He Who Weaves Nightmares | PU...

Door IraCrow13

When the three gods of the dream world accidentally caused a mass homicide, their father, Erebus, decided to... Meer

Announcement
Dedication
Prologue
Chapter 1 - I Loathe Coffee
Chapter 2 - Teen Gaspard
Chapter 3 - A Time for Firsts
Chapter 4 - The Loveseat
Chapter 5 - Green Ice
Chapter 6 - Pop Culture
Chapter 7 - A Pillion
Chapter 9 - Winged Demons
Chapter 10 - The Green Eyed Monster
Chapter 11 - Acting Classes
Chapter 12 - Pangolin
Chapter 13 - Colors
Chapter 14 - Led Zep
Chapter 15 - Caramel Apology
Chapter 16 - Unicorns and Horses
Chapter 17 - Savoring Cheesecake
Chapter 18 - Whose Fairy Tale
Chapter 19 - Cognac Swing
Chapter 20 - The Sweetest Nightmare
Chapter 21 - The Shadows Return
Chapter 22 - Post Prom
Chapter 23 - MIA on Grad Day
Chapter 24 - Sealing the Tunnel
Chapter 25 - Fictitious Wings
Chapter 26 - Powder Blue
Chapter 27 - Discretionary Hours
Chapter 28 - Elysium
Chapter 29 - Once Upon a Hammock
Chapter 30 - Not an Italian Lake
Chapter 31 - Through the Narrow Strip
Chapter 32 - Psychedelic Cycladic
Chapter 33 - Beholden
Chapter 34 - Aislin
Chapter 35 - Unsealing the Tunnel
Chapter 36 - Between Scylla and Charybdis (Part I)
Chapter 36 - Between Scylla and Charybdis (Part II)
Chapter 37 - Between Brothers
Chapter 38 - When We Sleep
Chapter 39 - When We Wake
Chapter 40 - Working for Hades
Chapter 41 - Rejection Dejection
Chapter 42 - To be Mortal
Chapter 43 - The Family Tree (Part I)
Chapter 43 - The Family Tree (Part II)
Chapter 44 - Not the Usual Trade
Chapter 45 - I See You
Chapter 46 - Ill-Fated Nightmare (Part I)
Chapter 46 - Ill-Fated Nightmare (Part II)
Chapter 47 - A Weaver's Wings

Chapter 8 - Big Plate

2.8K 197 118
Door IraCrow13

Chapter 8 – Big Plate

Dreamer

I had so much work piled up. I didn't get to focus on school last week and I had to finish several projects while reviewing for this week's assessments.

I couldn't concentrate at home because I couldn't stop myself from tidying up the mess my sisters made. I loved my sisters, but those girls could compete with a tornado when they passed from one room to another.

Mom told me I was worse.

Anyway, I rushed to the café after completing my morning chores and after Mom had taken the kids to school and the day care. I still had an hour before the first bell rang.

Time to cram.

I was expecting it, but I was still surprised when I felt Francis pull a chair in front of me. His tray was filled with coffee and pancakes. I was sure it wasn't advisable for a kid to drink so much caffeine.

Although I did.

I smiled at Francis and gave him a nod so he'd take a seat. I returned to my notes and looked up after two minutes to see that Francis had already finished his pancakes and coffee. He wiped the syrup from his mouth then took out his workbook. I was glad to see the kid. He was cute and he gobbled food quicker than I did.

"Busy week last week?" Francis mouthed.

I removed my earphones. I hadn't planned to be away for a week. My mother had an impromptu trip and I was left to take care of my younger sisters.

"I guess you could say that," I answered.

"You're not wearing your glasses," Francis commented.

I smiled. Most people didn't notice. I thought my eyes were so huge, I seemed to be wearing glasses even when I wasn't.

"I only wear them when I'm in front of a computer. More like a filter against the glare. I'd like to think I still have perfect vision," I replied, grinning.

"Cool," Francis replied. "Time to cram and finish this assignment."

Francis and I worked in amicable silence for the next half hour. I was just wrapping up when I noticed that Francis had barely written anything on his paper. There were a few digits and several erasures.

"Do you have Mrs. Lang for Calculus?" I asked.

"Yes, that sea-witch who finds more joy in terrorizing the students than she does imparting tangible knowledge," Francis bemoaned.

"Sea -witch?" I tried not to laugh.

"Doesn't she remind you of the villain in The Little Mermaid?"

I couldn't contain my laugh this time. "Yes! We used to call her Ursula."

"I'm afraid Ursula might drown me if I fail her subject. Exponents and square roots! How are these relevant? Why can't we use calculators?" Francis lamented.

"It will get even more interesting once you tackle parabolas and logarithms," I promised. "Our teacher's barely in the classroom. He gives us problems to solve, leaves the room, tells us the correct answer the following day then schedules a test the day after with the same problems, just different values."

"I wish Mrs. Lang were like that," Francis grumbled.

"Well, he's not exactly teaching anyone," I replied.

"Help?" Francis asked.

I obliged. Francis moved to sit next to me and we tackled the lesson. Francis was a quick learner. Mrs. Lang was just a terrible teacher. The kid was surprised how simple everything was. He didn't realize the lesson was so easy.

"Wow, you're good! You should replace Mrs. Lang!" Francis exclaimed.

I blushed, not used to being praised. I just said, "Seventh grade would not be the same without the terrors of a sea witch."

Then I felt the hair behind my neck stand. I raised my head, looked behind the booth and was surprised when I saw Ice sitting at the other side of the diner.

