Heart Under Construction

By iamjanessaelliot

After Shay THINKS things are finally cut off with her abusive/obsessive boyfriend Dante of 3 miserable years... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
:)
:) Part 2

Chapter 40

9.4K 384 51
By iamjanessaelliot

Feel free to comment anything y'all. I absolutely love reading them and they motivate me :). And thank EVERYONE for constantly showing love. Love y'all! 💜

Alisha POV

I was currently hanging out with my little brothers and mom at the hospital in the cafeteria lobby.

My dad was always here too, along with the rest of Shay and I's family but he had to work today.

My mom is a nurse but she took the day off to be here.

My brothers Terez and Garrett, were next to me eating as I messed with my milk carton flap while leaning back in my chair.

They were all talking but I wasn't....

I was half listening...

I was too caught up in my thoughts.

"Boys..." I heard our mom say suddenly to get their attention, we all looked up at her. "Go back up to the lobby please... I need to speak with your sister" she said looking at them as she continued to sit next to me.

She sat up against the round table and placed her arms ontop of it.

My teenage brothers picked up their trays and began to head off, after kissing both of our cheeks.

I turned my chair outward, away from the table and facing the side of my mom's chair.

I breathed out as I tried to prepare myself for what she was going to say.

"Honey.." she started speaking as she adjusted herself in her chair to get comfortable. "I know I asked you this before when this all first happened and we cried together for hours but I need to ask you again..." she continued as she looked in my eyes.

My mom is big on eye contact when you have a deep conversation with her... She'll call you out on it as being disrespectful if you don't.

I could feel myself coming close to crying already because I had an idea of what she was about to say.... And hearing it from her, meant more to me than hearing it from almost anyone else.

"How are YOU.... doing?.... How are YOU... handling all of this?" She asked softly to me as she transferred her gifted, natural motherly instincts and care in my direction with her gentle words.

Her soft, meaningful words overwhelmed me with emotion.

I looked at her genuinely concerned, beautiful face for a second as I thought about her questions.

Nobody ever really asked me how I was doing... And I mean how I was really doing....

My mouth was throbbing to frown and quiver so I tried to act like it wasn't happening as I looked down.

I folded my bottom lip in inbetween my teeth as I placed my tongue over it with my top teeth ontop of my tongue.

I was too tired, emotionally and physically drained for what I knew was going to happen.

Shay was doing SO much better. She still has a really long way to go to be completely recovered but she is alive and that was all that mattered to me for the past 2 months...

But Ky.... 😔

Life without Ky wasn't.... Life.

It feels abnormal and weird to be without him.... In a friend or even a sexual way too.

I miss him so damn much.

Their are times when I would pick my phone up and start to text him those funny or nasty texts that we always did but I would remember that he was done with me.

I tried to clear my voice so the golf sized lump in my throat would remove itself but it didn't budge.

I quickly realized that I wasn't going to be able to fight this huge, lengthy cry off.

I put my hands over my face as I began to cry.... Deeply.

"I know when my babies are hurting" she said softly as she put her arms out to me after turning her chair directly across from mine.

I slowly got up and sat in my mom's lap and cried my eyes out.

She had both arms wrapped around my back as she softly whispered "shhh" to me while rocking my body carefully and in rhythm like old times.

Her soft voice soothed me and calmed me down.

I have been going through SO much over these past couple of months...

•Almost losing Shay.
•Carter being completely broken.
•Handling everything by myself.
•Watching Shay go through painful physical therapy.
•Shay cutting off Carter.
•Juggling my new job.
•Shay missing Carter in the hospital.
•And the biggest one right now, is secretly falling in love w- I MEAN Ky falling in love with me.

It seemed like the list went on and on.

"It feels like everything fell apart" I sobbed through my hands as my mom rocked me with her head against mine.

She kissed the top of my head.

"Shhh... I know" she softly soothed me.

.... I just need my mom.

Carter POV

I continued to walk around the marina in the Shay's hometown.... The Bay Area, as I continued to think of a way to get her back and to let me finally love her the way I have always wanted to.

I got frustrated and eventually went back inside my hotel room.

