Otokage

By writer168

"He chose your fate. You have to take over his job. His village. His place in the world. This is the life you... More

Doorstep
Sky
A Done Deal
Selection
Allies: Part One
Allies: Part Two
Allies: Part Three
Allies: Part Four
The Man Who Called Himself God
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November: Part 1
November: Part 2
December
Rokudaime
The Exchange Program
Six Kage Summit
Six Kage Summit: Part Two
Konohagakure (Last Chapter)

Rumor Mill

36K 1.8K 1K
By writer168

Naruto ran down Konoha's streets with the image of Hidan ringing in his head. The Akatsuki had been quiet for such a long time and the world was fine with them finally disappearing off the face of the earth. Why here? Why now? And why the hell did they come as Oto shinobi? He barged into the Hokage's office to see Kakashi twirling a pen in his hand and staring at something on his desk.

"Naruto! You should've knocked!" Kurenai chastised. "What if Hokage-sama had been in a meeting?"

"S-Sorry, Kurenai-sensei," he apologized. "I was in a hurry, so..."

Kakashi set down his pen and crossed his arms over his chest. "Maa, it's fine. Don't worry too much over it, just be more careful next time. What do you need, Naruto?" he asked. The jounin pursed his lips.

"I just saw Hidan, the Akatsuki Hidan, just goin' around the village like he belonged there! And he told me that he was doin' some work at the hospital for some 'exchange program' with Otogakure. What the hell was he talking about?"

Kakashi and Kurenai shared glances.

"I was going to make an announcement soon, but..."

"But what?!"

The were interrupted by a series of knocks at the door. Kakashi allowed them in, Naruto's eyes growing wide at the sight of Kabuto. The aforementioned gave a friendly smile before turning his head and mouthing a few things to his associate. The Hokage cleared his throat.

"These are Otogakure's diplomats, Yakushi Kabuto and Uc—um..."

Tobi stepped forward with a lopsided grin. "I'm Tobi. Just Tobi."

Kurenai's eyebrows knit together as she watched Kakashi drop his gaze and tap his fingers on his knee. She recognized it as one of his nervous tics, but she couldn't understand why Tobi was making him so uncomfortable. Suddenly, he forced a jovial smile onto his face even as his tapping sped up.

"Diplo...? What?!" Naruto cried. He pointed an accusing finger at Kabuto. "Don't you remember the things he did to Konoha? To Sasuke? Hell, it's because of him that the snake bastard—"

"On the contrary, I had nothing to do with Orochimaru entering the village. I was merely a spy for him. You can't exactly blame me of such things, considering the countless amount of such spies that have been sent to Otogakure in the past. A mission is a mission, is it not?"

Naruto glared at him, but said nothing.

"Besides, I only follow orders. If you have a problem with what I've done, you would have to take it up with Orochimaru. Not exactly possible, is it?" he said as he pushed up his glasses. The two stared at each other for a long while before Tobi tapped his arm.

"She's not going to be happy if you decide to start up a fight. Calm down a bit, Kabuto-san," Tobi warned. Kabuto smirked.

"She still finds it funny. It'll be a good story to tell."

The Konoha inhabitants in the room had one, collective thought.

'She?'

Kakashi clapped his hands together. "Well, Yakushi-san, what is it that you came here for?" he asked, abruptly changing the subject. Kabuto handed over a stack of documents he needed signed as well as a note from the Otokage. As he and Tobi left the room, Kakashi sliced open the envelope and read the letter addressed to him. He felt his old student's curious gaze from across his desk.

"Naru—"

"That's Sakura-chan's handwriting," he commented quietly. Kakashi looked up.

"It's just something similar, I'm sure," he assured. Naruto relented and laughed and scratched the back of his head.

"I guess you're right, sensei. I must be seeing things. See you around, then!"

When the door shut, Kakashi turned to his assistant. "Why don't you take an early out today?"

Kurenai frowned. "Are you sure?"

"Of course. Tell Mirai-chan I said hello."

Now all alone, Kakashi wiped the smile off his face and concentrated his attention to the letter in his hands. He folded it and tucked it into his robes as he exited the office and briskly paced to the records room. The guards waved him in and he traveled to the back towards the mission reports of deceased shinobi. He scanned the "H" section and pulled out one of Sakura's. Kakashi took out the letter and compared the writing styles.

...

Ten seconds passed by.

Then thirty.

Then five minutes.

There must be some mistake. Handwriting couldn't be this similar.

::

Kakashi trudged down the nearly empty village streets, his feet carrying him to the only place he could find solace. But there was already someone standing at the memorial stone. He saw an orange cloth hanging out of that someone's pocket. He walked up and stood beside the taller man but kept his gaze on the engraved names.

