Improbable Causes

By Thomasdublin

More

Improbable Causes
Hand Over Fist
The Factory
Hungry Hungry Munchkins

Little Pig, Little Pig

79 9 5
By Thomasdublin

Elias’ lips curled back in disgust as his eyes landed on Ethan’s grave.

Raindrops rolled over the brim the bowler-hat. His shoulders were hunched low as he attempted to use his collar as a shield for the icy drops. A shiver ran through him, and he tensed his jaw while reading the headstone.

He growled at the sight. The words: ‘Little Pig’ stood out to him. He had no doubt who had left them. The words had been haunting his own mind for the past several days, taunting and threatening him. A nauseating feeling spread throughout him—it made him sick to look. Moisture from his eyes threatened to spill.

“Why wouldn’t you listen? I told you this was going to happen, same as Eric,” he muttered before he wiped nose with his soaked sleeve. “I hope the money was worth it.”

Elias sniffled. “It ends tonight, Ethan. I’m seeing that it’ll end tonight! God willing, you and Eric, will be avenged. If not, I’ll be seeing the two of you soon. Either way, it will be finished. Rest in peace, little brother.” He shot a gloomy look to the darkened sky. With a sigh, he turned on his heel and walked away from the cemetery.

The walk home was long, wet, and cold. A thick, impenetrable blanket of fog coated the ground. The various lamp posts were barely visible, and Elias couldn’t see anything worth a dime. The only indicator of his direction was the sound of his feet skidding over the cobblestone..

Nervous energy quivered through his body, and he rubbed his hands together as he walked. Two brothers in two weeks, and now their sins hunted him. If only he’d given Eric that money. If only...

“Just this once, Elias, please? I’ll pay you back twice over. I just need to get through this month,” Eric pleaded. His eyes filled with water. Elias had to look away. It was uncomfortable to watch, but Eric had to learn responsibility.

“I already told you no. How many more times do I need to say it?” Elias turned away.

“But we’re family. Brothers.”

“We are brothers, and I love you as such,” Elias said and turned back around. His eyes surveyed the pitiful sight of his brother before he continued, “But, you’ve never put in a solid day’s work a day in your life. Your idleness has finally caught up to you, and it’s time you learned from the consequences.”

Eric silently fumed, and his face turned red. For a long silent moment, there was nothing but uncomfortable tension. When Eric stomped his foot and walked away, Elias let out a sigh.

A a rattling clank shook him out of his memory. He looked up, and his eyes found the source of the sound only a second later. A horseless carriage rumbled down the street, splashing water and billowing smoke. He swallowed at the sight. Strangely, it bore no lanterns or other means of illumination.

Elias hadn’t counted on the Wolf coming for him like this. It wasn’t his style. Nevertheless, this could be it. He broke into a run and ducked down the nearest alley. With a racing heart, he watched as the machine drove by without slowing. A nervous laugh escaped his lips. False alarm. Slowly, his fingers uncurled from the revolver. The weapon had been tucked in his coat pocket earlier today. Everyone said the Wolf was bulletproof, but carrying it made him feel better all the same.

As Elias rose from his hiding spot, he resumed walking. Alright. He needed to think extremely carefully about this, it was a matter of justice for his brothers. Every piece of evidence would count. He hoped that his hatred and his loss wouldn’t taint the memory. He thought back to the ceremony.

Elias watched as a steam crane lowered Eric’s casket into the ground. The machine rumbled so loud that it thoroughly drowned out the priest’s less than spirited final prayer. Ethan sat beside him, stone faced. They waited together until the service ended and they were alone with their deceased brother.

“Why didn’t you give him the money, Elias? Because of you, he went to the Wolf. Because of you Eric is dead.” Ethan stared at the fresh mound of dirt marking the grave.

Elias swallowed hard. “Where were you, then? Why didn’t you help him? You were his brother, too.”

“You know damn well that I’ve got my own problems. Sure, I was a bit better off, but not near enough. You had the means.” Ethan didn’t look up.

