Less Than Three

By DarcyVance

Sometimes <3 means like. Sometimes <3 means love. Like the emotions it represents, sometimes <3 get... More

Chapter One: The M-Bomb
Chapter Two: Corn Dogs and Orange Soda
Chapter 3: Miss Buttered Popcorn
Chapter 4: WWAGGD?
Chapter 5: How to Bust a Superstition
Chapter 6: Heartbreak of the 80's
Chapter 7: A Plume of Dust on a (not so) Lonely Road
Chapter 8: Of Faucets and Feathers and Boys Who Do NOT Give Up
Chapter 9: Go Figure
Chapter 10: A First Rate Explosion
Chapter 12: Goo Goo Eyes
Chapter 13: Sure. Fine. Whatever.
Chapter 14: Sounds Like a Plan to Me
Chapter 15: Happily Ever After, Here We Come!
Chapter16: Is That Your Tongue in His Ear or Are You Just Happy to See Him?
Chapter 17: And We Were Falling, Falling ...
Chapter 18: Way Big Cosmic Voodoo
Chapter 19: Soothing My Savage Beast
Chapter 20: Avast, Ye Mateys!
Chapter 21: Re-establishmentarianism
Chapter 22: Swashbuckled
Chapter 23: Death Metal
Chapter 24: A Disturbance in the Force
Chapter 25: Further Notes to Self
Chapter 26: Love Stinks.
Chapter 27: The Guy Code
Chapter 28: S'more
Dear Santa
Chapter 29: Imagine That
Chapter 30: An Exercise in Decision Making
Chapter 31: Of Teeter Totters and the Consequences of Shifting
Chapter 32: To Dye For
Chapter 33: It. Is. Done.
Chapter 34: The All Star Pony Princess, De-throned
Chapter 35: Imbroglio-ed
Chapter 36: WhatWouldWileECoyoteDo?
Chapter 37: Manners, Custom and Fashion
Chapter 38: Do You Smell Smoke?
Chapter 39: This Way to Madagascar
Chapter 40: Color My World
Chapter 41: In Which I Become Someone Else
Chapter 42: With Loud Mouth Hearts
Chapter 43: Holes
Chapter 44: The Regular Rhythmic Contraction of the Heart
So You Want an Epilogue?

Chapter 11: If Only ...

12.4K 772 125
By DarcyVance

8:10 PM Where do you go when your best friend hates you, your boyfriend is possibly hanging out with racy girls and you've suddenly discovered your guy friends are off limits?

I hit the coffee shop first. Maybe Kiersten could help me figure out where everything had gone wrong? She wasn't there. I headed to her apartment next, but her mother said she'd just left.

I tried going home after that. Within five minutes, Mom started talking about my "website" again.

The park seemed like a good idea, but when I heard bottle rockets, I skirted the main grounds and walked down the hill to the playground. You know, just in case Craig and Dave were in the vicinity.The sight of the tall metal slide and retro-style swings made me smile. I took a spin on the merry-go-round for old time's sake. I climbed up the chains that led to the rusty old fort. I was about to squeeze through the hole that led to the fire pole when I heard someone coming. The girl's voice sounded familiar. The boy's voice did too. The third voice I knew for sure; it was Brady.

I should have slid down the pole, jumped out, and announced my presence right then. It might have been a little uncomfortable but not as awful as what happened when I ... did not slide ... did not jump ... did not announce.

I blame my decision on the fourth voice I heard: Lily Peterson's. I had both arms and one leg wrapped around the fire pole when she said, "So, you and Summer are like ...?"

And Brady answered, "No. Yes. I don't know."

Call me curious. Instead of joining the group, I flattened myself against the sticky floor of the little fort and peered out through the metal slats to spy on my boyfriend.

Why were Brady and Jacob in town when Madison thought they were at the racetrack? What was Kiersten doing there with Lily, when they were supposed to be sworn enemies? And how did the four of them end up together? Those questions were burning a hole straight through me. But I could have let it go.

Really, I could have. If only Lily hadn't said, "I hear Summer and Dave are pretty tight these days."

What? Dave Brown and me? Tight?

Brady was quiet, but Jacob had plenty to say. He started with, "Yeah, it's funny how she sticks her nose in my business when she's ..." And then he went on to list all the times I'd been spotted within five miles of Dave Brown within the past week. He made each one of them sound like part of some grand romantic scheme instead of the series of unfortunate accidents that they were.

Seriously. Have you ever tried to avoid someone in a town as small as New Concord?

I waited for Brady to defend me but after a couple of minutes, he frowned and rubbed his hands over his face. Then he stood and started walking away.

Kiersten jumped off the swings after him. "I don't think Summer sees it that way," she said. I was grateful to have such a wise and loyal friend. If I wanted to hear anything else she might have to say, I'd have to figure out a way to follow them. Note to Self: Do not pursue a career that involves following. You suck at it.

I lagged too far behind. By the time I made my move, I couldn't see Brady and the rest. I couldn't hear them either. I did hear the thumping bass of a car stereo though. It was the kind of music my boyfriend could not resist so I headed in that direction.

I hadn't gone far when familiar laughter replaced the beat. I panicked and ran toward the lake. Searching desperately for somewhere to hide, I settled on the lifeguard rowboat at the far end of the beach. I climbed in and hunkered down in the bottom of the boat.

From the sound of things, Jacob and Lily hit the beach first. They argued back and forth in a way that had nothing to do with being angry. I heard Brady and Kiersten next. It was tougher to follow their conversation. They were speaking quietly and whatever they said sounded kind of sad and solemn.

