The Unusual Ways of Erwin Gre...

By erinedipity

Bring her flowers, spoil her with gifts, and shower her with compliments. That’s how you get the girl. Howeve... More

1 - Be a Witness to a Murder Case
3 - Make Out with Her Teacher
4 - Accept a Punch from Her Best Friend
5 - Kill Her Brother

2 - Kill a Dog for Her

1.2K 40 10
By erinedipity

2 – Kill a Dog for Her

          As soon as Erwin got up from bed, I showed him an article in the web about the fourteen year-old boy the police officer attempted to molest before Erwin killed him.

          The boy allegedly committed suicide by hanging himself from an oak tree in the Rosings lot. His body was found last night by the police when they were patrolling the streets. Reports said that his name was Gavin Baldwin, a gasoline boy working to support himself and his two younger brothers. His mother was an alcoholic who abandoned them after the youngest sibling was born. There was a picture attached to the article and I immediately recognized the uniform he was wearing because I usually fill my tank in that station. Jesus, I might have seen this boy before.

          I waited for my housemate's reaction. He was still wearing the gray sweatshirt he wore last night when he went to a pub to drink. His hands were hidden in his pockets. Traces of a goodnight sleep was absent from him. His hair was disheveled but his eyes were wide and alert.

          Erwin walked near me. He bent down, rested his palms on his knees, and eyed the screen closely. His lips curled into a smile and chuckled.

          "It's Margoth's article," he murmured. He shifted the laptop for me to see it. His index finger pointed at her name below the title of the article. I was too absorbed with the news that I didn't notice it was written by Margoth.

          Erwin proceeded to the sink and washed his face. Although the police already declared case closed because of the suspect's suicide, I can't stop forming theories about what really happened. Why would the boy go back to that lot? And if he really wanted to commit suicide, why does it have to be in the same place where the murder took place?

          "If it's bothering you, yes I did it." I shifted my gaze to Erwin. Droplets of water were dripping from his straight face.

          Maybe there will always be something inside me that will associate Erwin from any crime I will come across. Partly because he's really a murderer and he's good at getting away with it. This city was peaceful and safe until a monster walking in a human form came to haunt it. Crazy it may seem but he loved being viewed as a villain and if I were to say it to his face that he's Halsworth's new big bad wolf, it'll boost his ego to death.

          "If the police found him he can prove his innocence. So I had to erase him before he can have the chance to free himself," Erwin shrugged and ran his left hand on his hair.

          He spoke like he had already forgotten who really killed the police. Then I realized what he once said about lying. In order to make them believe you, you have to believe the lie yourself. It's exactly what he's doing. He didn't forget, he really believes that the boy did the crime.

          "How did you do it?" I asked.

          Erwin put on his smug face, walked back to the dining table, and sat opposite me. He crossed his arms as he prepares himself for his grand tale.

          "Right after I killed the pedophile, I drove fast to catch the boy. He was scared and all so when I presented myself as a police, he believed me. I didn't even bother to show cards or IDs," Erwin laughed proudly at his escapade. "I told him if he'll go with me I will help him make a statement about what happened. Of course he ignored my offer because he didn't want to be bothered but then I showed him money and goddamn he changed his mind faster than light. Amazing how money can make wonders, right?"

          I unconsciously clenched my fists. Luckily they were sitting above my lap and hidden below the table. I wanted to knock his teeth off. I wanted to ruin that motherfucking smile that's been hinting something more than just being glad about his acts. I have been enduring his subtle approach of him being superior from me, from everyone.

          Every time he hands me bank checks to forge his mother's signature he looks at me the same way he's looking at me now. Like I'm just a small worm crawling away from the forest he created. He knew I'm poor and he likes to rub it on my face by stealing large amount of cash from his mother even if he doesn't need them anyway. I don't know why I can't learn from his ways. If I can just stomach the way he handles his victims, I could have killed him a long time ago and saved lives at the same time.

          I got rid of the idea. I can't think of something that could get me killed. Erwin is very suspicious. Any signs of arrogance or defiance could lead you to your grave.

          "He took the money and hopped into the car. There I strangled him with my bare hands. I hid him in the compartment until I can finally set up the rope," he finished. He got up, went to the bathroom, and continued to prepare for school.

          I might hate him at times but he never fails to amaze me. There are times when he seems like he doesn't have a plan but then he'll surprise you and you'll just uncover everything by yourself. He has a great mind but sadly he turned out to be a psychopath.

