Letters To Edmund |book 1|

By WonderlandDreaming-

"I'm a child with a sword, playing king." Have you ever been to Narnia? Have you ever seen a train station t... More

Prologue
Trailer
Chapter 1. The Library
Chapter 2. Mystery Discovered
Chapter 3. Narnia
Chapter 4. Garden Secrets
Chapter 5. The Book Of Narnia
Chapter 7. The Ball
Chapter 8. Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This
Chapter 9. Philip
Chapter 10. Love Struck
Chapter 11. War Begins
Chapter 12. Goodbyes
Chapter 13. Dark Prophecies
Chapter 14. Aslan, The Lion
Chapter 15. Writing Is A Gift
Chapter 16. A Letter To A King
Chapter 17. Captives
Chapter 18. To Save A King
Chapter 19. Bread Basket
Chapter 20. Back On The Ship
Chapter 21. Breakfast On The Dawn Treader
Chapter 22. Taking It Slow
Chapter 23. Nightmares
Chapter 24. When A Good Man Goes To War
Chapter 25. Stuck Between War And Silence
Chapter 26.The Spell That Changed It All
Chapter 27. Dreams That Feel Like Reality
Chapter 28. Professor Pevensie
Chapter 29. Remembering Narnia
Chapter 30. Beautiful Heart
Chapter 31. High King Peter And Garden Dancing
Chapter 32. Lessons From A Swordsman
Chapter 33. I Hear Them Calling For You
Chapter 34. Death After A Dance
Chapter 35. Strange Creatures
Chapter 36. Coming To Terms With The Kill
Chapter 37. Royal Proposal To A Queen
Chapter 38. Sister Knows Best
Chapter 39. Remember Me When You See Me
Chapter 40. Children
Chapter 41. Purpose
Chapter 42. Keeper Of Darkness
Chapter 43. The Flower
Chapter 44. Found In The Crowd
Chapter 45. Hands
Chapter 46. It's Over, It Is Done
Chapter 47. The Door To Another World
Chapter 48. London Before Narnia
Chapter 49. Promises
Chapter 50. Rebellion
Author's Note

Chapter 6. The Witch's Curse

10.1K 401 461
By WonderlandDreaming-

When they came back to the garden doors which lead to the castle, Angelina took his cloak off her shoulders and gave it back to him. He threw it around from side to side to get rid of the raindrops, which ended up landing on her face. Scrunching her nose, she laughed a little. Edmund looked up at her wet face from his chore and gasped, then he noticed how she was laughing and his own features softened. Reaching his hand up to her cheek to rid it of unnecessary raindrops, Edmund let it linger, "sorry about that." His fingers felt cold, but it was a comforting kind of cold since her cheeks grew hot.

"It's quite alright, I enjoy the rain," she looked directly at him, a bit lost in the moment herself.

Edmund smirked, "I've noticed that."

Taking his hand away, he motioned her to the castle door and quickly raced past her to open the door. She blamed his care on chivalry and how he was raised, he couldn't possibly be interested in her beyond simple kind intentions. He walked in behind her and before the guards could take his cloak, Peter raced towards them with the rest of the party, "Edmund, thank God you found Angelina, where were you two for so long?"

"We-tried to find the book," Edmund said the first thing that came to his mind. He gave Angelina a smile and made his way up the stairs into his room. 

"Dinner will be served soon, you must be starving." Peter ignored his brother's behavior and addressed Angelina. 

She watched Edmund go up the stairs at a very slow pace. "Yes, a bit." 

"Good, come with me then, you should warm up by the fire before you go and change out of your wet clothes." Peter extended his hand and Angelina gladly accepted it. 

"Could I possibly wear my own clothes this time? Not to say that the dress is uncomfortable, I am just used to jeans and a T-shirt?" She asked him and Peter sighed and nodded, agreeing with her.

Peter was a nice young man, he possessed all the qualities that a said king should have. If Angelina knew him any better she would say that he was valiant and calm, but at the same time, his stare could send you to the grave. To her, he was like a breath of fresh air since he was the only one who wasn't confusing to her.

They all seemed to be at least a bit stressed out from the rain, she didn't know why exactly but she didn't want to ask them just yet. Instead, Angelina patiently sat down on the chair next to the dining table and watched everyone talk. She realized that they don't have modern medicine and it would be much easier to catch a cold and die.

Angelina made her way up to her room and changed into her normal dry clothes. Realizing how much she missed the comfort of jeans, she slouched down to the ground and sat on the cold marble floor. The bell rang again, telling her that it was time for dinner and she went downstairs.

