Conversations With Ana

By realllyreilly

schizophrenia and anorexia meets depression and anxiety. both shoved into a home for troubled teens, but poss... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
27
epilogue

26

223 9 0
By realllyreilly

26

Shane paced and murmured to himself.

Rose screamed profanities at my mom.

I shouted threats to the gods.

I must've really loved him because I was shouting at gods I didn't even pray to.

My mom just stood there and watched us, helplessly.

We all knew it wasn't her fault.

We also knew that it wasn't Gordon's parents fault.

But with lack of better people to blame, we blamed all three.

Our temper tantrums were interrupted by someone knocking on my door.

All of our heads whipped around so fast, I was truly surprised that none of us had whip lash.

Rena stared at us, her blue eyes wide as she took all of us in.

We stared back at her, all frozen in shock.

Rose leaned over and whispered to me: "Do you think she'll leave if we pretend we don't see her?"

I snorted and murmured back: "I think she knows we've noticed her already..."

Rose sighed and then returned to staring at Rena.

Rena walked into my room slowly and cleared her throat.

She didn't say anything at first, standing there awkwardly.

Then she sighed and said: "He can't go back."

We all blinked and looked at each other, wondering how Rena knew already.

I sighed.

"We already know that."

She sat down at the edge of my bed.

"Great. Then you're prepared to help me out."

I raised my eyebrows at her and crossed my arms.

Shane leaned forward and snapped: "What?"
A dangerous grin spread across Rena's face and she leaned forward as if she was about to share a secret.

I couldn't help but notice the large bruise that spread across her collarbone and disappeared underneath the collar of her shirt.

"I've got an idea. You four are all really close right?"

My friends and I nodded, all three of us apprehensive and hesitant but nonetheless curious.

Rena's grin widened and mischief lit up her dull, dead eyes.

Her voice was lilted with some wonderful, something exciting as she whispered: "Excellent."

I felt a tingle go through my body and a grin make my lips curl up too.

Rena's mischievious attitude was contagious. 

Rose bit her lip then asked the question we were all wondering: "What's your idea...?"

"It's simple really: we're going to protest."

At first, this idea felt laughable.

But then, I thought about.
All my life I'd either been a good girl, doing what she was told and taking her meds or I'd been listening to my voices, kept on a chained leash.

I'd never protested and if I did, it wasn't for a good cause.

But now, I had something to protest.

I had something to fight for.

When I met Gordon, I thought I was going to hate him with the deepest passion.

For a while, I did.

For a while, I wanted to strangle the life out of that boy, I wanted to hit him and scream at him.

But in all honestly, I was now in love with him.

Those fights and that taunting and teasing wasn't in the past though.

I realized, it was what made me love him.

Yes, I fell for him completely when he began to open up to me, but I never would have gotten to know him like that if it weren't for the teasing and the complicated friendship.

I was no longer fighting with Gordon, fighting my feelings for him, or anything else in between.

I was fighting for him and with him and that was the best feeling ever.

I was abruptly snapped out of my Gordon revolved thoughts when my wheelchair was tilted back.

"Ana, you've got to promise you won't scream at them, okay?"

I glared at Rose over my shoulder.

She was pushing me through the halls in my wheelchair while Rena and Shane walked in front of us.

We were on our way to go talk to Gordon's parents.
Rena informed us that they were down in the cafeteria, talking to Dr. Arden, making arrangements and such.

Before I could snap at Rose, Rena spoke up.

"Red is right, Ghostie. You can't scream or flip out unless the rest of start screaming and flipping out. We remain calm until they give us a reason not to."

I rolled my eyes and said: "I'm not going to flip out."

Shane and Rose snorted, obviously not believing that I could keep my cool.

I flipped them both off and pouted, childishly.

I had a great temper.

I don't know why they were worried.

While I kept repeating this to myself in my head, the moment I saw Gordon's parents, I couldn't help the hot rush of anger that went through me.

How could they not consider what Gordon wanted?

