The Winged Warrior

De catgirlisfangirl

Betrayed. Abandoned. Destroyed. Percy Jackson has been deserted by those he trusted. But can he rise again? ... Mai multe

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11 part 1
Chapter 11 part 2
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
A/N
Chapter 16
Challenge!
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20 - epilogue

Chapter 19

16.4K 356 154
De catgirlisfangirl

Dedicated to the amazing @EpicDevil62 for the incredible support!

Percy's POV

Me, Nico and Luke were sitting in the living room of the chaos cabin, our feet propped up leisurely on chairs, talking animatedly and eating pizza. We were considerably more relaxed tonight, as Will had told us that Leo's activity had increased. Apparently, he was now moving around a lot in his sleep, and that had to be good news, right?

"Hey, where's Lexi?" I asked suddenly, looking up from the slice of blue pizza sitting in my hand and staring around the room. "I'm sure she was here before."

"She told me that she had to take care of something." said Luke, shrugging carelessly. "She'll be back in a minute, I'm sure."

Just as Luke said this, there was a sudden rush of fast footsteps outside the door and Lexi came rushing in, her hair all over her face and her eyes wide.

"Guys, Leo's woken up."

There was a resounding cheer from around me as Nico grinned and Luke toasted Lexi's news with a wave of his Hawaiian pizza.

"That's brilliant!" I cried, hugging Lexi tightly, but she quickly escaped my grasp and shook her head.

"No, it's not like that." she said, and her voice shook. "There's something wrong with him. Will showed me but I don't know what it means. He was just laying there, on the bed, laughing. It was creepy, like he was possessed or something. And then Will screamed and ran away but I don't really know why."

"You don't know why?" Nico asked curiously, looking at Lexi's panic-stricken face. "What do you mean? Surely, if he just screamed randomly, it would be obvious why."

"Well..." Lexi muttered. "There was one thing. I don't know what it means, but when he opened his eyes, they were gold."

"WHAT!" all three of us yelled, Luke particularly, his face paling until he was the colour of chalk.

"Why, what does it mean?" Lexi asked us worriedly, staring at our shocked faces.

"Lexi." I said, taking her hand. "When Kronos took over Luke's body the first time, his eyes turned gold, too."

Lexi's free hand shot over her mouth as she gasped. "You're not saying... you're not saying that Leo is Kronos?"

***

All four of us, flanked closely by Adalind and Bernard, burst out of the chaos cabin and ran full pelt towards the infirmary, our frantic footfalls echoing around the camp like some creepy warning. We were shooting past campers in a blur, ignoring their startled cries as we drew nearer and nearer to the whitewash building that stood on the edge of the forest. But before we reached it, we skidded to a sudden halt.

Leo was standing outside. He was leaning casually against the wall of the infirmary, tossing a small object up into the air and catching repeatedly, a small, malevolent grin on his face. As we stopped next to him, he looked up, and grinned even wider at the sight of us.

"Well, well, well." He said, and sure enough, the gaze that pierced us was not the usual amused sparkle that Leo's brown eyes had held, but was instead a golden tone that was not interrupted by pupil or white, but was just one flat, shining stare that seemed to put all of us in some sort of horrified trance.

"I thought I'd see you here, Chaos warriors." He said, inclining his head in our direction. "I must admit I was most pleasantly surprised to find out you were here. It will make destroying this camp even more enjoyable."

"Get out of Leo's head!" I screamed, shaking with poorly suppressed anger. "Get out! He's our friend, not yours!"

"Tut, tut. Not really in the mood for sharing today, are we? Who is that behind your hood? I'm quite curious, you know. The fated son of the sea - now that's a title! But I'm afraid it doesn't come close to the Lord of Time."

So, Kronos didn't know who we were. Apart from Nico, he was completely in the dark about our identities. I couldn't decide if this was good or not; I didn't see it making much difference.

Kronos was laughing. He was walking away now, walking towards the border of the camp beyond which the sea lay calmly against the sand.

"Where do you think you're going?!" I screamed at Kronos Leo's back, sprinting towards him. But Kronos just sped up again, and now we had stopped at the very edge of the borders.

"Do you think I hadn't worked it out?"

By now, a crowd had gathered around Kronos. At first, they had obviously not realized who it was, thinking it to be only Leo, but older cabin leaders that had been around during the first battle were whispering, passing the information on through the younger campers. People were backing away, grabbing weapons, screaming and shouting warnings to approaching friends.

