A Fateful Encounter (Zayn Mal...

By coral_sunrise

"I ran, my heart racing as my vision blurred. Blindly, I turned the corner of the street... My mind registere... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24

Chapter 7

165 6 4
By coral_sunrise

‘So, where are we going?’ her voice rang out like a bell.

Zayn laughed at her enthusiasm.

‘Just sit tight, you’ll see’.

‘I think I’ve had enough surprises today.’ She countered and he could only smile and retort, ‘Well, you’re about to get another one.’

Zayn began driving, keeping his eyes fixated on the road. It was a nice night. The sky was clear and midnight blue like velvet with stars usually invisible in the city, but clear as diamonds tonight. They sat together in comfortable silence, listening to their breathing and the gentle hum of the car. It was Zayn who began their conversation.

‘There’s been something on my mind since we first met’ he started, his eyes never leaving the wide expanse of road stretched in front of him.

‘Yes?’ Ariella asked, her curiosity rising.

‘You just seemed so…scared. Are you sure everything is okay?’ he felt a constriction in his chest with an unnamed emotion and he found himself holding his breath.

‘Everything is fine. I was just quite disorientated that day. I honestly don’t remember most of what happened’, she said with some hesitation. She sounded sad and Zayn immediately got cross at himself for bringing up the topic.

‘So, have you guessed where we’re going yet?’ he asked in a desperate attempt to change the conversation.

‘No idea, I just assumed we would be going to a restaurant or something’ she stated honestly.

‘Nope’ he said a smile in his voice.

He was strangely apprehensive about her reaction, but she had plagued his thoughts since they first met and he wanted this to be special. He even made a specific call when she was talking to her Dad. He’d just have to contain his excitement. As he rounded the corner, he noticed that they had arrived at their promised destination.

‘We’re here! First things first, I need to check something before we go up. I’m all for simplicity, but tonight I’m making an exception’ and with that he pulled up at a large and distinctive building before leaping out and telling her to ‘stay here’.

With Ariella waiting patiently in his car, he ran inside. On edge, Zayn tapped his foot in the elevator until it stopped at his apartment. Racing inside he called to Nina, his housekeeper.

‘It’s done,’ came her gruff, accented voice as a stout, middle aged woman thumped up to him. He didn’t remember ever seeing her smile before.

‘Thank you so much, Nina’ he smiled at the Spanish woman and darted up to the roof to make sure everything was perfect.

Making a few adjustments to suit his own tastes, he smiled inwardly as a rush of butterflies knotted in his stomach.

‘Hey Nina!’ he called, ‘the rest of the night is yours’.

She grunted before turning her back and taking her leave, followed by Zayn who was going to collect Ariella downstairs, nervously wringing his hands together. He’d never done something like this before for a girl and he hoped to God it would turn out right. The night was going to be interesting he thought. A new experience for both of them.

Zayn spotted his car and jogged over, taking her hand and escorting her to the rooftop.

                                                                              *

I sat in the car, absentmindedly stroking the seat where Zayn had sat only moments ago.

‘I’m all for simplicity, but tonight I’m making an exception’. What did he mean? I began pondering over all the possibilities.

Lost in thought, my mind wandered about the question he had asked me. No one had ever sounded so sincere to me, and I was surprised by my response. Pushing these feelings aside, I concentrated on the issue at hand. He must have sensed I was uncomfortable because he swiftly changed subject. Relief had flooded me and I was grateful for his thoughtfulness.

Looking out of the window, I contemplated what was taking him so long. Just as I focussed my attention, I saw him coming out of the building he had previously rushed into. He made a brief comment to a woman accompanied with him. I looked at her but could barely make out any details.

She was short and quite well-built. Maybe a little heavy, but she seemed to have an air of wisdom and an unspoken foresight. Her skin was thick and leathery, much like an old boot and in the crevices of her face; I could faintly make out two round, black eyes. Her coarse dark hair was pulled into a tight bun and she was wearing a spotless uniform scarcely discernible under the coat she had pulled on. I decided that she looked like a nice woman, possibly a little bit unapproachable but defiantly loyal.

