My New Neighbor

By Ravage21

Chloe Summers is your typical workaholic while her best friend/roommate Lacee Dean is a wild party animal. Th... More

Animals
I Love Your Laughter
Go on and Tease Me
My Friend, Bean
Corny Stars
I'm in Love with a Stripper?
Just A Dream
Snowmen and Secrets
Ohhhh Daisy
Dear Patron, I Heart(Remove the 'r' and send the 'e' to the end) You
Two For One
Stupid Cupid
Bottoms Up
The Pain of Goodbye
A Woman Like You
Forever and Always
Two Become One
Authors Note
Unusual
Pretty in Pink
You Will or You Won't
Checkmate Playmate
We Are Broken
Baby Preacher
Up in Flames
Unseen Truths
Baby Blues
Fan Fic Epilogue

The Calm Just Before the Storm

8.7K 176 24
By Ravage21

Hey ladies and gents! Sorry it took awhile, had some internet issues. This Chapter gets a little rough but it has a meaning for later on. Enjoy! Please vote/comment if you like it!

----

I watched from the DJ booth, just about to put some music on, when I saw Taylor get down on one knee. I looked on intently as Lacee was sitting on a table facing him, with an eyebrow cocked.

“Baby…” Taylor slurred, grabbing Lacee’s hand, “Will you puuuuuuhlease let Zyler and I play Xbox all night?”

Lacee was clearly annoyed, pulling her hand away from him, looking to her nails, as she rolled her eyes, “You are such an ass.” She put the ball of her foot, with her high heel still on, against his shoulder and pushed him over, before hopping off the table.

Taylor laid on the ground chuckling, while Zyler stood in pure amusement before offering his hand to help his little brother up. I let out a laugh under my breath, in a sense I knew he wasn’t going to propose. Even if Taylor didn’t want to admit it, he had a romantic side and this would not be the way he would ask for her hand. Going back to what I was about to do, sipping on my cranberry vodka, as I turned the music on.

Tonight by Ne-Yo started to bump through the speakers and I hopped up on the table, signaling Lacee to come forth and dance with me. Her mood seemed to change in an instance and she gladly joined me. I finished my drink and set the glass down, looking to her.

“Tonight I will love love you tonight. Give me everything tonight. For all we know we might not get tomorrow. Lets do it tonight.” We sang with our hands pointing towards each other.

I love thing song. I put my hands in the air and swung my hips to the beat once it started. Lacee matching my rhythm, we danced as if no one was watching.

Grab somebody sexy tell them hey! Give me everything tonight.

I grabbed Lacee’s hand and we grinded against each other, our hips hitting every beat with fierce. I already felt myself being parched and let her go, forcing myself to grab another cranberry vodka. Looking around as I made it, I saw the guys watching the both of us. Their heads were moving between her and I, whispering to each other. I knew better, they were definitely up to something. Taking a drink, I made a face, oh that one is sure strong.

Excuse me, excuse me. I might drink a little more than I should tonight. Cause I might take you home with me if I could tonight.

I continued to suck on my straw as my eyes were fixed on Zyler. Dang, he’s so sexy with his black button up, with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. He had a little gel in his hair that gave the perfect little spike. Oh, get a hold of yourself. As he made his way over to me I tried to ignore the butterflies that were developing in my stomach. Why does he have this effect on me?

Grab somebody sexy tell them hey! Give me everything tonight.

“Hey.” Zyler grinned putting his hand out towards me.

I offered him my drink, assuming that is what he wanted, “Do you want me to make you one?”

Zyler put his nose to it, sniffed, and blinked setting it down, “Want to dance?”

Oh. I felt like an idiot. Great. I grabbed my drink to finish it first, “Sure.”

“You must have a date with John later.” He chuckled.

I think I just melted. No, for the most part I’m still composed, “John?” As my eyebrow automatically perked up.

“You know the toilet?” He chuckled again grabbing my hand and pulling me onto the floor.

Duh. I am such an idiot. I knew that. “No John and I broke up awhile ago.” I teased. It was the only thing to came to mind. Clearly my brain was out for the rest of the night.

Zyler twirled me around and danced pretty decent for a guy across from me. He seemed to keep his distance; I couldn’t really read his emotions but he seemed to be having a good time. I could feel myself just wanting to be close to him, but I knew I shouldn’t. He’s unavailable. Don’t let yourself get caught up in him. This was going to be a Braveheart battle; I could already feel it. He spun me around with a flick of his wrist and my hips still rocked to the beat.

I sighed as the song changed to ‘Don’t You Wanna Stay by Jason Aldean and Kelly Clarkson’. Starting to walk back towards the bar, I was yanked back straight against Zyler’s chest. His hands wrapped warmly around my waist, as mine snaked up his chest and around his neck. I caught myself biting my lip and let it go, my cheeks getting warm.