"Worked out what!?" I spat viciously, wanting to sound as aggressive as possible, though not really knowing what it would achieve.

"I read the signs. I heard the prophecy. You must understand that I know you now. I am stronger than ever before and I know your style, as well as all your weaknesses. And now - oh dear! Look what approaches!"

Kronos feigned a look of surprise, cold humour etched behind his blank golden eyes.

I followed his gaze, and saw at once that something was very wrong.

The sea was writhing furiously like some monstrous animal desperately fighting to escape the constrictions that bound it. The waves were higher than I had ever seen, the huge masses of water crashing against the shore and the white foam created by the force of the relentless attack scattering along the beach.

But even as I watched, the foam began to shape itself into new forms. It was no longer a random mass of salty water, but was now growing, expanding and hardening, turning from a greyish-white to a red roan.

The foam had become horses. Not normal horses, either. These horses were immense, with glowing, chilling green eyes that made them look dead, and yet strangely alive. In that moment, I knew that they did not mean anything good.

"How ironic!" Laughed Kronos. My attention snapped back to him as he continued. "Oh dear. How ironic to be killed by your own father's creations, Percy Jackson."

A murmur swept over the camp as all of the campers that had been preparing for battle turned to face me in shock. I knew I had no other choice.

I pulled down my hood at last.

***

Though I looked different, though I had sea-green streaks in my hair and a crown hidden just under it, I knew that I was perfectly recognizable. Kronos looked at my revealed face and for a second, his eyes flickered. Flickered from a golden glow to a fiery brown. In a split second though, it had gone, and I was half sure that I had imagined it.

Kronos spoke again, and this time his voice was so cold that shivers shot up my spine. I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

"I am not nearly as awful as you imagine, Percy Jackson. I took this body as I took my last. Because the original owner allowed it. Your friend Leo was perfectly welcoming, was desperate to help me after what happened to his poor, sweet alien friend..."

"Don't you DARE talk about Princess Havannah like that, you foul, slimy little beast!" Lexi yelled, running at Kronos as though she wanted to take him on face-to-face, despite the fact she had no weapons.

I grabbed her around the waist and held her back as she fought against my grip, desperate to get to Kronos and hurt him in any way. I couldn't say that I didn't understand her feelings, but if there was anyone that I would not allow to get hurt, it was Lexi.

"Aah, but of course. I forgot. You are from her world, are you not? I hear Percy here has taken quite a liking to you. I dare say you've forgiven him for what he did to you. Strange. I certainly wouldn't have done if I were you."

"What are you talking about?" Lexi growled, still fighting to extract herself from my hold as I fought to keep her at bay.

"Don't you remember, little Lexi? Don't you remember how he took you from your family and forced you to watch from afar as they aged and died without you? How terrible that must have felt. How can you stand by his side even now, foolish girl?"

"I stand by him because he is a hero. Unlike you." she snarled.

"Bravery." Kronos spoke. I felt sick, sick of the way that I could here Leo's voice behind the cold sneer of Kronos, sick of the way that Kronos was controlling him.

"Yes, bravery is a commendable thing. But there is no shame in entering my service. In fact, two of you already have."

Out from behind the crowd walked Nicolas and Annabeth. They strode right up to Kronos without the slightest hint of fear, standing beside him.

"You!" I cried, staring at Annabeth. "You betrayed me again! How could you!"

"I'm sorry Percy. But we're on the right side." Annabeth said, looking at her toes. Nicolas grabbed her arm and pulled her closer to him, grinning.

"I still can't believe you fell for my little act, Jackson." Nicolas said, and his smirk was even more pronounced under his mop of brown hair. "You are far too forgiving. I did so much to you. I killed your parents! And yet you welcomed me with open arms. You have such a handy fatal flaw."

Kronos smiled a frozen smile at Nicolas before turning back to me and Lexi.

"You see, if you join me, all will be forgiven. Even this one - " He gestured to Annabeth - "Who helped bring me down during my last attack has been allowed to enter my service. Come and join me. If you don't, I doubt you'll survive for longer than about ten minutes..."

"We will never join you!" Lexi screamed at Kronos.

"You are a troublesome one, aren't you?" Kronos asked, amused, his golden eyes fixed on Lexi. "You nearly ruined everything when you saw dear Annabeth taking metal into the forest for me. You see, they were making me this."

