat ng bagay sa buhay ko. Parang lahat perfect fit na." I can't help but tear up again, it felt surreal, to hear my mom talking to me like this, tender and motherly. Away from the tyrant and commanding tone she's long used with our conversations in the past.

"One thing, I want from you."

"Anything."

"Take Rhian to the house, introduce her to all of us." She said nonchalantly before breaking into a small smile, and I was only able to nod in response not trusting my own voice.

That morning I hugged my mother again, and it felt even better than the night before.

+++

I was never a fan of board games, but Glaiza has a thing for puzzles back when we're in college. She loves putting them together, but she would always lose a piece, that'll berserk her while Chynna, Sheena and me shook our heads and laugh.

It was the way she didn't basically finish any puzzle set she bought, and yet she tried so hard to do so. She would always try and fit them together, no matter how difficult it can be. It's one of the many things that sets her apart from any other person I know. She's not the easily intimidated, she's not the easily shaken, because once she set her mind on a goal she's going to do whatever it takes to achieve it.

But like the puzzles she failed to finish, Glaiza has this certain missing piece she couldn't find, or more likely she couldn't fit. It was the acceptance from her mother. The acceptance that what we've been through wasn't a phase, the acceptance that what we were back then wasn't something to be resented, because love is love no matter how we guard it or restrain it. It will find way. And if I can have just one more wish, if having Glaiza back isn't too much, it's for Glaiza and her mom to finally be in good terms.

"Hey love." I greeted as soon as she got out of her car, she's carrying two bouquets of flowers and two huge boxes of macarons, I smiled because she didn't forget my dad's favorite sweets.

"Hi baby R." She happily greeted

"Something's weird." I frowned as I kissed her

"What's weird?" she frowned back

"Hindi mo naman ako kasama kagabe pero yung ngiti mo para kang nakadali." I teased, she laughed

"Alam mo grabe, grabe ka talaga. Masamang maging masaya na makita ka?" She shook her head

"Para sayo nga pala, I know hindi ka mahilig sa flowers dati, pero sakin naman galing so here make an exception please?" She reasoned out

"I love it na nga agad eh. Parang ikaw lang, I love you."

"Nako ayan ka nanaman sa mga padali mo eh. Pero I love you too. Tara na sa loob baka magtaka sila. Kinakabahan ako." She worried

"Ayos lang yan, tayong apat lang nila dad ang andito, chill."

"Oh, asan sila Nads at Ed?" she asked as we walked to the front door.

"Family day sa school ni Nate eh."

"Glaiza!" Mom beamed as soon as Glaiza reached the top step of the porch, they immediately hugged each other.

"Hi Tita. Flowers po." Glaiza greeted, offering mom the bigger bouquet.

"Wow, thank you iha. Halika na sa loob, naghihintay na ang Tito Garrett mo." Mom said as she pulled Glaiza away from me, she was in panic but I just nodded at her encourangingly.

+++

"Garrett, Glaiza's here." Tita Clara called out to Mr. Howell who's standing by the open extension of the living room, his back facing us. But he instantly reacted to his wife's voice and turned with a smile.

"Hi Good morning Mr. Howell. Nice to finally meet you." I greeted trying hard not to bow down as I did.

"So you are Glaiza? Hi, good morning." He greeted back as he reached for my hand.

"Yes S-Sir." I stuttered, and then someone clutched my left hand. Rhian.

"Dad, She's Glaiza, my girlfriend." Rhian stated confidently

"I know baby, I didn't say otherwise did I?" Mr. Howell laughed, like the way Rhian does all the time.

"I'm glad you're here today Glaiza. Come on let's have lunch." Mr. Howell added, he then escorted Tita Clara smilingly as they lead us to the dining room.

"By the way Glaiza, you can call me dad, Now that you two are together again, I know my dear daughter wouldn't let you go until you marry her, so might as well right Rhian?" Mr. Howell teased.

"Dad." Rhian hissed in embarrasment.

