For the Love of the Law

By Purplepaises1

----| "What are you going to do? Arrest me again?" I challenged him, watching as his icy blue eyes flashed wi... More

Prologue
Chapter One | You Look Like A Reece
Chapter Two | I'm A Sweet Tooth Kind Of Guy
Chapter Four | Playing Detective
Chapter Five | Diner Discussions
Chapter Six | I Think I've Got The Right One
Chapter Seven | Officer Fucking Flynn
Chapter Eight | Supermarket Stalking
Chapter Nine | House Call
Chapter Ten | Hot Greetings
Chapter Eleven | So...friends?
Chapter Twelve | Mr. Emotionless
Chapter Thirteen | You Can't Just Pay For My Groceries
Chapter Fourteen | The Reveal
Chapter Fifteen | Stranger Beginnings
Chapter Sixteen | Can You Come Clean My Apartment?
Chapter Seventeen | Just Use Protection
Chapter Eighteen | Just Like The Movies
Chapter Nineteen | Definition Of Awkward = My Life
Chapter Twenty | Time To Be Cool
Chapter Twenty One | When It Comes To Underwear, I'm Ambidextrous
Chapter Twenty Two | Storm
Chapter Twenty Three | Uncle Stan Knows
Chapter Twenty Four | Fight Club
Chapter Twenty Five | Gotta Love Family
Chapter Twenty Six | My Heart Was Playing Pinball With All My Other Organs
Chapter Twenty Seven | I Think That's A Big Fucking Diamond
Chapter Twenty Eight | We're Just Right, Together
Chapter Twenty Nine | Here's To Us And Our Shitty Mums
Chapter Thirty | Dinner Confessions
Chapter Thirty One | Up Shit Creek Without A Paddle
Chapter Thirty Two | Your Stuff Is My Stuff
Chapter Thirty Three | Kitchen Counter
Chapter Thirty Four | Police Visit
Chapter Thirty Five | I'd Believe In You
Chapter Thirty Six | Make You Choose
Chapter Thirty Seven | This Isn't A Good Time
Chapter Thirty Eight | Absolutely Fucking Bonkers Crazy
Chapter Thirty Nine | We Must Be The Pedophile And The Rugrat
Chapter Forty | Your Style
Epilogue | My Idea Of Perfection

Chapter Three | Door Knockers Are Always the Better Catches

12.8K 334 23
By Purplepaises1

There were two things that jumped out at me just as the sun started setting behind the neighbouring houses and mountains that night.

First, it was Sophie. Literally.

She jumped into my room with such sudden movement, I actually nearly fell off my bed screaming.

The second thing was the reason why I was on my bed in the first place. I was so tired, I'd hit the stage where I'd been stuck on the same page of my book for the past twenty minutes, and I still didn't know what I was reading.

"Your dad told me to tell you to get ready for dinner because Stan's going to be here soon." Sophie recited and I groaned while rubbing my face. It actually felt like too much of an effort to lift my arms up, let alone get up from my comfortable bed.

"Tell him I'm too tired to eat." I mumbled, finally getting up when Sophie threatened to hit me repeatedly with one of my pillows. Looking down at my shorts and singlet, I grabbed my grey knit sweater from my wardrobe and slipped it on, then took off my shorts and yanked on a pair of leggings and black ballet flats, leaving my blond hair out but my fringe keep falling in my face so I quickly French braided it and pinned it back.

Turning to Sophie, who was currently snooping through my iPhone, I rolled my eyes and started to head down the stairs with her behind me. "So how much trouble did you get in?" I asked, and heard her snort behind me.

"A lot more then you." Sophie muttered, and I shook my head. Her mother would do that too, give Sophie the worst punishment when I was the culprit.

Sophie didn't care because she and her mother had been at war since her father left when he found out her mother was sleeping with the pool boy.

And the gardener.

"So the witch is back on her broomstick, then?" I questioned, and she groaned in reply.

"Don't even get me started. When I got home this morning, she tried to lecture me on my choice of boyfriend. Hypocrite." Sophie shook her head angrily and I felt a little sadness towards her.

My mom had been no gem, either. In fact, she was a selfish gold digger who took off the minute things got tough, but at least she wasn't a selfish, cheating, gold digger.

"Have you spoken to Marcus today?"

"Yeah. The conversation went a little like 'I'm sorry, but you're a self conceited asshole who thinks through your penis and I really can't be bothered with your shit anymore'."

I laughed, just glad she'd stopped that relationship before it got too far. I knew she had been dating Marcus just to piss her mother off, because if there was something Ms Weathers hated more than carbohydrates in food and clothes under $300, it was lack of class.

So Sophie went out and dated stoners, or drop outs, anything below her standards, just to get back at her for doing what she did to her father.

"Well I'm proud of you, Soph."

