Arrow of Artemis (The Brother...

TeaNHeartache tarafından

*SAMPLE ONLY* A Cursed Bloodline. A Bloodthirsty Beast. A Single Bite. The only thing Loren Bell cared ab... Daha Fazla

Chapter Two: Under Surveillance | ✓
Chapter Three: The Wolfman | ✓
Chapter Four: Stray Bullets | ✓
Chapter Five: Navigating the Labyrinth | ✓
Chapter Six: Diverging Paths | ✓
Chapter Nineteen: Intimacy | ✓
Update | IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
Update | THE UNICORN OVERLORDS HAVE RETURNED
Update | UNICORNS BRING YOU THE COVER POLL
Update | UNICORNS REQUIRE YOUR ALLEGIANCE
Update | MORE FREE GOODIES + COVER REVEAL
Update | UNICORNS ARE REAL
Update | IMPENDING UNICORN INVASION
Update | FREEDOM FROM UNICORN OVERLORDS

Chapter One: Full Moon Fiasco | ✓

47.8K 1.6K 170
TeaNHeartache tarafından

Hey guys

So I wanted you to know that I am editing this story. That means that these chapters will be updated with new information, and hopefully less errors. 

Try to bear with me as I go through it. There were a couple of plot holes I wanted to address, to hopefully smooth out the whole series. 

So going forward if you see any checked chapters  those are the ones have been edited or added.

-Ashley 

Song: Redeemer by Marilyn Manson

I shuffled down the hallway of my dorm, trying to ignore the throbbing ache in the soles of my feet. I was coming down off a long shift at the campus coffee shop, after getting a collective nine hours of sleep in the past forty-eight hours. Finals week was always brutal but it had definitely kicked my butt this time around. I had been purposefully trying to avoid looking in mirrors all day, knowing I probably looked like an extra on the set of The Walking Dead. Seriously, at the moment all I wanted was a foot massage, a bowl of ice cream, and to possibly sleep for the next century.

I slipped my hand into my back pocket and pulled out my key ring, tiredly fumbling to get the right one. I cursed softly as they slipped from my butterfingers and dropped to the floor, with a heavy sigh I bent over and snatched them up. I jammed the key into the hole, unlocking the door to my room. I had to wiggle the handle the customary three times as I shoved at the door with my hip. The stupid thing had been broken since I moved in, and it didn't seem to matter how many requests my roommate and I put into maintenance, it wasn't high on their list of priorities. 

I stepped into the room with a groan, "Please tell me there is still that pint of rocky road in the fridge, Cassie."

"Oh my god, Loren." I heard the sound of hurried movements, lifting my face I found a tall brunette male standing in the small common room. He was doing his best to cover himself with one of the throw pillows from our thrift store couch. Cassie peaked out from behind him at me, a bit chagrin.

I quickly slapped a hand over my eyes, turning myself around, "Sorry about that. Carry on." I moved back out of the room, closing the door behind me. I had totally forgotten that Cassie's boyfriend was in town. My face burned with my own embarrassment as I recalled the conversation she had with me earlier that morning, a conversation that had completely slipped my mind. I let out a frustrated sigh as I dropped my hand from my face and took a seat on the floor next to our room. I leaned my head back against the wall with a soft bang. I was too tired to move another step.

After a moment of careful consideration, I reached into my front pocket and grabbed my cell phone out. I dialed the only person I knew would be awake and willing to take me in at this hour. I began to tap my foot impatiently against the ground as the line rang a couple times before it clicked over, "What do you want now?" 

"Can I come stay at your place tonight?" I asked with a subtle whine. My sister was only about a year and a half older than me but she had forgone the whole college experience even with all the protesting our dad had done. She had chosen to go the working girl route instead and had done surprisingly well for herself. She landed herself a pretty good gig working as this fancy event planner's personal assistant. The best part of that for me was that she had her own apartment about twenty minutes from my college. Which meant I had a place to crash during long weekends as well a place to do my laundry for free.

"Only if you stop in at the Tower Market on the way over and pick me up a gallon of two percent milk." She replied back a little breathless.

"Deal." I heard more heavy breathing through the receiver, "What are you doing, Stevie? Preparing to run in a marathon?" I questioned as I pulled myself up off the ground with a small groan and start taking slow steps back toward the parking lot where I had left my car.

"Ha-ha. That's a good one. You know I don't run for anyone. Even if it meant saving your life, dear sister. At most I'd walk briskly." She joked.

I smirked at her comment, "I feel honored that you'd be willing to break a sweat over me." 

"As you should." Her voice sounded strained. I heard a wild hiss, followed by the sound of items crashing around. Stevie let out a slew of curses that would have made our mother roll over in her grave.