Soon enough she missed Edmund's presence, he was the only one who kept her a bit entertained. Catching that thought, she denied it and stood up, walking around the room. She didn't need his company, especially after the weird situation they were in. He was too strange for her to understand, so she decided to leave him as the last to understand. The rest of the royal guests including the hosts continued talking about things Angelina would not be interested in. They mentioned plagues that people brought in from the real world into Narnia. She was still confused with this place, even though she started to believe that it wasn't a dream but a reality.

A cook walked into the room, bringing plates upon plates of food. The cook set them all down at the table and everyone in the room sat down. A bell sounded again and Lucy and Susan made their way down to the dining area with Edmund not far behind. He looked stressed as if he was thinking about something and wanted to say it but never got around to doing so. He gave Angelina a glance and quickly looked away. He never looked at her again throughout the entire evening.

During dinner, Peter and everyone else tried to make small talk. They described the lands of Narnia in the most peculiar ways. Angelina didn't understand what the Big Stone or Telmar was. She only tried to listen closely and learn something. 

Realizing that the only person who could really explain those things to her was Edmund, she wished that he wasn't sitting so far away and would whisper explanations in her ear. She found herself fantasizing about how different the night would have been if Edmund was by her side. When dinner was finished they all made their way into the common room to play some games and read books. Johanna sat down at the piano and started playing some haunting tune. Edmund stood by Peter and Caspian discussing Narnian politics, Angelina did catch him flinch when Johanna started playing the piano. To her, it seemed like a cold storm hit his body, but he maintained his distracted demeanor. Lucy and Susan resorted to sewing something on the couch near the fireplace, and Angelina picked out one of the books on the many shelves.

"That one is my favorite," she heard a voice speak from behind her and was met with Edmund's eyes when she turned around.

She looked down at the book she picked up: Julius Cesar by Shakespeare, "Shakespeare in a magical realm? Interesting."

Edmund smiled down at the ground and took the book from her hands, "I read this play in school."

Remembering that Peter told her that he and his siblings were from the 1940s she smiled, "right, you are from a completely different time."

"Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once, of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear death, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." He quoted one of the lines from the play and kept his gaze on her. His eyes were telling her something, but she had yet to decode his strange cipher. Angelina couldn't help but smile, every time when she was about to give Edmund some flaw in his character, he would prove her wrong. There he was, quoting out of a damn Shakespearian play, like a perfect Mr. Darcy.

Lucy stood up and exclaimed, "I want a ball! It's been a while since we had one, and since Angelina joined our castle, we should have a ball." 

Johanna stopped playing abruptly, her hands smashing the keys of the piano making a loud noise. Everyone looked at her. Peter patted Lucy on the head and smiled, "I think it's a splendid idea. What do you think Edmund since you were so occupied with that favorite play of yours?" Peter turned to his brother trapping him in an awkward situation. 

"If the lady so wishes," He locked his eyes with hers and smirked a little bit. 

"I think a ball is a good idea," Angelina looked down at the ground wishing that the entire room was not staring at her at that moment. 

"Splendid, then I beg that I have the first dance with you," Peter walked up to her, raising his glass and making her feel encouraged. The first dance with the highest king of Narnia, she was moving up on the success scale.

"Of course." She smiled widely. 

"I claim the second dance!" Caspian exclaimed and joined Peter by Angelina's side. "What about you Edmund, don't let any of the handsome knights take the king's place," Caspian winked. 

"Then they will have to fight me for it, would you let me have the third dance?" He bowed in a medieval manor, still keeping his eyes on hers. 

She felt like she was in a fairy tale with the perfect princess trying to fight for her heart, so far Edmund was winning by far, "yes."

Johanna and Corrine looked at each other and smiled, "do we get dances?" Corrine asked, "if so, I claim the first one with Caspian!" 

"I claim the first with Edmund!" Johanna shouted, a bit too loud for everyone's liking. She wanted to walk over and grab his hand, but he slipped behind his brother, skillfully.

"Very well," Caspian smiled awkwardly looking at Edmund as if he knew something. "Shall we go and enjoy the gardens once more? I heard they were extra lovely in the night," He took Corrine's hand and led her away from the crowded room. 

"Would you be so kind, king Edmund as to show me the gardens too?" Johanna smiled, turning to Edmund who she knew could not say no, especially when his brother was around. 

Edmund looked at his brother angrily and then back at Johanna, "of course." He said with no emotion and extended his hand for her to take, but his eyes were screaming annoyance. He didn't keep her close to him like Caspian kept Corrine, it was evident that Edmund did not enjoy the proximity between him and Johanna. He had to endure it, however, for courtesy sake. Perhaps "show me the gardens" was some secret code of sorts, or that was just their excuse to get some fresh air.

