Jily | I Can't Love Him

By uncertainwallflower

[EDITING] "Evans!" James grinned, strutting towards her. "Fancy seeing you here, and I'm here too, with you-n... More

I Can't Love Him
Prologue
Number Thirty-Six Chipping Street
Convivial Company
Bombs Away
A Sticky Situation
The Lonely Broomstick
Mrs MacDonald's Fudge
Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs
The Absence of Broken Bones
Butterflies for Breakfast
Deck the Halls
Frogspawn Soap
The Surveying of Boris the Bewildered

Filthy Little Mudblood

6.6K 154 116
By uncertainwallflower

The four house tables in the Great Hall were gone. Instead, there were more than a hundred smaller tables, all facing the same way, at each of which sat a student, head bent low, scribbling on a roll of parchment. All that could be heard was the scratching of quills and an occasional rustle as somebody adjusted their parchment. It was exam time.

Sunshine was streaming through the high windows onto the bent heads, which shone chestnut and copper and gold in the bright light.

"Five more minutes!" Professor Flitwick's head moved between the desks.

A black-haired, sun-kissed boy with round glasses was straightening up, putting down his quill, pulling his roll of parchment towards him so as to reread what he had written. James Potter yawned hugely and rumpled up his hair, making it even messier than it had been. Then, with a glance towards Professor Flitwick, he turned in his seat and grinned at a boy sitting four seats behind him.

Sirius Black gave James the thumbs-up. Sirius was lounging in his chair with ease, tilting it back on two legs. He was very good-looking; his dark hair fell into his eyes with a sort of casual elegance James's could never have achieved, and a girl sitting behind him was eyeing him hopefully, though he didn't seem to have noticed. And two seats along from this girl was Remus Lupin. He looked rather pale and peaky and was absorbed in the exam: as he reread his answers, he scratched his chin with the end of his quill, frowning slightly.

A small, mousy-haired boy with a pointed nose sat three rows away. Peter Pettigrew looked anxious; he was chewing his fingernails, staring down at his paper, scuffing the ground with his toes. Every now and then he glanced hopefully at his neighbour's paper.

"One minute left!"

James was now doodling on a bit of scrap parchment. He had drawn a Snitch and was now tracing the letters 'L.E.' He looked fondly across the hall to a red-headed girl pouring over her exam.

After reading her answers for the third time, Lily Evans placed her roll of parchment on the desk confidently, perfectly squaring her quill alongside it. Lily twisted in her seat, stretching her back as she looked around the Great Hall.

Catching her eye, Marlene McKinnon winked. Marlene sat impatiently waiting for the exam to finish, her leg bouncing energetically as she tightened her blonde ponytail atop her head for the hundredth time. Three seats across from Marlene sat Jackie Johnson. Resting her chin on her palm lazily and gazing out of the large windows at the clear sky, occasionally blowing a loose strand of curly hair out of her eyes.

On the far side of the hall, Mary MacDonald sat folding spare parchment into a paper crane. She was very pretty; with porcelain skin and orphic white-gold hair that flowed down her back, stopping in a pristine line at her waist. Similarly to Sirius Black, the boy behind Mary sat mesmerised, his jaw hanging open slightly.

"Quills down, please!" Squeaked Professor Flitwick, the small Charms Professor. "That means you too, Stebbins! Please remain seated while I collect your parchment! Accio!"

Over a hundred rolls of parchment zoomed into the air and into Professor Flitwick's outstretched arms, knocking him backwards off his feet. Several people laughed. A couple of students at the front desks got up, took hold of Professor Flitwick beneath the elbows and lifted him back onto his feet.

Finishing the crane, Mary enchanted it and pushed it delicately into the air. It soared around the Great Hall, flapping its wings gracefully, completing three summersaults before landing neatly on the empty desk of Alice Fortescue—a quiet, patient girl. A pink tinge painted Alice's cheeks as she quickly forced the crane into her rucksack.

"Thank you... thank you," panted Professor Flitwick. "Very well, everybody, you're free to go!"

James hastily crossed out the initials he had been embellishing, jumped to his feet, stuffed his quill and the exam paper into his bag, which he slung over his back, and stood to wait for Sirius to join him. Students hastily collected their things and flooded out of the Great Hall. The five girls met in the Entrance Hall and began chattering excitedly as they made their way towards the locked oak doors. A few metres behind them, the Marauders were sauntering out of the exam.