Eventually Lily and Jacob shut up. Without them blabbering, I could hear Kiersten and Brady more clearly. There was the occasional, 'And then she mmmbbbmmllmmt,' from Brady or, 'But she crhhrddlllnd,' from Kiersten. It was just enough to drive me crazy.

And then the talking stopped.

I was lying in the bottom of the boat, watching the stars perform Dave Brown's magic appearing act, when I realized no one was speaking at all. At first I thought maybe I'd missed them leaving while I let the stars dazzle me.

It was dark by then. I was a good distance away from the spot on the sand where I imagined the four of them to be seated. I figured I could risk one quick peek. What I did not figure was that getting into the position for peeking from the bottom of a rowboat that was half in and half out of the water could be quite so difficult.

Somehow, I managed to raise myself so that my eyes were above the boat's sides. I also managed to rock the boat just enough that it was now all the way in the water.

When I finally accomplished my peek, I saw three things that disturbed me:

1. Jacob and Lily were lying together on the beach in a way that, in the dark, could probably be interpreted as: Making Out.

2. Brady and Kiersten were huddled together in a way that, if I didn't know them both better, could possibly be interpreted as: Pre-Making Out.

3. The shore of the lake was slipping farther and farther away in a way that could most definitely be interpreted as: Summer, you are utterly and hopelessly screwed.

What could I do? Nothing. Any move I made would draw attention to myself. At least I had a decent view of the beach. I'd figure the rest out later.

Eventually Jake and Lily got tired of exploring each other's tonsils. They sat up. Kiersten and Brady moved a little further apart. Some 'What do you want to do? I don't know, what do you want to do?' conversation seemed to take place. They all stood and walked back up the path toward the trees and the hill.

I sighed in relief.

Of course, there was still the problem of being in a rowboat, on the lake, in the dark. Make that: in a rowboat, on the lake, in the dark ... with no oars.

It took a few breaths (deep ones) before I could calm myself enough to evaluate the situation. While the circumstances were not optimum, at least the rowboat was tethered by a nice, long rope and anchored to something solid up on the sand.

I re-positioned myself and grabbed the rope. I pulled, hand over hand. The boat moved forward a few inches with each tug. At the rate I was going, I wouldn't make it home before curfew. Then I'd have a lot more to explain to my mom than a bogus website.

I considered my options. Grape Lake isn't a very big lake. I am a good swimmer. I could jump out and swim to shore. Of course, then I'd still have to pull the boat in and allow for drying time. Getting home before curfew wouldn't get you out of explaining a few things if you came home soaking wet.

I slipped out of my shirt and shorts. Once I got the boat to shore, I could run to the trees, wring most of the water out of my underwear and dress again. As long as I kept most of my hair above the water, I might get past my mom and a quick 'Hi, I'm home, goodnight' encounter. It seemed like a plan. I made sure my phone and skateboard were safely stowed in the driest part of the boat and jumped in.

It really might have worked.

If only two guys hadn't wandered onto the beach. If only they hadn't heard me splash. And turned toward the boat. And yelled out to me in a way that made me know, for certain, that it was Craig and Dave. If only I had given up and yelled back that I was okay.

I could have asked them to leave for just a few minutes. I could have met them, fully clothed, at the top of the hill. I'd explain all about it then. They could laugh at me all they wanted.

But no.

Instead, I pretended to be invisible. I didn't answer when they called. I tried not to splash. Maybe they'd think the boat floated out there, into the middle of the lake, all on its own-like?

It still might have worked, if Madison hadn't experienced that weird sense that something was wrong (like best friends sometimes do) and tried to call me. Or if I hadn't bragged to Craig and Dave about the new PaperKut ringtone I'd downloaded the night before. Or if they didn't recognize the phone as possibly mine and freak out.

If only there were not so many ifs -- like this one: If Dave hadn't paid so much attention in Health and Safety class, and stripped down to his boxers while yelling to Craig to go find help, "Quick!" Then waded, and dove, and swam out toward the boat.

If only Dave could have had super-duper underwater hearing while I shouted to him, "Don't! Stop! Dave!"

Or this one: If only Jacob and Lily and Kiersten and Brady hadn't heard the commotion and come running back down to the beach.

Then maybe I wouldn't have found myself dripping in the moonlight, in my bubblegum pink bra and panties, saying, "I can explain," next to Dave (who was also dripping, in the moonlight, in his boxers -- which were red, with guitars on them).

Then maybe Kiersten's mouth would not have turned into a perfect 'o'. And Jacob and Lily would not have shared a smirk. And Craig would not have raised BOTH eyebrows at me, when he arrived back on the beach -- with Detective Sampson and his police-dog, Zenko, who just happened to be out for a stroll in the park.

And maybe Brady would not have thrown up his hands and stomped away ... while Dave Brown fell onto the sand, laughing.

11:42 PM Bonus Term of the Day: Jettison - To discard a hampering object

Sometimes I wish I could jettison my whole life. That is all.

Things I Love:

Nada. Zip. Zilch. Nothing.

Things I Hate:

Lily

Jay-cob

Best friend ESP

Cellphones

Water

Health and Safety class

(me)

<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Blindsided By sjm

Teen Fiction

8.4K 266 28
Summer Michael needs to undergo a serious surgery soon to live, but there is no donors insight. Making her restless to do the things she would have n...
72 4 12
This is not a HEA. This book is a companion Novella to the Blackrock series. Scarred Hearts - Taking Chances - Infinity & Always. It deals with t...
169K 2.4K 21
Welcome to the life of teen fiction and teen romance be prepared to meet the mind of the younger generation... Well the extreme side anyways ;) Cool...
448 307 18
Cover credits: @AaryanVB THEME: In our teenage, we are expected to behave like adults but are treated as children. It's the most troublesome phase. A...