Forever Tides: Ocean of Secre...

By Neaners

Brooke has lived her whole life being the new girl, but that's not her only struggle. When Brooke was 13 she... More

Fins: XChapter 1X
Fins: XChapter 2X
Fins: XChapter 3X
Fins: XChapter5X
Fins: XChapter 6X
Fins: XChapter 7X
Fins: XChapter 8X
Fins: XChapter 9X
Fins: XChapter 10X
Fins: XChapter 11X
Fins: XChapter 12X
Fins: XChapter 13X
Fins: XChapter 14X
Fins: XChapter 15X
Fins: XChapter 16X
Fins: XChapter 17X
Fins: XChapter 18X

Fins: XChapter 4X

1.8K 26 10
By Neaners

Chapter Four

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

          I woke up the next morning feeling like a different person. My entire life I had always been different from everyone else, but now I knew two other people just like me. I never knew how much of a weight would be lifted off my shoulders once someone else found out.

          After getting ready, I hopped down stairs to my kitchen. This morning I had an omlette sitting waiting for me. It was my favorite kind full of seaweed and fish. My mom never made me omlettes on normal days, especially not with fish, so I was curious what the circumstances were.

          “What’s this about?” I asked as I sat down, ready to dig into breakfast. I had already started eating before my mom could answer. “Well, I thought you would need all the energy you can need for your first full day. And well… I am just so happy you made some friends that I couldn’t help but make your favorite breakfast to celebrate!”

          I gave my mom questioning eyes. Was me making friends really that out of the ordinary? I asked myself. As I thought back I did realize that I haven’t really had any friends for the past couple of years. My last friend was Kendal in seventh grade.

          Kendal and I had a special relationship. I had never had a friend like her.  We used to tell each other everything. We didn’t have any secrets that we didn’t tell each other. But seventh grade is when I got certain… developments you could say.

I became for withdrawn from our friendship and she started making rumors about me. I had wished I could tell her what happened, but I felt like this was one secret that I couldn’t share. Kendal could tell I was hiding something and just stopped talking to me.

That was the last time I decided I would get close to someone. After not being able to tell Kendal about being a mermaid, I knew that I would never be as close as I wanted to, to a friend. I just stopped trying after that.

This was the first time I ever realized how long it had been since I had a true friend. I was thirteen when my friendship with Kendal died, and now I was 16. It was only three years, but it felt so much longer. So I just looked at my mom and gave her a big smile, and finished eating my delicious breakfast.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

          When I got to school I went straight to my locker. Once I had the cover of locker I opened up my mind to try to find Clover or Sapphire. Right away my mind was swarmed with people’s thoughts. It was even more overwhelming than last night at my house.

          Suddenly the voices on the outside started to go away. I snapped out of my mind and looked around. My eyes quickly flashed to the clock in the hall. I had thirty seconds to get to class.

          I slammed my locker, my backpack still slung across my shoulder, and darted to homeroom. I got in the door right as the bell rang. My homeroom advisor, Mr. Blackmoore, turned around as I walked into the room. “Ah. And not a second to spare. Why don’t you take you’re seat Miss Soule.”

          I tried to give a small smile and nodded as I walked to the back or the room. I had spotted Clover when I walked in and I was determined to get to her as soon as possible.

          I slipped into my desk and said a quick “Hey.” to Clover. “Where were you?” I could hear the nervousness in Clover’s voice. “Not here, not right now Clover.” She frowned as I turned away. “Fine,” she began. “Then we will do it differently.”

          All of a sudden my mind was wiped. I couldn’t hear my own thoughts. Then there was a ringing. TC Brooke! TC Brooke! I was being requested in mind chat. I couldn’t believe that it was actually working. I opened my mind to Clover.

          Wow Clover! It actually worked! I got my mind to remember that phrase and open to it when it is sent out! I looked over at Clover. Her eyes were closed and concentration was written all over her face. I slowly saw a smile appear and she opened her eyes.

          I smiled back at her and she gave me a wink. I nodded her to talk again. So why were you so late this morning? Did something happen? Did you…change? She sounded really nervous. It was werid to have someone else there I could talk to.

          I was about to think back, but the bell rang before I could. “Nothing happened.” I reassured her. We walked out of homeroom together and I explained how I lost track of time at my locker. She told me to look for her mind in the next class.

          With that we parted ways. When Clover left my side I just realized how fast the hallway filled up. Shoving my nerves aside I took out my schedule. After homeroom I had History on the second floor. I quickly made my way to the stairs. I didn’t want to cut it close again.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

          Lunch didn’t come fast enough. I felt like my classes dragged on. It was nice to converse with Clover in my mind though. But not that it was lunchtime, I would finally get a chance to relax and talk normally.

