How I Met You

modernism által

"Hey." It all started with that three lettered word in a mysterious text from an unknown California... Több

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six Teaser
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine

Chapter Forty Four

28.2K 642 257
modernism által

See that external link? I'd tap that. ;)

-Chapter Forty Four-

Okay, let me catch you up...

Two weeks. Yes, a full two weeks. That's how long it's been since the breakup.

Jake and I weren't on speaking terms at all. In my opinion, we had nothing to talk about.

Brent and I, on the other hand... We've kind of been seeing each other... Not like boyfriend and girlfriend or anything. We've just been hanging out a lot more, at least three to four times a week, maybe even more. Just as friends, of course. The only reason we wouldn't hang out was because either of us would be busy with something else.

We haven't kissed at all since that last time at his apartment, but I have to admit it, I really did want to kiss him again. Sometimes, I thought he was going to kiss me, but in the end, I would figure out he was just teasing me... He even knew how he got my heartbeat going faster than its usual pace.

On occasions, I would even tease him, just for the heck of it. But I always wondered if I had the same effect on him as he had on me.

I have to admit, he was a really sweet guy. He joked around a lot, but always knew how to make me smile, even when I didn't want to.

Maybe I have a slight crush on him... okay, to be honest, maybe a little more than "slight."

* * *

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no!" Danielle yelled at me. "Are you crazy?"

"What!?" I replied in the same volume. "It's not that bad."

"What do you mean, It's not that bad!?" She closed her eyes, sucking in a big breath of air, then exhaling. "This is a nightmare, Alex."

"No it's not, Dan. You think it's a nightmare!"

"You liking Brent!?-that sounds like a nightmare to me."

"That is pretty bad, Alex. I was just starting to warm up to you and Jake being together," Lily implied.

I glared at the two of them. I had just confessed to them that I did have some kind of attraction to Brent and that I may even have a slight crush on him. Now they react like this!

"See? Lily agrees! I am a total Jalex shipper! And that's the only thing I will ever ship." Danielle shook her head and crossed her arms over her chest. "I forbid you to like Brent."

"Well you know what? Jalex is completely over." I said with an emotionless expression. The night after the breakup had occurred I told the girls everything about the incident since they weren't there to witness it themselves. Sure, Lily was there for part of it, but not the whole thing. "And so what if I want to move on? I do like Brent, and he is a really nice guy."

"Alex stop saying that! You do not like Brent! You know you're just kidding yourself. You know the only reason you're acting like you like him was because he was there so many times for you after Jake left you at the party." Danielle said, fuming. "I know you. You're still not over Jake, just admit it."

"I can't because that's not true!"

"Then look me dead in the eye and say it. Say you're not over Jake."

I clenched my jaw. "Dang it, Danielle! Why are you so stubborn?"

"See! You can't say it. You know that you may have an attraction to Brent, but if you had to choose, you would pick Jake in a heartbeat."

I turned around and sat down on the couch with a plop, knowing fully well she was right.

Then, the thought of my phone came to mind. Even after two weeks, I still haven't built up the courage to go and get it. I didn't even want to see his face. Maybe today would be the day that I went to see him.

It's been a while, hasn't it? I have never gone this long since we first met without talking to him.

I needed my phone... and the only way to get it was if I went to Jake's house myself. I wasn't going to send one of my friends because that would just show that I was a coward.

"I'll be back," I said to them, standing up again. I made my decision.

"Where are you going now? To see Brent?" Danielle scrunched up her nose as she said Brent's name.

"No, to go see Jake... to get my phone back... only for my phone." I spun on my heel and walked toward the door.

~*~

I stood on the doorstep of Jake's house. I could feel my hands shaking at my sides. What am I going to say? Uh... I didn't think this through. You only want your phone, that's all.

I raised a shaky hand to the door and knocked three times. The door creaked open, revealing a pretty, tall woman. This was Jake's mom. I've met her only one time before. I still haven't met his dad.

His mom had dark brown hair, blue eyes, and a slim body. She was a petite lady who always dressed properly and classy. I remembered her name as Aria. "Hello, Alex. I didn't expect you. Jake didn't mention anything about you coming today." She smiled.

So then, Jake never told her about the breakup? "He didn't expect me either," I laughed nervously, "I just kind of came. I need to talk to him... is he home?"

"Yes. He's up in his room. You can go up if you want to. Come in, sweetie."

