Through It All

By madairifa

In the small town of Lakewood in the nineteenth century, the future of Adam Lancaster and Sophia Willis has... More

ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY ONE
TWENTY TWO
TWENTY THREE
TWENTY FOUR
TWENTY SIX
TWENTY SEVEN
TWENTY EIGHT
TWENTY NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY ONE
THIRTY TWO
THIRTY THREE
THIRTY FOUR
THIRTY FIVE
EPILOGUE
Author's Note
Author's Note

TWENTY FIVE

14.7K 744 42
By madairifa

The trip back to Lakewood felt like an eternity. As Adam boarded the train very early in the morning, the excitement of being back with his wife made him giddy.

The train was half empty, which gave him a chance to think without noises interrupting his thoughts. His thoughts were mainly about his father. About the things he caught him doing, was he always this way? Was he always unfaithful? He always had this deep admiration for his father, he was a hard worker, a success in the carpentry business, and, Adam thought for the longest time, an honest man.

He wonders if his mother knows about his affairs. If she does, he wonders if she's unhappy or does she just accept things as they are.

He looks out the window at the rising sun, the yellow orange light coming from behind the gray mountains almost blinding his eyes, but he can't look away. He wonders what Sophia's doing. Was she awake waiting for his arrival or was she sound asleep peacefully knowing that he will come home soon? Was she missing him as much as he missed her? Was she able to go on with her day without thinking of him?

He rubs his sleepless eyes and decides to take a nap, the trip back will surely go faster if he was unaware of it.

"Pardon me, Adam?"

Adam opens his eyes rapidly, the sunlight blinding his eyes. "What are you doing here?" He asks as he sees Daniel sitting in front of him.

Daniel in his brown suit and his blonde hair neatly combed back, gives him a smile. A smile that Adam wants to erase. Last time they spoke, it was a few days before the wedding, when Daniel was trying to corrupt Sophia's reputation.

"I was looking for you," Daniel says sitting comfortably. "I went to New York but you were no longer staying at the West Hotel. Your father told me you left to the train station."

Adam looks up at him trying to figure out the purpose of all this, but he doesn't say a word.

Daniel, feeling a bit awkward, continues, "I miss my friend, you see." Adam doesn't budge. "I know that you are still angry with me, with my history with your wife..."

"No." Adam interrupts. "I'm angry because you thought you could come to me with lies about my wife."

Daniel nods. "Okay, yes. I admit it, but I only did it because I wanted her for me, I loved her, you know."

"Did you really?" Adam asks suspiciously.

"Yes, I really did. Come on Adam, you know her enough to know that Sophia is a very special girl."

Adam can't argue against that. "You were married Daniel, why would you even approach her?"

Daniel shakes his head like trying to understand himself. "Because she was different. At the Christmas party, she was the only one not dancing, she sat by her mother watching everyone with such awe, I just had to speak to her."

Adam tries to remember her from that party but can't. His memories always leading to the sister. He wishes it could've been him that noticed Sophia and not Daniel.

"You should've seen her eyes when I asked her for a dance. They illuminated her face, like she couldn't believe her luck," Daniel continues. "And while we danced, she was so easy to talk to, she was not pretentious or judgmental, she was just a girl enjoying every moment."

Adam doesn't reply. She sounds remarkable.

"Then I would find her down the streets, or the market and all I wanted was to be by her side."

"Where was your wife in all of this?"

"She was in her hometown. She was pregnant, so we thought it was better for her to stay with her mother until the baby was born."

Adam notes he says the baby instead of saying our or my baby, but he doesn't question it.

Daniel leans forward feverishly. "Look everything was bad timing. When I met Sophia, I was practically a newlywed. If only I had met her before then..." he trails off, continuing the thought was unnecessary.

"You were looking for me just to tell me this?"

Daniel straightens. "No. I want to apologize for all the problems I have caused. I really care for Sophia and the last thing I want to do is hurt her."

"Apology accepted," replies Adam shortly.