"I'm single again! And it feels great. I might aim for a MacDonald's worker next time. That'll combine both her pet hates. Fatty food and clothes from the Wall Mart sales rack. Maybe I'll get engaged with this one, just for an extra kick in the guts."

I laughed again at Sophie's declaration, reaching the kitchen where dad was clattering around, looking for the cutlery. I walked into the kitchen, pulled open the top drawer, and watched as he grinned at me sheepishly and placed a quick kiss on my forehead.

"What would I do without you?" He chuckled, grabbing a handful of knifes and forks without bothering to count them.

"You'd probably be eating with your fingers."  

Dad sighed. "Imagine if it was just Marley and me." He shuddered, like the idea scared him, and Sophie and I both started giggling, especially when Marley walked past grumbling how he'd heard what dad just said.

There was a couple knocks on the front door suddenly, making me jump slightly in fright. Sophie was in the lounge with Marley watching TV and I had been helping dad set the table. Since when did Stan knock?

Normally, he just waltzed right on in with a six pack and the chicken.

"Can you open the door for Stan, honey?" Dad asked, busy with the vegetables he was cooking. I nodded, and walked to the front door, opening it at the same time I was about to say something when all thoughts escaped me and my mouth fell open in shock.

Flynn Morgan was at my doorstep.

"What are you-"

"Harls! Sorry we're late, the chicken took longer to cook than expected." Stan yelled, suddenly appearing behind Flynn with a large tin foiled tray and the six pack of beer under his right arm.

I snapped my jaw shut quickly when I noticed Flynn beginning to smirk slightly and grinned at Stan, regaining my composure. "That didn't come out of your oven, did it Stan?"

"Tell your dad and I'll eat the leg."

Stan knew full well that was my favourite part of the roast chicken he always brought on Sundays, and I glared at him as he walked past me into the house and dropped a fatherly kiss on my hair.

At least he wasn't threatening to tell my father about what he'd written on the napkin this morning. It wasn't true, but it didn't need to be discussed, regardless.

Turning back to Flynn who was still casually standing on my doorstep, I frowned slightly and opened my mouth before I could think twice.

"So did Monica press charges and your here to arrest me?"

Flynn laughed, his face breaking out into a full fledged grin that made my heart do a little pitter patter in my chest, but I ignored the feeling, concentrating on something not quite so distracting.

Like the bushes to the right over Flynn's shoulder. Or the red bike lying on the front lawn of the house across the street.

"No, your father and Stan invited me for dinner."

They did what.

"Why?" I spluttered out, and after a few seconds realised how rude that could have sounded. He replied before I could fix what I had said.

"My oven shat itself last night in my new apartment and your dad said it would be like a thank you for letting you off with a warning." Flynn said, tilting his head to the side as he watched the emotion flash across my face.

"Oh." Was my wonderful, intelligent response.

"They didn't tell you I was coming?" Flynn asked his eyebrow rising slightly and I tried not to look too much at his face otherwise I'd probably say something stupid and irrelevant again. It wasn't like I was equip to deal with attractive men turning up at my doorstep for Sunday dinner with the family. I didn't have a slew of interesting conversation starters hidden in my back pocket or anything.

"No, they didn't." I mumbled, then quickly stepped aside and sent him a small smile. "Come on in, Flynn."

He grinned at me quickly before stepping into my house and shutting the door, then I led the way to the kitchen with my heart pounding in my chest.

When we entered, I felt three pairs of male eyes land on me, and cringed. One pair was filled with pure, malicious amusement, and that was Stan. I could just tell he was going to have fun tonight, and wondered how embarrassed I would be at the end of it. The second pair were two wary, grey eyes watching me curiously; Marley. And the third was dad's, his own pale green orbs gazing at me carefully, then flicking over my shoulder to settle on Flynn.

Where was Sophie when I needed her?

"Hey Harls, Mason just text you on your phone wondering when the two of you could go out again sometime and I replied back with next Saturday because I think you two would be a cute couple so don't be mad and- holy guacamole there's two police officers in the kitchen." Sophie managed, all in one long breath as she skidded to a stop and looked around with wide eyes, until they landed on Flynn and she smiled mischievously.

"I know you." She said, stepping forward to shake Flynn's hand.

He gripped it and shook for a few seconds with a smile on his face. "It's nice to meet sober Sophie."

"You're going to wish she stayed drunk." I muttered, and she threw me a glare before turning back to Flynn and striking up a conversation.

And just like that, Sunday dinner had begun.

Flynn had brought more beer because he didn't want to turn up with nothing, and dad stashed it in the fridge gratefully but not before getting one for the four guys in the house. We all entered the lounge for a while, until dinner was served, and then we were seated at the dining table, digging into the roast that had grown traditional for us over the past few years.

