The Dragon's Slave

By Lacey_St_Sin

The first of the Amber Aerie Dragons Series. I smoothed the silken robes that clung tightly to my soft brown... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30 - The end

Chapter 20

44.2K 2.9K 191
By Lacey_St_Sin

"Scet?" I whispered. It was a stupid thing to say, obviously he knew who he was. Shock stole my wit. "How did you get in here...in the aerie?"

Scet shook his head, "Dragon lords are self-important, they forget that their senses are easily fooled. But we have not time to speak of trivialities. The shifters have remained nearby, as arranged, but the Onyx Aeire Dragons guard the area closest to the walls, pushing us back."

"Pushing you back? With force? As in battle?" My suspicions were right then, we were prisoners.

"Mostly posturing and threats, but yes there have been a few instances," Scet frowned. "We are unharmed, but they have cut off any communication."

Hmm. But wait...

"Then why not find Dynarys? He flies the forest searching for Cillumn."

"Dynarys is being watched Lady, every move."

"How..."

Scet shook his head. "There is no time, your presence will be missed shortly. I need you to deliver this message to Dynarys, to him alone. I do not trust the other Dragons, someone amongst the delegation is untrue. Do you understand?"

I nodded.

"The aerie is surrounded, Quatori, about a quarter mile out. So many I cannot count them all."

I shuddered.

"It gets worse," his frown deepened, and he met my eyes for the first time. "I have scented Kurath nearby as well."

That was worse.

Prisoner in a very dangerous situation indeed.

"I will tell him the moment he returns," I promised. Scet nodded, and then made to sink back into his shadow. But another question nagged at me.

"Scet?"

He hesitated, but did not meet my eyes again.

"Why did the Shifters stay? Why help Dynarys at all?"

There was a long moment. "Because he is pack, whether he wants to be or not."

Huh. And I would wager his protective gesture had not gone unnoticed either. My opinion of the shifters slowly grew.

"Lady Gayriel?" A loud new voice echoed down the staircase behind me.

I flinched, and spun toward the intruder. Not the wisest move on a steep set of stairs. I felt it as I turned, my balance slipping away. I fought, but I was over the turning point and began picking up speed. Sharp stone stairs rushed upward and my breath caught in my chest, unable even to scream.

Fortunately, strong arms saved me from what would have been a fatal fall. The scent of some familiar but unnamable spice teased my nostrils. I found myself crushed against a hard chest so that I had to crane my neck backward to glimpse my rescuer.

Grim.

So much fear rose in my throat that it threatened to overwhelm my barriers. But now, of all times, I could not lose composure. This was no different than planning my escape for three years. The same danger hovered over me. I knew then that I would have to act and pretend my way to freedom. Only now, it was more than simply my life walking the blade's edge.

Using the cover of balancing myself I checked the landing. Scet was gone, no trace remained. Great six the man was fast. And sneaky.

"What are you doing here?" Grim demanded. His dark eyes flared slightly, all other aspects of his expression remained calm.

"Grim, thank the Six you were here, I nearly fell," I didn't mention that he was the reason for my unbalance in the first place. "I was receiving a tour, but my time is limited so we looked at the aerie from the upper dining room," I smiled sweetly, subtly trying to put a little space between us. It was difficult on the stairs, and with Grim resisting.

"Where is your guide Lady? I do not remember sanctioning a tour."

I grimaced inwardly. Had I gotten the shy young woman in trouble? Grim's voice had not changed in inflection, but I sensed something dangerous in it none the less.

"I am afraid I was rather pushy with one of your younger servants" I smiled shyly, attempting to look bashful. "I might have used your name as leverage to get my way."

A muscle twitched along his cheek, but one corner of his mouth turned upwards wryly.

"And where is the guide now? I also do not believe the Amber Lords let you out of the guest quarters unsupervised."

"Uh, no, they didn't. They are up ahead. Probably a ways now."