ALL I could do was think about her...

Flashbacks, memories, pictures, notes, cards .... everything.

She was EVERYWHERE.

I look at the couch as I emotionlessly sat on it.

We cuddled on these same hotel room couches when she would drive her by herself when she needed me.

I look at the refrigerator to remember her rapping hood songs to me as she made food for us.

I look at the hotel toaster when we debated with eachother that a toaster oven was better than a basic toaster.

I look at the TV that we would always fight over that we didn't ever even want to watch when we were together.

I look at my bag of clothes that I brought to think about all the times she would jack my clothes and wear them.

Than I look at my chest.... This was where she was stored at forever and this was the same placed she would lay her head at.

Their are memories for literally everything and everywhere.

Their were a lot of things that really bothered me...

Like how she missed out on the big New York internship that she worked SO hard for....

And of course I was going to give back the $2,000 check from the bet we made that she would fall in love with me when I first met her.

All her money is hard earned and legit....

*Sighs*

Sometimes I feel like I was a mistake in her life because I fucked everything up.... 😣

I decided to come to the marina last night... It's not like I could go to the hospital.

The ONLY reason I didn't straight up wap them security guards was because I didn't want Shay to think of me being that bitchmade nigga, anymore than how many times she has already compared me to him... Plus I couldn't afford to get banned from Shay's hospital.

Surely not because of the expensive fine, but because I knew I was gonna come here everyday with her favorite flowers and things that she loves so much like the fruit snacks.

I wasn't on the visitors list anymore so I couldn't see her at all... The lady at the front desk be strict about people being 'on her floor'.

I have been thinking of a way to get her back ever since that night when she told me I had to move on...

Alisha POV
*Next Day*

After putting Shay's hair into a cute bun, I sat back down in the hospital chair next to her bed.

"Th-thank... You" she whispered to me.

I smiled at her. "Girl whatchu thankin me for?" I playfully responded.

The doctor officially said that she can talk but preferably only small words and phrases now.

It was about 8:45 a.m. right now and I was hanging out with her before work.

As we sat there... I had to ask her the 2 questions that have been eating away at me for a long time.

I couldn't hold it in anymore.

".... Why did you just let him go like that?" I asked her softly as I held her hand to soothe up my question to her.

She let out a quiet breath.

"I-I had.... To" she whispered to me.

I frowned.

I frowned for 3 reasons.... I frowned because she felt like she had to because she was too scared. I frowned because that was all she knew how to do.... Push people away.

And lastly, I frowned because she was robbing herself of the opportunity to be loved the way that she deserved to be.... Which was above and beyond.

I proceeded to ask her the second question.

"So if you didn't intend on any of this to happen.... Than what were you doing this whole time with him Shay?" I asked softly to her as I rubbed circles in her fragile hand.

I tried to minimize how much her answer would be so she wouldn't have to talk as much... so I expanded on it.

"I mean, clearly doing something that you have never done before...." I added as I waited for an answer.

She let out a soft breath before she spoke.

"Yes I w-was...... I was l.. letting someb-body l-love me..." She spoke gently as her voice softened with tears hidden behind it.

Her soft words were so meaningful, genuine and true.

I had tears streaming down her face with my eyebrows scrunched slightly and softly.

"And l-look... what h....happ-ened" she added as she began to silently cry.

My sissy. Awwee.

I frowned deeply.

I stood up and sat on the side of her bed with my arms carefully and cautiously around my bestfriend as I held my crying fragile, hurt... yet strong bestfriend and sister.

"Everything happens for a reason..... Okay? So don't worry... Everything will turn out for the better" I said softly to her as I forced my voice to remain regular to be strong for her as I cried deeply.

We're not okay.... But we're going to be okay....

Zechariah POV
*Next Day*

I went to the hospital with balloons and big, colorful sunflowers to visit Shay and Alisha. I didn't bring food because I knew Shay couldn't eat it.

I went into the elevator and watched the lobbies go by before I got to her floor. After watching the numbers change... I walked to her room to see Alisha and Mrs. Rose sitting in there.

I greeted and hugged both of them.