"Did you like question ten, Moony?" asked Sirius as they emerged into the Entrance Hall.

"Loved it," said Remus briskly. "Give five signs that identify the werewolf. Excellent question."

"D'you think you managed to get all the signs?" said James in tones of mock concern.

"Think I did," said Remus seriously as they joined the crowd thronging around the front doors, eager to get out into the sunlit grounds. "One: he's sitting on my chair. Two: he's wearing my clothes. Three: his name's Remus Lupin."

Peter was the only one who didn't laugh.

"I got the snout shape, the pupils of the eyes and the tufted tail," he said anxiously, "but I couldn't think what else—"

"How thick are you, Wormtail?" said James impatiently. "You run 'round with a werewolf once a month—"

"Keep your voice down," implored Remus.

The doors opened, and the foursome strode off down the lawn towards the lake.

"Well, I thought that paper was a piece of cake," Sirius said. "I'll be surprised if I don't get 'Outstanding' on it, at least."

"Me too," said James. He put his hand in his pocket and took out a struggling Golden Snitch.

"Where'd you get that?"

"Nicked it," said James casually. He started playing with the Snitch, allowing it to fly as much as a foot away before seizing it again; his reflexes were excellent. Peter watched him in awe.

They stopped in the shade of a beech tree on the edge of the lake and threw themselves down on the grass. The sunlight was dazzling on the smooth surface of the lake, on the bank of which the group of laughing girls were sitting, with their shoes and socks off, cooling their feet in the water.

Remus had pulled out a book and was reading. Sirius stared around at the students milling over the grass, looking rather haughty and bored but very handsomely so. James was still playing with the Snitch, letting it zoom further and further away, almost escaping but always grabbed at the last second. Peter was watching him with his mouth open. Every time James made a particularly difficult catch, Peter gasped and applauded.

"Put that away, will you," said Sirius finally, as James made a fine catch and Peter let out a cheer, "before Wormtail wets himself with excitement."

Peter turned slightly pink, but James grinned.

"If it bothers you," he said, stuffing the Snitch back in his pocket. Sirius was the only one for whom James would have stopped showing off.

James rumpled up his hair and looked over at the girls by the water's edge. They shrieked loudly as Marlene, who was wading past the shallows, sent a rather large splash their way.

"I'm bored," said Sirius. "Wish it was full moon."

"You might," said Remus darkly from behind his book. "We've still got Transfiguration; if you're bored, you could test me. Here...," and he held out his book.

But Sirius snorted. "I don't need to look at that rubbish; I know it all."

"This'll liven you up, Padfoot," said James quietly. "Look who it is." 

Sirius's head turned. He became very still, like a dog that has scented a rabbit. "Excellent," he said softly. "Snivellus."

Severus Snape, who had previously settled himself on the grass in the dense shadow of a clump of bushes nearby the beach tree, immersed in the O.W.L. paper, was on his feet, stowing the paper in his bag. Severus had a stringy, pallid look about him, like a plant kept in the dark. His hair was lank and greasy and was flopping in his eyes. As he left the shadows of the bushes and set off across the grass, Sirius and James stood up.

Remus and Peter remained sitting: Remus was still staring down at his book, though his eyes were not moving, and a faint frown line had appeared between his eyebrows; Peter was looking from Sirius and James to Snape with a look of avid anticipation on his face.

"Alright, Snivellus?" said James loudly.

Snape reacted so fast it was as though he had been expecting an attack: dropping his bag, he plunged his hand inside his robes, and his wand was halfway into the air when James shouted, "Expelliarmus!"

Snape's wand flew twelve feet into the air and fell with a little thud in the grass behind him. Sirius let out a bark of laughter.

"Impedimenta!" he said, pointing his wand at Snape, who was knocked off his feet halfway through a dive towards his own fallen wand.

Students all around had turned to watch. Some of them had got to their feet and were edging nearer. Some looked apprehensive, others entertained.

Snape lay panting on the ground. James and Sirius advanced on him, wands raised, James glancing over his shoulder at the girls at the water's edge as he went. Peter was on his feet now, watching hungrily, edging around Remus to get a clearer view.

"How'd the exam go, Snivelly?" said James.

"I was watching him. His nose was touching the parchment," said Sirius viciously. "There'll be great grease marks all over it; they won't be able to read a word."

Several people watching laughed. Peter sniggered shrilly. Snape was trying to get up, but the jinx was still operating on him; he was struggling as though bound by invisible ropes.

