The Night Shifts

Bởi bleedonthepage

A group of shifters in the normal world... It's hard for them to fit in, until they find each other. No secre... Xem Thêm

Chapter 1: Life as a Shifter
Chapter 2: I'm Part of the Pack
Chapter 3: What's Going On Here?
Chapter 5: The Rebellion

Chapter 4: My Second Mate

13 3 0
Bởi bleedonthepage

Got bored and haven't written recently so here it is!

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

If this had been a joke, my expression at that moment would probably have been priceless. I was so dumbfounded I hadn't realized Violet was asking me what was wrong.

"Mac? Are you okay? Is something wrong?"

I didn't know how to answer her.

"What the...?" I started.

Lynxes must be pretty calm creatures, or maybe it's just Landon, because his face was only about 1/8 as shocked as mine. Then again maybe he hadn't found his mate yet, so it wouldn't be as surprising even though I was a wolf.

"Who are you?" I asked Landon, taking a step back. I felt more cautious of him, pretty much the complete opposite of how I felt about Aaden. Surely that meant Aaden was my true mate, right? Not this lynx shifter...

"Mac, I told you he's a friend," Violet tried to reassure me.

"No, you don't get it," I told Violet. "Stay away from us," I said, this time talking to Landon. "Stay away from me."

Now I know what you may be thinking. You're his mate, you should be nice to him, not harsh. This is my second mate, however the heck that works, and he's not a wolf, so no, I'm not gonna be nice to him.

On that note, I ran away from the two of them back to the pack house. I wasn't so sure about being against the whole shifter separation thing.

However, that thought instantly vanished when I thought about Violet, a helpless fox shifter trapped in a wolf pack territory, whom I'd left alone with my second mate.

"Hey Mac." Aaden said as I walked through the door.

"Hey, it's a new record for Mac's shortest time in the woods!" Jayden exclaimed. I tried to give him a look, but he must've seen the worry and maybe a bit of fear in my eyes.

"Something up?" he asked.

"Huh?" I asked, a bit distracted. "Oh, nothing."

   "Mac, I was thinking..." Aaden started.

   "I'm pretty tired Aaden, I'm gonna head to sleep, I'll see you tomorrow."

   Aaden frowned, obviously pretty disappointed. I hoped he hadn't noticed I'd pretty much been neglecting him (Hey, I had a good reason), but being my mate and all I suspected he did.

   Before anyone could say anything I left the room, headed straight to my room, or at least, I was pretty sure it was the direction of my room. Stupid giant pack mansions.

   I hadn't been lying though. I almost instantly fell asleep, even though it was only about 9:30.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

   "Come on Mac wake up. How tired were you?"

   Slowly, I started to wake up.

   "Finally," Chipper said. "You're a pretty deep sleeper."

   "What time is it?" I said groggily, stretching my legs.

   "It's like 12:00 sleepy head."

Crap.

   I shot up like a rocket, running into the kitchen and quickly stuffing cold leftover bacon into my mouth, and saving some for Violet. Then I grabbed four sausage patties and sat in the living room eating for a bit in the house like a normal person so I wouldn't seem suspicious. Nope. Not suspicious at all.

   "Dang, I promise we won't starve you," Jayden said.

   I gave him an innocent look.

   "So we finally decided to wake up, did we?" Aaden said.

   After chewing and swallowing some bacon, I managed, "Actually Chipper woke me up..."

   Aaden laughed. "Me and Jayden have to go to a meeting with Sam and a few others, and Chipper's going to some girl thing with a few wolves from another pack. Will you be alright here with just the guards?"

   "Of course," I said.

   'Perfect!' I said to Ria.

   A few minutes after they left I sprinted to the woods. Halfway to Violet I remembered last night's fiasco. What if she didn't want me helping her anymore?

   'More importantly,' said Ria, 'why, and how, do we have two mates?'

   'Maybe he's not a mate. Maybe we just imagined it.'

   I knew Ria didn't believe that. Heck, I didn't believe it. In fact, I almost felt disappointed just thinking about it.

   When I showed up in the clearing I found Violet a nervous wreck and, luckily for me, completely alone.

   "Mac!" she yelled, running towards me as fast as she could, which wasn't very fast with her wounded leg, and giving me a hug.

   "I thought you weren't coming back, I was worried, a-and I thought..."

   I was pretty sure I knew what she was gonna say.

   "I'll never tell them about you, don't worry. I woke up late, I was tired, I'm sorry I wasn't here earlier."

   "Mac... About yesterday.." Violet started.

   I winced at the thought, but I knew I could tell her.

   "Look, I'm sorry I was rude, but..." I started to explain. "Violet, I have a mate, it's how I came to be part of a pack. And yesterday, when I saw Landon... Violet me and my wolf, we both got the feeling that he was... that he was our mate."

   "What?"

   "I was confused and a little scared, I didn't know why I'd gotten the feeling and neither did my wolf. I'd never seen him before and it was just another reason not to trust him."

   "But how did you have two mates?" Violet asked.

   "I don't know," I said truthfully.

   "Mac," Violet started. "Landon, he has a mate too."

   "He does?" I asked. We both had mates and yet we were each other's mates? Ugh, my life is becoming so confusing.

   "Well, kind of. He met his mate but... She rejected him. It's all my fault. She found out about me and she left him immediately. She didn't want to have anything to do with somebody who was breaking the shifter laws."

   "That's a stupid reason to reject your mate."

   "I guess I should tell you a bit about him and how we met since, you know, he's kinda your mate I guess. When my skulk rejected me he found me and cared for me. He was like my big brother. We grew up together in the wild, and since lynxes live alone it was safe for me. Then recently a pack a ways away from here attacked us when we were traveling to close to their pack territory, which was my stupid idea because it was a shorter trip and I was tired. Obviously karma got me, but at least I met you," Violet said.

   "And Mac?" Violet started. "I know you already have a mate and everything, but I can tell you haven't mated. Just, give Landon a chance, will you? He's already lost one mate..."

   "I will." I promised.

   Her face lit up a bit with a smile at that, and for once since I'd met her I saw how beautiful she was when she was happy and (decently) healthy. Her leg had healed quite a bit, though I could tell it still hurt if she tried to run, but her face was full of color again and she was calm for once.

   "Great, you're back," grumbled a familiar voice behind me.

   "Nice to see you too." I said sarcastically to Landon.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Gonna have to wait and read the next chapter, possibly even chapters, to find out who Mac picks! Hope you enjoyed, but it'll probably be awhile till the next chapter of this book because I've been neglecting my other books a bit... :/

Edited for errors!

Unicorn_Of_Narnia

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

742K 16.6K 41
"I may be your second chance, Wade, but I will not be your second choice." Reeling from the death of his mate, Alpha Wade tried everything in his pow...
42.9K 4.8K 52
This book contains spoilers for all other books in The Regal Eclipse Pack Series. I highly recommend reading those books first. Kyra Remington is in...
485K 10.8K 48
Sheltered shifter Celeste runs away after disappointing her parents with another failure to secure a worthy mate bond, but she accidentally stumbles...
549K 12.2K 60
A girl who is terrified of the creatures who made themselves known and a possessive Alpha who has waited all his life for his mate.