They so cute 😊

"Hey boobie" I said as I hugged Shay's fragile body.

As I hugged her, I felt her small hand being gently placed on my arms as they were wrapped it around her... It was her way of hugging me back.

After hugging her, I studied her face for a minute to realize how much the swelling in her face went down... Don't get me wrong her face was still very swollen but even though her eye sockets were damaged, it looked like she was going to be able to open her eyes soon if she tried to.

As I sat in her hospital room, I thought about how Carter sent flowers and other little things that Shay loves everyday.

He stands out in the lobby every single day, hoping that she'll come down their walking one day with her physical therapist since she's going to have to start walking and moving around soon.

The lobby was the only place he could be...

He cares about her SO much... And I feel so bad because his heart is shattered. You could visually see the excruciating emotional pain he is going through and it's not like Shay isn't either.

I suppose she is just trying to not talk about it and I guess it's understandable... but their love for eachother is the exact opposite of temporary.

And as for Alisha and Ky.... Smh.

I knew Ky was in love with her a long time ago. He would show it to her on a regular basis and she literally just thought he was either being nice or emotional.

ALL he did was love her... and she didn't realize it.

And I don't give a fuck what NOBODY say...

Alisha is in love with him too....

Her ass don't cry over NOBODY... So when she broke down multiple times over him and than tried to play it off...

I wasn't fooled because I knew she was.

These 4 people need to #GetItTogether. Like am I the only one that feels this way.

And yes I know from experience that being in love isn't that simple but fuck!

I mean like... Why would they all be miserable apart when they could be genuinely happy together?

Shit don't make no sense...

I HATED seeing all of them like this.

*Sighs*

I visited with everybody at the hospital and everybody who was in the room with me for awhile until everybody had to go to work for their scheduled shifts.

So I had time with my big booty babyyyyyyy 😍

I was just talking to her about everything that has been happening with everybody recently when she gripped my hand a little.

I look up at her to see her eyes open...

I gasp and put my hand over my mouth.

She could only half way open her right eye and the other one was barely open because that was Dante's right hand hit.

She was trying to open it but I could tell it hurt by her facial expression.

"Honey don't try to open the other one" I soothed her because she was really trying to open it.

She breathed out in defeat as she blinked for awhile before she held her other eye open. I could clearly tell her blood vessel was damaged because her whole eye was red.

That REALLY bothered me.... But she was able to open her eye finally.

I started crying tears of joy as I pressed the button to get the nurses in here.

They evaluated her eye carefully and put drops in it.

They said the drops were to speed up the process of her eye healing. They also added that her other eye would be able to open very soon as well.

I was SO excited about her opening her eyes even if it was just one for right now.

I couldn't WAIT to tell everybody.

When the nurses finally left... she was very tired, I mean just exhausted.

I smiled at her as she started to fall asleep.... But this time I knew forsure she was falling asleep... Because her eye was closing 😌

Now I didn't have to play the game of hoping to be able to tell if she was awake or not...

I got up and laid on the side of her big hospital bed.

I wrapped my arms around her and kissed her forehead gently and carefully.

".... I-I m..... isse-d.... y-ou" she breathed out quietly and tiredly.

I grinned and let out some more tears of joy that I quickly tried to wipe away.

"I missed you tooooo" I gushed softly and excitedly to her.

I looked down at her and I could see her mouth slightly curl up through the amount of puffiness in her face.

My heart jumped around because I knew.....

My bestfriend was healing 😌

Omniscient POV
*Next Morning*

Koree Johnson slowly walked up to a patient's room with flowers in her hand.

She appeared extremely sad.

She thought she couldn't see the patient because her supposed son was on such severely bad terms with the patient.

The nurses let her go to her room after checking in the desk and getting a name tag.

The doctors added on an unscheduled respiratory physical therapy session early this morning.

The patient's family and friends were scheduled to visit her later and didn't know this was going to happen so the patient was going to have to deal with this whole painful ordeal by herself.

Koree walked in when the caged device around her torso began moving her chest around.

The patient, Shay Williams was on the hospital bed gripping a nurse's hand instead of a squeeze ball.