          Erwin left for school earlier than me. When I arrived in the classroom, I found him reading a Physics book. Margoth was scribbling something in her notebook. The class started and ended but not a single glance was spared either from Erwin or Margoth. Maybe the sheriff's daughter was just really busy so Erwin pretended to be at the same state too. He's unpredictable. One thing I am sure of, Erwin Gregory always got something up his sleeves.

          Lunch break came. I decided to sit behind Erwin. I don't know, I can't stop myself from monitoring him. I feel like he's an enigma and I have to decode him. I'm not going to lie, I want to outsmart him and put him to his place but he's just too complicated. Sometimes I feel like before I can figure him out he already knew what I'm about to do. Aside from the fact that I owe him my life, I can't really outwit him.

          Margoth Manson unexpectedly came and sat across Erwin with her tray. Her hair was tied in a bun so you could really see her sweet smile and her pinkish cheeks. I can't make out Erwin's reaction but I'm sure he's playing the charmer right now.

          "I saw you writing in your notebook the whole time. You never lifted your head to see our teachers," Erwin commented.

          "I was reviewing things about the case. There's something off about it," Margoth knitted her eyebrows and breathed heavily. "By the way, did you already know? The boy committed suicide."

          Erwin nodded. "I saw your article in the web."

          "The pistol wasn't recovered from him. I don't know but if he really wanted to commit suicide why didn't he use the gun?" There was melancholy in her voice. She was desperate to make him see the point.

          I'll give everything to see Erwin's reaction. I'm sure he wasn't expecting her to say those things. He must have underestimated Margoth.

          "Maybe he doesn't want to feel pain so he chose to go that way," Erwin leaned forward. "I once tried to kill myself. I searched for ways to avoid pain like poison, hanging. The point is he died because of his conscience. The case is closed. You should focus more on your studies."

          Lie. Erwin never in his life thought of suicide. He knew he's too good for this world like he's some god or something. He values his existence so much that killing himself is the only crime he can distinguish in the whole world.

          I thought Margoth's question will be the one who's going to ruin him and make him stop functioning like a robot. I was wrong. Whenever you feel like you're close to unraveling Erwin Gregory he'll come right back stronger than before.

          "I'm sorry if I made you think about your past."

          "You know what? Let's just forget about the first time we met," the sadness in Margoth's eyes was changed into anticipation. "I'm Erwin Gregory. I came from Harrington five days ago. I'm new in the city, I want to learn more about Halsworth, and I definitely want to know more about you."

          Attraction was undeniable between the two. If this was a movie, they'll be like those couples who found their zing the first moment they saw each other. Too sad Erwin got something more inside his head. He doesn't want the sheriff's daughter for her beauty or wit. He wants her because he wants to manipulate her. Margoth might feel something for him in the future but for Erwin Gregory, she's just a lab rat. More like a something than a someone.

          To be an effective manipulator, one must be charming. Erwin doesn't have those blue, irresistible eyes—he's irresistible himself. I saw how he looked at Margoth when they met in the crime scene. He looked at her like she's the most special girl in the whole world that Margoth didn't get the chance to look at everyone else. Even when her father arrived she can't leave Erwin's eyes. She was trapped and she loved it.

          "My name is Margoth. Margoth Manson. My dad is the sheriff but don't be scared to approach me. Maybe some other time I can show you Halsworth," she smiled and giggled. They shook hands and eyed each other for some time.

          I'm not foreign to psychopaths like Erwin. I've read books and watched movies about them. I remember reading a book about a psycho who fell in love and changed for the girl he loves. I want to hope that the same thing would happen to Erwin. Maybe not Margoth but I hope later in his life he will meet someone that would make him realize how horrible he really is. Someone who could transform him and make him grow a heart. Crazy and delusional but I really wish he could just change.

          "Wait, you said you're from Harrington?" Erwin stopped eating his lunch to pay attention to the excited Margoth in front of him. "My best friend is from Harrington too. Three years ago his family moved here. His name is Jack. Jack Watson."

          The name is familiar to me. I've heard it somewhere but I can't remember where or from whom.

          "Watson?" Erwin repeated.

          "Yes. I heard that place is kinda small so maybe you've heard of him," the green eyed girl said.

          "No. No one in our neighborhood is a Watson," Erwin continued eating and soon Margoth dropped the topic and busied herself with her food.

          Erwin and Margoth walked to our next period together. They were laughing and sometimes they would just stare at each other like they have a secret message that the two of them could only perceive. The only thing that separated them was the distance of their chairs when the teacher entered the room.

          Our Calculus teacher started the class by checking the attendance. She called us one by one and we have to yell out "present" after our names.

          "Gregory, Erwin E."

          "Present."