"You—wait," he panted, staring up at James with an expression of purest loathing, "you—wait!"

"Wait for what?" said Sirius coolly. "What're you going to do, Snivelly, wipe your nose on us?"

Snape let out a stream of mixed swear words and hexes, but with his wand ten feet away, nothing happened.

"Wash out your mouth," said James coldly. "Scourgify!"

Pink soap bubbles streamed from Snape's mouth at once; the froth was covering his lips, making him gag, choking him—

"Leave him ALONE!"

James and Sirius looked 'round. James's free hand immediately jumped to his hair.

It was one of the girls from the lake edge. She had thick, red hair that fell past her shoulders, dainty freckles dotted atop her nose, and startlingly green, almond-shaped eyes.

"Alright, Evans?" said James, and the tone of his voice was suddenly pleasant, deeper, more mature.

"Leave him alone," Lily repeated. She was looking at James with every sign of great dislike. "What's he done to you?"

"Well," said James, appearing to deliberate the point, "it's more the fact that he exists if you know what I mean..."

Many of the surrounding students laughed, Sirius and Peter included, but Remus, still apparently intent on his book, didn't, and nor did Lily.

"You think you're funny," she said coldly. "But you're just an arrogant, bullying toerag, Potter. Leave him alone."

"I will if you go out with me, Evans," said James quickly. "Go on... go out with me, and I'll never lay a wand on old Snivelly again."

Behind him, the Impediment Jinx was wearing off. Snape was beginning to inch towards his fallen wand, spitting out soapsuds as he crawled.

"I wouldn't go out with you if it were a choice between you and the giant squid," said Lily.

"Bad luck, Prongs," said Sirius briskly and turned back to Snape. "OI!"

But too late; Snape had directed his wand straight at James; there was a flash of light, and a gash appeared on the side of James's face, spattering his robes with blood. James whirled about: a second flash of light later, Snape was hanging upside-down in the air, his robes falling over his head to reveal skinny, pallid ankles and a pair of greying trousers far too short for his long frame.

Many people in the small crowd cheered; Sirius, James and Peter roared with laughter.

Lily, whose furious expression had twitched for an instant as though she was going to smile, said, "Let him down!"

"Certainly," said James, and he jerked his wand upwards; Snape fell into a crumpled heap on the ground. Disentangling himself from his robes he got quickly to his feet, wand up, but Sirius said, "Petrificus Totalus!" and Snape keeled over again, rigid as a board.

"LEAVE HIM ALONE," Lily shouted. She had her own wand out now. James and Sirius eyed it warily.

"Ah, Evans, don't make me hex you," said James earnestly.

"Take the curse off him, then!"

James sighed deeply, then turned to Snape and muttered the counter-curse.

"There you go," he said as Snape struggled to his feet. "You're lucky Evans was here, Snivellus."

"I don't need help from filthy little Mudbloods like her!"

Lily blinked.

"Fine," she said coolly. "I won't bother in future. And I'd wash your pants if I were you, Snivellus."

"Apologise to Evans!" James roared at Snape, his wand pointed threateningly at him.

"I don't want you to make him apologise," Lily shouted, rounding on James. "You're as bad as he is."

"What?" yelped James. "I'd never call you a you-know-what!"

"Messing up your hair because you think it looks cool to look like you've just got off your broomstick, showing off with that stupid Snitch, walking down corridors and hexing anyone who annoys you just because you can—I'm surprised your broomstick can get off the ground with that fat head on it. You make me sick!"

She turned on her heel and hurried away.

"Evans!" James shouted after her. "Hey, EVANS!"

But she didn't look back.

"What is it with her?" said James, trying and failing to look as though this was a throwaway question of no real importance to him.

"Reading between the lines, I'd say she thinks you're a bit conceited, mate," said Sirius.

Four girls hurried past James and Sirius, attempting to tie their shoelaces and knocking each boy on the shoulder as they went.

"Nice one, James." Marlene, who had Lily's rucksack clutched in her hand, glared over her shoulder as they ran after Lily.

"Right," said James, who looked furious, "now—"

There was another flash of light, and Snape was once again hanging upside-down in the air.

"Who wants to see me take off Snivelly's trousers?"

---

"Password?"

Lily blinked. She had found herself standing at the entrance to Gryffindor Tower with no real recollection of walking there.

The Fat Lady cleared her throat. She asked again, "Password?"

"Minniwinkis."