          As I pushed open the large double doors leading to the lunchroom, a beautiful aroma filled my nose. Fish. I quickly got inline to check out what kind of fish they were serving.

          I grabbed a plate and peered into the containers. I saw salmon, bass, and cod. As I tried to decide my mind suddenly cleared. Clover was trying to get me to hear her again. Should I get salmon or cod?  I thought to her.

          Hmm. Well I got cod and Sapphire got bass so get salmon. I smiled. How I did love salmon. I quickly dished myself a few pieces, a serving of fries, and a glass of water before I opened my mind to Clover again.

          Hey Clover. Where are you guys? I looked around and waited for her response. We are outside at the table closest to the ocean. I closed my mind from her. Why would they go by the ocean?

          I weaved my way through the room to the back doors. Once I walked outside the salty sea air filled my lungs. All of a sudden I forgot what I was outside for and just walked toward the ocean.

          I cant explain what filled this sudden urge, but I couldn’t stop it. I was about to walk off the campus when I started hearing someone yelling and as soon as I was in a trance I was out.

          Clover and Sapphire were infront of me. “What the hell Brooke!” Sapphire was tense with rage. “What do you think you were doing?” I made my way over to the table  their stuff was at. “I really don’t know what happened. I just stepped outside and when I smelled the sea I was in a trance. I couldn’t control it!”

          I nibbled on my salmon, but I didn’t have much of an appetite anymore. Clover touched my hand. “Has this ever happened to you before Brooke? Should we be worried about you?” I looked up and met her eyes. They searched me with nervousness.

          “I swear this has never happened to me before!” I said. Sapphire sighed. I could tell she has something on her mind. Why is that happening to Brooke? It is like the exact same thing that happened to me when I started as a Freshman here. Something is right about all of this.

          “Sapphire!” I said. She looked at me confused. “Oh don’t give me that look! I heard what you thought. What do you mean this has happened to you?” Sapphire’s face turned red. I searched her face for any other emotions but all I could see was anger. I noticed her fists starting to clench.

“You were eavesdropping!  How could you do that to me!”

“Don’t make yourself look like the victim! You are hiding something from us and I know it!”

“I don’t like to be accused!”

“And I don’t like to be lied to…”

          At that Sapphire put her head down and I saw a single tear run down her cheek. “OK, fine.” She said. “When I was a freshman here the same thing happened to me. When I first went outside I got pulled to the water. I missed class all day and didn’t get home until late that night. Ever since then I knew something was up with this school.”

          Clover and I looked at each other. Confusion was spread all over her face, and I am sure it was the same for me. So maybe us all meeting here wasn’t just some weird coincidence. I thought to myself.

          “So what does this mean?” Clover asked.  “I don’t know.” For the first time ever, Sapphire looked scared. We all sat there and just looked around at each other. The bell jolted us all out of our thoughts.

          “Keep your minds open to me guys.” I said. “I need to be able to be able to find your guys’ minds quickly if needed.” They both nodded and then we all parted our separate ways.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

          It felt like days had passed, when it was only hours. I couldn’t wait until my only class with Clover and Sapphire. I walked into the Mythology room full of purpose. I looked around searching for my friends.

          Sapphire was writing something down in her notebook when I came in, but Clover saw me right away. She waved me over with an urgent look in her eyes.

          “We may have a problem.” She said as I approached. Sapphire looked up at me and gave me a little nod before going back to her notes. “What’s the problem, then?” I asked quickly.

          Now Sapphire had closed her notebook and was looking right into my eyes. I saw Clover glance down at a book. Sapphire handed it to me. “Look at our first unit, Brooke.” She said. I took the book and read the heading.

Mythical Creatures of the Sea

          “You do know what this means?” Sapphire insisted. She glanced around before she and Clover leaned in. “Mermaids”.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

609 120 15
Ocean, 15 year old wakes up one morning to find that the whole world has fallen into a trance of sleep except 3 other teenagers who also want to fin...
208 3 75
Think you know mermaids? Think again. (Think underwater Twilight) **** "Our waters are changing. We've known it for a while now. We can sense it. We...
90K 2.8K 24
Piper has never had it easy. Her father passed away, then her mother became a drunk, and Piper had to pretty much raise herself. With only one friend...
1.3K 119 37
Coral Wall,16 normal girl , well not till the day she was at the beach with her two younger sisters , something strange dragged her into a whole new...