“Thinking about John?” Zyler spoke is a tone that sounded completely seductive to me. Husky possibly.

I would have laughed if my brain was functioning, but currently it was completely intoxicated by him and the alcohol. It felt like his hands were burning through the layers of my dress and could feel my cheeks get even warmer.

“Lets take it slow I don’t wanna move too fast. Don’t wanna just make love I wanna make love last.” I sang softly, losing myself in the song.

He took the opportunity to swing me out for a twirl and pull me back in close. Looking up at him, he brushed some strands of hair out of my face, before cupping my cheek. I closed my eyes and nuzzled my cheek more into his palm. His touch is like curling up in a micro fiber blanket. Zyler placed a soft kiss against my other cheek and it made me smile.

------

I wasn’t avoiding anyone the last two weeks. I, well, I wasn’t trying to. My mother has been in the hospital, as she has gotten very sick. They didn’t know what was wrong with her. After further tests and evaluations, they found a cyst, unsure if it was cancerous or the extent of what was effected. Or, at least, that was what I could gather from all the expansive terminology that was thrown my way. I had told Lacee I was away for business, trying to acquire new clients. Obviously, not happy that I had to lie to her. She loved my mother like her own. I sat on a bench outside of the hospital, suppressing back tears, looking around at the palm trees that scattered the small court yard, before looking back to my phone. I’m sure I had looked at Lacee’s number the last fifteen minutes, before I finally pressed send.

“Chloe!” Lacee said happily through laughter, “Taaaaylor stop!” She giggled more.

“Lace…” I spoke soft and low. I could feel the tears pricking my eyes.

“Chlo…” Her laughter had stopped and I could hear her get further away from the voices, “Is everything okay?”

“It’s mom.” I spat out before letting my voice quiver off into a sob.

“Chloe.. What is going on?”

“She’s….. being…. prepped for surgery….. in like 5... hours.”

“What! I… Uh.. I will… I will be there as soon…. As soon as I can.”

Lacee hung up on me. Bitch. I couldn’t help but laugh at myself for thinking that. I stopped by a vending machine and bought my mom an Almond Joy, her favorite. Why me? Of all people? My mother has always been my rock, my best friend, my only parent. This was unfair and it made me sick to my stomach. I composed myself before entering her room with a smile, tossing her the candy bar.

Lacee came sneaking through the door like she had smuggled in a gun, closing it behind her suspiciously looking around. I was laying with my mom in her bed as we watched our favorite show that we always watched together, Army Wives.

“LeAnn!” Lacee chirped then lowered her voice, opening her purse, pulling out my moms Pomeranian, “I brought Jack to see you.”

I moved off the bed so she could set Jack on it, “You would try to out do me.” I laughed.

“What did you bring? An Almond Joy?” Lacee laughed raising an eyebrow, giving my mom a hug.

“You girls know each other too well.” My mom butted in, giving Jack a good squeeze.

“That we do.” I smiled, swallowing hard looking to Lacee nodding for the door.

“We’ll be right back mom.” Lacee said, placing a soft kiss against LeAnn’s head.

“Only if you come back with the gorgeous guy of yours Lacee. I want to meet his brother as well.” My mom winked at me.

Lacee followed me out of the room as I shook my head. My mother just wanted to torture me with everything I told her about Zyler. I told Lacee everything that was going on, trying to be the strong person everyone knows. She informed me that the guys came as well and went to get a hotel.

“Zyler has been moping around. I think he misses having you around.” Lacee said sipping a cup of Starbucks.

How could I think about anything other than my mom right now. “It’s not easy being a third wheel but people adapt.” I shrugged. I had avoided his calls and only sent him short texts. So?

“No I think he misses.. YOU.”

“Lace. Can we talk about something else? I’m drained, these last two weeks have been unreal. I mean…” My lips quivered, “What if I lose my mom?”

“Mom is a fighter, she’s not going anywhere. You know that.”

How could she pretend to be so strong. “The doctors aren’t very convincing Lace. It’s bad.”

Lacee embraced me in a hug as I couldn’t talk anymore. I just sobbed against her shoulder and I could feel her crying too. After a few minutes I let her go and walked back up to the room, while she waited for the guys to come back.

My mom was watching something on Animal Planet, talking to Jack, like he was an infant. It made me look up from my book, through my white framed glasses, and laugh lightly. She truly is an amazing woman, through it all she has been so strong. I focused back on my book, it eased my emotions with the whole situation, and didn’t look up when the door opened.

