The Friend Zone

By pucksandponytails27

College is a confusing and exciting place. Between classes, sports, and an attempt at a social life outside o... More

Chapter One: A Good Friend and A Bad Influence
Chapter Two: Some Things Never Change
Chapter Three: It's Always Something
Chapter Four: That Went Downhill Fast
Chapter Five: Whatever Tess
Chapter Six: It's Always Been Me
Chapter Seven: A Hell of a Way to End the Night
Chapter Eight: It's Always Been You
Chapter Nine: Almost Normal Again
Chapter Ten: Loud and Clear
Chapter Eleven: I Saw the Way He Looked at You
Chapter Twelve: You're Killing Me
Chapter Thirteen: I Think We Always Have
Chapter Fourteen: Family Traditions
Chapter Sixteen: My New Favorite Thing
Chapter Seventeen: Blackmail
Chapter Eighteen: I've Got Your Back
Chapter Nineteen: That Crazy Bitch Messed With the Wrong Crazy Bitch
Chapter Twenty: Feeling Twice as Shitty as I Look
Chapter Twenty-One: I Wish I Could Take it All Back
Chapter Twenty-Two: Four Letter Words
Chapter Twenty-Three: Evening the Score
Chapter Twenty-Four: I Don't Know What I'd Do Without You
Chapter Twenty-Five: The Truth Comes Out
Chapter Twenty-Six: Realization
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Confrontation
Chapter Twenty-Eight: You Clean Up Nice
Chapter Twenty-Nine: You're The Best
Chapter Thirty: Making Up
Chapter Thirty-One: Bleeding Out
Chapter Thirty-Two: It's the Thought That Counts
Chapter Thirty-Three: Recovery
Chapter Thirty-Four: Everybody Has Their Stuff
Chapter Thirty-Five: You're Not Alone
Chapter Thirty-Six: Be Okay
Chapter Thirty-Seven: What am I Going to do With You
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Someone Has to Look Out For Your Dumb Ass
Chapter Thirty-Nine: I Always Will
Chapter Forty: Promises
SEQUAL PROLOGUE AND INFO!

Chapter Fifteen: No Regrets

9.8K 230 4
By pucksandponytails27

 We stayed the night at Aunt Linda's that night before heading back to Buffalo around noon the next day. That afternoon Taylor and I went to a Buffalo Beauts game and went out to dinner with Rachel afterward. Tonight, we were heading over to the Canadian side of the border to go out with a few of Taylor's buddies from last season. We'd gotten a hotel room for the night, we knew there was no reason to try to drive back home, especially now that I could legally drink in Canada and would probably end up just as shitfaced as Taylor would that night.

"Ready to go Tess?" Taylor asked as he knocked on the bathroom door.

"Yup," I replied, checking my makeup in the mirror one last time.

"Here's your coat," he said as I opened the door, handing me my jacket.

"Thanks," I smiled as he held it out for me to put my arms in.

As much as he could be an absolute asshole sometimes, Taylor actually had great manners and was very chivalrous when he wanted to be. Occasionally I had to remind him that he did, in fact, have manners, especially when he was drunk, but he was a good guy nonetheless.

"Bye Dad!" I said as we walked down the stairs and to the front door.

"Are you two coming back tonight?" he asked, walking in from the living room.

"Probably not," I replied.

"Stay safe," he said, "Don't do anything too stupid," he added, looking at Taylor out of the corner of his eye.

"I'll make sure he doesn't," I smirked, "Bye Dad."

"How come he always looks at me when he says that?" Taylor asked as we walked out to the car parked out in the driveway.

"Because he knows you," I laughed as we got into the car and made the short drive to the border where we were held up for quite some time.

"Passports please," the border patrol officer said as we pulled up to the gate and rolled down the driver's side window.

"Here," Taylor said, handing him our passports and the registration papers for my car. The officer then left and returned moments later.

"Thank you," he said, handing us back our papers before letting us through the gate.

"That was easy enough," I remarked, "Normally they'd stop us and ask us if we're planning on drinking if we're 19," I laughed.

"I've lied my way through that one a few times," he laughed, "They let me through though because I'm Canadian and they really can't do anything about it. They probably just think I'm taking you home with me after going to a bar early," he laughed.

"Sure, Tay, sure," I laughed.

###

Half an hour or so later, we had made our way to the club that we were meeting a few of Taylor's old teammates at for the night. Before that, we checked into some shitty hotel that we'd rented a room at so we wouldn't drive home drunk. We'd hung out with a few guys from the team so far over break, but we hadn't gotten to see these guys yet over break.

"If it isn't the man himself, Taylor fucking McCarthy," Chase remarked as we found the group in the corner of the club at a table. Chase was the loudest loudmouth ever when he was drinking and he was even chatty when he was sober. I swore I'd never heard him be quiet for more than two minutes at a time.

"How's it going?" Taylor said as they did their little man hug thing. I swear men had the dumbest way of greeting each other, like they have to make up some kind of manly hug to make themselves look tough and bro-ish or some weird shit like that.

