Incoming: A Second Chance

By jaddy245

Emma Swade was in her 3rd year of college, had always done well in school, and was dating the most amazing gu... More

Incoming: A Second Chance
January (3 months earlier): Too Long
January: Noticed
February: Hello Again
February: Date Night
February: 40 Questions
March: What if?
March: Aftermath
March: What Just happened?!
April: Masquerade
April: Little Secret
April: Escape
April: Depressed
May: Love
May: Proposed Graduation
June: Life Moves Forward
July: Making Moves

January: Game On

488 16 2
By jaddy245

As I sat in my Professional Practice class, I thought about how in the past two weeks, life has continued to surprise me. Derek and I had practically talked every night about anything and everything. We didn’t always agree but when it came down to it, we always had an understanding and respected, even joked, about the others opinion.  I’ve actually found myself wanting to know his thoughts on all sorts of topics, and loved to pick his brain.  It gave me insight to his world and his way of thinking.  Derek grew up differently than me; even though our parents were best friends, it turns out they were as different as water and oil.  He shared with me his life after they moved to Florida, growing up in a new state and city, his high school relationships, and even his high school troubles consisting of fights, drugs, and boot camp. Apparently, boot camp changed his life around, and he found himself enrolling in the army right after. His parents were laid back, more like his friends compared to mine. 

I, on the other hand, was very sheltered; my strict parents made it hard for me to ever be in any real trouble.  I never really dated before Ethan, always made the grades, and was born and raised in the same city all my life.  My life was basically by the book.

Whenever Derek would describe his life growing up, I thought of it as an adventure, something exciting.  He, however, wished to have parents that acted more like parents rather than his friends.  I hated when he would bring the conversation back on my life, because quite frankly I thought my life was a bore compared to his. However, Derek didn’t see it that way and somehow found my life interesting to say the least.  This always puzzled me, but he found comfort in my words and wished we had reunited years ago, and then maybe his life wouldn’t be what it is today.

I feel someone sit down next to me, and I am suddenly brought back to reality.  I look up to see Sarah taking her seat beside me, and gave her a welcoming smile.  She returned it, and looked to the front of the classroom where the professor stood holding our manuscripts.  Today was the day we received our partners, in which we would be stuck with for the rest of the semester.  I zoned out, looking around the room thinking of who my partner would be, and secretly hoping it wasn’t Sarah.  I don’t know what it is with her lately, but she has been giving me a weird vibe.  There was something she was hiding from me, I could feel it. 

While the professor started to call out our partner names, I glanced over at Sarah, looking at her, and trying again to figure out what she wasn’t telling me. She continued to look ahead, making sure not to make any eye contact with me as the professor continued calling names.

“Swade,” the professor called, grabbing my attention. I felt nervous, and kept thinking ‘Please don’t be Sarah.’

“And Stratford.” Relief washed over me as I realized it wasn’t Sarah. I looked around the room, the name sounded familiar but I couldn’t place my finger on it, until my eyes met another.  His dark brown eyes glared back at me, Brent’s eyes.  He rolled his eyes, and slumped back in his chair and muttered something to John, who was sitting next to him.  John looked my way and gave me a small knowing smirk before turning his attention back to the front of the class as the professor called his name, “Wilson.”

I was so worried about Sarah being my partner, I didn't think about the possibility of Brent. Plus, partners were supposed to be based on some type on commonality. No doubt his manuscript would be about sports, what was the professor thinking.  

 “And Prado,” I looked up as Sarah’s name was called.  She wore a smile on her face; she was actually enjoying this. Sarah was just partnered with John, which made me a little jealous. Why should I have to suffer with a crappy partner, who will gladly point out anything he sees unfit and question everything I say, while she practically get a free pass with the easy going, too nice to be actually critical John.

At the end of class, John walked up to where Sarah and I were; smiling he playfully placed his arm around my shoulders and muttered, "This should be interesting." I looked up at him and just wanted to wipe that smile right off his face. He must have noticed my annoyed look, and said, "Cheer up, who knows, you two might actually get along."  

"Not likely." I said while looking over John's shoulder at the now empty seat where Brent was. This was going to be a rough semester.  