"Took long enough." The Fat Lady swung forward. "In you go."

"Thanks," Lily muttered, climbing into the entrance hole. She hurried through the empty common room, up the girls' staircase and into her dormitory. She made her way to the trunk that sat at the foot of her four-poster bed. Two droplets splashed on her hand that fumbled with the stubborn silver latch. She brushed at her cheeks roughly, a grunt of annoyance sounding from her throat. "No point, Lily," Lily told herself. She quickly gathered a few parchment scrolls, a quill, ink and textbooks.

In an instant, she was crossing the floor once more. She was met by the door swinging open of its own volition. Startled, her copy of Intermediate Transfiguration slipped from her grip. It crashed to the floor. Beyond the threshold stood her four dorm mates: Marlene, Alice, Jackie and Mary.

"Where are you going?" Jackie looked her up and down, face quizzical.

"To the library," Lily said, swiftly scooping up the book. "Oh, thanks." She took her rucksack from Marlene's grip.

Marlene spluttered. "But—well—what about Snape?"

"What about him? I'm fine." Lily trotted down the spiral staircase, shoving her things into her rucksack. "I need to study."

"Lily." There was a shuffle as the girls followed, pooling into the common room. "You don't want to talk about it?."

"I want to study."

"Well, we're coming with you," Alice shouted at Lily's retreating back.

"Good, you can quiz me!"

---

"He keeps looking at you," Mary commented. Her eyes were narrowed, blue irises peering sidelong down the table.

The Great Hall had been returned to its usual state, and the girls were sitting at the Gryffindor table, devouring dinner after hours of study in the library.

"Shush, Mary." Marlene scowled.

"What?"

"She doesn't want to hear it."

"I just thought she should know."

Marlene turned to Lily. "Ignore her."

Lily nodded curtly into her pumpkin juice. Mary and Marlene went back to their meals.

"He's looking again."

"Merlin, Mary!"

Lily locked eyes with one hopeless James Potter. He was wearing clean, bloodless robes. The gash on his face was healed, still painfully crimson. She stared at him blankly. He wore the slightest frown. "Bloody prat," she hissed as she swivelled back to her plate, taking great enjoyment in stabbing a piece of zucchini that looked remarkably similar to his face—in her mind, at least.

"Would you two quit it?" Alice leant across the table, capturing the bickering duo's attention. She glanced purposefully to the side where James Potter was looking at anything but them. Mary, Marlene, Jackie and Alice all peered down the table at him.

"Sorry, Lily." Mary and Marlene spoke nearly in sync.

Lily waved their apology off.

---

The girls sat huddled on their beds an hour after dinner, discussing their plans for Summer. Alice was going to Portugal with her family for two weeks, and Jackie would be staying at her Grandparent's farm in Burford for the entire month of July.

"Alice, will you be back from Portugal by my birthday?" Marlene asked, turning to the shortest of the girls.

"I should be." Alice pondered. "Are we all still sleeping over?"

"That depends...will your brother be there?" Mary wiggled her eyebrows at Marlene.

"Gross!" Jackie scrunched her nose. "You can't go after her brother."

"Besides, Michael has a girlfriend now." Marlene flopped back onto her pillow.

"That's a shame." Mary sighed, rising from her bed and pulling her cloak out of her trunk. "He's well fit. We'll be back in a second," she said, tapping Jackie and Alice on the shoulder.

"Where are you going?" Lily asked as Marlene baulked.

"The kitchens; I'm still starving. I'm sure the House-Elves will be more than happy to give us something to eat."

Lily frowned, "Mary, you know that's not allowed."

"Oh, don't be like that! We'll get your favourite, treacle taaart." She stretched the last word out temptingly.

"I suppose—"

Mary didn't wait for Lily's reply. She had one foot out the door and was dragging Alice and Jackie along behind her. As the door closed, Marlene began rummaging through the trunk in front of the four-poster next to Lily's. Smiling happily, she got to her feet and wagged a bar in Lily's freckled face.

"Chocolate?" she offered, snapping off two squares.

"Thanks." Lily took one from her outstretched fingers but couldn't bring herself to eat it and instead watched it melt slowly in her fingertips.

Marlene had already stuffed another three blocks in her mouth. She offered Lily another but dropped it in fright as the door crashed open, slamming into the wall.

"The tosspot, how DARE he?" Jackie stormed in, closely followed by Mary and Alice. "I mean, the nerve!"