“Eric made a choice; a horrible, stupid choice. If I had known he would get involved with the Wolf of all people, I would have handed him the money and then some.” He balled his hands into fists so tight his knuckles cracked.

“Too late for that now.” Ethan didn’t spare a glance at him before walking away from the grave.

Elias surveyed his home. The door showed no sign of forced entry. There were no marks of a crowbar on the jamb and the lock still functioned properly. Despite these positive signs, Elias entered his darkened home with caution. The Wolf hadn’t earned his reputation by being sloppy.

He opened a valve near the door, and a gaslight glowed to life. Deep shadows danced at the corners of the room. His furniture became sinister in the contrast. Breathing deeply, he reluctantly left his sanctuary in the light to inspect all the windows in the house. Again, his hand wandered to his pocket, and the gun it concealed.

A filthy street urchin approached him as people began to congregate in the cemetery. The child didn’t say a word, just tugged at his coat and looked up at him with sunken eyes. At first, Elias thought his pockets were being picked, but when he glanced down, a note was quickly stuffed into his hand. Confused, he unfolded the paper and read.

“I hope this missive finds you well, little pig. You have a decision to make.

Your brother Eric failed to pay his debt to me, and I was forced to kill him.

Ethan, too, was unable to rectify Eric’s mistake. Once again, I was forced to take a life.

You have a chance to make things right. Redeem your brothers, or join them.

Your choice. I’ll be in touch.”

The child had vanished by the time he finished reading.

He still had the note. It was a reminder of what he had to do tonight. His hand hovered over his chest pocket as he stared into the blazing fire.

Tick, Tock. Tick, Tock.

Elias jumped back. His eyes searched for the clock on the mantle atop the fireplace. The small and delicately engraved brass hands showed ten o’clock. He exhaled. The warmth from the flames calmed his nerves as they dried his soaked clothes. With his body warmed, he could work on his plan of defense. He wasn’t going to sit meekly by while the Wolf loomed around, planning to kill him.

He gathered his chemistry supplies. Despite the narrow stairs to the basement, he managed to assemble a small lab on the floor before his fireplace.

It didn’t take long for the beakers to bubble with colored liquids, and Elias grinned at the dripping glass tubes. He was clad in a thick leather apron and goggles to protect his skin. Elias adjusted burners and mixed chemicals together without any apparent method, but to him it felt right to do something productive.

A sizzling noise interrupted his rhythm. Purple smoke rose from the floor as a bubbling liquid splashed out of its container. The wooden floor dissolved under the drops.

Grabbing a pair of tongs, he took the volatile concoction off the burner. With care,  Elias carefully carried the beaker to the front door. He opened it just far enough so the top of the door created a shelf space for the container to sit. The Wolf wouldn’t be able to resist such an easy target, and as soon as he came through the door; it would be the end of him.

The tinkling crash of glass breaking in the kitchen got his attention.

“Little pig, little pig, let me in.” There was a thump and something crunched. The Wolf was in the house! Elias glanced at the cleverly trapped door in dismay. All that work wasted.

The kitchen door exploded, sending splinters and jagged shards of wood flying into the room. Elias reached for his revolver, but his hand only slapped against leather. He froze, realizing it remained tucked in his coat.

“I didn’t scare you, did I, little pig?” A large man stepped into the room. He had slick, black hair and an immaculately groomed handlebar mustache. Where the flesh of his left arm should have been, there was a mess of brass bars and gears ending in a claw. It clicked and whirred audibly as he threw up a mocking salute.

Elias glanced back over to his coat hanging in front of the fire. “Oh, no. I was just in the middle of some work. I like to dabble in chemistry.”

“I can see that.” The Wolf nodded towards the front door. “That wasn’t a nice thing to do, little pig.”

“That? Oh, that was just a test to see if you were as crafty as they say you are.” Elias slowly shifted his weight and moved towards the fireplace. The wolf’s hungry, yellow eyes followed him.