"We were such good friends, weren't we?" Daniel comments regretfully.

Adam nods. "Yes, we were."

"And I ruined it."

"I really appreciate your honesty but let me ask you a simple question." Daniel nods. "Do you still love her?"

Daniel stands slowly as he ponders the question. "I don't think I'll ever love anyone like I loved her."

"That doesn't answer my question."

He walks towards the compartment door and without turning to Adam he replies, "Yes, I love her," he half turns but he can't face Adam. "But I will keep my distance, I promise."

Adam nods satisfied with his promise and without a good bye, Daniel leaves.

҉ ҉ ҉

Adam reaches for the front door, hand shaking with nervousness, he turns the door knob. He freezes at what he sees.

"Adam's home!" one female voice calls out and the crowd of people inside his house approach him, all of them taking turns embracing him, the women planting wet kisses on his cheeks, the men patting his back fervently. Sophia is nowhere to be found.

"Mr. Lancaster! Welcome back!" Adam turns and the Mayor Smith grabs his arm strongly and pulls him closer. "Where's your father? I was hoping to see him with you."

"He decided to stay for a few more days," Adam replies unsure as to why he was even here.

"Well, when he arrives, you tell him to give me a visit, will you? I have something very important to tell him."

"Yes, of course."

Adam walks into the library trying to find his wife and escape this crowd. But he finds his mother instead.

"Adam! What do you think of your party?" his mother asks as she holds his arm in hers and pulls him into the drawing room.

"My party?" he asks completely confused. Half the town is inside his house which makes it seem smaller than it actually is. People sitting, standing wherever they can, people eating from the platters that his mother's servants are carrying, everyone laughing merrily, and Sophia is nowhere to be found.

"Yes! You're welcome back party! We thought it would be good to welcome you from your first business trip to the city."

"Oh well, it was quite a surprise," he admits. He was really looking forward to arrive home to his wife, and his wife only. "Where's Sophia?"

Mrs. Lancaster looks around the crowded room. "She was here a few minutes ago. Oh! There she is!"

Adam follows her gaze, he sees her from across the room.

She's making her way through the crowd, whispering an excuse me as she goes along. Her blue dress hugging her figure beautifully, her hair up in an elegant style, her eyes watching him attentively.

He leaves his mother's side and walks her way rapidly shoving some people out of his way. They meet half way. She looks absolutely beautiful. Her big green eyes locked in his. With one swift motion, he pulls her into his arms. He holds her tightly breathing her in, he hears her soft uneven breaths as she wraps her arms around him.

"I missed you so much," he whispers so low that only she can hear him.

"I missed you too," she whispers back, and he smiles and tightens his grip around her.

"Sorry, sorry to interrupt such a happy reunion."

Adam pulls away reluctantly, feeling a bit mad at whoever that woman was.

"Sophia? Would you mind checking in on my baby? I think he might be hungry, I have his bottle right here, but I can't find any milk," the woman is saying, Adam rolls his eyes.

"It's in the kitchen, in the ice box," Sophia replies quietly.

"I couldn't find it," she replies extending her hand so Sophia can grab the baby bottle.

Sophia grabs it unwillingly. "Well, I'll be back in a minute." She starts towards the kitchen but stops abruptly. "Oh, um this is Mrs. Valerie Smith. Valerie, this is my husband."

"Mrs. Smith?" he enquires already guessing whose wife she was.

"Yes," Valerie responds chirpily. "I'm Daniel's wife, I understand you are very good friends."

Adam holds her hand politely and doesn't reply.

"Alright, I better get you that milk," Sophia says giving Adam a look that he could only translate as "Join me".

"I'll come with," he says but Mrs. Smith stops him with her hand on his shoulder.

"I was hoping I could get to know the man behind the name Adam Lancaster," she says hurriedly. Adam turns to look at her trying to conceal his frustration. "You see, I'm new in town and well, all I have ever heard is about your magnificent wedding with Sophia, she's so sweet, isn't she?"