"Sometimes I imagine what Rin would say if she were still around. I hope that she'd be happy with how Konoha turned out—led by somebody she'd placed her absolute trust in. You're good for this village, Kakashi. I don't think I could have seen it happen any other way." Tobi turned to the side, eyes shimmering with happiness. "I asked to see the future through your eyes, and I'm glad this is what you made it out to be."

Mismatched eyes might as well have been the same ones from all those years ago when they were thirteen. He even had that same smile, carefree and open like nothing from their past had ever come to fruition. It was at that moment where Kakashi accepted it. Accepted that Uchiha Obito was really here and really alive.

Even if the feeling wasn't as sweet as he thought it'd be.

Kakashi moved his gaze back to the memorial. "Are you happy in Otogakure, Obito?" he questioned. Tobi shoved his hands into his pockets as a wave of nostalgia washed over him.

"More than I could ever hope for. Six-ish years ago I became an Academy sensei. The Otokage also transplanted a new eye and healed my scars before that. They... she gave me a second chance. If it weren't for her letting me into the village as I was, I don't know where I'd be right now," he said. He frowned. "I know you're trying really hard to pick apart the village secrets, the first of them being who our leader really is. You'll find out eventually, but..."

The Hokage glanced at him from the corner of his eye. "But?"

"But I know you're not going to like it."

::

"I heard she was a medic with bright hair. Does someone like that really exist?"

"I don't know, but that description sounds like something I've heard before..."

Ino paused in arranging her flowers and watched her customers leave with wide eyes. Bright haired medic? The only person to come to mind was Sakura. No, it wasn't for sure, of course. Sakura was gone, her body buried deep within the Nara forest. But no matter how much she tried to calm herself, the uneasy feeling constricting her throat.

"K-Kaa-san, I'll be taking my break!" Ino slipped off her apron and rushed out the shop to take a deep breath.

'Take deep breaths. Count to ten. Clear your mind. Think rationally.'

She went and sat down on the nearest bench she could find. Ino then closed her eyes and tried to get the words out of her head as quickly as possible.

'Sakura is gone. It's been six years since her death. Eight years since you've seen her. She deserves her peace.'

"Ino? Are you okay?" Hinata came and sat beside the blonde with a worry-filled face. "You're pale."

Ino shook her head. "No, I'm fine. It's just..." she bit her lips and started wringing her hands. "Look, I know this is going to sound crazy, but I heard these two people talking at the shop and there were some things they said and, and I don't know, do you think there's even the slightest chance that Sakura's still alive?"

Hinata placed a hand on her shoulder. "Ino..."

"Too crazy, right? Sorry for bringing it up, I just, maybe..."

Her head dropped in her hands, Hinata staying firmly in her spot as she consoled her friend. She acknowledged the fact that Sakura had passed a long time ago. It still hurt every moment she thought about it, but what could she do?

You could never forget someone like Haruno Sakura.

And the dead don't pop out of their graves.

::

"Something about green eyes and an intense stare, right? They said it was so scary that she looked like Tsunade-sama."

Gai stopped right in his tracks. He frowned, turning his head in the general direction of the chuunin that passed by.

"That's strange..." he muttered. The only person who had even an inkling of similarity to Tsunade was Sakura. As far as he knew, Shizune and Sakura were the only students the Godaime ever had. That, and Sakura was buried six years ago. He saw it with his own eyes.

Besides, even if she were alive, he didn't think it would be the best idea for her to come back. Don't get him wrong, he would love it if she would make her return to boost the youthful spirits of everyone he knew, but there was the fact that she wouldn't be safe. The council would be enraged and immediate action would be taken. Unless Sakura had some immunity to Konoha's policies, she would be executed.

Gai sighed. "Sakura-san, may your fire burn forever bright!"

::

"She seems really nice. And loves sweets and sake."

Sai looked up from his painting of the landscape, lending an ear to the two genin who passed him by. A singular thought bubbled to the surface of his mind, creasing his face unpleasantly and forcing him to his feet. It wasn't the first time he'd heard something like this, and it was time he would get to the bottom of it.

"Excuse me," he called. "What's that story you're talking about?"

The young girl with long black hair and brown eyes looked up at him in surprise. "You haven't heard about the Spring Kunoichi, nin-san? Everyone's been talking about it since that survivor came forward."

Sai lifted an eyebrow. "Survivor?"

The boy perked up. "Yeah! The survivor of the Jomae Massacre!"

He stalled. Sai couldn't think of a person who survived that incident, like the reports said. It was a horrifying scene, according to investigators, with a broken battlefield, acid and blood covering mutilated earth and several dirt mounds.

"And the survivor said that the Jomae Village brought it on themselves."

Sai's eyes widened. "How?!"

And so the girl told the story.

It was night time. Ten in the evening, just about. I was one of the shinobi sent to hide up in the trees to ambush whoever it was to come and save the children we kidnapped. I didn't agree with what lengths our leader would take for bloody information, but I obeyed like any loyal shinobi would do.

