The Waitress and the Wolf (Bo...

By ImmaNarwhal_nbd

Having been a runaway at 16, Venus makes her living as a waitress in a small town, with small minded people... More

Chapter 1. Table 4
Chapter 2. Appearances
Chapter 3. Blue Eyes
Chapter 4. Letters
Chapter 5. The Fourth Letter
Chapter 6. Last Night
Chapter 8. Day 5
Chapter 9. Bake-Off
Chapter 10. Repercussions
Chapter 11. The Beast
Chapter 12. Intimate
Chapter 13. The Guardian
Chapter 14. Birthday Party
Chapter 15. Fire
Chapter 16. Trapped
Chapter 17. Shaken
Authors note 1
Chapter 18. Questions
Chapter 19. The Call
Chapter 20: Like Chicago part 1/2
Chapter 20: Like Chicago part 2/2
Chapter 21: Surprise part 1/2
Chapter 21: Surprise Part 2/2
Chapter 22. Awakened
Chapter 23. Flicker
Hey
Chapter 24. Feeling Red
Chapter 25. Maybe
Chapter 26. On Her Terms
Chapter 27. Trust in Me
Chapter 28. Crisis
Chapter 29. Where We Belong
Chapter 30. Venus Fly Trap
Chapter 31. The Guardian
Chapter 32. The End

Chapter 7. Cold Shoulders

7.8K 267 31
By ImmaNarwhal_nbd

Don't hate me for this cuz the pic is of Demetri's house and YES IK IT'S SIMS OKAY XD

It's been 2 days and no word from Demetri. I was both annoyed and proud of myself for keeping up my usual routines. Annoyed because a part of me wanted him to bother me some more and pop in whenever he wanted and proud because hey, I was proving that I really was independent.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Will asked as he stood over me. I wiped the table one last time and frowned.

"Yes, I just got way too drunk."

I didn't tell Will the whole story. I wasn't lying, I was just keeping some of it hidden. I didn't like keeping things from him, he was my friend and I began to feel a little guilty. But I didn't need him to follow along Marge's and Moira's thoughts of Demetri being shady and dangerous.

Speaking of Moira, I hadn't seen her all day. She didn't even come into work, so maybe she too had witnessed the horrible effects of drinking. I made it a point to see her later. 

"But you just left out of nowhere. You really freaked me out. Moira and her boyfriend didn't tell me what happened cuz they also dipped on me."

Will had a sour look on his face and I honestly didn't blame him. We all seemed to have left a very drunken Will in that bar without any explanation.

"I'm sorry Will, I am. I didn't mean to freak you out, but it's okay, I just wasn't in my right mind. I walked outside then just walked home." I lied through my teeth. Sure, Demetri had told me he was in the area, but a part of me still felt skeptical about if that's what really happened.

"It's okay, just don't leave your friend a bar with two gay guys hitting on him and having no way out as his friends ditch. Got it?" He asked. I laughed at him. "Awe, I'm sure you didn't dislike the attention," I teased, walking to the back.

He followed me with a scowl. "Hey, no, I'm not into that."

"It's totally cool if you are, you know me and Moira are very accepting."

"Not funny," He said with a pout.

"So funny," I replied. 

-

The day was going by eerily slowly. Marge was even so bored she began to do her makeup again in the back of the kitchen where she pulled out a compact mirror from inside her bra. Will resulted to playing some music on his phone, and I began to read that book from the library at table 4. 

The door dinged, and in walked a customer. Well at least it gave us all something to do. I closed the book, put it on the table, and walked up to the front to greet the man.

"Just you?" I asked, pulling out a notepad. "No, another will be joining me."

I looked up and grimaced. The familiar dark hair and pointed nose brought me back to the library where he had been screaming at Richard. "You," I mumbled. I shut my mouth, realizing that was incredibly rude and unprofessional. 

Narrowing his beady eyes at me, he seemed to be recognizing who I was. "You're the girl from the library, aren't you?" He asked, his voice reminding me of a slithering snake. I nodded, keeping my distance from him. He made my skin crawl, whether or not he was trying was beyond me.

"I apologize for the scene you saw that day."

I stared at him, skeptical of his apology. It seemed like most people I had been dealing with lately seemed to be falling short of the remorseful scale.

I held my breath as he held his hand out. Hesitating, I shook it and felt a darkness loom around the room. I did my best not to recoiled immediately. He noticed it too, but said nothing as I led him to a table. He sat down with ease, his business suit barely folding as he walked.

"How many others did you say would be joining you?" I asked. 

"Just one."

"Can I get anything started for you?"  I asked him. He studied the menu for a second. "A basket of fries and a strawberry milkshake. Extra whip-cream."

I nodded, though it seemed funny that's what he was going to order. 