“You’re different than your brothers. You control your fear, but you still can’t hide it. I can smell the stench on you.” He jerked around and swung his mechanical arm. The claw, attached to a chain, launched across the room, crashing into the various lab supplies. Another jerk pulled it back.

Elias threw his arms up over his face and fell, trying to avoid getting hit by the boiling liquids. To his relief he managed to put himself in reach of the coat.

“Squeal for me little pig. It’s no fun if you keep quiet. Squeal like your brothers.” The wolf once more sent the claw flying, this time into the heart. The force was powerful enough that several bricks exploded into powder. Elias crawled and scrambled out of the way. He refused to give the Wolf any satisfaction.

“Can I try a different noise? Something a bit louder, perhaps?” Snatching at his coat, he yanked it down. The revolver hit the ground with a loud thump. Elias grabbed it and pointed it, shakily at his brothers’ murderer.

The wolf grinned wickedly, revealing vicious, filed teeth. A thunderous gunshot echoed in the room, followed by the snappy ping of ricochet. Elias stared, dumbfounded. He had hit the man square in the chest; the bullet hole was visible on his shirt.

Slowly the wolf undid the buttons. “Oh, that was good. The look on your face is priceless.”

Elias could see the gleam of brass as the shirt opened, revealing what should have been the Wolf’s chest. Like his arm, however, metal replaced skin. Instead of muscles, there was a solid, shaped plate. A small window on the left peck showed a whirling heart of sprockets and gears.

“That’s not possible...” All hope fled from Elias.

“Oh, but it is. Now let’s finish this. I’ve had my fun, but you truly are beginning to bore me.” The Wolf adopted a boxing stance, cocking his left arm.

“Wait!” Instead of his life flashing before his eyes, he got an idea.

“That’s it, little pig. Squeal.”

“You can have the money. All of it and more.” It was a long shot, but it was all he had left.

“But, I’m having so much fun. I was so looking forward to killing you.”

“I’ll pay you monthly, even. Please, spare me. I beg you. Just let me live.” He dropped to his knees. He hoped that he wasn’t overselling it.

“And if you miss a payment?”

“Then you kill me. Either way, you get something you want.”

The Wolf’s stance relaxed. “Yes... I like the sound of that. Except you’ll pay me weekly.”

“Of course. Anything you want.” For effect, Elias made his bottom lip quiver slightly.

“Then we have a deal. Break it and your life, as well as the lives of those you hold dear, is forfeit.” The Wolf smirked.

“Thank you! You’re every bit as smart as they say.” Elias breathed out loud. He pointed to a still life near the door. “I keep everything in a safe behind that painting. Take it. It’s all yours.”

“How much is that?”

“About thrice the amount of what Eric promised to pay.”

“Perfect.” The Wolf drew out the word. Full of confident swagger, the large man strode over to the painting. “I look forward to our new business relationship.”

Elias couldn’t resist smiling when the wolf turned around. The expression on his face, just visible over the front site of the revolver, was too priceless. “Actually, I’m having second thoughts on the whole thing.”

The revolver boomed and the bottle on top of the door shattered. Acid rained down, covering the Wolf.

The screams forced Elias to cover his ears. Skin melted from the Wolf’s face and brass warped. The scent of singed flesh mixed with the odor of heated metal. Elias knew he should be horrified, but the excitement of salvation kept him watching. The failed trap had done its job.

It was the Wolf’s turn to squeal now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Wanted By Jason Halstead

Science Fiction

84 0 1
761 19 12
2077. While Earth is thriving in its new Space Age, the corporations keep Night City in a state of a degradation. A grim idol of the old world of unr...
152 9 8
A collection of short stories and mini stories including genres like sci-fi, fantasy, horror, action, and much more.
591 126 8
A collection of short stories - my entries for @Ooorah 's Ultimate Science Fiction Smack Down! SFSD 2021