Then she came. You could feel the anger radiating off her person. Her emerald eyes were beyond comprehensible rage, mirroring the slug sannin's, as she demanded for the three children alive and unharmed. Her and our leader conversed a short while before she smiled unforgivably. Suddenly, there came an animal cry that sounded so... murderous... that I'm amazed I didn't lose my hearing. I'm sure that I blacked out for a few moments, and when I came to, the ground forces became unmoving lumps on the ground.

We regrouped and watched as she tended to our captives. When she came back, we were two-hundred shinobi strong. Clearly, she was outnumbered and had no hope of emerging victorious. But she stood her ground before charging right for us, bright hair fluttering behind her like a short veil.

I didn't know how long it was until reinforcements of her own came. Someone large and someone with red hair. I heard her yell out a name, directing him to take the captives back to Otogakure while her and the other would deal with the rest of us. I thought it a foolish decision, but the children had gotten out safely.

I fell to the back of the attackers, avoiding the narrow misses of her raw power. I saw a group break off from the main one to confront the red-haired one. He hadn't amounted to something great and was defeated within a decent amount of time, collapsed on his knees and ready to accept the fate that awaited him.

Then something extraordinary happened.

She jumped in front of him, taking three blades to the stomach and sparing his life. Pure chakra poured from her body as something akin to tattoos began to cover her whole body. I don't know what she said to him, but she shouted it. Made it that he was sure to carve the words into his head. She lifted him from his decision of giving up and they continued to fight through their sheer will.

And they won.

I was the only one to come out of Jomae's side alive because of my cowardice. But I'll never forget the day I saw that woman. As she left the battlefield, her red-haired companion on her back, there was a kind smile on her face with an intent to cheer him up.

"Now you owe me some mochi and sake," she said. With such power and anger, I never expected the soft heart she showed in the aftermath.

Like when she buried every single body.

I don't know her name, but I wish I did. Until then, I'll remember her as the Spring Kunoichi. For spring time is a season of great hope and strength, and nothing will compare to what I'd just witnessed.

The boy eyed his friend curiously before smiling up at the artist.

"And that's the story of the Spring Kunoichi!" he chirped. "She sounds pretty cool if you ask me."

"I... see... Thank you..."

Sai walked back to his painting and sat down. He picked up his brush, but couldn't seem to continue his work. The two genin slunk away heading off down the road that led out of the village. Once they were out of sight of the gates, the boy turned to his friend with a confused look.

"I know I left the party early, but damn, did she really do something like that?" he asked. "I mean, did you seriously get your ass handed over to you by Sakura-sama a second time? Shit. I wish I was there to see it."

The girl rolled her eyes. "Be quiet. We won, didn't we? And I stayed in Otogakure anyways, so unless you want to be berated for your horrendous fashion choice, keep your mouth shut."

"Well sorry I look fucking fantastic in chamois brown!"

::

"You told a story about me? I said gossip, not a fairy tale. Though I do like your ingenuity," Sakura said. Kisame grinned and took his customary seat on the corner of her desk.

"I had to make it kid friendly somehow. But hey, it's all over Konoha like the plague according to Kabuto. Plus, I got Sasori-san to henge into multiple people including snotty twelve year olds. You gotta give my props for that, eh?"

She chuckled. "I suppose I'll give you that."

He saw her eyes grow remarkably distant as she stared at a random spot on the wall—something she was doing more often recently. Kisame knew this wasn't a good development. He leaned in and nudged her arm.

"Drinks on me?" he asked. Sakura snapped out of her trance.

"Sure!"

"Great!" Kisame exclaimed. He hopped off his spot and tugged Sakura to her feet. "I heard the bar's got some new jello shots that give you a killer hangover and I wanna see them keep their word."

::

"Spring time is a season of great hope and strength."- Lailah Gifty Akita, Beautiful Quotes

::

EDITED 2.19.18

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66.9K 3K 21
[𝕀𝕟 𝕨𝕙𝕚𝕔𝕙 𝕃𝕖𝕟𝕟𝕒 𝕓𝕖𝕔𝕠𝕞𝕖𝕤 𝕊𝕒𝕜𝕦𝕣𝕒 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕙𝕒𝕤 𝕗𝕦𝕟- 𝕨𝕙𝕚𝕝𝕖 𝕗𝕚𝕩𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘𝕤 𝕒𝕝𝕠𝕟𝕘 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕨𝕒𝕪. 𝕆𝕔 𝕩...
3.2M 147K 72
Orochimaru never became a missing-nin. The Fourth Hokage still stood tall. There was no Uchiha Massacre. The Akatsuki never existed. Madara never bec...
4.7K 243 11
For the first three years of her life, Sakura has only known the inside of the Senju compound, until a few days ago that is. Who knew all the unexpec...
1.6K 71 21
Direct Sequel! Two things threaten to ruin the little slice of heaven Hinata has found: Arranged marriage and blackmail. Now she has a choice: Eithe...