I turned my back, aware of the fact his eyes seemed to be on me the whole time. I walked into the back, feeling like I was safer back here. Though he didn't scream murderer or killer like Diego and his partner in crime, something made him stand out like a sore thumb in a crowd. I began to gather that he somewhat reminded me of Demetri.

"You gonna get that, or let it get cold?" Marge suddenly asked. I shook myself out of my trance and turned to take the trey of fries from her. She blinked her plastered green eyeshadowed eyes at me and popped her gum.

"My bad,"  I murmured. 

"It's alright, I hear you had quite a bit of fun last night at Joes," She scoffed, her voice filled with little amusement. I stared at her in puzzlement, but none-the-less, took the fries and left the kitchen. I walked out with the basket of fried potatoes in my palm and set them on the table. 

He had put on some reading glasses and had two papers he seemed to be filling out. He looked like your average workaholic businessman, but why did it feel like he was so much more?

"The milkshake will be out soon," I said lightly. He looked up at me and nodded before returning to his work. I left the table and returned to my safe haven in the kitchen. I frowned when I realized that Marge was giving me the cold shoulder. Was it because she had found out I'd been with Demetri lately? In a sense, it wasn't exactly my fault seeing as each time he appeared from out of nowhere, but I suppose going to dinner with him was a bit of a step back. 

As I had taken the milkshake back to the man's table, I couldn't shake the feeling of guilt as I remembered that Marge had technically warned me to stay away from Demetri, along with Moira's odd warning.

I cleaned another table next to Moira and prepped it for any incoming customers. We each looked towards the door as a young girl around my age maybe younger walked in. Her long wavy blonde hair had been put into a loose side braid as mass amounts of fly-aways  cascaded down her cheeks in a cute manner. 

She had cherub cheeks and a small nose with big eyes. She reeked of teenage innocence.

"Brooke, I'm glad you made it," The man said, a smile breaking his serious facade. I realized she must have been his daughter or something though the only resemblance had been the darkness of their eyes. I studied them from afar, wiping the table in oblivion.

She sat down, swinging her pink studded purse onto the red leather seats of the booth. 

"Hey Daddy," she said with a grin. I smiled at their relationship, even if it seemed very cliche. 

"How are you doing? How's school? I want to know more about how you've been." He took off his glasses, and shoved them to the side along with his paperwork.

"It's really great actually. Classes are challenging but it makes it more exciting. The new school isn't too bad really. Alan likes it," She replied.  At the mention of 'Alan', the dad's face dropped into a painful smile.

"How is he?" He asked. Brooke glanced down at her milkshake, which she hadn't even made a dent in. 

"He's getting by."

"I'm glad to hear that. Maybe next time he can visit too." He took a bite of a fry though he didn't seem very hungry. 

"Maybe."

A sudden punch on my shoulder shook me from my listening. "You done eavesdropping yet or should I wait some more?" Moira whispered with a scowl. Rubbing my arm, I shook my head and followed her to the next table.

I glanced back at the two as I pulled out a rag from the basin to wash down the table, but I was too far away to hear what they were saying. I shrugged. I shouldn't be listening in on other people's private conversation anyways, but boredom and been dragging me down since I left Demetri's. 

I continued my work as swiftly and silently as I could, pausing a bit to speak to either Moira or the cooks. Marge hadn't given me anything other than the cold shoulder and Will was home since he had the "graveyard" shift. 

When the evening fell upon the town, I began to change back into my normal clothes in the back before clocking out. As I walked out of the bathroom, I ran into Marge, who still was treating me like I was nothing more than a fly on the wall. 

"Would you please just talk to me?" I said with a gentle edge. Marge kept her back to me as she placed old drinks into a cabinet.

"I have nothing to say."

"Why are you acting like this around me today?" But did I really need to know the answer?

"I warned you about him Venus." She whipped around and had a hard look on her wrinkling face. 

"I know you did," I replied. 

"Then why do you keep hanging around him? He's not a good person."

My blood was slowly beginning to boil. "How do you know that? Have you really gotten to know him enough to the point where you can determine whether or not he's good or bad?" 

Marge scowled at me angrily. "Yes, I've seen what he does to people. He ruins them, taints them." 

"I'm sorry you feel that way," I replied bitterly.

"I'm sorry you don't. I've seen his ways Venus. I've been there before, you haven't."

This was a ridiculous fight. I knew she was looking out for me but did she know about all the times he'd saved my life? No! I was beginning to feel frustrated with this conversation.

"I'm not a child anymoer.  I can make my own decisions and mistakes. I appreciate what you're trying to do and all but you don't even know the full story. Every time he's around it's been an accident anyways," I tried to reason. Her nose scrunched up.