From the pocket of Leo's greasy overalls, Kronos pulled out what looked like a small purple gem. I recognized it as the object that he had been throwing and catching earlier.

Kronos threw it up again, but this time he didn't catch it. It landed on the ground at his feet and expanded, growing like a tree, a long handle sprouting from it until it was a large and ornate staff, topped with the purple jewel that was now the size of a football.

I was brought back down to earth by a cry from my right. It was Piper.

I hadn't spoken to Piper for a very long time, and the sight of her running and yelling at Kronos just like our war against Gaea all those years ago gave me courage. It reminded me that there would always be people on my side, no matter who betrayed me.

"Get out of his head, you bastard!" Piper screamed at Kronos, drawing her dagger and throwing it accurately at Kronos' head.

He caught it. Just raised a fist and caught it. His hand looked unscathed as he stared down at Piper's knife.

"Interesting." Kronos said, and once again I was filled with anger at the thought of Kronos using Leo's face, Leo's voice, Leo's identity. "This dagger had shown you much, Piper Mclean. Odd... I believe the boy who's body this used to belong was quite fond of you. And him." Kronos jerked his head in my direction. "Not so friendly now."

Piper was crying now, the tears leaking out of her opalescent eyes and running down her cheeks. And yet, her face remained completely set, determined not to show the emotion that her eyes betrayed. As Kronos looked up at Piper, I saw his eyes flicker once more, changing to the familiar soft brown that Leo's true eyes held.

And then, I knew. It clicked, and I immediately sent a mind message to Nico, who was standing behind me. He vanished, and I grinned, knowing just where he was going.

"Oh, dear. Your little henchman chickened out, I see. Oh well, just one less body to burn. But Percy, I don't think you should be getting distracted. You are ignoring the main danger. Look around, Percy, and see your death."

I had to try to tame the horses. I reached out with my mind, stretching an invisible had towards the herd of murderous animals standing proudly on the soft sand of the beach.

As soon as I touched their minds, a great shock of pain went right through me. In the brief moment that I had seen their thoughts, all I had gotten in return was pure, concentrated, unnatural hatred. There was none of the usual warm kindness that most horses posses. Instead, I went reeling backwards, my hands clutching me head in pain.

"Percy! Perce, are you alright?!" Lexi asked frantically, raising my head and staring at me. "What happened?"

"I... I can't get through to them." I choked out, looking down at the herd of horses below. They had started approaching, slowly, almost lazily. "I can't get into their minds. Their not right. He's done something to them."

I looked up at Kronos, and he was grinning. Grinning Leo's grin. The same cheeky smile I'd seen every time Leo had said something funny, or done something stupid. That was Leo's grin. Not Kronos' grin.

Before I could do anything except growl menacingly, Nico had reappeared. He was holding hands with Hazel, Frank and Jason, having just transported them from Camp Jupiter.

"Guys..." Kronos whispered. No, Leo whispered. It was Leo who was speaking from behind the mask as his eyes flickered again, travelling over the new arrivals.

But just then, Kronos' eyes returned, and he laughed.

"Well, that won't do, will it now." He said through his cold laugh. "I know what you are trying to do. But I like this new body, and I won't be giving it up so easily."

Kronos lit his hands with fire. It was the fire that I had seen so often. I knew it was Leo's fire, it had the same, warm, humourous dancing quality to it that made me draw my swords in anger.

"That's not yours! Let him go!"

But it seemed like I wasn't the only angry one. In one, swift, brown and gold blur, Hazel shot past me from under Nico's arm and ran head first at Kronos.

"Give me back my friend right now!"

Once again, Kronos' eyes flickered back to brown.

"Hazel..."

But before I could react, there was a cry from behind me. Piper was waving and pointing down the hill.

"Percy! The horses!"

I looked around quickly. The horses were even closer, drawing nearer, gathering speed.

"You have to do something, Percy!" Lexi said next to me. "Think! How can you make them listen?"

The answer came to me in one quick flash. The water.

Water was the only thing we had in common. The horses had been born from it, created my the waves on the shore. I had felt the water, its spirit, the way it spoke to you.

But this was no mean feat. I knew that if I was going to do this, it would take all of my concentration a and willpower.

I filled my mind with memories. Memories of swimming, floating, feeling the water around me. I remembered how it responded to my movements, how it supported me and flowed all around me.