He didn't speak but studied me closely. It was unnerving, he had yet to give me space. I could see his pupils from there, his eyes were so close, and they were focused, and most definitely suspicious.

My gut twisted. What if he figured out that Scet had been there? I had witnessed his reaction to the shifters before. For the first time it occurred to me how my actions could affect the entire delegation. If Grim figured out what I had been doing...what I planned to do.

I kept my barriers firm, but the situation was making me nervous. What could I do to throw his suspicion and his thoughts from the proper path? When I was a slave it was easier. No one expected a sex slave to think for herself, or plot and plan against them. They expected willful and happy obedience.

The idea stopped me for a moment. Was Grim really so different? All of his control, and then his offer the day before. He did not respect me as a separate, thinking being, but a prize that he would force upon his dragon. Just a silly woman, grasping for higher status.

I could play that.

"Alright," I whispered, "I was looking for you."

Eyebrows rose upward, but his face relaxed a little. The corner of his lip lifted slightly.

"You were? Have you considered my offer Lady?"

He brushed closer to me, his chest rubbing purposely against my breasts. I hid the revulsion I felt and pressed in. That is what I had been trained to do. Men liked the feeling of a woman's breast crushed against them.

"Perhaps you were considering it through the long lonely night?" he continued. "Did you satisfy your need Lady? Or do you wait for me to do it for you? I can be very satisfying."

In a blink I was against the stairwell wall, with a Dragon Lord pressed firmly against me. Heat emanated from him, adding to the sickening feeling growing within me. One hand cupped a breast and the other wound through my hair, gaining a firm grip.

No. My stomach churned and instinct screamed at me to fight. I did not want such an interlude. Not here. Not with him. I wished to fool him, nothing more. I let a little of my fear through the barrier.

He paused, but did not release me.

"You fear me?" he whispered against my ear. His hot breath left a damp moisture on my neck.

"A little," I admitted.

"Good," he growled. And the admission that he sought fear, that he was excited by it, sent shivers down my spine. And not shivers of mutual excitement either.

"Lady Gayriel, it is difficult, even for you to get yourself lost on a stairwell," Pourtus announced.

Thank the Six.

I hid the relief that flowed through me, but relief did flow through me.

Grim paused, but did not yet release me.

"I can see that you're...involved, but as your keeper I must ensure you return to your chambers...in the same state you left them," Pourtus stepped closer, within reach. Not a threat, but an insistence.

For a moment I thought that Grim would not release me, he hesitated a moment and then stepped back. The loss of his support unbalanced me once more.

Emotionless, Pourtus was the one to steady me.

"The Lady chooses me," Grim announced. "I insist she is returned to me before nightfall. I will ensure your city knows her tasks are complete and she is no longer their responsibility."

"I am considering choosing you, Lord Grim," I interrupted. Then I smiled, and let a tad more fear and nervousness through the barrier to soften the blow. "Might I have some time to adjust to the idea?"

Grim did not look pleased. Something I would have dark dreams about for certain. But his eyes did not flare, a sure sign his dragon was not interested in detaining me.

"I do not enjoy being toyed with Lady," his tone was granite.

I swallowed. Pretending had seemed like such a great idea.

"I would not think of it," I lied.

"Come, Lady Delegate," Pourtus tilted his head downward. "We are late returning and Strale will worry."

We left Grim standing there, descending toward the main floor. Relief grew each step I put between myself and the Onyx Aerie Lord.

Avoidance. That was the only option from here. I must avoid Grim and hope the Amber Aerie lords could keep him at bay until we escaped. Something told me he wouldn't hesitate to consummate now, whether I was eager or not.

"Hedging our luck are we Lady?" Pourtus asked when we were out of hearing. "We shall see what Dynarys thinks of your loyalty now."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.7M 1.1M 68
Deadly assassins Allegra and Ace have been trying in vain to kill each other for years. With a mutual enemy threatening their mafias, they find thems...