"Seriously, what is going on over there?" I questioned again.

"The neighbor's cat came in through my fire escape window. He got into my trash, made a complete mess of the place. As if it couldn't get worse he's stolen a pair of my underwear, again. My favorite pair." She grumbled in frustration. I could imagine the death glare she must be wearing at the moment. 

"Again? As in this has happened before?" I prompted in amusement but she didn't seem to hear me. She was too busy dealing with her current situation. 

"Screw you, you perverted feline!" She yelled her voice sounding slightly further away and I knew she probably pulled the phone away from her face. "I've got to go maim a cat. I'll see you when you get here! Don't forget the milk!" She shouted before hanging up on me. I shook my head as I shoved my phone back into my pocket, picturing my sister chasing a cat around her apartment. It teasing her as it paraded around with her underwear hanging out of its mouth.

The car ride to my sister's apartment felt like a small eternity. I was amazed at the fact that was still conscious as I drove through the center of town. I probably shouldn't be allowed to drive or operate machinery at this point with the state of delirium I'd entered into. I yawned big as I pulled into the parking lot of the Tower market. Part of me wanted to say screw the milk but I knew my sister and she would not let me enter her apartment until I returned with the milk she had directed me to get.

I turned off the ignition and got out of my car somehow gathering enough energy to propel my body forward. I knew I was really selling my transformation from college girl to the living dead from the glazed look in my eyes and the way I was shuffling around, dragging my feet.

The chime dinged as I pushed the door open and walked into the chilled building. I made my way toward the back of the store without much thought other than how close I was to finally getting the sleep I so desired. I opened the glass door and scanned over all the milk jugs trying to read the expiration dates.

 I grabbed the nearest jug and started inspecting the date a little closer when the sound of gurgling liquid caught my attention. I lifted my face, looking for the culprit. This was when I realized the store was empty. I mean completely empty. There wasn't even a clerk at the counter which caused a strange unsettling feeling to take root in the pit of my stomach. My brain was shooting off red flags telling me it was time to vacate the premises and I couldn't have agreed more.

My hand slipped from the handle, letting the door slap against the rubber pads that sealed in the cold. I tightened my grip on the milk, "Hello?" I called out into the empty space. I took a couple steps up the aisle toward the front of the store, scanning the room slowly, "Is anyone in here?" I called out trying to keep my voice steady even though my anxiety was starting to climb. Something about this situation just screamed, 'the beginning to every horror movie you've ever seen'.

I stepped up to the counter and placed the milk down. Turning and looking around trying to find any signs of life, "Um--excuse me? I'd like to buy some milk..."I heard the gurgling again, though more clearly than before. I could tell it was coming from behind me. I felt the hair on the back my neck lift and my palms began to sweat as I turned back around. I slowly leaned forward placing my sweaty palms down on the edge of the counter as I peeked over it. I could hear my blood rushing through my ears and time seemed to move in slow motion.

On the floor behind the counter was the missing clerk, covered in blood. Perhaps covered in it wasn't the adequate description, it was more like he had tried to go swimming in it. He was looking up at me with wide bulging eyes, his hand wrapped around his throat which was practically oozing blood like a broken dam. It looked like someone had gotten hungry and decided to forgo the aisle of endless chip choices and take a bite out of this guy's jugular instead. Even worse as my eyes drifted down his body I noticed the huge gash across his stomach, some of his organs spilling from the large hole.

I let out a nervous chuckle, feeling like I was on the edge of being hysterical. This had to be a dream. I must have fallen asleep in my car or perhaps I was beginning to hallucinate. It was like an out of body experience. I felt completely frozen, staring down at the bloody scene behind the counter. The man stretched a hand up toward me shakily and his lips started to move but nothing was coming out, clearly. 

I didn't know what I should do, obviously I needed to help him but I had left my phone in the car, "Hold on. I'll get you some help..." I whispered, my voice trembling. 

His lips began to move again, head shaking slightly, "Run..." My brain picked up on the gurgled word, which had my senses hitting the overdrive button.

I came back down from my out of body experience, realizing that this in fact was real and not something my sleep deprived brain had conjured up. I stumbled back away from the counter, knocking into a cardboard stand full of slimjims. I turned to the side, trying to reach out and catch it before it hit the ground but not moving nearly fast enough. They scattered nosily across the floor making me jump back, nervously. My body was beginning to tremble as my eyes frantically searched the store again this time looking for any signs of the man's attacker, which may or may not be a zombie.

When I was certain the coast of clear I made a quick B-line for the exit without looking back. When someone's practically bleeding to death and they throw you a bone like, 'run' instead of trying to get you to save them you take their advice. The only thing was I didn't want to run because that was the mistake all people made in horror movies, right? They would run away and trip then the killer would suddenly materialize.