As I remembered these images, I directed them straight towards the horses.

I knew at once that something had happened. The horses were writhing around, shaking their heads as though to get rid of something in their ears. I increased the flow of energy, sweat beading on my brow, concentrating harder than ever before on breaking that seal of hatred that kept their minds from me.

Finally, the horses broke free. I entered their minds and heard their cries of gratitude towards me at being freed.

"NO!" Kronos yelled, his golden eyes flashing dangerously. "You can't just... actually, maybe you can."

Kronos' endless monologue was beginning to annoy me. He hadn't made a single offensive move to hurt us, despite the awesome weapon he was holding. Maybe he had been relying on the horses to throw us off?

"You know what, Percy Jackson?" Kronos sneered, and me attention was back on him. "I don't mind it this way. One on one. I saw the way that you tried to bring little Leo back by showing him his friends, but I really don't think all your effort is necessary. He is mine, and there is nothing you can do about it."

Even as Kronos said this, I knew it was true. We needed a true way to bring Leo back. Someone that was even more powerfully connected to him than friendship.

I reached out to Nico and Luke quickly in my mind while Kronos continued his endless monologue.

'Advantages?' I pressed them. 'What have we got?'

'Well, you stopped the horses, that's one.' Luke replied, his mind voice echoing ever so slightly as it bounced around me head.

'And he doesn't know Luke's identity, that's two.' Nico chimed in.

'How will that help us?' I asked, directing my question more at Nico than Luke.

'Are you kidding?' Nico said, and I could almost hear his sarcastic roll of his eyes in my ears. 'Luke's the one that killed Kronos last time, I don't think Kronos would be too happy to see him again. I think it would give him quite a shock, which we could use to our advantage. A diversion, or something.'

'Good thinking.' I said quickly. 'Is that it?'

'Looks like it.' Nico muttered.

'We're screwed.' Luke groaned.

'Wait a second.' I heard Nico's urgent voice. 'Friends brought Leo back, right?'

'Yeah, but only for a - '

'Shut up Percy, I'm trying to think. Friendship brought Leo back. Hazel in particular, because they were very close. So, we need a bond stronger than friendship - '

"NO!" me and Luke yelled, out loud. Kronos stopped his monologue and looked at us, but we didn't care. We were staring at Nico in horror.

"Nico, don't do it. Please. You'll die." I whispered, trying to talk Nico out of what I thought he was thinking. Something that he hadn't attempted in a very long time, and that had not gone well.

"Don't worry Percy, I'm stronger now."

But before I could protest any more, I heard a sigh from behind me.

"Oh, this is ridiculous. No more beating about the bush. I want this done!" Kronos muttered, his voice growing gradually, still bearing that sickening resemblance to Leo's.

Kronos grabbed his staff and swung it straight at me.

I immediately drew riptide and soulcleaver, formed and 'x' and blocked the attack, catching the staff between the blades. I knew instantly that this was no ordinary weapon. Usually, the power of my two enchanted swords was enough to block anything, but the power of the staff was making me slide backwards along the ground, my heels gouging deep pits in the forest floor in my desperate attempt to regain my balance.

Even as I struggled, I could see Nico raising his hands next to me. I knew he was going ahead with his idea, and if he was, the best thing I could do for him was make Kronos so distracted with me that he would not go for Nico. I was going to give him a fight.

With one almighty push, the staff and its holder were sent reeling backwards as I jumped to the side. I readied my swords, and Kronos started to approach me, readying his weapon once more.

"Ready to fight it out, are we Jackson? Even after last time?" He chuckled, his flashing eyes upon my own sea green ones.

"I beat you once, I can do it again!" I yelled, but even as I said this, I remembered last time I had fought with Kronos. I remembered that horrible feeling when he slowed down the time, causing my whole body to freeze while he was free to move. I remembered the way he had laughed at me as I struggled, helpless...

And it happened again. I felt time slow to a slimy crawl. I froze, Kronos laughing once again as he moved towards me. The feeling of helplessness was upon me again, I didn't even try to move as Kronos approached, his face reflecting Leo's instead of Luke's.

But then I remembered. Those were the old days. Those were the days when I hadn't been the prince of the universe, when I hadn't been Aeschyus. Because I knew, right then, that no matter what my name meant, there was no shame in it. It was the name that connected me with chaos, and I knew that I was much wiser now. Plus, I was also the fated son of the sea. I couldn't lose my powers. I could move whenever I wanted to, and this prat wasn't going to make me do anything else!