I didn't really want to go upstairs into his bedroom. I was kind of hoping that he could just come out here. Reluctantly, I forced a smile and nodded. I vaguely remembered where his room was, but I managed to get there. I had only been here once before.

I rapped on his door. A few seconds passed. My heartbeat picked up its pace, hearing his footfalls as he neared the door. Holding my breath, I watched as the doorknob twisted counterclockwise. The door opened.

He stood there, basically the same as I'd last seen him. Blue and back pajama pants, thin, wrinkled grey t-shirt, and a pair of grey socks was what he was wearing. His eyes widened for a fraction of a second before he composed himself. His eyes were dull. They weren't the bright green that I was used to, but I think I saw them get lighter by just a tad bit when he looked at me... It may have just been my imagination. So many emotions swarmed through them, and I knew my eyes held the same expression.

Was I really over him? I questioned myself. I didn't know the answer to it. No, I knew it, I was just afraid to admit it to myself.

"Alex?" His brows were furrowed in question.

"Yeah, it's me..." I cleared my throat and looked down at the carpet. Was coming here a bad mistake? It seemed like it. I didn't know what to say. How about, can I have my phone back?

The words just weren't coming out of my mouth. It's like they were permanently lodged at the back of my throat. I knew I should've planned this beforehand. I looked up, taking my gaze off of the floor, and focused on him.

I did miss him. I really did. I missed his eyes, his voice, the way he laughed, the way he teased me, his kisses, and that million dollar smile of his.

I could probably name a billion things that I missed about him. I suppressed the smile that almost came onto my lips as memories flooded my mind.

Don't smile. He broke your heart, remember?

"Why are you here?" he asked. It sounded a bit rude, but I knew he didn't mean for it to come out that way.

"My phone," I replied simply, my lips formed a straight line. Straightforward. Good. "That's all I'm here for."

"Oh." He frowned down at me before going back into his room, and coming back only seconds later with my iPhone.

"Thanks." I took my phone from him and pocketed it. I wish I could say more to him, but it seemed unnecessary. I came here for one reason―one reason only―and I've already completed that task. I raked my eyes over his features, over every detail, and stored the image in my mind... just in case I didn't see him again anytime soon.

I muttered a goodbye, and made my way back down the hall, out the front door, with a bye to Mrs. Aria, and back to my car.

A million words were left unsaid, I realized.

It didn't take long for a single tear to make its way down my cheek. I sighed and put the car in reverse, then exited the Carter property.

~*~

As soon as I walked through the back door and into the basement, the girls bombarded me with questions. I wasn't in the mood to answer all of them, but I did anyway, knowing they would force me to.

"How was it?" "What was his reaction when he saw you?" "What did you say?" "What did he say?" "Did he look sad?" "Did you two kiss?" "Did you realize that you're in love with him?"

I stopped them there.

"Whoa! Take a break and breathe, would you? My goodness." They sat down on the couch. I sat down in the middle of the two.

"Well?" Danielle asked.

"It went fine. He was shocked when he opened his door, but who wouldn't be? All I did was ask for my phone, and he gave it to me. No we did not kiss. No, he did not look sad. And in love with him? Yeah right." I scowled at them. "Happy now?"

"Yes," they clarified simultaneously.

"Good," I huffed out.

"She's totally in love with him," Danielle whispered.

"I am not! I never have been―not even when we were dating. And I am sure I never will be!"

"Yeah, okay," Lily commented.

"Will you two stop? Please? I am not in love with Jake!"

"When will she see it, Lily?" Danielle asked.

"I don't know... she's very stubborn."

"I am not stubborn either!" I let out an audible grunt and stood up. "If you need me, I'll be in my room."

"What's up your panties today?" London inquires

"She wishes it was Jake," Danielle replied, snickering at her remark.

I scowled at Danielle and walked off to my room, ignoring the girls' comments that they whispered back in forth, purposely loud enough so that I could hear.

I slammed my door upon walking into my room and lay down on my bed. Ugh, those two. They really need to learn how to stop. I was obviously not in love with Jake as they claimed. Why would I be? He's a jerk. I could see that now. He used me to get over Audrey, and heck, that didn't even work.

Sucks to go through all of that for reason, I bet. Why did he waste his time on me, then?

With that question still confusing me, I pulled out my phone and texted Brent.

"I got my phone back. :)"

Soon, not three minutes later, he replied. "You actually went to go see him?"

"Yeah, I know. Shocker, right?" I had replied.

"Definitely xD So, are we still up for today?"