As Zayn parted with her, my attention immediately shot to him. He was looking down, with a smile on his face as though he had made a great achievement. His long legs stretched before him, eating up the distance between us. Coming round to open my door in a gentlemanly manner, I slid out of my seat and onto the pavement.

‘Ready to go’ he said, his intense gaze never wavering from my eyes.

I nodded, too nervous to speak. Suddenly I had the urge to run screaming, purely based on the fact that I didn’t know what was going to happen. I swallowed this primitive instinct and took his arm.

He began to explain how this was where he lived and pointed up to where his apartment was. In the back of my I thought to make a mental note of the area, but a logical side of me shook off this bizarre idea. We hardly knew each other after all.

We had reached the elevator eventually, but not soon enough. I sighed. Female attention must be as natural as breathing for him I discovered as he drew seductive stares and come-hither looks.

I supressed my laughter, before one blonde girl sauntered past us, whispering something in his ear, and dragging her lips across his cheek. I shivered inwardly at the icy glare she gave me. A knot of jealousy bubbled inside of me and I had the urge to slap her for being so indiscreet and frankly, rude.

He didn’t seem to notice my discomfort however and completely ignored the girl, brushing her off. I was surprised that when I stopped noticing the glowering girls, he wasn’t actually paying them any attention. Why did this please me so much?

It was a shockingly short ride for the distance we had to travel to the top floor. Surely he didn’t live this far up, or we’d end up on the roof, I mused.

As the elevator door opened, I found I wasn’t staring at the interior of his apartment, but at the rooftop instead. My first thought was too laugh. This was very peculiar, I’m sure he’s made a mistake. However as he took my hand and led me further out onto the roof, my breath caught in my throat.

It was one of the most beautiful moments I had ever lived through. There was a trail of lighted candles that made a path. Pink tinged petals were lined along and between these and as I followed them it led me to a little clearing. There were fairy lights draped around the walls and entwined in plants and nestled amidst this was a blanket spread neatly with a picnic basket, surrounded by plush cushions. It was like heaven.

Looking up with the stars twinkling promisingly down at us and the moon flushed with pride, I smiled, tears brimming in my eyes. No one had ever done something like this for me before. A warm breeze twirled around me and I inhaled the sweet smell of summer. It was all around us. From the vibrancy of the petals, to the clouds in the sky, stained with an evening blush.

I felt limp as my knees buckled beneath me. Swept away with the fantasy of such a breath-taking view, I wasn’t aware of Zayn’s hands closing over my shoulders and leading me to the picnic spot.

‘What do you think?’ Zayn began, looking at me with a shy, boyish grin.

‘It’s amazing. How did you do all of this?’ My voice was shaking slightly from the weight of the gesture he had made.

‘I made a call to my housekeeper Nina, and she set most of it up.’

‘Most of it? You helped as well then.’ I began smiling at him.

‘Well, yeah. In an ideal situation I would have done it all myself but I was with you and it was quite spontaneous. I did make some alterations though’

‘It’s perfect. No one’s ever done this for me. Thank you.’

‘My pleasure. It’s kind of new for me too.’ I laughed at the uncertainty that lay in his voice.

‘Are you nervous?’ I asked realising that he was being unusually quiet.

‘Maybe just a little bit’ he raised his hand and brought up thumb and forefinger together.

I laughed, completely relaxed. I was most content when I was with him.

‘So, shall we eat?’ he invited me down to the cushions and I sank down on them.

‘We shall.’ I smiled, reaching down to take off my heels.

We ate and laughed and laughed and ate. The evening was delightful. Sometimes Zayn was playful and teasing, ruffling my hair and throwing marshmallows into his mouth. At other times he was serious and intense, taking my hand and talking as if we had all the time in the world. The food was also delicious and succulently prepared.  