"You know what? Rhirhi has told me a good number of stories about you when she used to visit me in Australia, it's almost defeaning." Mr. Howell recounted as we settled by the table, and I can't help but smile.

"Dad." Rhian grunted, and Mr. Howell just laughed again.

"Okay okay. Enough with the beans spilling." He said raising both his hands up. Tita Clara was just shaking her head at her husband in amusement.

Things were easier at lunch, I learned that Mr. Howell is only staying for a few days here while he check on the newly opened brewery in San Pedro, which he and Tita Clara will visit later after our lunch.

I was also revered by the fact that he really did know everything about Rhian and me in the past, he was even able to catch all the jokes and anecdotes about us that even I had already forgotten. We had a great lunch, it felt like I've known him for the longest time, because he remembers everything Rhian told him about me, it revered me of the fact that Rhian really is lucky to have both her mom and dad, although they didn't have the perfect relationship before according to Rhian, their love for their children is truly admirable.

"Glaiza may I have a word with you in private?" Mr. Howell said, they were already set to leave for the brewery, Tita Clara said that she'll just wait in the car, while Rhian was still a little too stubborn and protested but surrendered to her dad, she ended up in the living room, while we're in the garden.

"Yes sir." I turned as we settle by the shade

"I told you to call me dad." He chuckled

"I'm sorry - - dad." I shyly apologized

"It's okay Glaiza, I know you'll get used to it. You know Glaiza if there is someone I want my daughter to end up with, I'd like that person to be you. I saw how my daughter changed after what happened to you two. I saw how she broke her heart and I know you are equally damned that time as well. All I'm trying to say Glaiza is, please take care her, she'd gone through enough, and it honestly surprised me that she still wants you after all, don't get me wrong, we all know pain changes people right?" Mr. Howell explained and I knew exactly where he was coming from, but I was just able to nod.

"I hope your family would find it in their heart to accept her too, like how we welcome you in our home once again Glaiza, because I can't bear to see her hurting ever again. Can I count on you on that?" Mr. Howell said facing me.

"I'm really sorry for everything that's happened in the past sir - - I mean dad, but this time I promise you with all my heart, I will take care of her, and give her everything that she deserves right from the start. I was also going to tell her about this later, but I think you should know first that, my family would want her to visit anytime she wanted, they had finally accepted me and are ready to accept Rhian, that I'm sure." I promised with all my heart and utmost sincerity, and Mr. Howell broke into a huge smile.

"Very well, we got nothing to worry about then?" He exclaimed tapping my shoulder.

"Perfectly fitted like puzzle pieces." I nodded imperviously.

"It was nice meeting you Glaiza, I look forward to seeing you again."

"It was nice meeting you too dad, and thank you for giving me another chance."

"For Rhian." He smiled as he nodded that we should get inside again.

+++

"Anong sabi ni dad?" Rhian asked as soon as her parent's car pulled out of the garage.

"Ikaw ang nosy mo." I teased as we walked back to the living room.

"Ahh maglilihim ka na sakin ganon? Kasi close na kayo ni dad?" she pouted as she settled on the sofa, hugging her legs, I sat down beside her and did the same thing so we're facing each other.

"Sabi niya, alagaan daw kita, at wag na wag ng sasaktan. Kasi ipapatapon niya daw ako sa alcatraz pag nagkataon." I joked

"Baliw! Ano ka notorious drug dealer or mass murderer? Baka sa Dapitan pwede pa." She joked back.

"Pero seryoso, nagaalala lang siya na baka may gawin nanaman yung family ko sayo."

"Pareho kami ng inaalala."Rhian confessed

"Halika nga dito." I said, pulling her into me so she's sitting on my lap.

"Wow and comfortable naman dito, daig pa sofa." She giggled

"Ayos ba?" I chuckled, we look like idiots, she's facing me actually so, she's seated on my crossed legs.

"Pero seryoso mahal ko, paano si Nanay C at ate C. natrauma ata ako nung last time na nagkita kami." She pouted, and I felt guilty.

"Don't worry mahal ko. Okay na kay nanay." I said spilling the surprise.