"Yes, she's lovely," he replies looking back where Sophia once stood to. He lost her again.

"But she's a bit young, I was expecting someone older, a bit more mature maybe."

Adam turns dismissing her comment. "It was a pleasure meeting you Mrs. Smith, I must look for my wife." And he walks away, his eyes set on the door, ready to head to the kitchen. Valerie looks after him confused at his departure.

Adam approaches the kitchen and finds Lily speaking to a young boy from his parent's house. Lily straightens nervously. "Sir, I hope your journey was fruitful."

Adam smiles. "Very, thank you," he pauses and surveys her pink dress. "You look nice."

"Thank you Sir. Mrs. Lancaster got it for me this morning, she said I could get the night off," she adds nervously again.

Adam gives her a comforting grin. "Of course, you deserve a night off." Lily curtsies gratefully. "Did my wife come through here?"

"Yes Sir. He went to feed Mrs. Smith's babe in the guest room."

Adam thanks her and walks rapidly up the stairs. He sees the guest room's door open and he stands in the doorway. He watches his wife appreciatively.

Sophia's holding the four month old baby in her arms and sways from side to side slowly humming a tune. The baby looks peaceful as he drinks from his bottle, watching Sophia intently. Adam notices the likeness this baby has to his father. The blonde hair, his blue eyes, he resembled Daniel so much, then he remembers Daniel's dismissive comment about this baby.

Sophia turns to the babe's crib and lays him down gently, the boy doesn't make a sound. She grabs the empty bottle and turns towards the door. Adam steps back not wanting her to see him. She closes the door behind her and when she turns to leave, she jumps back startled dropping the bottle, as she finds Adam watching her.

"Adam," she laughs. "You scared me."

Adam doesn't reply, he just watches her admiring her beauty. He looks at her arms and pictures her holding their baby.

"What is it?" she asks alarmed.

He doesn't reply. He simply walks up to her, gently pushes her against the wall caging her with his arms and kisses her with such passion, that leaves her shocked and breathless.

He was yearning for this moment since the second he boarded the train. To hold her, to kiss her, to savor her. He runs his hands down her waist, caressing her rump over her dress, he brings them back up and holds her hands against the wall possessing her, sucking on her neck, making her gasp for air.

"Adam," she hears him whisper breathlessly. "Be careful."

Adam ignores her. He cups her face with his hands and kisses her some more, not wanting to stop tasting her, he plays with her tongue, she moans lowly as he presses himself against her. He pulls away catching his breath, but he can't stop, he kisses her neck again, Sophia's moans become louder and it drives him insane.

"Adam please," she begs unconvincingly. "We have a room full of people downstairs."

Adam comes to a halt remembering his unwanted party. He breathes deeply trying to calm himself down. He gazes at her, both of them breathing hard.

"Who invited all these people?" he asks clearly knowing that Sophia wasn't the one responsible for that.

"Your mother," she replies.

Adam nods, then he pulls away freeing her, she doesn't move. "To be continued," he says. Finding the bottle on the floor he kneels down and picks it up handing it to her. "Tonight," he adds holding her hand as she grabs the bottle from him, not letting go.

Sophia nods mutely, he could see her chest going up and down rapidly. He wants her right now.

WV0aGVy��=�qm�

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Amor By kaitlyn

Teen Fiction

511K 11.7K 60
Sophia looks like a simple and sweet girl on the outside, but on the inside she's a bit of a mess. Donovan is a confident and observant guy who has n...
493K 10.9K 29
When Thomas Shelby returns from war, he doesn't expect the nurse who stitched him up to be in his hometown. He didn't expect her to be Charlie Strong...
384K 11.8K 27
No one believed that their marriage would last when they announced that they would be getting married, both at the young age of 19. Through thick and...
318K 15.5K 32
Grab a box of tissues, your favorite beverage, and get ready to read the emotional journey of Sophia Lancaster. Her heart was broken in the worst pos...