‘Be honest. You weren’t expecting this, were you?’ he asked after we had a big debate on the pronunciation of yoghurt.

‘Truthfully, no. I had no idea you had planned this night picnic’

‘So you don’t like surprises then.’

‘No, I hate them but I’ll make an exception for this one.’ I laughed as he fell back on his cushion. I did the same, but he wasn’t comfortable until he dragged me towards him.

In the end, we were left lying together looking up at the stars. A rush of butterflies flew around frantically in my stomach, but Zayn’s calming voice helped soothe my nerves.

‘Speaking of exceptions, when you said you preferred simplicity but was making an exception, I sat for ages trying to think what you meant. I suppose it was then that I realised you were doing something different’ I explained.

He nodded his head to show he understood and did something that surprised both of us. He stood up and held out his hand for me to join him. When I didn’t comply at first, he took hold of my hand and eased me up.

‘Let’s dance’ he said and motioned forward.

‘Wait, what? Now?’ I asked looking confused.

‘Yup, now’ His smile was irresistible and I found myself being led into his embrace. He splayed his hand protectively over my back and pulled me close. I shivered form the heady sensations going through me.

‘There’s no music’ I complained hoping to get out of dancing, I was terrible at it.

‘Yes there is. Listen’ he whispered into my ear, sending tingles down my spine.

I listened but could only hear the traffic form the streets below us. After telling him this he replied, ‘You’re just listening on the surface.’ We stopped swaying and he cupped my face tenderly. ‘Really listen’ he whispered, a hot caress against my cheek.

I was about to tell him it was hard to listen to anything when he was standing so close, until I heard it. It was faint at first, but it heightened in its intensity. At first, the gentle melody of birds singing caught my attention.

The rustle of the plants and the achingly sweet promises of the petals as they danced at our feet. The stroke of the wind as she blew sweet kisses on our cheeks. The quiet hum of the flame from the candles, rising and falling with every breath. The deep lulling voice of an owl in the distance and the newfound respect I held for the world, captured in its own perfectly orchestrated performance .

‘Nature’s music’ I said softly, willing this moment to be endless and eternal.

I looked up at Zayn, who I noticed had been staring down at me for a while.

‘What are you thinking about?’ I asked, suddenly curious. After a brief pause he replied, ‘It’s not really something I can tell you about. But I can show you’.

Incredulous, I waited but he didn’t move. He only leaned down and brushed his lips over mine, over and over again.

These painfully tender strokes made me lean into him. He never stopped his gentle assault of my senses and when his tongue stroked my lips, I gasped and pulled back.

My breathing came in sharp, short breaths as I struggled to calm my thumping heartbeat.

‘So, what would you call this? Us, I mean.’ Zayn began, clearly having recovered before myself. I couldn’t stop reliving the warmth I felt a second ago.

‘I don’t know. Would you say this is a first date?’ I questioned him.

‘I think it might just be’ he smiled, and leant forward so we were forehead to forehead.

‘Come on. I’ll take you home’ he whispered as he pulled me into his embrace. I was a willing captive to the strange, magnetic pull between us and we drove home in blissful serenity.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.8K 65 21
[COMPLETED] Never Trust a pretty face boys!!! :) That's what happened to Niall Horan, Liam Payne, Harry Styles, Louis Tomlison, Justin Bieber, and Za...
64.8K 1.1K 98
I run faster and faster. He's going to catch me. I let out a very girly squeal as I feel two sets of arms grab me slowing me to a halt. "That is no...
25.9K 575 26
I didn't know it'd be this hard to leave my home, along with my friends and family. I didn't know it be this easy to fall for somebody special. I did...
1.1M 40.8K 58
[✓] ∥ "What do you fear most?" At my childish question, she smiles and looks down. In all honesty, I thought we were going to have to stay there all...