"Don't mind him," Francis told me. "He's steering clear because he doesn't want to kill us with halitosis."

I chuckled at that. Then hesitantly, I asked, "Where's Markus?"

"He's at the university. Busy month, he said. We'll probably see him on weekends."

"I see," I said. I packed my things and stood. "It's time to go. Good luck on your tests!"

"Meet you back here tomorrow?" Francis asked as he packed his own things.

I smiled at the angel. "Sure."

**

I showed up the following day and continued the comfortable study routine with Francis. I'd helped him with Calculus and Science and he'd kept me company during breakfast so I wouldn't look like a dorky loner.

I noticed that the giant stayed at his table on the other side of the diner. He also brought his books. Sometimes, I'd catch him looking at me. I wondered if he wanted to ask my help with his homework since that was the only reason boys talked with me.

But even though I'd seen him looking my way, he'd kept by himself at his table. He'd open his books, but I had a feeling he wasn't reading them. He'd give me the occasional nod when we would catch each other's eye, but we were yet to talk again.

He was so weird.

**

It was a Saturday and we'd finished our quarterly exams. Francis and I decided to celebrate over pancakes and bacon. We agreed to meet at Big Plate where they also served amazing milkshakes.

I was feeling jittery. I didn't understand why. I'd been fine the entire week. I wondered if I were anxious because Markus might be there although Francis had told me he'd be busy at the university the entire month.

So it wasn't Markus.

I left my hair loose and wore a white shirt and denim shorts. I considered wearing wedges because they made my legs appear longer, but settled on wearing Chucks instead. I wasn't actually trying to look pretty for a twelve year old. First, it would take me a lot of work to look pretty. Second, I wasn't a cradle snatcher.

So why was I fussing?

I showed up at Big Plate and Francis was already there.

With Markus. I was glad I washed my hair that morning and I didn't have to tie it because it wasn't too oily and limp.

Without Ice. I realized it didn't matter I wasn't wearing my four-inch wedges. Not that I could last too long standing in those instruments of torture.

I gave the brothers a small wave and they called me to their table. I slid on the chair opposite them. I smiled at them, but it didn't come out as normal as I wanted it to. I couldn't believe I was about to have pancakes, bacon and milkshakes with the most gorgeous guy on the face of the planet.

"How were the tests, kid?" Markus asked, smiling at me.

Kid. Of course.

"They were okay," I answered shyly.

"I bet you aced them all," Francis said. "You're the smartest girl I know! You helped me with all my lessons and made me understand in a few minutes what those so-called educators had been trying to teach me for months!"

I turned red and bit my lip. "I guess it took me four years to master 7th grade Math. I'm not sure I'll fare as well with the 11th grade tests."

"She's so modest, isn't she, Markus?" Francis said while he wolfed down his pancakes.

Markus was staring at me and I could barely eat. He had this intent way of looking as if he were seeing right through me. Well, he would see right through me. There wasn't anything interesting here but a ball of nerves beneath the surface.

"Yes. That's something our mother had wanted us to learn," he said cryptically.

Markus and Francis started talking with each other about cars and I took that opportunity to enjoy my meal. They caught my attention again when they started talking about basketball.

Once we were done eating, I took out my wallet to pay my share. The place was a bit pricier than the café and I'd be touching my allowance for next month.

Markus stopped me. "My treat. My thanks for helping out Francis."

"It was nothing," I said, still resolved to contribute.

"I insist," Markus replied, placing his hand on mine to stop me from taking out my money. I flushed and withdrew my hand. I suddenly felt so hot and started fanning myself.

Markus grinned at me and settled the bill. And yes, I realized I looked silly fanning myself with my hand.

The three of us stepped out of the café.

"Where are you headed? Maybe we could give you a ride," Francis offered.

"Oh, that's okay. I'm meeting my best friend next door," I responded, flustered. I would love to ride in Markus' car, but it would be silly to ask them to drop me off five meters from where we stood.

Markus stepped next to me and tugged a lock of my hair. "Hope to see you next weekend, moon goddess." Then he winked at me and strode to his car.

"See you, Selene," Francis said then followed his brother.

Moon goddess.

It was cheesy, but I was on cloud nine. I was biting my lip and grinning at the same time as I stared after Teen Gaspard. I probably looked constipated, but I didn't care. A god had called me a goddess.

I was in a trance and slightly drooling that I almost had a heart attack when Yvonne spoke right to my ear, "Aren't you a little old for the cutie?"

"What?" I turned to my best friend, confused.

"The cutie. The blond angel. He's too young for you. Although I guess it would be fine when he turns eighteen. You could be his hot cougar," Yvonne supposed.

"What are you talking about? I'm not a pedophile. Didn't you see his older brother? The one who looked like he stepped out of a GQ magazine?"

"I did," Yvonne replied indifferently. "Heartbreakers aren't my type."

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

6.8K 468 47
* Past my bedtime story Volume 1. * "So, you're some sort of Sandman?" Morpheus closed his eyes at her question. There wasn't a word he hated more...
29.8K 1.3K 21
Two stories, brought together by twists, turns, and a mess of events. (Y/N), a kindly soul from Recoverytale, finds themselves assuming the role of h...
223K 7.2K 57
Long before Hades devised his evil scheme to take over Mount Olympus, he was once married to the beautiful goddess of spring. But seeing as he focuse...
10.7M 408K 85
"Entwined" is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and the Wattpad Books Edition upon purch...