I thought about it. Brent and I had planned to go out somewhere today. Did I feel like going at this point, though? I could probably use some cheering up after my visit to see Jake, so, why not.

"Of course :)"

"Alright. Well, in that case, I'll come pick you up in around an hour. Sound good?"

"Yep! See you then. Bye!"

"Bye. ;)"

I smiled at the text before going to put on something weather appropriate. It was pretty out today. It wasn't too hot, or too chilly. Just warm with a slight breeze.

I walked to my closet, humming a tune as I searched for something to wear. I picked out a loose-fitting, white-striped, transparent shirt with a dark grey camisole tank to wear under it and a pair of grey skinny jeans.

Before changing, I went to the bathroom and redid my ponytail, washed my face, and put light makeup on.

I did actually really like Brent. But... I don't know, it was confusing. Especially with Jake. Seeing him today just made so many more emotions rise to the surface.

I really wasn't sure about him. Two percent of me was screaming for me to realize that I wasn't over him, that I still wanted him. Telling me that I still wanted his kisses, his teasing, his embrace... okay, don't get carried away here, Alex. The other ninety-eight percent was convinced that I should move on and leave Jake behind... I really didn't know what to do. It was just the fact that even a little part of me wanted to get back together with Jake stopped me from going out and dating Brent.

Sure, I liked the guy, but was it worth it? Plus, he was Jake's best friend, and it just didn't seem right. Well, I don't know if their exactly still best friends after Jake beat the living fladoodles out him...

I waited for Brent's arrival patiently in my room with too many thoughts racing through my mind. If Jake and I ever did get back together, I knew it just wouldn't be the same. What would exactly change though? I didn't know for a fact, but that was just a matter to find out in the future. Assuming we did get back together.

Then, there was Brent and I. What would happen if we became a real couple? Would I just completely forget about Jake? Would we still be friends at all? How would everyone react to Brent being my boyfriend? Obviously, Danielle and Lily wouldn't like it one bit.

How would everyone else react?

Once again, I didn't know, and it was just another matter to find out in the future.

"Alex!" Lily called from the lounge area outside of my bedroom. "Your boyfriend is here!"

A blush spread across my face. Brent is not my boyfriend.

I rolled my eyes at her before sprinkling just a little bit of Pure Seduction, my favorite perfume from Victoria's Secret, on. Don't mind the name. I wasn't trying to seduce Brent or anything along those lines. I just really liked the scent of this spray.

Coming out of my room, I walked into the main area of the basement where the two girls and Brent stood.

Brent was wearing a blue and green V-neck tee, a pair of shorts, and a pair of blue-ish, green Vans. He had a jacket slung over one of his arms. His hair was messily done, as always, and his blue-green eyes shone bright.

He smiled when his eyes connected with mine. "Hey," he greeted.

I returned his smile. "Hi, Brent." I turned to Lily, frowning.

"What? I'm innocent."

Rolling my eyes at her, I gave Brent a quick hug and as I was pulling away, I heard Danielle make a sound at the back of throat in disgust. Brent didn't seem to notice.

Ignoring her, I questioned Brent. "Shall we go?"

"We shall." We laughed and walked out of the house... don't forget the glare that I sent Danielle as I closed the door behind me.

Author's Note: Ew. This chapter was just... ew... I mean, I think I did a really bad job on this, and I will probably change a lot of it, especially the ending, later. xP What did you think? And, I made a poll for you to vote who you like better, Jalex or Bralex. xD Take your vote; link is in the external link. First person to comment, blah, blah. You know the drill ;D xx

~Storylover11~

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

54.7K 9.1K 68
නුඹ නිසා දැවුණි.....💙 නුඹෙන් මා නිවෙමි......💙
38.6K 1.6K 18
"Show me somethin' different once, I come from where there's no love." COPYRIGHT 23. #1 ATLANTA 05/01/2024 🏆
real freaky shii által

Ifjúsági irodalom

28.6K 103 15
just know it's gonna make you hella wet🤭
99.8K 4.7K 39
ငယ်ငယ်ကတည်းက ရင့်ကျက်ပြီး အတန်းခေါင်းဆောင်အမြဲလုပ်ရတဲ့ ကောင်လေး ကျော်နေမင်း ခြူခြာလွန်းလို့ ကျော်နေမင်းက ပိုးဟပ်ဖြူလို့ နာမည်ပေးခံရတဲ့ ကောင်မလေး နေခြ...