His Sudden Bride (The Brides...

By leyla4forever

LET THE GAMES BEGIN... When Lady Alexandra Herbert discovered that she was to be married to Edward Wellesley... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four, Part One
Chapter Four, Part Two
Chapter Four, Part Three
Chapter Five, Part One
Chapter Five, Part Two
Chapter Five Part Three
Chapter Six, Part One
Chapter Six, Part Two
Chapter Six, Part Three
Chapter Seven, Part One
Chapter Seven Part Two
Chapter Eight, Part One
Chapter Nine Part One
Chapter Nine, Part Two
Chapter Ten, Part One
Chapter Ten, Part Two
Chapter Eleven, Part One
Chapter Eleven, Part Two
Chapter Twelve, Part One
Chapter Twelve, Part Two
Chapter Thirteen, Part One
Chapter Thirteen, Part Two
Chapter Fourteen, Part One
Chapter Fourteen, Part Two
Chapter Fifteen, Part One
Chapter Fifteen, Part Two
Chapter Sixteen, Part One
Chapter Sixteen, Part Two
Chapter Seventeen, Part One
Chapter Seventeen, Part Two
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty ~ END
Epilogue

Chapter Eight, Part Two

4.2K 218 2
By leyla4forever

At last, Lexa thought. She was proudly holding the first copy of James's newest travel guide. After the dance, and before he left the Abernathy Hotel, James had slipped his hand into his coat and pulled out a fresh bound book. As he winked at her and handed the book to her, Lexa had gushed and kissed him fondly on the cheek. Once James had left, Lexa and turned and gushed with joy as she clutched the book, as if it was precious treasure, to her chest when someone else approached her by the refreshment table.

"Lady Alexandra?"

This voice was unfamiliar, so Lexa blinked when she turned to see a handsome blonde smile at her.

"Pardon me," she said, "May I inquire-?"

"Of course," said the blonde man as he respectfully bowed to her. "I am Henry Montagu, Earl of Sandwich."

Lexa relaxed her right hand and raised it for Lord Sandwich to take and kiss it. "A pleasure."

"Douro, told lots about you," said Lord Sandwich, his deep blue eyes sparkling, "And you are more beautiful than he described."

Lexa's cheek warmed pink, as she unconsciously tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, "Ah...why thank you, my lord."

"And also are indeed blessed to be intelligent," he added, eying the book, he was holding, "New book?"

God Heavens, was Lord Sandwich flirting with her? Lexa never often had men flirting with her. But it was most welcoming.

"Lord James Bourne gave it to me," she said.

"Is he a friend of yours?" inquired Lord Sandwich.

"A very dear friend," said Lexa, sweetly, "We are very close."

Lord Sandwich chuckled and then said, softly to himself, "Poor Edward."

"I must say," said Lexa, realizing as she looked around the grand room, "Is Lord Douro here?"

"Hmm," said Lord Sandwich, as he too surveyed the room. "Ah. I believe he is here indeed by the sculptures. And he is glaring at us."

Lexa looked to see that Edward was indeed wearing a dark expression. "Is he angry?" she asked, worried.

"Not at you, of course," Lord Sandwich replied, causally, "He's glaring at me as I tended to flirt with very girl in the genteel society. Oh, but do forgive me, Lady Alexandra, for you are no exception."

"Are you making him jealous?" Lexa asked.

"I?" Lord Sandwich pointed to himself innocently, "Why of course not. You simply made him jealous just by dancing with Lord James."

Lexa's mouth went agape. Did he really become jealous because of that? But then Lexa realized she had not told Edward much about herself, as did he about himself. His jealousy was her fault. At the same him, it thrilled her, that perhaps, his feelings for her would become more than friendship. So, she hoped.

"I suppose I should apologize," she mused.

"Dearest lady, there is no need to."

"But I ought to go him," she said.

Lord Sandwich did not argue with that. "Shall I led you to him?" he asked, politely.

Lexa shook his head, "No. You will only provoke him. I shall see to him."

Without waiting for Lord Sandwich's reply, Lexa made her way past the guests and towards Edward.

She was coming towards him, with a small smile on her beautiful face. She stood in front of him with a book clutched to her chest and tilted her head, slightly as if se was studying him.

"Hello, dear," she mused to him, "It's been a while."

"A long while," Edward said, "Entirely my fault, of course."

Lexa was still smiling, "Hardly your fault. Are you well then?"

"Much better," Edward said.