Bam! Dead!

So instead I walked briskly towards my car, taking a page from my sister's playbook. 'Ten more feet and then your safe' I chanted in my head to calm myself as imagines of the bloody clerk rushed through my mind. My steps hastened the closer I got to my car. When I reached it, I wasted no time jumping in and pressing the automatic lock button.

My body was shaking so hard I was pretty sure I could hear my bones rattling together. I started quickly fishing through my center console for my cell phone which I had hooked up into the car charger when I gotten into my car earlier. A fatal mistake I was happy to not have made, unlike all those other idiots in the movies, my phone would not be dead. My hand wrapped around the familiar shape of my phone and I went to hit redial but stopped myself. If there was some psychopath running around out here biting into people like pieces of candy it would be best not to endanger my sister. So, I decided to go with the classic 911 call.

I lifted my shaky fingers to press the numbers, "I wouldn't waste my time if I were you. You'd be dead before they could ever reach you..." I heard a deep sultry voice whisper in the darkness of my car. I halted my movements and my breath lodged in my throat. How could I have been so stupid? Horror movie 101, always check the backseat.

It took a minute but I slowly lifted my gaze toward the rearview mirror too afraid to look in the actual backseat. My gaze was met with pair of glowing eyes, reflective like an animal. I reacted just how any sane person in that situation would react. I opened my mouth and let out the breath that I had been holding which happened to be an ear-piercing scream.

A warm hand suddenly gripped me around the throat cutting the scream short as well as obstructing my ability to breathe. I clawed at the hand around my neck desperate to get away. I used all my strength to remove it, digging my nails into his flesh. Though it seemed to have little effect on him and his ironman grip.

"Why must you humans always start in with the screaming? it grating on my ears" My attacker scolded me as my vision started to fade in and out from the lack of oxygen. As if he realized I was about to faint he relaxed his hold on my throat but didn't let go. I choked on the air as it rushed back into my lungs.

"P-please..." I choked some more trying to find my voice, "I don't have any money-" I wagered hoping that this is just some robber with a biting fetish.

My attacker let out a menacing chuckle, "Silly, human. I have no desire for your worthless money..." He forced my head back into the headrest with a sharp tug of my hair with his other hand. I felt tears threatening to spill free from my eyes and I tried to stifle a sob as I felt sharp nails digging into the sensitive flesh of my neck. I never really thought I would be the girl to head straight for the water works but when your life is in danger you do weird things you never thought you would.

"I want something far more tasteful-" My attacker breathed in deeply, letting out a sound of satisfaction, "Your scent is simply intoxicating. I will have my fill of you..." The sound of movement behind me made my body tense up. When I sensed him moving in between the driver and passenger seat I squeezed my eyes shut not wanting to see the monster my imagination had created. I felt his hot breath fan across my cheek. I had to resist the urge to gag because his breath had the metallic smell of blood to it.

"Look at me, human." My attacker commanded. I found the strength to deny him by shaking my head. He was going to have to pry my eyes open with his fingers if he wanted that. He let out an animalistic snarl in my ear as he stabbed his nails deeper into my flesh, "Unless you want me to rip you open and let the life slowly drain from you, you will open your damn eyes." Or he could just say that, that worked too.

I swallowed hard and slowly opened my eyes, fear causing my heart to thunder in my chest like a herd of elephants. I had expected to see some terrifying beast in front of me with a disfigured face and sharp shark teeth pointing in every direction. Instead I found myself staring into the face of a very beautiful man. His face was all sharp angles and firm jaw, as if someone had sculpted him out of marble. His hair was on the longer side falling near his chin. My eyes were drawn to the blood that was smeared across his mouth and dripped from his dimpled chin.

His expression gave nothing away he only stared into my eyes with an emptiness that made me want to shiver like I was standing naked outside in the middle of a blizzard. There was no way this guy was human, he was just too alien but the glowing eyes should have been my first clue that was the case.

"What's your name?" He spoke, seeming slightly annoyed. I looked at him in confusion, shouldn't he be killing me now? Is asking for my name before the kill part of his whole thing? If so this guy was even more demented than I thought. He gave my hair a hard tug causing my head to be snapped back in an awkward position, "Your name!" He growled at me as his nails burrowed into my scalp.

"Oh god! It's Loren!" I say breathless, "My name is Loren..." I say softer feeling the urge to cry once again. If he was going to kill me I'd just rather he does it already. I didn't think I could handle being tortured.