“Mom…. You look as gorgeous as ever.” I heard Taylor say, embracing her in a hug.

I rolled my eyes looking up and closing my book, “Why do you always hit on my mom?”

“Chloe cant stand that I’m a cougar.” LeAnn directed her comment to the newcomer in the room.

My eyes focused on Zyler and I gave a small smile. This had to be extremely weird for him to be here. He had never met my mom before. Though, she knows Taylor well and was always close with my friends as if they were her own kids.

“One hot cougar.” Lacee included.

“Mom this is my older brother, Zyler.” Taylor motioned as Zyler moved next to Taylor.

He didn’t seem awkward. He almost seemed amused, or something of that nature. My mother extended her hand to him. He pulled it up to his lips and placed a soft kiss on her hand.

“If you’re what I get to look forward to when Chloe is older, I may just have to marry her.” Zyler oozed with smoothness.

I rolled my eyes, “Ok seriously guys its creepy to hear you hit on my mom.”

“You should. I hear good things about you.” My mom grinned at Zyler, “She needs a good man in her life like you.”

Shoot me now. I knew I shouldn’t have told her anything. I zoned out of the conversation and went back to my book. I had the last two weeks of my mom telling me what’s good for me. I can’t control someone else. They all got into an extensive conversation that I was paying no mind to, while I read. I wasn’t trying to ignore anyone or be like an outcast, but I have been dealing with this for the last two weeks and I wanted to pretend like it really wasn’t happening. Is that a crime?

“Chloe?” Lacee shook me.

I must have fell asleep. I opened my eyes. “Where’s my mom?”

“I’m right here sweetie.” My mom smiled as I focused on her.

I swallowed hard as I looked at the doctor, unplugging and plugging things into a portable machine. I felt the bile rise up and my eyes water as my jaw locked. I felt like I was saying goodbye to my mother forever and I wasn’t ready for that. I looked around and saw that the guys had left. Pushing myself from my chair I crawled onto my moms bed, cuddling up next to her, wrapping my arms around her tightly. My breath was held as she wrapped her arms around me tightly.

“Baby it will be ok. I love you.” I felt her lips press against my forehead.

“I love you so much mom.” I cried out, my chest feeling like it was constricting. I could hyperventilate at any moment.

“No matter what just know you have been my world and I… Am so proud of you.” I heard her choke back the last half.

It made me squeeze her tight. I don’t want to let her go.

“I can’t live without you…. Please… Don’t… Leave… Me.” My chest heaved with every word.

“Honey. You’re twenty six. You can’t cling to me forever. Promise me you will live for me if the worst is to happen. Which it wont.”

“I will.” I looked up to her, swallowing hard again, “I just cant let you go.”

“Chloe. I’m sorry but we have to take her now.” The doctor gave a sympathetic look.

I squeezed my mom tight for what felt like the last time ever, before pulling myself off the bed. I felt myself breaking inside as I started sobbing uncontrollably. My mother’s eyes stayed on my, filling up with tears, themselves. I had to let her go. I felt it deep inside and it made me sick. I watched as they took her all the way down the hall, she blew me a kiss before she disappeared.

I walked with Lacee down to the waiting room. Once I saw the guys, I couldn’t control myself, I ran past them and outside, falling to my knees in the grass, holding my stomach, and crying like it was the only thing I knew how to do. I didn’t flinch when I felt Zyler’s strong arms wrap around me, crouching behind me, just placing a soft kiss to the side of my head.

We all sat around for hours, Lacee, Taylor, and Zyler doing their best to make me laugh and keep my mind off what was going on. They even tried to make me eat, which I hadn’t in days, but it was a failed attempt. My stomach couldn’t handle any type of intake, it just wanted to empty itself if I did eat.

I hadn’t noticed the doctor had come out until he repeated himself.

“Miss Summers…” He said tonelessly.

Shit. I stood up. “Is my mom okay?”

His eyes turned into shells as I saw the look that was given in many movies, “There was some complications.” he paused taking in a breath, “I’m so sorry… Her heart stopped towards the end of surgery and we couldn’t bring her back.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 267 38
Maren Headly was a starving artist type in a big city. She loved creating music and performing it for the niche crowd of fans she acquired over the y...
1.5K 136 45
'She could become their savour - or their destruction.' Rumours surrounding the untamed might of a young fire dragon are spreading across the cont...
1K 476 16
― [poetry/prose] ― ho·pe \ ˈhōp \ to want something to happen or be true and think that it could happen or be true. ━━━ ❝stardust in your eyes, gli...
590K 13.7K 20
Melanie Shaine isn't just an average normal girl. She attends the most prestigous music and arts school in the nation, Miran Arts Academy. As the top...