"Jackie, for Merlin's sake, calm down," Mary groaned, massaging her temples.

Jackie began pacing the room, grumbling to herself.

"What happened?" Marlene asked.

Mary turned to face her and Lily, sighing. "He's outside."

"Who is?"

"Snape. In the corridor." Alice clarified Mary's statement. "He threatened to stay all night unless you speak with him."

"Slimy git. Said he wants to apologise; load of dragon dung if you ask me." Jackie crossed her arms.

Lily's face flushed bright red as numbness mingled with anger inside her. Pushing herself roughly from her mattress, she stormed from the dormitory and down the spiral staircase. The others stumbled over themselves, thundering after her.

"Lily, don't. He's not worth it." Alice implored.

Lily didn't falter. "I want to talk to him."

"You can't be serious?" Jackie scoffed.

Ignoring her, Lily stepped out into the crowded common room. Her presence went unnoticed by the hoards of Gryffindors studying feverishly for their final exams.

"I'm afraid that's me, love," Sirius Black called from an armchair in front of the fireplace where he lounged, not a textbook in sight.

"Zip it, Black," Marlene snapped back.

Sirius pouted but didn't reply. James Potter stood up, having obviously not gotten the message.

"Hey, Evans—" he began apologetically.

"James Potter, you best sit back down if the reason you stood up is anything other than to water your Erumpent because now is not the time." Marlene glared at him, her hair bouncing about as she came to an abrupt halt.

Sirius screeched with laughter. James returned to his armchair.

Having said her piece, Marlene scrambled to catch up with her friends. Alice was standing in front of the entrance hole, blocking Lily's path with outstretched arms.

Lily glared at her. "Alice, move it."

"Lily, think about this first—"

"I already have: step one, hex him into oblivion; step two, there is no step two." Lily was functioning on pure adrenaline.

Alice was unamused. Face deadpan.

"Go on, Alice. Let her at him," Jackie urged.

Alice sighed, stepping aside.

Lily climbed into the entrance hole, leaving the four girls behind.

Just the sight of him made her sick.

Severus scrambled to his feet as the Fat Lady's portrait swung closed. His face was blotchy and tear-stained, his robes dishevelled. Lily watched as he smoothed his shirt and sulked towards her, head bowed. Severus looked up, face full of torturous regret and something Lily couldn't distinguish. She glowered back.

"Lily—"

"Alice said you threatened to sleep here if I didn't come out," She cut him off.

"I did. I had to see you—I need you to know..." He let out a ragged breath. "Let me explain." He stepped closer and reached out to touch her face.

Lily pulled away and swatted at his clammy outstretched hand. His face fell, causing a tiny crack in Lily's heart to deepen, fragments splintering like fractured glass. Aching regret filled her chest. She stepped forward automatically to apologise but stopped herself, steeling herself over while he regained his composure. Lily half hoped that this was all just a terrible nightmare, but she knew it wasn't; dreams couldn't hurt this much.

"I never meant to call you Mudblood; it just—"

"Slipped out?"

Severus's eyes bore into the stone floor. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Lily. You have to believe me."

"I don't have to do anything."

"Lily—"

"You're so fascinated with the dark arts. Like those house-mates of yours. Avery and Mulciber." She spat the names. "Are you friends with them? Those pureblood-obsessed bigots? Are you?"

He chewed his tongue for a moment, fighting over his words.

"Right."

"No—Lily—"

"Goodbye, Severus." Voice nearly a whisper, Lily spun on her heels and strode back to the portrait hole. She held her chin up, careful not to let any of the hurt seeping through her body show itself. She would not be weak in front of him, not anymore. The Fat Lady swung open with Lily's muttered password, shooting Severus a death glare as she closed firmly behind the Gryffindor.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.1K 1.3K 29
"So if its words that you are looking for McKinnon, I am fluently gifted with the art of speaking. But I'd much rather spend every day showing you ex...
36.4K 1.2K 36
"I have a more personal question," she ignored his arrogance. Watching him had sparked a new interest that seemed to overpower any interest she had i...
24.1K 590 40
Highest Ranking - #52 in Adventure *Scorpius Malfoy Time Travel Fanfic* Scorpius Malfoy, Bad boy- player of his time suddenly whisks to the past.. Wh...
39 0 5
"I apologise, Miss Malfoy." The hat said only to her before it shouted out, "Gryffindor!" for the rest of the hall to hear. Professors and students w...