"What do you mean?"

"Ganito kasi, kagabe paguwi ko andun sila ni dad sa unit ko, inaantay ako..."

"Oh bakit hindi naman nagpasabi? Nagpahatid pa tuloy ako sayo."

"Ayun nga din yung tanong ko, sabi naman ni tatay gusto lang daw akong isurprise ni nanay. Nagtaka din ako kung anong surprise, tapos nung tinanong ko naman si nanay, wala siyang ibang ginawa kundi yakapin ako." I recounted still with amazement.

"Oh?"

"Yeah, sobrang na stuck up ako, pero syempre si nanay na yung yumakap sakin, kaya ibinalik ko yung pagkakayakap niya sakin. Tapos kaninang umaga, doon ko lang siya natanong kung ibig sabihin ba nun eh tinatanggap na niya ako at tayo. Sabi niya oo daw, nung binalikan mo daw ako para ipaglaban parang dun niya daw naisip na tama na, na siguro nga ikaw na yung para sakin." I explained, Rhian was clearly flushed.

"Uy! Kinikilig ang mahal ko!" I teased as I started tickling her.

"Aww! Mahal! Wag nakikiliti ako! Ano ba!" She violently reacted, that I had to stop and hug her or she'll topple as both off the couch.

"Ang cute mo naman. Pero may isang kondisyon si nanay."

"Ano daw?"

"Dadalhin daw kita sa bahay. Okay lang ba sayo? Kung natatakot ka pa, pwede ko namang sabihing saka nalang." I said, tenderly as I soothe her back.

"Ano ka ba, si Nanay C na yung nagsabing dalhin mo ako dun aayaw pa ba ako? Hindi naman siguro nila ako idadarang sa apoy o papakuluan sa kawa diba?" she joked

"Ikaw talagang bata ka!" I laughed

"Pero seryoso, okay lang love, at least diba? Ayos na ayos na lahat!"

"Oo nga eh, of all puzzle pieces I failed to complete, eto na yung mothership tapos eto pa yung nakumpleto ko na. Ang gaan sa feeling."

"Natupad na yung wish ko." Rhian said lovingly as she fix my hair

"Anong wish mo binibini?" I smiled, playfully pinching both her cheeks.

"Na sana maging okay na kayo ni nanay C. As in okay sa lahat, sa preference mo, sa relasyon natin. Natupad na yung wish ko na yun." She smiled.

"Narindi na siguro satin love." I laughed and she did too

"Oo nga, ayaw daw natin paawat eh." She agreed.

"Paano ba yan - -" I started but phone suddenly rang, it was Cess.

"Hello Cess?" I answered the phone with Rhian still on my lap.

"Hey G, do you have internet access? Check out twitter, instagram and youtube, viral na love wins mo." Cess happily explained on the other line

"Seryoso ka ba?!" I exclaimed

"Oo, I just want to tell you, congrats."

"Wow, thank you Cess, and congrats din dahil kung hindi dahil sa inyo hindi masasakatuparan yung idea ko."

"Ikaw pa ba. Sige na nagwawala na fans mo. They're tweeting GMA about everything about the love wins, trending topic na nga din siya eh."

"All right, labas tayo later dahil jan, I'll tell Chynna and the other."

"Okay Glai, text mo nalang ako kung saan and what time?"

"Sure, bye Cess, salamat ulit."

"Sure. Bye Glai."

"Ano daw?" Rhian asked as soon as I put the phone on the sofa

"Check daw natin ang twitter, instagram at youtube. Viral na daw yung love wins."

"Talaga!? Wow Baby G!" Rhian exclaimed as she pulled me into an embrace.

"Great things really happened to those who fight for them huh?" Rhian said still nestled on the crook of my neck

"Great things indeed." I sighed, feeling lighhearted about everything that's happened since Rhian came back.

"Thank you Rhi." I uttered she pulled away from the hug and faced me with a frown

"For what?"