I grinned right back at Kronos. I saw his eyes widen for a second inside his bubble of slowed time, before I swung my sword. At normal speed. At his face.

He blocked me, his staff meeting my sword with a loud clang! , but I knew he was shocked.

"It looks like you've forgotten something, Kronos." I said, while I swung my sword with as much skill as I had, Kronos barely parrying. "You've forgotten that I'm the fated son of the sea! You've forgotten that I can't lose powers. I'm one step ahead of you, and always have been."

"But... But all those years ago." Kronos cried out, a slight hint of panic lacing his cold voice. "You slowed down like any old person."

"No, I didn't." I grinned. "I thought I had. But I slowed myself down. I believed that I had stopped moving properly, and so I stopped moving properly. But that doesn't mean it was really happening. I believed it to be happening, so it did. But now I know. You are no match for me. Now release my friend and go back to Tartarus where you belong!"

"Nothing you say can get me to give little Leo back to you. Nothing. I - "

But just then, I heard Luke cry out in my mind.

'Percy!'

I whirled around. Nico was engulfed in black mist, his eyes glowing an eerie purple. A fissure had opened in the ground, and white smoke was floating gently out of it, reforming...

"What are you doing!" Kronos yelled, obviously sensing what Nico had done.

"Luke!" I searched out until I found Luke's mind. "Your turn! Get Kronos distracted so he isn't so focused on Nico!"

Luke strode right up to Kronos and pulled off his hood.

There were cries of shock all around the terrified campers as they caught sight of Luke's face, seeing the last warrior unmasked. But they were nothing to Kronos', who jumped like he'd been shocked by a electric arrow and stared at Luke in shock.

"You." he snarled, his eyes positively glowing with fury. "You... you... I'll KILL YOU!"

But just before Kronos could tighten his hands around Luke's throat, a voice called out from behind me.

"Leo?"

Kronos froze, his hands inches away from Luke, and turned around. There, white smoke still forming into the ends of her long dress, was Calypso, hovering over the fissure in the ground, glowing bright white like an angel.

"Leo." Calypso said comfortingly, looking at Kronos, searching his eyes. "What is this talk of killing> You are not like that Leo. I know you. I love you. Please..."

I could see Kronos' eyes begin to flicker again, and they were welling up with shining tears as Leo resurfaced. "Calypso, please..."

His eyes were flickering so fast that I couldn't keep track, their gaze fixed on the woman who was floating in front of him. Her hands reached out, towards his face...

I saw Nico's eyes close, saw him struggling to push calypso's form even further, and her hand solidified, gently brushing over Leo's cheek.

It was enough. The gold in Leo's eyes vanished, and he collapsed to the floor. I didn't know how long it would last, so I darted forward and grabbed Leo as he fell.

"Hey Perce. Do me a favour. Kill me before he comes back, ok?"

"How can I just - Leo...."

"Percy, PLEASE!" Leo yelled at me, his voice cracking. "Please... he's coming back, I can feel it..."

I knew that I couldn't do it. Luke put his hand on my shoulder and nodded at me.

I stood back, turning away. I saw Hazel crying, Frank staring at the ground, Jason looking like he was about to cry and Piper just looking blankly into the distance. I squeezed my eyes shut.

Hey peoples!

I know.

I know.

I KNOW!

you didn't see that coming, did ya? huh? huh?

Well if you did, well done.

I am releasing the epilogue at the same time as this chapter, so if you are reading this and there is no epilogue, I am probably releasing it right now.

It's not over yet...

cheers,

Catgirl xxx

ps: I'm sorry for the sad ending but it was needed. *sobs into my own shoulder because I'm so alone*

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

10.4K 398 21
After the giant war Percy is set up and betrayed by Annabeth and a select group of gods that see him as a threat, as he takes his last breath Chaos o...
40.2K 954 41
Being cheated by a girlfriend is bad enough. But being cheated by your fiancée? Wow, that's a whole new level. And that was exactly what happened to...
20.5K 515 9
The sky, sea, underworld, but what about something else. Another brother, one that was born after Zeus, swallowed by Kronos. Joining his siblings in...
479K 9.4K 28
Omega is Percy Jackson. Scratch that. Percy Jackson Is dead. Or at least that's how he thinks of himself. Percy Jackson is dead and reborn as O...