"Sounds like an excuse to me but if you're not willing to take my advice then so be it."

With that, Marge walked off, leaving me with steam practically flying out of my ears. She was being incredibly unreasonable and I felt like a teenager getting into a fight with her mom.  Tears of frustration began to sting my eyes but I held them back, feeling exhausted. 

"You okay?" I jumped as Moira appeared from out of nowhere, nearly giving me a heart attack. 

"Just great," I seethed. 

"I overheard what Marge said," She whispered. I bit back a dirty look.  "Let's just hang out the two of us tonight okay? We can talk and binge on Greys Anatomy," She offered, raising her dark eyebrows. 

"When do you get off?" I asked. 

"Now actually."

"Alright," I grumbled, still in a sour mood.

The two of us left and made our way to my place. After changing into some PJ's, Moira grabbed a bucket of her favorite chocolate ice cream and sat down on my couch with two spoons. We stayed silent as Alex Karev made a snarky comment directed at my favorite character, George O'Malley.

"So," She broke in after an elevator scene on the TV. 

"I feel like I already know what you're going to say," I grumbled, shoving a spoonful of cold chocolate into my mouth.

"Well I know you're annoyed at Marge and maybe even me too about warning you about Demetri."

"Jee, how'd you guess?" I asked her. She rolled her blue and black makeup plastered eyes and shoved a spoonful into her mouth. 

"Really we're just trying to look out for you, that's all," she said, licking her finger. 

"You guys haven't even told me anything about him. And you have no clue what's been going on the past week and a half..." I trailed off, unsure if I should say anything.

"Okay well first off, he runs a shady company okay? His workers are just as shady and they manipulate people, using fear as their weapon. Reese has also had contact with Demetri, and the two often clash heads."

I waited for her to continue. "Reese was doing his job and making sure that Demetri's . . . company was staying out of trouble and instead of being rewarded for doing his job, the next day they beat the bloody hell out of him. Demetri's business yearns for more power, and he'll step on whoever he can to get it. He enjoys controlling people."

I sighed, still feeling like there were so many gaps in the stories.

"He might as well be in a mafia," She concluded. "What? That's insane."

"Is it?" She countered. "He has this co-company that imports him guns and in exchange, he exports drugs or money or something - I can't remember what Reese told me. Which by the way, I shouldn't be sharing this with you but I'm just trying to help you understand why we keep warning you."

"I get that, I do, but again you're getting this info from your boyfriend, whom I have known almost nothing about, so I can't just trust his word through yours."

Moira sighed and leaned back. 

"What were you saying about the previous weeks by the way?" She asked. I frowned. Should I really tell her? I didn't see the choice I had right now. I had to convince her that from only what I've witnessed he didn't seem as awful as he was portrayed. 

I started from when I was walking home that night Moira and Will came over after our shifts ended, then went into detail about how he showed up that one night I was walking home, then to when he saved me from being nearly flattened by a truck. Her eyes widened after each outrageous story and I could tell she was trying her best to swallow what I had been telling her.

"I see," She muttered, pursing her red lips. "That's why, yes, I do understand the dangerous part, but there's a part of me that believes if he was really that cold-blooded then why bother always being there when I'm in trouble? I hate to sound like a damsel in distress while he's acting like my shining knight, but circumstances are trying to prove that's how it is."

"What about that night we were at Joes? Do you remember that night?"

"Vaguely. I mean, we were all drunk off our asses."

Moira closed her eyes and took a deep breath, almost like preparing herself. "Venus, there's more ..." She trailed off, then shook her head. "Than meets the eye with people. I just want my friend safe is all."

"And I'm telling you, I just can't see him hurting me. I know how this sounds, trust me I do."

"And you really believe that he won't?"

"As for now, yes, but just because I believe that doesn't mean that we're even something. Every time he's been around has been by accident, though it does happen a lot lately."

"Okay, I'll hold my judgement. So, what happened when you woke up at his place?" 

I gulped, unsure of whether or not to tell her I agreed to go on a date with him in 3 or so days.

"Well . ."

I feel like it's kinda a bleh chapter

Oh well, I kinda am at writer's block 

Comment and vote :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27 6 3
Rue is at a complete lost of what to do. After an accident that broke her right arm she's ashamed over her reaction to the news she may possibly neve...
196K 8.7K 43
When no one talks to you anymore or even sees you, you wonder, what's the point? I could move after high school, I could start over, but it wouldn't...
247K 20.6K 62
Expelled from her old school for a crime she didn't commit, Ivy must gain the trust of the High Pack at Ridgeview Academy to stop her new home from g...
76.8K 794 20
~Book 1 of Soul Mates series~ After her fathers death, Rose is sent to live with her grandparents in a small town in Romania. There she discovers som...