Memories (a Newtmas fanfictio...

By bajan_asf

Thomas finds himself in a strange box in an unknown place. He is greeted by unfamiliar faces, in which he so... More

Chapter One - The Glade
Chapter Two - End of the Day
Chapter Three - The First Day
Chapter Four - Minho's Guide to Running
Chapter Five - The Hour of 2AM
Chapter Six - My New Runner Friend
Chapter Seven - The Changing
Chapter Eight - Lone Runner
Chapter Nine - For me.
Chapter Eleven - The Break of Dawn
Chapter Twelve - Medical Miracle
Chapter Thirteen - It All Makes Sense
Chapter Fourteen - New Arrangements
Chapter Fifteen - Learning to Walk
Chapter Sixteen - The Next Month
Chapter Seventeen - It Can't Be True
Chapter Eighteen - In Hiding
Chapter Nineteen - Sneaking Out?
Chapter Twenty - Getting Answers
Chapter Twenty One - Falling Apart
Chapter Twenty Two - The Tables Have Turned
Chapter Twenty Three - Date Much?
Chapter Twenty Four - I've Lost Him
Chapter Twenty Five - Too Far Gone
Chapter Twenty Six - A Deal with the Devil
Chapter Twenty Seven - He Still Cares
Chapter Twenty Eight - Are You Out of Your Mind?
Chapter Twenty Nine - Is It That Obvious?
Chapter Thirty - Reunited
Chapter Thirty One - The Truth
Epilogue

Chapter Ten - If We Make It Out Alive

878 114 72
By bajan_asf

Thomas' POV

I turn the final corner and my mind screams with delight.  Newt was there, waiting for me at the other end of the Maze.  I try my best to be any faster, sadly I of course fail.

"Thomas!  The doors!" Newt cries out to me, a very worried expression plastered on his face. 

"I'm not going to make it!" I loudly huff out back. 

"Bloody run damnit!" Newt influences my next horrible decision. 

With my last bit of energy I force my self to try to forget about the pain and just run.  Within the first few steps I tumble to the hard ground. 

I cry out in pain swearing my head off as I struggle.  I clutch my throbbing foot as the grim thoughts sink in.  That's it.  I'm dead.  I'll be out here alone.  At night.  I'll be gone forever. . .

I look down and begin to fully cry. 

Then a dust cloud is shot up into my face, I look up.  It was Newt.  Newt is inside the maze, and the doors are closed. 

"You just killed yourself." I sniffle.

He nods.

"For me."

"For you." he slide over closer to me. 

"Why would you do that, I-I thought you hated me after what happened."  I wipe my tears away.

"That was all my fault Thomas.  I should've not been such a slinthead myself.  It wasn't fair to you, you didn't know any better." he looks me in the eye.

"Know what?" I question quietly.

"Nevermind that for now." he dismisses the question.

"Alright," I give in. "Why did you come and try to be my hero?"

"I think I've taken a liking to you, Thomas." Newt smiles up at me then quickly looks down at the ground.

"Y-You like me?" My heart beats faster than it ever had before and I can feel my face burn with red. 

"I know, a moody shank like me, not much of a catch." he laughs.

"N-No, you're right."

He looks up, "What'd you say?"

"I-I like you too, Newt.  I have since day one.  I just didn't know it." I confess scratching my neck in nervousness.

He sighs in relief, "Well that lifts ten stones of my shoulders." 

"Yeah what you said." I laugh going to move closer to him but being held back by my injury.

"Oh yeah, my leg is still messed up pretty bad." I gesture to it.

"Join the party." he smiles.  I've never really noticed how much I like his smile.  Or really, how much I like just seeing him be actually happy for once.

"Thomas?  You know it's quite rude to stare." he playfully lectures me.

I shake my head vigorously, I didn't realize I was. 

I chuckle slightly, blushing and tease back by saying, "Like you wouldn't do the same!"

We both laugh but are soon interrupted by an ear piercing noise, coming from deeper within the maze.

"Newt?"

"We've got to go Thomas!" he goes as quick as he can to reach me. 

The noise sounds itself again, yet this time, closer. 

I clench my teeth and push through the pain.  All at once it hinders me immobile.

"I-I can't Newt!"  I tell him.  "You need to get out of here!" I look up at him.

"To hell with that bloody idea!  You're coming with me, I'm not letting you die out here Thomas."  he extends his hand forward.

We lock hands and he groans as he works to pull me upright.  I try to hold in my cries in attempt to not notify the grievers where we were, but the pain is to immense. 

"Newt I can't walk, never mind run.  It's no use!  Leave me." I look him in the eye.

"If you're not going to walk, you're getting carried." he puts his body under my arm and leans my body over his.