John removed his arm from my shoulders and turned to Sarah, "Tonight's the game, but do you want to meet up tomorrow to go over the manuscripts?"  

"Yup, that would be perfect," she replied still smiling.

Just as John said that, I remembered the big rival game was tonight.  Ethan was probably already there practicing and getting ready.  I felt like a bad girlfriend as the thought of the game almost slipped my mind. Ethan and the team had been practicing like crazy these past few days, and tonight was the moment of truth. I hadn't seen or heard from Ethan since our Western Art History class this morning, and I was looking forward to seeing him play. It’s been hard spending any real qualify time together lately, with classes, papers, work, and his basketball schedule.  On the other hand, he did promise me once this game was over, he would make it up to me, and the thought of that made me smile.  

I was brought out of my thoughts when I heard John call my name, “Emma, I have to head out.  I’ll see you at the game.”

“Yup, I’ll see you there. Good luck!”

He quickly said goodbye to me and Sarah, and practically ran out of the room.  Sarah not saying another word gathered her things and followed suit.

As I walked into the gym, I spotted Kathy waiving at me. She was seated with Sarah and Kelly on the bleachers.  

I took my seat by them and looked out to the floor where the cheerleaders were, trying to ignore the awkward silence from the girls next to me. Then finally, out of all people, Sarah spoke up and asked me, "Did you catch up with Brent?"  

I turned to her, but her eyes were still on the cheerleaders.  "No, I figured I'll see him later at the dorms," I responded and noticed Kathy give me a questioning look. "We were partnered up in Professional Practice for a project," I answered her unspoken question.  

"You and Brent?" She said with sarcasm in her voice.  

"Yup," I said popping the ‘p’ at the end.  

 "I spoke to him right before he went back to change, and he didn't mention anything." Her eyes creased as if the thought bothered her.  

 "He's probably as excited about it as I am," I shot back trying not to sound annoyed, and ease her mind.  

I looked back at the floor as the game was about to start. One by one each of the players were introduced, and the fans watching would yell as their favorite player’s name was called. I wait and once I hear "Ethan Ross", cheers erupted from not only our section, but most of the gym as well.  Butterflies began to do loops in my stomach at the sight of him. Once every player was announced, and they were getting ready to go in, my eyes found his. He smiled up at me and winked before turning around and running in to meet his teammates on the court. My cheeks were no doubt red, this happened at every game, and every game Kathy would elbow me to poke fun of me. But this time, there was no poke. Instead Kathy was glaring at Brent with what looked like anger in her eyes.  

"Is everything okay?" I asked.  

"Oh, you know the usual, Brent being an ass," she said never taking her eyes off him. If her eyes could throw fire, not only would Brent be a goner, but so would the whole building.  I just nodded and turned back to the game as I heard her continue about what seemed to be the same fight but different day.   

"He's so freakin possessive and thinks every guy I'm friends with is out to sleep with me. Ugh. He's just being hypocritical. I don't sit around and tell him who he can and can't be friends with!”  

“He should trust you, you’ve never given him a reason to doubt you,” I put my two sense in. Brent was definitely controlling and possessive when it came to Kathy, which is one of the many reasons we fought.  

Just then, the unexpected happen. Sarah casually joined in the conversation with her eyes still on the court, “But, maybe it’s not her he doesn’t trust, maybe it’s the guy.”  

Kathy and I both looked at her as if she had three heads.  We were shocked she actually responded like it was a normal thing, as if we were all the best of friends, and nothing had changed.  

I was taken back for a second, “He should still trust her to use her better judgment in any situation,” I said.  

Suddenly, she looked up at me, “Everything isn’t always as black and white as you want it to be, Emma.”  

I just stared at Sarah wanting her to continue.  Is there something she wanted to tell me, or am I just looking into this too much.  Feeling the awkward tension once again beginning to form, Kathy spoke up, “Guys can be such jerks, right Kelly?”  

Kathy shot Kelly a look asking her to help defuse the tension. Kelly quickly picked up on it, “Tell me about it.  One minute, Darryl and I are fighting and I’m sure we are going to break up, then next thing I know he’s back at my door.”  

“That’s called a bootie call Kelly,” Sarah said rolling her eyes and looking back at the game.  

