It's Only Skin Deep

By EllaPenning

It's Halloween, and Karina notices something strange in the town where she lives. Among the pumpkins and fake... More

Chapter 2: No Woman Left Behind
Chapter 3: Halloween Partying
Chapter 4: What Just Happened?
Chapter 5: Getting "Lost"
Chapter 6: The Distraction
Chapter 7: Leftover Pranksters
Chapter 8: Are You Coming To The Tree?
Chapter 9: Secrets in the Basement
Chapter 10: A Light in the Dark
Chapter 11: Different By Daylight

Chapter 1: Online Chats

64 5 2
By EllaPenning

October 27th, 6:29 p.m.

I watched the neighborhood come alive. People were coming and going, setting up decorations. They were changing this normal street into a creepy labyrinth of the night, a place where evil would go unnoticed. It was Halloween.

Well- not exactly- it would be, in a few days. The date was October 27th, and everyone was buzzing with pre-Halloween excitement.

I personally loved Halloween. That one day a year, when nothing was as it seemed and you could be anyone or anything you pleased. This year I was going as a gypsy, and, since I had long ago given up Trick or Treating, my destination was a senior's party.

I looked away from the window when my older sister, Rubi, came into my room. "Do you have any black lipstick?" she asked while looking through my things.

"I don't think so. Why? Did you accidentally shave your eyebrows off again?" I mocked. Several years ago, Rubi had thought it would somehow be a smart idea to shave her eyebrows off. It took her nearly two months to grow them back. And, because we both had black hair, she had used black make up to cover up her shaved eyebrows.

"Har har har," she waved me off, "No, I need it for my Halloween costume." She continued to rummage through my stuff. "I'm being a vampire."

I rolled my eyes, "Could you be anymore cliché?" Turning to my laptop, I pulled up an online chat that was going on between some of my friends.

@somewhere_lost_in_time: so... Halloweens in four days!!!! What are u guys dressing up as??

@redfish_bluefish: I'm thinking about being a banana.

@somewhere_lost_in_time: why the heck are you being a banana?

@TheNerdyWonder: U got curves gurl! Flaunt them!! I'm gonna be a superhero :)

@redfish_bluefish: what if I wanted to be a banana? :( you just crushed my dreams...

@RazytheUnicorn (me): hey, are u guys going to Jake's party?

@TheNerdyWonder: OF COURSE!!!

@somewhere_lost_in_time: uhh... I don't think I'll be able to make it, sorry :(

@TheNerdyWonder: GURL!!!! y aren't u coming??

@redfish_bluefish: I'm coming :D

@ somewhere_lost_in_time: my parents won't let me :(

@RazytheUnicorn: really?? why??

@somewhere_lost_in_time: cause it's a senior's party.

@TheNerdyWonder: BOOOO!!!!!!

@redfish_bluefish: y don't u just sneak out?

@TheNerdyWonder: yeah!! we can brake u outta prison!

@somewhere_lost_in_time: I'm not in prison!! It's just my house!

@RazytheUnicorn: uh, guys?

@redfish_bluefish: it's official! we'll be at ur house at 10:30, on the dot. so be ready!

@somewhere_lost_in_time: on Halloween?!?

@redfish_bluefish: no, tonight. Duh on Halloween!!!

@TheNerdyWonder: kk, I'm logging off. I need my beauty sleep ;)

@RazytheUnicorn: it's only 7!

@TheNerdyWonder: BEAUTY SLEEP!!!!!!!!

@RazytheUnicorn: ok, ok.

@TheNerdyWonder: Bye! :)

@redfish_bluefish: bye all u peeps!!

@somewhere_lost_in_time: Bye, Karina.

@RazytheUnicorn: bye, bye, Allison.

I logged off my computer and shut down the laptop. Turning in my chair, I came face to face with Rubi. She smirked, "Who's Jake?" I just stared. She had been reading over my shoulder, again. "And sneaking out to a senior's party? Tut tut, I thought you were better than that."

I rolled my eyes, "I'm not sneaking out. I'm- just- not telling the whole truth." I looked at her pleadingly, "Don't tell Mom and Dad. Please! I'll never forgive you if you do!"

Rubi laughed, placing a hand on her hip, "I wasn't planning on it-" cue sigh of relief- "only-" scratch that, damn it- "if you bring me with you to the party."

It was my turn to laugh. "Why would you want to go with me? Can't you just go to one of you're college parties?" I asked disbelieving.

She sat down on the edge of my bed, "They're to boring, plus all the cute guys already have dates. I wanna go to a high school party. Remember the good old days, pick up a few hottie seniors, and get drunk."

"There isn't going to be alcohol," I warned.

Waving me off, she said, "Yeah, yeah, whatever. So are you in or not?"

I looked around nervously. What choice did I have? Sighing, I muttered, "Yeah, I'm in."

***

October 28st, 3:59 a.m.

Allison, aka @somewhere_lost_in_time, bounced up my driveway in her 2006 Honda Civic. When she came to a halt, I hopped in the passenger seat. "Ready?" she asked as I fastened my seatbelt.

"Ready," I said with a small smile and a thumbs up. We were going to the local costume shop to get Allison some finishing touches for her costume. She was going to be a fairy queen.

Fifteen minutes later, we pulled into the parking lot. "I'll check out the wing selection. Why don't you head over to the tiaras and see if they have anything that screams 'FAIRY QUEEN'?" she asked when we entered the shop.

Nodding, I headed to the tiara section, which was in the front of the store, by large display windows. I scanned the racks, but didn't immediately find anything of interest. Something caught my gaze. Outside, a normal middle aged man with graying hair was strolling down the street. He passed behind a telephone pole and reappeared...

But he didn't reappear! A little girl, maybe eight or nine, was in the exact place he had been moments ago. The man was gone. But how?

I leaned closer to the glass, thinking that maybe my eyes were just playing tricks on me. That maybe the man was still there, lurking just out of my range of sight...

"Did you find me a tiara?" Allison asked as she came around the corner.

I gave a scared yelp, and jumped away from the window. "I- uh- no?" I stuttered.

"Was... there something out there?" she asked as she looked out the window. I quickly shook my head and plastered a fake smile on my face. I didn't want to scare her. The concern slipped from her dark brown eyes and she looked over to the tiaras. "What one do you think goes best with my costume?"

I pushed the strange person from my mind and helped Allison pick out the perfect tiara.

************

A/N

Heyo everyone ;)

Just thought I would spice things up by adding that gif. WELCOME to my brand new story... give or take a few *cough cough* months...

Anyway... I hoped you liked the first chapter ^-^ and I'll see you in the next author's note ;)

SONG: Stand In The Rain by Superchick (Nightcore by Kurodia Nightcore)

P.s. The song attached is Karina's character song XD

Bye *waves*

~Alexis :3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28 0 11
A year has past since the incidents on Halloween night and the town is starting to return to normal. All of that changes when Charlie is visited by t...
441K 11.4K 29
Female reader! Completed! You loved Halloween with all of its spooks and scares until that dreadful Christmas Eve. You were nearly killed by creepy k...
504 34 28
**DISCLAIMER: This probably won't be up for more than a month lol. I don't write on here anymore, I just want ideas for this :) ** THURSDAY, SEPTEMBE...
885 117 25
A girl living an ordinary life without the ability to foresee the future; suddenly started having a dreams about deaths. And later, the people around...