OverTime 03: Slipping (First...

By VonJocks

"And they lived happily ever--uh oh." Time traveler Elizabeth, aka "Lillabit," hardly expects miracles from... More

Chapter 01 - A City of Two Tales (Lillabit)
Chapter 03: Beware of Sheep (Lillabit)
Chapter 04: Ash Hollow (Garrison)
Chapter 05: My Wedding Reception (Lillabit)
Chapter 06: Struck (Garrison)
Chapter 07: The Coming Storm (Lillabit)
Chapter 08: Lightning (Garrison)
Chapter 09: Going to the West (Lillabit)
Chapter 10: The Planting (Garrison)
Chapter 11: Reasons to Stay (Lillabit)
Chapter 12: Mud (Garrison)
Chapter 13: Sleep and Other Deprivations (Lillabit)
Chapter 14: Wives (Garrison)
Chapter 15: That Slutty Betsy from Pike (Lillabit)
Chapter 16: Pumpkin Creek (Garrison)
Ch. 17: Clementine Drowns and Lillabit Surfaces (Lillabit)
Ch. 18: Foreboding (Garrison)
Ch. 19: Freight Train (Lillabit)
Ch. 20: The Charge (Garrison)
Ch. 21: Cowgirl Lillabit (Lillabit)
Ch. 22: The Tent (Garrison) - rated M for Mature
Ch. 23: The Madwoman in the Tent (Lillabit)
Chapter 24: Nebraska Morning (Garrison)
Chapter 25: Your Friendly Neighborhood Client-Relations Facilitator (Lillabit)
Chapter 26: Useless (Garrison)
Chapter 27: Lady Sings the Blues (Lillabit)
Chapter 28: Choices (Garrison)
Chapter 29: Defying Gravity (Lillabit)
Chapter 30: Into Wyoming (Garrison)
Chapter 31: My Symbolic Cow (Lillabit)
Chapter 32: Morality (Garrison)
Chapter 33: Down by the Riverside (Lillabit) -- rated M for Mature
Chapter 34: Cavalry (Garrison)
Chapter 35: Paying by the Word (Lillabit)
Chapter 36: Post Trader (Garrison)
Chapter 37: Hashtag Fort Laramie (Lillabit) - WARNING - Language
Chapter 38: Downed Lines (Garrison)
Chapter 39: The Promise (Lillabit)
Chapter 40: Losing Cooper (Garrison)
Chapter 41: Money Trouble (Lillabit)
Chapter 42: Not Right (Garrison)
Chapter 43: The Wait is Over (Lillabit)
Chapter 44: Guns (Garrison)
Chapter 45: Three, Two, One (Lillabit)
Chapter 46: Dead Man (Garrison)
Chapter 47: Footprints in the Frost (Lillabit)
Chapter 48: Sleep Come Winter (Garrison)
Chapter 49: Asylum (Lillabit)
Chapter 50: Lightning Creek (Garrison)
Chapter 51: Underwater (Lillabit)
Chapter 52: Ruminating (Garrison) -- WARNING! Offensive/Racist Language
Chapter 53: The Southern Strategy (Lillabit)
Chapter 54: Doing His Job (Garrison) - WARNING: More racist talk
Chapter 55: What Have I Done? (Lillabit) -- warning, F-words
Chapter 56: Nooning (Garrison)
Chapter 57: Should I Stay or Should I Go--d'd'd'd'd'd'd' dum (Lillabit)
Chapter 58: Letters (Garrison)
Chapter 59: The Only Option (Lillabit) -- warning, f-words
Chapter 60: Changeable (Garrison)
Chapter 61: Leavin' on a Sorrel (Elizabeth)
Chapter 62: Overheard (Garrison)
Chapter 63: Under the Stars (Lillabit) -- WARNING: Sexual situations
Chapter 64: Lookout (Garrison)
Chapter 65: Going Down (Lillabit)
Chapter 66: Prepared (Garrison)
Chapter 67: Summation ... of sorts (Lillabit)
Chapter 68: Outsider (Garrison)
Chapter 69: Slade's Grand Finale. Maybe. (Lillabit)

Chapter 02: Leaving Ogallala (Garrison)

105 5 0
By VonJocks

As he rode out of Ogallaly, Jacob Garrison felt... unsettled.

He did not appreciate feelings in general. He especially disliked this one.

He could not fault the weather. A faint breeze, west-northwest, eased the usual Nebraska heat in a manner that, barring storms, would benefit man and beast alike. He could not blame the town, despite the excesses of carnival season, because he was leaving it well behind.

But he was bringing along the girl. The wife.

Garrison resented tasks he could not do well. Husbanding was one of them. He liked the girl well enough, perhaps too much. They'd sinned against God and the law in making the baby she carried, but likely the wedding put things right with God. As for the law....

Well, he'd never much approved of the saying that there was no law west of the Brazos and no God west of the Pecos. But legality was a different animal on the frontier.

Not two arm-spans away, the wife leaned forward in her sidesaddle to whisper at her sorrel gelding, treating it like a pet. She thought Garrison had kept the horse for some sentimental reason, but if she had not married him, he would have sold it from pure cussedness. He did not want to disillusion her, and so endured the ill-fit of false praise, instead.

I honestly don't know whether to hug you or hit you.

His wife thought a lot of foolish things and spoke too many of them. She wore her brown hair pulled back, like a schoolgirl's, despite their marriage. When she laughed, she laughed honestly, showing dimples and fine teeth. She'd proven surprisingly amiable to their marriage--and their marriage bed. She confused him. But he did not want to see her foolish pleasure fade any sooner than it must.

So Garrison did not tell her what Shanghai Pierce, the wealthy rancher who had given up his hotel room, had relayed.

"Met a fellow in Chicago," Pierce had said, while the girl visited the necessary. "Asked 'bout you."

"Me." Garrison knew nobody in Chicago.

"In fact," continued Pierce, "he asked about you in connection to your fiancée--I assume he meant Mrs. Garrison? Said she'd left you and the western territories both. He was looking for her."

Garrison had felt an unwelcome, prickly feeling at that. The scent of Comanche in the wind. The shiver of an enemy soldier drawing bead on him. The foreboding made little sense, standing in a hotel. But he hadn't survived thirty-nine years by ignoring such instincts. "Chicago got a name?"

And Pierce had said, "The man called himself Callahan."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

118K 4.1K 35
June Hazard grew up around bucking bulls her whole life. Her dating life is a lot less complicated than training and caring for over twenty of these...
30K 675 16
Modern day AU of Divergent characters. Tris just graduated college and is taking the summer off. She is spending it on her grandparent's ranch, Daun...
25.5K 1.3K 44
**Book 2 in the Coda Paxton Series** From the very moment I met Oakley Meisner, I knew my life was going to change, big time. As if my world wasn't m...
372K 15.9K 38
**Be aware that this is a manXman story so if that bothers you then please don't read! 5th in Breaking Series. There are certain things that make a...