She had tears building up as she experienced excruciating pain.

Koree stepped in the room and gasped at the painful view.

She seen that the patient was holding a nurse's hand instead of a family member or friend's hand.

She immediately set the flowers down, along with her purse before she gently tapped the nurse's shoulder.

"Excuse me, I can take it from here" she said as she looked at Shay's face.

The nurse nodded and tried to pry the death grip that the patient had on her hand.

"Shay.... Baby" Koree whispered to get her attention. Shay had her eye barely open and looked at Koree with tears still in her eyes.

They fell immediately and slid down her face as she let go of the nurse's hand and grabbed onto Koree's hand as she cried through the physical therapy session.

Koree scrunched her eyebrows together a little as tears began to well up in her eyes at the view.

As she fought back tears to be strong for the young patient, Koree talked encouraging and motivating words to her so she could get through it.

After the physical therapy... The nurses had to change the bandage on her back along with the sling cushion for her wrist and her fractured and broken collarbone.

Koree remained on the side of her bed as the nurse's carefully lifted up the patient's upper body and moved her body to the side so that her legs were hanging comfortably on the side of the bed.

The patient groaned and tried to stop crying as she had to move her body completely.

This was a part of her physical therapy too.

They had to rotate her chest and ribs so they could regulate and not build up any fluid or get blood clots.

They held her weak arms up as they slid her gown off, along with all the bandages and cushion protectant wraps.... Revealing her bare, abused upper body.

Her shoulder blades were yellow and brown while the rest of her back was covered in black, purple and yellow bruises.

Koree gasped at the sight with her hand over her mouth and had to leave the room or else she was going to vomit at the unsettling scenery.

She stood outside the room as she hurled over the trashcan, crying at the sight of such a beautiful person, inside and out.... SO hurt, beaten and abused.

After the nurse's changed everything and stepped out... Koree prepared herself to step back in.

She walked back in to see the new bandaged, fatigued patient laying on the bed wrapped in blankets.

Koree slowly walked over to her and wrapped her arms around her as she cried.

"I'm so.... sorry this happened to you baby" she said softly as she cried while holding Shay.

Seconds later, the patient found the energy to place her hand on the arm of Koree.

The patient began crying quietly...

Carter POV

I was sitting on my mom's couch in the dead silent house as I thought of a way to get Shay to want to talk to me when my mom came through the door.

"How did it go?" I asked quickly and eagerly.

She was crying. She placed her coat and purse by the door before she placed her hands over her face to sob.

I became alarmed.

"Mom..." I panicked to get her attention as I stood up.

I was very worried.

She shook her head. I went over to her and held her as she told me all the details while she cried deeply.

My dad came downstairs and took my mom upstairs to hold her as I tried to collect everything that was happening to her.

She was going through all of this without me?.... 😔

"Fuck" I mumbled as I sat up on the couch and put my elbows on my knees as I began to cry.

I was sick and tired of crying.

I placed my hands harshly on my eyes... As if it was going to stop my emotions from surfacing to my eyes when I knew it wasn't.

My brother and niece came over within minutes.... One of my parents must have called him.

My niece was very worried about me.

"Why are you crwing Uncwle?" My niece said concerned as I had my hand covering my face.

I couldn't stop my tears to even try to answer her.

She sounded like she was about to cry because I was crying.

I heard my brother whisper something to her but I didn't pay attention.

When I didn't answer she spoke again. "Don't crwy Uncwle.... It's okay" she said in her little voice.

I felt a tiny hand on my arm and small pressure.....

I realized Shanel was trying to move my arm to make room to give me a hug.

She pushed my arm and sat on my lap before she wrapped her tiny arms around my neck.

I hugged her tiny body as I continued to cry.

None of this was supposed to happen... 😪

*Hours Later*

I was driving to the hospital to talk to Shay.

I HAD to talk to her.

I don't give a fuck if I get banned or just kicked out because today is going to be the day I was going to atleast see her again.

I can't stay away...

I had on a suit like usual with white roses and a basket full of her favorite fruit snacks...

The Scooby Doo ones.