"I just met Lord Sandwich," said Lexa, "He is ever delightful."

"He is indeed," said Edward, "A charmer as well."

"Handsome too," said Lexa, and Edward knew she was provoking him, "He has such beautiful dark blue eyes."

"Humph," said Edward, "Laura said the same thing."

Lexa giggled, a sweet girlish laugh, and then she said, "Laura?"

"Yes," said Edward, "She is here."

"Where?" Lexa spin her head around and her eyes were scanning the room. "I don't see her."

Just then, Laura approached him, and said, scowling, "How long have you been standing there, Edward? I swear you are no fun."

Lexa turned to see a girl, no less than seventeen, who looked quite identical to Phoebe and Edward. Seriously, was Phoebe related to him? The resemblance was undeniable! Lexa made it her mission then, to uncover the mystery.

But this girl was younger in appearance, and she was wearing a salmon pink dress with florals with a blue frock tugged into the bodice and blue ribbons at the back of her bustle. Her dark brown hair was curled and pinned into a tight coiffure. Her dark hazel eyes met hers and the girl's American accent, said, in recognition, "Alex?"

Edward saw Lexa's lips twitch upwards and she said, "I haven't been called Alex in a long time, Laura."

Laura squeaked, and hugged Lexa, "Oh my goodness Alex! I can't believe you're here! I missed you so much!"

Lexa laughed, "I missed you too, Lala."

Laura looked as if she was in the brink of tears, "I really can't believe that you are marrying Edward. You should have seen Mama's face when Uncle Horace told us."

Lexa was amused, "How is your mother?"

"Quite well," said Laura, "She gave birth to a girl. Susanna Madison."

"Oh," said Lexa, "I'm glad."

"Alex," said Laura, "You really must tell me about your wedding. When is it?"

"Next week or so," said Lexa.

Laura giggled, "Tis great that I'm here, so I shan't miss it."

"Of course," said Lexa.

Then over her shoulder, something caught Laura's eye, and she gasped, "Phoebe!" She turned to Lexa and Edward and said, "Pardon me." And left the two of them alone as she went to Phoebe.

Silence befell them for a short while, before Edward broke it with a question: "Alex?"

Lexa turned to him, and shrugged, "I have many nicknames. Alex was what I was called when I was in America."

"As well as Miss Pierce?"

Lexa gasped, "How did-no, no! Lady Hestia told you, am I correct?"

Edward twitched, "Amongst others?"

Lexa felt her cheeks burning as she narrowed her eyes, "What others, may I ask?"

"Why did you choose to be called Miss Pierce rather Lady Alexandra?" he countered, avoiding her question.

"I asked you a question first," said Lexa.

"And I'll answer when you answer mine," Edward countered

"Hardly fair."

"Life's unfair.

"Besides the point," she muttered. Then she sighed and resigned, "Well, if you are going to be stubborn about it. I named myself Alexandra Pierce rather than be Lady Alexandra Herbert because it was America! I felt I was an individual who wanted to be created for her efforts rather than being the daughter of a peer. As I was fascinated by American history, I chose to be called Alexandra Pierce after one of the Founding Fathers, Franklin Pierce."

"So you wanted to be American?" Edward asked.

Lexa shrugged, "I suppose. Now what others has Lady Hestia told you about me?"

The next words that would come out of Edward's mouth were one he never knew he would regret. "That you were interested in science and biology. That you would talk endlessly about th reproduction of hedgehogs and-Lexa?"

Her face was white from shock and horror. It was so pale, Edward feared she was going to faint. Then she recovered, but only slightly and her expression changed. It became dark and haunted. And it had a certain sadness that Edward felt inside his heart.

"Excuse me," she mused.

Edward didn't stop her. She turned, and fled the ballroom and its entirety.

Her eyes had so much pain that it broke his heart. His words had hurt her deeply and opened an old wound. Never more did Edward regret what he did more that he did now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

327K 27K 42
Forced to trade identities with a dead woman, Chara becomes entangled in a web of deception that would no doubt cost her her very life in the end. * ...
4.2K 541 13
After three years' imprisonment for high treason, a jaded princess is given one last chance of freedom through an arranged marriage to a foreign prin...
198K 8.9K 36
In a world of money, fame, and all the champagne that came with it, Camsy Colbert, the famous wedding planner, was alone. But it was fine; she was to...
3M 130K 65
Lady Eliza Turner has no interest in finding herself a wealthy husband, she has her books, her best friend Charlotte, and plenty of opinions on what...