I understood that they were trying to do what they thought was best for him, but they were wrong.

Shange gave me a reassuring look and Rose rested a hand on my shoulder, squeezing lightly, reminding me to stay subdued.

I took a deep breath and shrunk into my wheelchair as we stopped in front of them.

Rena crossed her arms, waiting for the three adults that sat at the table to notice us.

It took them several moments but when they finally did notice us, there was a variety of reactions.

Dr. Arden look irritated (which was probably expected after all that happened earlier).

Mrs. Abel looked confused, her eyes darting back and forth as she looked between us all.

Mr. Abel sighed and crossed his arms, probably waiting to see what we had to say.

Rena talked first.

"You can't send him back there. He wouldn't be happy there and I think deep down you both know that. Are you really both that scared of losing another one of your kids that you're willing to torture him just so he won't kill himself? News flash: he's going to kill himself if you send him back there!"

The confusion on Mrs. Abel's face faded and was quickly replaced with frustration.

"Rena, I know you care for my son greatly, but it's not your decision, sweetie."

Shane's turn.

"Sir. Ma'am. I know you don't know me, but I know your son pretty well. I was the first friend he made at the group home. He was miserable there! You could tell. The first time he actually laughed was four months into being there and it was only when she",pause to point at me, "showed up! And you're taking her away from him by making him go!"

I blushed and looked down, using my hair to shield myself from their looks.

Mr. Abel scoffed.

"That girl is temporary happiness for him. She's going to leave him eventually. I bet she does this to all the sad boys!"

My head jerked up, my hands curling into fists.

He accused me of using Gordon.

How low did he think I was?

Rose lunged forward, slamming her hands against the table.

She glared at them and hissed: "Ana has done more for your son than you have. And I think you're forgetting the fact that she sobbed when she found out that he had woke up from his coma. She's in love with him and pretty sure he's in love with her too. We make him happy. Why can't you accept that?"

Gordon's parents stared at her, dumbfounded.

I took it as my chance to talk.

"Rena, Shane, and Rose are right. I love Gordon. And if he goes back to the group home, I know he'll probably kill himself. He's not happy there but he's happy with us. He'll be 18 in two months. I think he's old enough to make the decision. Send him back if you want, but if he kills himself while he's there, I'm going to stand up at his funeral and tell everyone it was your fault. Your choice, but just know, my friends and I love him and want him to be happy."

The Abel's exchanged glances, their eyes wide.

We'd obviously impacted them somehow and I hope we impacted their decision too.

We waited in silence, staring at them.

I clenched Rose's hand tightly, my stomach twisted in knots.

They couldn't send him back after everything we just said.

They just couldn't.

Rena rolled her eyes and snapped: "So? What's your decision?"

Mrs. Abel sighed and hesitated for a moment before saying: "I love Gordon and I want him to be happy. Which is why I'm not going to make him go back. My husband might try to argue with me now, but you kids are right. So I'm not going to make him go back."

Tears formed in my eyes and a smile spread across my face.

He didn't have to go back.

He was going to be okay.

I let out a sob of relief and hugged Rose tightly.

"He's going to be happy, Rosie. He doesn't have to go back."

"I know, Ana. I know. You're going to be happy too."

"Yeah I know. I've got you guys. How could I not be happy?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

88.6K 1.8K 23
in which the boy next door falls in love with a lonely girl, only to realize it might already be too late for them. {CONTENT WARNING⚠️ contai...
Ana By Sierra

ChickLit

62.9K 1.9K 61
Life as a child was amazing. Your weight didn't matter. Your clothes didn't matter. Your parents money didn't matter. All that mattered was who you...
1.3K 68 27
Today I met her , her name is Ana. She's pretty thin and beautiful. I'm friends with this girl Ana. I've start eating less, hating the person in the...
6K 106 22
"I smile everyday. I live my life like nothing is wrong with me. No one would ever guess that I'm screaming inside or that I've secretly been hiding...