I also added hundreds of pictures of us and a CD of our songs... The number 1 song of course is Alicia Keys-Unthinkable along with a bunch of other songs that we either sang together playfully or meant something to us in some way.

I wore a suit everyday when I came here because she always loved to see me all dressed up for special occasions...

And I feel like seeing her is a special occasion.

Once I walked in the hospital, I seen that their was a group of people going up to the elevator so if I mix in with them then the front desk of Shay's floor wouldn't even notice me.

I squeezed in with them as I held a glass vase of flowers in my hand with a big basket of all her fruit snacks in it.

We stepped out of the elevator and the front desk lady immediately became busy with the big family so she didn't notice me when I slipped past her vision.

I went to Shay's room to see that their was a nurse in there... The same nurse that knew I wasn't supposed to be in here was infront of Shay... Blocking my view.

Fuck.

It's alright because I knew my time talking to her was going to be short.

The lady moved to check something and I looked at her.

She was still and will always be the most beautiful woman I have ever seen...

I breathed out a sigh of relief at the sight of her.

She was still very beaten but she looked like she was healing very well... Her eyes were still closed.

"Baby" I said to her softly.

It was noisy. I didn't think she heard me but than she did the unthinkable.... She opened her eyes.

I could see that she opened it just a little bit because it was still very swollen and big.

She knew it was me...

"Sir you can't be in here" the nurse said as I looked at Shay to see tears building up in her eyes.

I placed the basket and flowers by the door on the ground because the nurse was going to try to move me back so I wanted to make sure she atleast got them.

As I got closer, I quickly realized her eye was completely red.

Her blood vessels was damaged.

I looked at her with so much sympathy.

"Baby I love you... So much" I said to her with so much emotion as I went to her bed side.

She was crying but she still managed to look up at me.

"Sir-" the nurse began but I put my hand in her face to get her to stop talking.

"Please forgive me" I begged her.

"None of this was supposed to happen. Everything before you was a mistake. I am so lifeless and unhappy without you" I honestly said as I began to cry with my arms wrapped around her head as I spoke to her.

"I know it's not over for you either" I said. "You might not say it but I know it's not over" I cried to her, knowing that my time with her was running out.

"Getting rid of me is NOT gonna be that easy... I love you WAY too much to let you out of my life that fast" I said to her as my voice cracked for a second before I got it together.

I held her hand and she didn't move her hand away this time.

"I ain't no little ole bitch nor am I a teenage boy, I will NEVER give up on us" I said sternly to Shay, hopeful.

I placed the necklace gently in her hand....

The one I gave her to think of me as when I was gone.... The one she still wore when I was ignoring her... The one she tried to fight for when Dante ripped it off of her neck.... The one I had to clean her blood out of.

I looked at the situation I was in for a second.

I was fighting for Shay.... Better yet... My future.

I know something bad is gonna happen to me because I will hit rock bottom without her... I would be lying if I said she wasn't my last hope at life.

I heard heavy footsteps coming behind me.

I gently kissed her cheek as I savored the seconds before I was yanked away by the security guards.

"I know you think I'm happier without you!! But I'm not!! BECAUSE LOVING YOU.. MADE ME BETTER!!" I yelled through the noise and the hassle of the security guards holding me back.

I got one last glimpse of Shay as she had tears rolling down her face while looking at me.

They tried to drag me to the stairwell.

I fought off the security guards.

"FUCK OFF ME BLOOD!!" I said as I pushed them and found the strength in me to withheld myself from punching them because I knew I would forsurely never be able to come back here even if it was a valid visit and I would get a lawsuit against me and I didn't need that right now.

I got out to the parking lot and stayed there.

I grabbed the 2 letters and held them in my hand....

I didn't know how to give the letter to Shay from my Aunt...

I breathed out sadly and harshly.

I was so mad because this situation wasn't in my hands... I couldn't force Shay to want to REALLY be with me or force her to believe that I truly needed and wanted her to be with me forever...

I look out at the streets of Los Angeles as happy couples went by...

I couldn't help but try not to cry as I prayed and wished that Shay and I were one of those couples...