"For coming back to me, for showing me the light. Ready na kasi akong tumandang dalaga, kasi wala naman din akong ibang makuhang mahalin, pero bumalik ka. And you proved me that we are connected kahit anong gawin natin, hindi nabago yun. And all of the great things happened kasi bumalik ka. Kasi hindi ka natakot bumalik, kahit na galit galitan pa ako sayo nung una." I explained as I marvelled on her beautiful face.

"Right from the start G, I know leaving you behind would be the greatest mistake I am ever going to do with my life, pero siguro kung hindi ko nagawa yun dati, hindi tayo mas magiging stronger and wiser ngayon. We were both young and a long life was ahead of us, hindi natin magagawa yung mga ganitong mature decisions that time, so maybe just maybe, running away from each other was the only rightful thing to do, hindi man siya masyadong kaayaaya, at least now we can stand on our own feet, ng hindi natatakot, ng hinid nakadepende sa ibang tao., kundi sa isa't isa lang." She explained with fervor and sincerity.

"Tama, ikaw naman ang tama ngayon. I was just so thankful na dumating na yung tamang time for us. Alam mo yung naiisip ko ngayon?"

"Ano?"

"Gusto kong mag Sagada." I nodded and she smiled.

"Yun lang pala eh! Kelan mo gusto? Sino isasama natin?"

"Next week kaya? Ikaw sinong gusto mong isama? Ako si Chynna."

"Si Sheena nalang, like the old time, I know Bianca can't make it naman kasi SKK is weekdays eh."

"Sige let's tell them later. Speaking of later, I told Cess na magcelebrate tayo sa succes ng love wins. I'll message them muna." I said taking my phone.

"Wow." I wowed literally as I looked at it.

"Bakit love?" Rhian asked and I showed her why.

"Wow. Paanong ganyan karami love? Kagabe lang yung pinost diba?"

"Hindi ko nga din alam eh."

"Bakit may #RaStro?" Rhian asked as she clicked on the hashtag.

"I don't know." I answered, cause I really don't know.

"Oh my god, love. Surnames pala natin yun pinagsama ng fans mo. Tignan mo, Ra for my Ramos, tapos Stro for your Castro. Yung screen names pala natin yung ginamit ni Cess." Rhian laughed

"Seryoso?" I wondered looking on the tweet.

"Eto pa, tignan mo ang sabi nila, love team na daw tayo ng taon." Rhian laughed and so did I

"Ano ba itong nagawa natin love?" I laughed seeing the number tweets on the hashtags and the support from the LGBT community.

"All great things diba? Eto na yun love lahat na ng great things."

"Oo nga. Surreal."

"Hindi love. Real kaya, real na real parang nesfruta?" Rhian joked

"Nako ikaw." I seized her head between my hands and pulled her for a kiss, she instantly responded to.

+++

"Ang love team ng taon!" Chynna shamelessly beamed as Rhian and I walked towards the 70s Bistro, of course hand in hand

"Thank you thank you!" Rhian played along, while raising her free hand, I just shook my head and laugh, sobrang magkasundo talaga sila ni Chynna sa kalokohan.

"Kamusta naman tayo?" I asked as we sat down by the seats they saved for us.

"Eto chill."

"Asan si Katrina?" I asked, seeing Cess, Emman, Chynna and Sheena only.

"Busy sa anak eh." Sheena casually said

"Ahh okay. So drinks on me?" I offered

"Wow! Ayan naman ang gusto ko sayo Galura! Ilabas na ang inumin at pulutan!" Chynna cheered

"Kaya nga magse-celebrate eh." I said as I stood up.

"Nga pala Chynns, samahan mo ko magorder." I said with 'sumama ka na wag ang makulit look' and she instantly nodded at once and stood up to follow me.

"Yep ano yun?" She knowinly asked

"Sagada-Kalingga tayo. Tayong apat nila Sheena next week whole week?"

"Oh biglaan ata?"

"Napagkatuwaan lang namin ni Rhi. Di ka ba pwede?" I asked as I look at the menu

"Okay ako syempre, gala yun eh, si Sheena di ko sure, pag hindi pwede si Sheena, di na ako sasama, para makapagsolo kayo. Wala pa kasal honeymoon na agad diba?" Chynna teased as usual.

