Shadows of Stars

By StarsandstripesXD

Starclan does not control everything. They never have, never will. Their job is to keep the clans safe, to de... More

SHADOWS OF STARS
Prologue 1: The summoning
Prologue 3: The Beginning
Chapter 1: Dying
Chapter 2: In to the Woods
Chapter 3: Fight!
Chapter 4: How to beat a Warrior.
Chapter 5: Firepaw!
Chapter 6: Shadow
Chapter 7: Training
Chapter 8: Full Moon
Chapter 9: The Highers
Chapter 10: There's More of Them?

Prologue 2: The Sign

36 5 0
By StarsandstripesXD

Sun-down had long leeched the warmth from both the sky and the earth, leaving it in the cold claws of night. The clearing was silent, save the heavy breathing of many slumbering cats. Yet sleep would not come for all. Emerging from a lichen covered cleft, Bluestar padded into the deserted camp, stretched drowsily and then scrambled up High-Rock, settling herself on the worn summit.
"Sleep evading you as well, Bluestar?" A soft meow caused the aforementioned she-cat's head to snap round, muscles tensing as she strove to locate the owner of the voice. Perched a few mouse-lengths behind was a pretty tortoiseshell, intelligence flashing in her auburn eyes. She relaxed.
"Yes. My thoughts refuse to be calmed. I thought the night air might help."
"And what thoughts are troubling our esteemed leader?" The gentle mockery brought the ghost of a smile to Bluestar's muzzle.
"The Clan."
"Of course," A probing silence ensued. The leader sighed.
"Thunderclan is going through a difficult leaf-bare. We have just had a harrowing battle, one we nearly lost, on our own territory. Redtail has died and many of our warriors are injured. Very few kits have been born and our apprentice den is pitifully empty. Yet we have not had a message or even a sign from Starclan! It's like they have abandoned us."
"Starclan will never abandon us."  Fierce certainty flashed in Spottedleaf's eyes. Bluestar sighed again, raising her head to the star-studded heavens.
"I only wish you're right," she murmured.
"Do not doubt Starclan! Though their minds work in ways which we do not understand, they have always been, and will continue to be there for us in our darkest hours."
A dry laugh burst from the leader's muzzle "I admire your faith Spottedleaf, but how can I not doubt them? Thunderclan is in a grave situation; Sunningrocks were only just saved and our borders do not seem as strong to other clans as they once were. Our reputation is failing, how long will it be until Shadowclan decide to claim some of our territory? We will not be strong enough to fend off their attack in this state. Either Starclan is failing, or they have abandoned us to our miserable fate."
With an irritated flick of her ears and a lash of her tail, Spottedleaf readied her counter-argument and opened her mouth to deliver her response...

Which never came, for as soon as the first whispers of speech blossomed into existence, her jaw clenched shut and her petite frame stiffened as if struck by a bolt of lightening.
"Spottedleaf? What's wrong?" Bluestar meowed in alarm, startled by her medicine cat's dramatics. A queer look passed over the tortoiseshell's face, a sudden light kindled in her wide, vacant eyes.
"Spottedleaf?"
All breath had ceased to be in the enraptured cat. Worry for her friend sparked in Bluestar. What was happening? Louder this time, she tried again. "Spottedleaf, can you hear me?"
Ears twitched, and with a rousing shake of her head, Spottedleaf broke out of whatever trance she was in.
"What happened to you?"
Wondering eyes turned to the confused leader.
"I...I had a sign."
"From Starclan?"
"Who else would you expect? Of course it was from Starclan!" she snapped. Bluestar recoiled slightly at the sudden sharpness in her tone. With a sigh and an apologetic blink, Spottedleaf continued. "Sorry. I had a sign from Starclan. There was a great inferno in the sky, blazing gold with light."
"Which means...?"
"Fire will save the clan."
Shock emanated from the leader. "But fire is feared by all clans! Are you sure?"
"As sure as the seasons, Bluestar. Fire alone will save Thunderclan."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87.4K 3.3K 42
Dawncurl is born into perfection. Her mother always told her that life was a blessing and that she should never take it for granted. However since th...
1.9K 93 12
On a cold leaf-bare afternoon, RiverClan is struck with tragedy when both the leader and deputy meet their end. The Clan is left leaderless with no d...
1.2K 59 29
Minnowpaw is just like any other RiverClan apprentice. She is loyal, strong, a determined to become a warrior that her Clan can be proud of. But a st...
2.5K 183 15
Every secret has a cost, and Koipaw's secret may cost her life. βœ¦β™›βœ¦ In this world, there is neither good nor evil. Koipaw, a talented apprentice, mu...