Alisha POV

I pulled out a switchblade from my purse as I walked through the cement levels of the parking lot next to the hospital.

I don't trust people.

I held Shay for hours as she cried and even after she cried herself to sleep in my arms...

It was heartbreaking to see her with so much stuff added onto her plate right as it is.

I loved the fact that Carter came to talk to her while knowing the possible consequences of it.

Atleast he was fighting for her.... More than I can say about Ky doing for me... NOT that I wanted him to or anything though.

He went M.I.A.

I breathed out as I made my way up to my car on the 3rd floor. Their were about 15-20 cars on each level because it was so late.

It's about 3 in the morning right now.

I was about 15 feet away from my car and was about to unlock it with the button on my keys when I heard my name being called.

The sudden noise made me jump as I clicked the button on my knife. Making the blade flip out as I turned around as I stood at the back of my car.

It was just Carter...

He was walking towards me from about 25 feet away. I breathed out as I held my hand over my chest to get my breath back before I put the knife away.

We would've laughed about it any other time but things were serious and sad these days.

He came closer to me in his suit... He had something in his hand.

I didn't know what it was until he was infront of me.

"Can you give this to her?... Please" he begged. "It's from Auntie Karsyn" he said with tears in his eyes as his voice cracked with handing it to me.

I could tell by the way he was moving that he was trying to give it to me and walk away quickly after.... but I wasn't gonna let that happen.

He was broken... And he didn't know what to do or who to turn to because it seemed like everybody turned their backs on him for what he did.

And when he told me he was mad that she went to the club with Ky and I, and that he was getting his dick sucked while she was getting beat....

When I tell you.... that I slapped the taste AND the crisp white off his teeth.... Smh.

And he told me that if Shay asked, to tell her what he was doing while she was with Dante.

He said he felt like he deserved everything that Shay was putting him through. And Shay did ask....

She doesn't talk about Carter but when she asked.... I knew that if I lied she would never forgive me so I did tell her what he was really doing.

She cried and cried and cried as I held her.

It broke my fucking heart that all of this was happening to her in general... led alone when she was in such a fragile and hurt emotionally and physical type of state.

I looked up at Carter as he held out the letter to me.

I looked at it for a second.

My Baby Shay ❤

It was written in beautiful cursive. I seen another written letter, behind the one ontop....

That one must have been from him.

I look at the white bandage wrapped around his knuckles. I wondered what he did to his hand but I already had an idea of what happened.

I frowned.

I could tell he was trying to hold his tears back until he got to his car.

The view hurt me.

I put my purse on the ground and took the letter out of his hand. He quickly began to move around so he could get to his car when I grabbed the sleeve of his suit.

"No" I said as I shook my head slightly while slipping the letter in my purse while looking down.... I continued gripping his sleeve to keep him from walking away.

Making him stand still.

I stood back up straight before I let go of his sleeve.

I turned my arms over with my forearms facing upwards with my hands out to him.

"Come here" I said softly to him.

And just like that.... He damn near collapsed in my arms as he cried out for my bestfriend...

It didn't seem like he was completely just crying over Shay this time.... It felt like he was crying over everything that happened to him... As if this was just "another thing" that was being added onto the list.

"It's okay... Shhh" I said with tears hidden behind my voice as I rubbed his large back to soothe him.

I didn't turn my back on him....

65 votes to continue.

Sorry for any mistakes y'all. I got this dumbass chemistry test I got to study for *rolls eyes* lol. Love y'all! :*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.1K 1.5K 39
When Naomi Garne, and her best friend Kiyah Moore, the daughters of the notorious kingpin's from NYC decide to leave from under their father's wings...
758 110 15
How would you treat you very first love? The very first question that comes in the mind of a teenager... Lucifer and Erica the fortunately or unfortu...
425K 11.8K 46
***THIS CONTENT CONTAINS MATURE SCENES IN IT, ALONG WITH VIOLENCE ***** Asia Carter is 18 and a senior in High School. Asia loves to sing and dance...
312K 24.3K 44
One mistake at work lands Maya Knight paying off a debt in the hands of a troubled, wealthy, and undeniably attractive man. But the real debt, she so...