"You can't go all the way with me like this!  Not with your leg!" I complain, scared that Newt will die all because of me.

"I can and I will!  Now slim it Thomas!" he snaps at me. 

I refrain from struggling anymore, I figure it's no help to my situation to argue out in plain sight.  Newt drags me along through different corridors, trying to avoid the terrible creatures that lurk inside these walls.  Just when we think we can catch a break, that same blood curdling sound echoes through the hallway we're in. 

"Newt!"  I exclaim seeing a slowly closing maze wall and point.  "If we hurry we can go through there and escape from this griever." I suggest and try to edge towards it.

Newt forcefully pulls me back and our faces end up barely five inches apart.  With the utter most serious expression on his face he tells me, "That is not an option, we hide."

"But, wait --"

Before I could even finish my sentence he grabs my waist and pulls me back toward the ivy.  He sits me down and pulls a bit of vines free from the wall. 

"Here, cover your entire body in these then lie completely still.  Have you got it?" he crouches down and whispers, while still on alert for any hideous beasts heading our way.  I nod. 

I struggle to lean my body flat against the wall but manage in the end.  I disperse the ivy to camouflage myself, Newt does the same on the wall right across from me.

Another beastly scream startles Newt and he jumps a bit.  "Shhh...  It's coming." I mouth and motion to the other end of the hall with my eyes.

And come it does.  Eight metallic looking, spider-like legs carry the body of the hairy, slimy, disgusting griever.  It creeps along, looking for prey as it lurks.  With each step it takes, a cringe-worthy clang is made, upping the tension ever so slightly. 

I see Newt moving a bit, I can tell he is scared out of his mind.  His eyes dart back and forth between my own and the gigantic monster.  Every moment or so I can hear his quick breathing, and see his body shake. 

I try to calm him down somehow without drawing attention to myself by using hand gestures.  It seems useless so I whisper across to him. 

"Newt it's okay, we're going to get out of here, I promise."  I console him, the quietest I possibly can. 

Within a near second the griever spins around, moving itself closer to my side. 

"Shit shit shit."  I think to myself. 

The ugly thing sticks it's razor sharp teeth filled face closer and closer to my wall's ivy.  I hold my breath and tense up as I can start to smell the putrid scent from the grievers mouth.  I shut my eyes and hope to god. 

If anything happens to me, please, just let Newt live. 

I'm going to die, this is it.  I wait for darkness to take over and for me to end up in some bright white room but it never happens.

My thoughts are interrupted by a small hard click, over to my right.  The griever instantly turns away to the source of the sound.  I loosen up a bit and see a small rock on the ground that wasn't there before.  I look at Newt, he nods. 

"Thank you." I mouth silently. 

We wait it out until the griever heads to another corridor.  Once we deemed it as safe, we came out of the ivy.  Newt comes over to me and pulls me up by his hand. 

"That was close." he nervously laughs softly, after I am standing. 

Without even thinking I throw my arms around him and embrace Newt in a tight hug. 

"Oh, hey, I'm glad you're alive too, Thomas."  Newt smiles and says in a bit of shock but wraps his arms around me as well. 

I pull back and realize I am smiling like an idiot.  Get it together Thomas, you're still in the maze, remember?  Impending death sound familiar to you?

"Uh, I think'd be best if we headed along." Newt scratches his arm awkwardly.

"Huh?" I mutter still in a haze.  "Oh, oh yeah, lead the way." I snap myself out of it.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Hey there :) So. I LOVE YOU GUYS! 1.1K reads already!!! That's honestly ridiculous ;D I love reading all your comments and feedback about this story, it's amazing how you're all loving it so far <3

Again, THANK YOU!  (AND MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE!)

(This chapter is dedicated to IshyFishy12355 because she is unbelievably amazing and nice and all of the above positive adjectives :)  She is a fantastic artist and has great taste in music too!  Please go check her profile out xx) 

Comment?

Vote?

Follow?

"No one has ever survived a night in the maze." (Well suck it because Tommy and Newt just did, byeeeee)
~ Nicole <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

119K 5K 25
⠀ 𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒆𝒎𝒊𝒔¹ ╱ 迷路. she was fragile like a 𝒃𝒐𝒎𝒃. ━...
85.2K 1.5K 31
Skylar got sent up to the Glade the same way everyone else was sent up. In a moving box. There are three things different about her though, 1. She's...
56.7K 1.3K 32
Living in the Scorch has not been easy for (Y/n), but she manages to get by. With her father Jorge beginning to loose control of their compound, she'...
2.9K 30 12
Book 1 of 3 In which Maeve finds herself waking up in a box surrounded by a bunch of boys with no memory at all. Fearing her safety she promises hers...