"Pretty damn good," he said.

"I take it you've been here a while?" I asked.

"Hey Tess, good to see you haven't changed," he laughed slinging his arm around my shoulder. It was only ten but he reeked of alcohol already.

"Get your hands off of her dumbass, didn't I tell you we're dating now?" Taylor laughed, half shoving Chase just to see if he was intoxicated enough to fall over yet.

"No shit," he said, "It's about damn time."

"Are Ethan and Hank coming soon?" Taylor asked.

"They're here, they went to the bar to get drinks and they're coming back now," he replied.

"Hey guys," Taylor said as Ethan and Hank approached our table.

"Hey Taylor, Tess!" Ethan said, setting his drink down at the table, "How are you two?"

"Great," Taylor replied as Ethan gave me a hug and Hank followed.

Ethan and Hank were Taylor's old linemates, they'd spent the most time together out of anyone else on the team the last three years they spent playing together.

"So Taylor here was just telling me how he and Tess are a thing now," Chase said, taking a drink.

"No shit," Ethan laughed.

"I knew it was going to happen if you two went to school together," Hank laughed.

"Apparently I was the only one who didn't know," I laughed.

"Usually I'm the last one to know this shit, I'm okay with it," Taylor laughed.

"What are we standing around for? I'm finally legal here, let's go get drinks!" I said, shoving Taylor away from the group and toward the bar.

###

A few rounds and a few shots later, we had made the decision to go dance out on the crowded floor under the gleaming neon lights. It was nice to be able to go out and not have to worry about getting caught drinking or dancing with Taylor and it was safe to say that I took full advantage of that.

"You know we could just stop dancing and make out in the middle of the floor like every other couple is doing and not have to worry that Kayla's crazy ass sees us," I whispered in Taylor's ear between songs.

"I guess we could, couldn't we?" he replied with a drunken smirk spread across his smug face, "But what if we went back to a booth where nobody's going to bump into us?"

"Sounds good," I replied, our faces merely inches away from each other. Soon he was leading me back to the booth we had claimed by the hand.

I wasn't quite sure how we managed to make it back there without stumbling more, I was wearing five-inch heels and we had both had more than our fair share of alcohol in the past five hours or so but somehow we got back to the booth without tripping or stumbling over our own feet.

We had barely gotten back to the booth before his arm was snaked around my waist and his hand was on the back of my neck and our lips finally met. The passion was there but the coordination wasn't, considering we were both extremely drunk. It was then that we almost fell into the booth.

"Careful," Taylor breathed, only pulling away long enough to say that single word and laugh a little.

"Damn we're a mess," I laughed as his lips trailed down from my lips, to my neck, then down to my collarbone.

"We should probably get back to the hotel," he said.

"I'll call a cab," I said, reaching into my pocket to grab my phone.

###

Ten minutes later we were back at the hotel and had managed to find our way to the room we had rented for the night.

"I'm going to get changed," I said as we walked into the room, dropping my clutch and coat on the floor.

"Me too," he said.

I walked over to the table on the other side of the room that I had left a knapsack with a t-shirt and pair of leggings in it for the night. I quickly shed my skin tight jeans and long sleeved crop top and slipped into one of his t-shirts I had stolen from him before I was rudely interrupted.

"Damn you can't even let me change my clothes," I whined as he grabbed my waist from behind and kissed my cheek.

"Sorry," he said, "I didn't realize you were actually going to sleep in pants tonight."

"I guess I don't have to," I said, turning around to face him. No sooner had I turned around were his lips on mine again and his hands traveling up and down my back.

"Good," he said, his hand now tangled in my hair and his other hand on the small of my back, causing me to fall back, only to have him catch me before I fell back onto the bed.

I didn't know exactly where this was heading but I didn't seem to care. Maybe it was the amount of alcohol I had consumed or I was finally going to stop giving a shit what everyone else was going to have to say about Taylor and I being together.

"Do you want to stop now?" he whispered in my ear after we had fallen onto the bed, causing a tingle to run down from my ear all the way down my spine.

"No," I breathed, his forehead pressed against mine as we laid there.

"You sure?" he asked, "I-I don't want you to regret this in the morning."

"Yes, I'm sure, God, Taylor keep going," I said, "No regrets, I promise."

###

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.4M 150K 63
π‡πž 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐑𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐦 𝐒𝐧 𝐚 𝐰𝐨𝐫π₯𝐝 𝐭𝐑𝐚𝐭 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐫𝐚𝐒𝐧𝐞𝐝. π’π‘πž 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐑𝐒𝐬 𝐜π₯𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐬𝐀𝐲 𝐒𝐧 𝐚 𝐰𝐨𝐫π₯𝐝 𝐰𝐫𝐞𝐜...
524K 11.3K 45
PUBLISHED - Link in bio πŸ’• The summer after her sophomore year in college, Mia takes time to heal after a failed relationship. In an attempt to move...