I felt pressure on my seat followed by the warm touch of foreign skin against my own. His touch caused goosebumps to rush down my arms and my mind screamed at me to escape the threat he imposed on my fragile world. He leaned in so close that he had his cheek pressed to my cheek and his breath tickled my ear. My heart began to beat wildly in my chest, "What are you going to do to me?" I found the courage to ask before my fear completely overrode my ability to speak.

"I'm going to kill you, Loren. Isn't that obvious?" He whispered into my ear. I couldn't help the whimper that came out of me. He stroked my hair in what would have been a comforting manner if he hadn't just told me he planned on killing me, "Hush, human. Accept your own helplessness and despair that in the end there was nothing you could do to save yourself."

I felt the hot tears streaming down my face as he tugged my hair again, "I will enjoy every bit of your flesh, my lovely flower." with that said he sank a pair of razor sharp teeth into my shoulder. The pain was excruciating and I let out a scream, squirming underneath his hold as I tried to push him off of me. It was useless. It was like trying to move a brick wall but that didn't stop me from trying. Slowly the pain began to fade and a strange numbness began to overtake my body. The world around me began to zoom in and out of focus as my eyes grew heavy. I was going to die if I didn't do something. My hands fumbled around in my lap finding my keys. I tightened my grip around my keys and lifted my hand toward the beast.

I stabbed at my attacker in the throat with my keys, over and over. The monster pulled free from me with a howl of surprise. He fell back away from me quickly and I watched in horror and amazement as he clutched at his throat and began to cough up black blood, "You-" He gurgled as he tried to come at me again his eyes bulging. His sharp nails raked across my chest and down my stomach ripping my shirt and slicing through my flesh. I let out a sharp cry as I pushed myself further away from him swinging my legs up into the chair and nailing him in the chest. I watched as he went to another fit of choking and coughing up blood.

It took all the energy I could muster to lift my arm to the unlock switch on my door and press the button. I kept my eyes focused on the creature who was writhing and convulsing in my passenger seat. Blood was spraying all over my windows. This was every horror fans favorite part--the gore scene. I might have thrown up if I hadn't been in shock, my adrenaline driving my need to survive.

I grabbed the handle of my door and popped it. I leaned my weight on the door and I let myself fall out of the car onto the hard cement ground outside. I hit the ground hard and the air in my lungs left me in a hurry. It took a moment for me to regain my breath. Once I did I began dragging myself slowly away from the car. I wasn't sure where I was headed but all I knew is I wanted to get far away from this hellish place.

I staggered down the alleyway by the market, my vision blurring in and out every couple of feet. My hand was pressed firmly against my shoulder where I could feel the sticky warmth of my blood underneath my clammy palm. It didn't matter how hard I tried to stop the flow, it seemed to be spilling from the wound at an impressive rate. I tripped over my own feet and stumbled into the brick wall, crushing my bad shoulder. I bit into my lip and my eyes sprung with unshed tears as the throbbing pain ebbed through me. I squeezed my eyes shut and cursed my own clumsiness as I tried to right myself.

I definitely wasn't going to make it out of the alley before I lost consciousness. "Help..." I called out though my voice was rough and scratchy, "Someone! Please help..." The night around me was quiet and all I could hear was crickets and the soft lull of cars speeding along on the nearby freeway. My body slid down the wall as my legs gave out under me. I let my head rest against the bricks my energy finally at its limit. As I began to lose consciousness I saw a figure walking towards me out of the darkness.

"We've got a live one over here. Female. Looks to be in her early twenties. Bitten." The deep voice of the stranger danced over me as my eyes fluttered shut. I felt someone grab my shoulder in a firm grip, the pain pulling me back into the conscious world. My eyes popped opened, a small yelp bubbling out of my mouth.

The hand on my shoulder loosen, "Sorry, can you tell me your name?" 

I turned my head, my vision blurring as I tried to take in the face of my rescuer. I could make out a rounded chin and a sharp nose, and a pair of dark eyes hidden behind rectangular spectacles. He seemed innocent enough, not like the crazed man in my car. My eyes fluttered shut again, "Hospital? ...Dying..." I mumbled in response. I needed to get to the hospital. 

"We're going to get you taken care of, but can you tell me your name?" 

I found my mind sinking deeper into the darkness, the energy fading quickly from my body. It took a moment to respond to his question, "Loren Bell." 

"Beautiful name. You rest easy, Loren. You're in good hands." 

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

170K 4.4K 26
If you enjoy this story please check out my rewritten version on my profile. Landon stood up and pressed Lyla against the wall so she couldn't escap...
8.5K 277 14
(Discontinued) "We're all searching for someone whose demons play well with ours." His husky voice cut through the silence like a knife. I turned, hi...
736K 19.5K 20
Phoenix; a badass werewolf hunter. After one mission gone wrong, her dad forces her into a temporary retirement. She unknowingly moves into the cente...