I'd always looked forward to Sundays, because it was a day were I felt like we were more like a family again, minus my mother. We sat and talked and complained and laughed, and it almost felt normal again.

Almost.

But tonight, for some reason, it just felt even more electrified.

And I tried to tell myself that it wasn't because Flynn was sitting directly in the seat in front of me, but I realised that was kind of a lie.

"So how old are you Flynn? You seem young to be a police officer." My father asked him half way through the enjoyable meal. I looked up at him and waited for him to answer.

"24. I always knew I wanted to be a police man, though, so it was an easy choice." He shrugged, and I bit my lip when I noticed how big his shoulders looked in that small movement. His eyes flicked to mine for a moment, but dad was back to answering questions so he gave his attention to my father again.

"It must be weird, moving down here to Oregon where you don't know anyone yet. Kind of daunting, a guy your age."

Flynn shrugged again, a wry smile on his face. "I've already met some pretty interesting people. I like it here in Brookings, it's a lot less stressful than California."

"You're from Cali?" Marley asked, and Flynn turned to him, nodding.

"San Diego's my home city. But I wanted to get out, explore a little more of America, you know?"

"Yeah," Marley muttered, his eyes glazing over slightly as he started to remember something. I knew what it was, though. He wanted to travel, he'd always said he would after high school. Take the gap year, go for a road trip with his friends, then get stuck into reality.

I swear him and his mates had been planning it since they were tweens.

But circumstances changed, I thought with a sigh. After the accident...he just changed. Now all plans of his life before had gone.

Stan launched into another one of his funny stories, and soon Sophie was joining in and the two had the table in laughter so loud I wondered if the neighbours could hear us.

I jolted slightly when I felt someone's foot brush mine, and snapped my eyes up to Flynn's face, but he was laughing at something Marley had just said, so I shook my head slightly and let it go.

He probably did it on accident anyway. Nothing to get excited about.

"So, Flynn. Any girlfriends?" Sophie asked once we'd finished the meal. "Or does the handcuffs on your belt scare a few potentials away?"

He chuckled, shaking his head. "No. No girlfriends. There was one back in San Diego, about a year ago, but that's finished now. And you'd be surprised about the handcuffs. They actually boost my popularity sometimes." He grinned, his eyes sliding over to me again.

I couldn't help but think whoever his ex was, she had been a very lucky girl.

"Sorry, but they were immune on me." I said with a slight laugh. "Being handcuffed isn't really an enjoyable experience."

His eyes flashed with something like amusement, and my mind suddenly thought of a more enjoyable, pleasurable activity to do with the handcuffs. Involving Flynn.

And my face had never felt so hot before.

"It wasn't the best way to make a good first impression, was it?" He chuckled again, his eyes still connected with mine.

"Neither was punching a girl in the eyeball, but hey." I shrugged, holding my hands up in a what-can-you-do sort of movement.

"No Harlow, if I were a guy that would have been hot."

"What?" I laughed, "Me trying to knock out Monica?"

"Yeah. Guys like a girl who can look out for herself. Am I right, Flynn?"

He just smiled, and I didn't know what to make of that. Dad cleared his throat, standing to start taking the dishes up to the kitchen sink. We all placed ours on top of his, and I sighed in contentment, rubbing my full belly.

"I see the piggy's satisfied." Marley smirked as he walked past me to put his plate on the top of the stack.

"Oh haha," I sent him a playful glare, in which he poked his tongue out back, then continued on to the lounge where dad had led the rest of the guests. I turned to the dishes, filling the sink with some hot water so they could soak a little before putting them in the dishwasher later on.

Joining them in the lounge a few minutes later, I frowned when I glanced around and Marley was missing.

"Dad, where'd Marley go?" I asked, and he looked up from his conversation and replied.

"He had to go and get his books from the public library." Dad shrugged, but my frown deepened.

"Will they still be open at," I checked the clock on the wall. "7.30?"

"They're open until eight, normally." Sophie piped up, throwing me my phone as soon as I joined her on the couch. Flynn was to my left, Stan on the lazy boy, and Dad was opposite Flynn. "Now text Mason back and confirm next Saturday."

"But-"

"No buts, do it."

Rolling my eyes, I went to argue again. "I don't want to go out with Mason on Saturday, Soph."

"What, you got other plans? You haven't dated in ages!" Sophie said, a pleading look on his face. "He's a really nice guy-"

"But he's not the guy for me." I said in a determined tone, trying to get my point across. "Soph, I'm not saying yes."

"Too late." She grinned. "You're forgetting I already did."

I groaned, thumping my head back against the seat. How could I get out of this one? I couldn't really, unless I wanted to be a little heartless and tell Mason it wasn't me who accepted, but Sophie.

"I hate you." I muttered, and she laughed, patting my head. "You love me."