         "Mr. Gregory," the teacher called his attention. "Are you okay? You look like you want to kill me."

          I was compelled to check on Erwin and it seems like I'm not the only one. Almost everyone turned their heads to look at him. His gazed was fixed at our pixie-haired teacher. After a few moments the teacher continued calling other names.

          The last two periods went easy. Margoth kept on looking at my companion but he never looked back. He focused on listening to the lectures and taking down notes.

          I thought Erwin's already going home but he turned to the hallway directing to the teachers' lounge. I tried calling him but he was ignoring me and he just seemed so unshakable. I realized he's planning to kill our Calculus teacher. It's not my obligation to stop him but I have to. There are still so many people in school. He can get caught any minute. Plus, students aren't allowed to enter the teachers' lounge so he's gonna have to force his way in.

          I trailed him until he reached the door. He was about to turn the doorknob when Margoth rushed towards him from the left hallway. She touched his arm and shook her head meaning to stop him from what he's about to do.

          "We're not allowed in there," she told him.

          "I just want to say sorry to Miss King."

          "It's fine. She's just paranoid because one of her former students tried to kill her for giving him an F," Margoth explained.

          "Okay. So, can I drive you home? You know for explaining about Miss King and for being so nice to me," and in a snap Erwin Gregory's back on track again.

          Margoth laughed and nodded shyly. They walked to the left hallway and I was left nervous for the blonde girl's fate.

          One thing about Erwin is you don't interrupt him when he's already determined to kill somebody. Like that time when a middle aged woman dented his car so he had to pursue her but got ticketed by a traffic policeman for over speeding. He lost the woman so he killed the cop.

          I went home and continued my job as I waited for Erwin. I'm sure he's going to narrate how exactly he killed Margoth Manson. I just hope he does it neat like the way he always has because we don't know whatever hell the sheriff's going to bring once he found out something horrible happened to his little girl.

          Erwin Gregory surprisingly arrived way early than I expected. Forty minutes after I got home, he's already parking his car at the garage.

          I pretended to smoke outside to meet him. I was lighting my cigarette when I saw him marching towards me. He was wearing a black v-neck shirt so it was hard to spot splatters of blood if there were any.

          I tossed the pack of cigarette to him followed by my lighter. He lighted a cigarette and smoked a few times until he finally opened up to me.

          "I wanted to kill her, Oliver. She ruined my plan. I was about to kill her if it weren't for her father's dog."

          "Her father was there?" I asked.

          "Nope. Her father's police dog was accidentally unleashed and she panicked. She's scared of dogs. Said she had been bitten before," he said bitterly. He smoked one last time and threw his cigarette harshly. "I was itching to kill so I went out, took my shovel from the compartment, and murdered the dog," it startled me when he laughed so suddenly. "God, you should've saw her face. She doesn't know if she's going to be thankful or scared of what I did."

          Erwin is still angry because he didn't get to kill Margoth. He lost interest in our conversation so he walked passed me and ascended the stairs. Before he could get inside I remember what I was supposed to say to him.

          "Erwin," I said. He didn't turn around to face me but he stopped moving. "Your mother called. She was asking for you."

          He went inside the house like he didn't hear a thing. I sighed and stayed outside to smoke another stick.

          Unlike the psychopaths in the books or movies, Erwin never had a problem that led him to what he is today. I got a chance to meet his mother when I stayed at their house the night Arnold Smith attempted to kill me. She's alone because Erwin's father died when he was two. She's a very understanding person. She supports and takes care of her son like he's the only reason left to stay alive. She devoted her life to him.

          Once I found her crying in the middle of the night. She told me she doesn't know what to do anymore because her son isn't normal. She tried to bring him to every known doctor or psychiatrist in Harrington but still he managed to trick them that he's already cured.

          I pitied his mother. I tried to talk to him about her but he just shrugged off and continued doing what he was doing. I guess he really doesn't care about anyone, even for his own mother. Maybe real psychopaths aren't made but born.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7M 60.4K 81
Diana is an 18 year old girl about to start her senior year until she bumps into a woman at the bookstore who has quite the personality. The woman ta...
3.1M 129K 59
The story of Abeer Singh Rathore and Chandni Sharma continue.............. when Destiny bond two strangers in holy bond accidentally ❣️ Cover credit...
3.1M 45.5K 67
"You want daddy to f*ck you, hard and rough then reward you with his c*m, is that it, little slut?!" "Yes, Daddy" * MONALISA I thought I had a probl...
263K 8.7K 33
My back was pressed against the wall, and our faces were merely inches away. He gently placed a finger below my chin and tilted my face upward. I tri...