“Even so, I don’t mind one bit,” she said as her lips slowly formed a smile.  With this Kathy and I both laughed.  Kelly and Darryl were known for their breakups and makeups.  This I never quite understood, but it seemed to work for them.    

By the end of the game, not much more was said between us.  We cheered for our guys, as the clock counted down the last few seconds of the tied game.  Just as the buzzer was about to go off, sending us into overtime, Ethan, who had two players on him, managed to get the ball to Liam. Liam, without a second thought, turned and shot the ball from the three point line.  As the ball went into the net, everyone jumped up and was screaming at the top of their lungs.  Many of the fans ran out onto court to join in on the circle of players now huddled together around Liam, jumping up and down in victory.  This was one of those exciting moments that gave me goose bumps; this was why Ethan loved this game.

We all ran out to the court to find our guys who were most likely still in the middle of that huddle.  Through all the madness, I managed to find Ethan and threw my arms around him pulling him closer.  Without hesitating, he lifted me up and brought his lips to mine, sending my heart into overdrive. Our kiss, which started off soft and innocent, started to deepen as we both realized how much we’ve missed each other these past few days.  My heart was seriously in frenzy, and I didn’t know how much more of this it could take.  I forgot about everyone else on court, and as if Ethan could read my mind, his kiss started to slow and his lips formed a smile against mine.  Keeping his forehead on mine, he parted our lips and whispered, “We’ll definitely continue this later.”

Blushing, I planted a quick kiss on the tip of his nose, “Definitely!”  

Just then, Liam, Chris, and John, came over still jumping up and down with excitement.  Patting Ethan on the shoulder, Liam yelled over all the screaming that was still going on, “We’re going out to celebrate, you in?”  

Ethan, still holding onto me, looked like he was torn.  I could tell he wanted to go with the guys to celebrate, but at the same time, he was still holding on to me like he didn’t want to let go.  I decided to end his inner turmoil, “Go ahead babe.  Have fun, you deserve it.  I have some work I need to get done for tomorrow anyway.”  

As if he was disappointed by my words, his smile faltered. “Just don’t stay out to late, I believe we have some making up to do,” I quickly added winking at him.  

His dimpled smile was instantly back, “Deal!”  

As the guys started to discuss where they were going, I started to scan the room for Kathy; but she was nowhere in sight.  Come to think of it, Brent wasn’t here either, and he always went out with the guys to celebrate.   

I decided to head back to the dorms to get some work done before Ethan returned.  Maybe Brent and Kathy would be there, in which case I’ll leave them alone to work things out.  

When I got back to the room, I found it empty, so I decided to get a head start on my Professional Practice project.  I quickly glanced at the notes the professor made on my manuscript, and started to pan them out.  No doubt this is where Brent will start, so I might as well get a step ahead of him. One of the notes I noticed read, ‘Market your writing style, and build up a client base across different media organizations.’  This got me questioning again what Brent’s manuscript could be about to get us partnered up.  I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow to find out when we get the chance to switch.

Just then, my cell phone began to ring.  As Linkin Park’s ‘Leave Out All the Rest’ played, I smiled and read ‘Incoming: Derek’ on the screen.  This was one song, we both actually agreed on.  I loved this song, and I had come to find out it held a place in his heart.  Right before he was deployed last year, it reminded him of his son. He had feared if something were to happen to him overseas, he wanted his son to be proud of him, and not focus on the bad he had done, but the good.  So, now this was my ring tone for Derek. 

“Why, hello Sergeant,” I answered with a touch of sarcasm in my voice.

“Hey Em, are you busy?  I need your advice.”

Derek had opened up to me in the past two weeks. He has a son that he loves more than anything, and never seems to commit to anyone but his son, Riley.  For example, in the past 2 weeks, he has made out with 2 different girls other than Sasha.  He was definitely comfortable talking to me about anything and everything, like the 10 years of us not talking never existed.

“Yes, Derek, even though you haven’t gone all the way with slut 1 and 2, it is still cheating on Sasha,” I replied picking up our conversation from last night.

“What? No, I broke up with Sasha this morning. Lilly, on the other hand, has been calling me non-stop, and I want her to go away.  She really isn’t getting the hint.”