"Ikaw napaka dumi ng utak mo." I shook my head

"Aayaw ka pa ba kung katabi mo na? Wag ako Glaiza, di na tayo mga bata. Kaya kung ako sayo kayong dalawa nalang. Itakas mo!" Chynna cheered with a tap on my back.

"Sige na nga, first get away naman namin since nakabalik siya eh. Might as well right?"

"Definitely! I know mas matutuwa yun na kayong dalawa lang." Chynna winked

"Yan yung gusto ko sayo eh, napaka supportive mo." I nudge her lightly

"Ikaw pa ba? Para sa ikaliligaya mo!" she laughed and nudge me back.

"Tanggap na din pala kami ni nanay." I finally said, she deliberately froze and gave me the 'tang*na wag kang magjoke ng ganyan' look.

"Hindi ako nagjojoke seryoso ako."

"Kelan? Saan? Sa paanong paraan?"

"Kagabe, paguwi ko galing shoot natin, naabutan ko sila sa labas ng Condo ko, silang dalawa ni tatay, tapos ayun nagkausap at nagkapatawaran." I casually said

"Wow, sa wakas! Diyos ko pong mahabagin! Dininig niyo din po ang matagal ng hiling na kaibigan ko!" She over-acted with both hands up.

"Parang biglang gusto kong mag-alay sa simabahan Glai."

"Ang OA mo!"

"Aba! Hindi basta basta ang pagkaka unlock mo sa achievement na yan! Tara na at iinom na natin!" She pulled me as the waiter followed us to our table carrying our orders.

It was around ten in the evening when we decided to go home and rest. We're already driving to Alabang, when I remembered what Chynna suggested.

"Love?" I called out to Rhian, who's still pretty amused of the non-stop tweets

"Hmm?" she hummed looking at me shortly before reverting her eyes on my phone.

"Chynna wouldn't be available for next week, said she still have gigs with Eunice and Kean on the line up." I reasoned out, which is true.

"Aww, then I guess we'll have to push even with just the two of us? Much more exciting."

"What about Sheena?" I asked

"I asked her while you guys are on the counter, said she's having a holiday with her family, because her younger brother's leaving to work abroad by the end of the month." Rhian explained.

"Oh, okay. Then it you and me and the wild then?"

"Ahuh. It's you and me alone, in the hotel room and - -"

"Oh baby, don't start with me please." I laughed

"What?! I'm not!" she defensed

"Kilala kita Howell." I smirked

"Kilala din kita no. Sus ayaw mo pa?" she challenged

"May sinabi ba ako?" I giggled

"Tignan mo to, may tinatago din namang landi, ay nako Cha." She rolled her eyes at me

"I love you." I sighed

"I love you too." She answered kissing the back of my hand she's holding.

Like everything in our life right at this moment, our hands, like the first time we held, perfectly fitted like puzzle pieces. And it doesn't matter if I had never finished any nature puzzle pieces in the past anymore. At least I get to fit the pieces in the puzzle of my own life. I finally got it all figured out, with Rhian by my side and our families on our backs.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 97 8
May isang babaeng di matanggap ang kanyang pagkatao sapagkat pag gising nya nalang ng isang umaga ay mabibigla nalang sya kasi mahal nya na pala ang...
8.4K 652 19
My best friend, Chynna always said that a beautiful woman was going to be the death of me. I always thought she was full of shit... because how can a...
7.1K 150 15
CHAPTER 3 Continuation of CHAPTER 2 - Ang Clingy Kung Fiancée [EngLot] Engfa Waraha and Charlotte Austin Inspired 🤍 HAPPY LOVELIFE NG ENGLOT... ** F...
158K 6.7K 53
Rhian Denise "Yoyon" Howell And Glaiza "Cha" Galura Naranasan mo na bang mainlove sa bestfriend mo? Ipaglalaban mo ba ito kung sa pakiramdam mo ay...