"What's this I hear about a date?" Dad spoke up suddenly. I glared at Sophie before turning to my father, noticing Stan and Flynn's eyes on me too.

"Sophie's making me go out with Mason on Saturday night." I grumbled, not missing the opportunity to glare at her again.

"The bell ringer?" Stan asked, and I nodded. He laughed, shaking his head. "Poor guy, who rings the door bell these days?"

"A gentleman." Sophie shot, defending her choice of dates.

"Yeah, but Harls is the sort of girl to go for more of a door knocker type." Stan argued, and dad nodded in agreement. I rolled my eyes and tried not to think that Flynn had knocked on the door instead of ringing to bell, and he was exactly who I would go on a date.

"Why don't you all just pick on his choice of socks too?" Sophie complained, throwing her hands up in exasperation. "I feel bad for you Harlow, you've got three men to deal with when you bring dates home. Me, I've got none. But the witch is worse." Sophie shook her head then resumed to what ever she had been doing on her phone previous to this whole conversation.

"Who said I would let my daughter go out on this date anyway?" Dad said, a teasing tone to his voice.

"Dad, I'm 20. You can't decide who's appropriate to date anymore." I rolled my eyes again, and he just grinned, taking a sip of his beer.

"You're my daughter. That means I'll always have a choice on who you date."

This was so not cool. I wasn't 15 going on my first date to the movies. And yet, they were all acting like I needed guidance on my choice of men. I could pick for myself, thank you very much.

"I'm going to the bathroom, be right back." I muttered, leaving the room before any of them could reply. Running up the stairs two at a time, I slammed the toilet door a little harder than necessary.

I was not a kid anymore. I just needed dad and Stan to see that.

Once I'd finished, I opened the door and came face to face with Flynn, of all people.

"Jesus," I breathed, putting a hand over my heart. "You scared me."

Flynn grinned, tilting his head to the side and biting his lip slightly. "Sorry, I needed the bathroom too."

"Well, here you go." I stepped out of his way, indicating into the bathroom. He didn't move. Instead, he watched my face thoughtfully for a few seconds.

"What?" I asked, a little flustered at the scrutiny.

"Are you okay? You seemed annoyed downstairs when your father and Stan were talking about this Mason kid."

Kid. He thought I was a kid too, obviously, since he just called a potential date a child. Unless he meant a baby goat, but I somehow highly doubted it.

I don't know why, but him thinking I was young made me grow defensive. He was the last person I wanted to view me as a kid.

"I'm fine." I said in a clipped tone, which made him look at me harder. "It's not your concern if I'm annoyed anyway."

His eye brows rose, but he ignored the comment and shrugged. "You're right." Guilt flooded my body, and I kicked myself mentally because I'd been really rude when he seemed genuinely concerned.

"Sorry," I muttered, sighing slightly. "It's been a long day. I didn't mean to snap."

Flynn sent me a small smile. "I get it. Being arrested and then having to work would suck."

"Yeah, I should have let the police officer who handcuffed me know that." I smiled at him, and he laughed. He stepped closer, and I freaked out for a second before I realised he was just walking into the bathroom.

Idiot, I muttered, about to walk out into the hall when a breath at the back of my neck made me freeze.

"By the way," Flynn murmured behind me. "The door knockers are always the better catches."

I didn't move for a solid five seconds once he'd shut the door behind me.

Once my feet recovered their ability to walk, I rushed down the stairs, my head buzzing with thoughts. What did he mean? He was a door knocker, but that didn't make his statement about him. I mean, I'd only known him a day, if you could call it that, for gods sake. I should feel like he's a stranger in my home.

But I didn't. And that scared me more than excited me.

As soon as I stepped foot into the lounge again, I instantly knew something was wrong. Looking around the room at the suddenly tense faces, my eyes fell on dad, waiting for answers.

I felt Flynn's presence behind me before dad spoke.

"It's Marley," he said in a terse tone. "He's been assaulted."

* * * *

Sorry if this is a boring chapter! It's kind of a chilled out, meet the family sort of chappie, with a little Flynn thrown in ;) If you're enjoying this so far, keep reading! :)

x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

121K 6.4K 35
Kaylin Jones, the baby sister of Tiara Jones, is everything her older sister wished she could be. Strong, independent, and strictly goal driven. The...
11.8K 1.5K 31
Asher Wilde lives life by the rules, his father's rules. His entire life has been planned out for him. But when he meets the bold, brash Dylan Harper...
1M 25.4K 44
When young Diovanna is framed for something she didn't do and is sent off to a "boarding school" she feels abandoned and betrayed. But one thing was...
2.9K 136 31
Penelope Cooper is not who she appears to be to everyone in her life. 4 years ago, in the middle of nowhere, she set her life down a new path. With h...