I started laughing.  I told him this would happen, “Is Lilly, slut 1 or 2?”

He started laughing too, “2, and I love how you think this is amusing.  I might have a stalker on my hands and you are laughing.”

As I caught my breath, “Did you flat out tell her you weren’t interested?”

“I did, but she keeps drunk calling me,” he started to laugh again as I heard his phone ring in the back ground. “It’s her again,” he shouted into my ear.

“I’m right hear Derek, no need to shout.  Just put us both on speaker phone, so we can hear each other.”

He was quiet as he walked over to the phone and asked me, “Ok, Ready?”

I can still hear the phone ringing, “Yes, go ahead and answer it.”

I could hear the sound of uncertainty in his voice, since he wasn’t sure what was about to go down. “Hello.”

“Derek, b-baby. It’s me.  I miss you.”  By the sound of her voice, she was definitely under the influence.

Derek hesitated, so I decided to take control of the conversation.  “Look, I don’t know who you are, but leave my boyfriend alone,” I spat out loud enough for her to hear me.

“W-What the hell? W-Who’s that?” Slut #2 asked obviously confused.  Wow, she truly believed she was the only girl in Derek’s life. Pathetic.

“This is the girl screwing the brains out of Derek, on a nightly basis. So I suggest you run along and find someone else to desperately throw yourself at, because frankly it’s pathetic,” as I said those words, I could hear Derek trying not to laugh.

“And one more thing, don’t call again!” as I said those word, I could hear Derek hang up on her.

He couldn’t help but laugh even louder now, “What the hell was that,” he said between laughs.

“That, my dear, was me solving your problem.  Now, say thank you, and you’re the best Em,” I told him.  At this point I was laughing too; when Derek laughed it was contagious.

“Thanks weirdo. You truly are the best,” he said.  “Let me go, I think you woke up Riley with your impure words,” he said still laughing.

“Ok, give him a kiss for me,” I quickly said.

“Will do. Goodnight Em.  Thanks again.”

“No problem, that’s what I’m here for,” I added as we said our goodbyes.

I jumped in the shower, brushed my teeth and started to doze off waiting for Ethan to get back, but he never made an appearance. Instead, I was awakened by shouting.  The shouting came from the hallway, “I hate you”, was all I heard and immediately recognized the voice.  It was Kathy, and she was crying.  I shot up from my bed and ran to the door.

Looking down the hall, I could see her at the end of the hall, screaming down the flight of stairs, to someone at the bottom, who surely was Brent.  I watched her remove her jacket and throw it down the stairs, screaming things like, “I hate you,” “ Leave me alone,” and “I can’t stand you,” over and over again at the top of her lungs.  People on our floor, started coming out of their rooms to see what all the commotion was about.

He in return kept yelling, “Whatever,” and “Go to sleep,” over and over again in a voice just as loud, if not louder, than hers.

I ran down the hall, hoping to diffuse the scene before the RA came out or even worse, security was called, which had been the case once before. 

As I reached her, I tried to keep a low voice, “Hey, Hey, come on lets’ just go,” I kept saying, just trying to get her to follow me back to the room.

But as Brent continued to yell, so did she; ignoring my attempts to calm her down. I could feel my anger starting to build within me. I glared down at Brent, and yelled, “Just go home Brent! Leave her alone!”

He shot me a dirty look, and I could almost see the defeated expression in his face.  Obviously, this had gotten way out of hand, but both were too stubborn and refused to back down.  I needed to stay calm, if I were going to settle them down.

“Brent, please, just go! Before someone calls security,” I pleaded with him.

As if he knew I was right, he threw his hands up in defeat, and yelled one last, “Whatever, Fuck!”  Turning to leave, he kicked the trash can by the exit doors, sending it flying, and pushed the exit doors so hard, I thought they would come off the hinges. 

Kathy turned to me crying and I instantly put my arms around her, hugging her tight.  With my arms still around her, I guided her back to our room.  This was going to be a long night.

=======================================================

Please Comment, Vote, Fan!

This is my first story, and I would love to know what you guys think :)

And don't worry, there is a lot in store for each of these characters.

Continue Reading