"Well, I am going to go up to my room," Angelina smiled at the rest of the party and made her way upstairs. If she wanted to explore the castle, which she did, now was her chance. But something about the dark and the silence scared her.

When she reached her room, she fell on her bed remembering everything that happened and the weird encounter she had with Edmund in the garden. She heard voices coming from under her balcony. Hearing Edmund's voice made her curious, so she walked up to her balcony and stood behind the large column in the middle to not be spotted.

"You can't do this Johanna!" Edmund was frustrated about something. 

"I only read the book a few times, I am stronger I can defeat the evil!" Johanna defended herself. 

"You can't defeat evil with more evil. Trust me it is a temptation, I have been through it!" He raised his voice. 

"What exactly were you tempted to do, perhaps love a woman with all your body and soul?" Angelina heard Johanna's voice change from scared to seductive, it was like she wanted to get away from his wrath by tricking him. 

"No. I have been tempted to do far worse things. Do not try to do this to me," Edmund's voice sounded angrier. 

"Just one kiss your majesty and I am yours," her words made Angelina's heart grow cold, how could she throw herself on him like that, and was he excited by that or uncomfortable? Perhaps she stood in front of two lovers who had a quarrel but truly loved each other, thinking that made Angelina sad for some reason, but then she heard Edmund's words.

"Johanna, you know that the wedding is canceled," It sounded like Edmund was walking away. 

"Did the white witch scar you that much that you are afraid of a woman's touch?" Johanna's words stopped him and Angelina sneaked to the side of her balcony to see the scene unravel. Johanna threw herself on his back, holding his shoulders.

"If I ever fall in love Johanna, I will let you know," Edmund turned rapidly facing Johann. "but that will never be you, you are cruel and manipulative. Besides, I simply do not have time for love at such an hour as this." With those words, he walked away. 

"What about my book?" She called after him, deep hurt in her voice. 

"You will not practice witchcraft in this house, not in Aslan's house!" Edmund put the book into his pocket. 

"You still think Aslan will magically appear and save everyone from the evil that is to come? You are a fool." Johanna's dark laugh filled the gardens. 

"Let me be a fool, but I will never turn to evil for help." Were Edmund's last words as he walked away. 

Angelina wanted to find out more, the conversation she overheard ended, and she wanted to know what lead to it. There was certain darkness around the castle that she felt, it was coming from the unknown and it embodied fear, using fear like its weapon against the righteous.

The next day she didn't see much of Edmund, he was in the throne room solving a couple of court cases. She decided that it was the perfect day to study the book some more. There were a couple of things that were confusing to her, particularly the part about how the Pevensies returned to Narnia and met Caspian who technically was supposed to be against them. Not finding any explanation to her questions, Angelina decided to go find one of the Pevensies, or if the situation called for it, Caspian himself. She sneaked around the castle halls until she found the tall doors which lead to the throne room. Putting her ear to the golden doors, she listened. There was no sound, no court case going on. Deciding that she would go in, she tried pulling at the door, but it wouldn't open. Suddenly, the door was pulled back and the confused face of a guard met hers.

"Hello," she smiled politely.

The guard moved out of the way and she entered the throne room. Again, she was mesmerized by the tall walls and the windows that let in the sunlight from all the corners. Edmund was sitting on his throne, looking through some papers. He was now wearing a crown on his head, something unusual to her. She had never seen him in his crown, although Peter always wore his. Edmund's crown was silver, covered with silver birch leaves that were perking out of the metal crown. He has his hand on his chin, thinking deeply about a case he just judged. When he heard someone approach, he looked down from his throne and smiled at Angelina. Putting down the papers he walked down to her.

"Welcome, to my not so humble abode," he spread his arms out as if showing all the majesty of the room.

Angelina smirked, "right, so I have a few questions I'm hoping you might answer." She put the book down on the floor in front of him and sat down on one of the steps. Edmund joined her on the floor and listened to her questions, trying to explain everything to the best of his abilities. In the middle of the conversation, she noticed that he kept sneezing and that his nose sounded stuffed. Putting the back of her hand on his forehead she furrowed her eyebrows.

"Are you sick?" She asked, measuring his temperature.

Edmund rolled his eyes, "only a little, nothing I can't handle."

She shook her head, "come, we're making you tea." She took him by the hand and stood up with him.

He pulled her back, "the servants can make me tea, and you have a lot of questions that need answers."

Angelina crossed her arms in front of her chest, "yeah, but that can wait, you getting sick can't. Besides, the servants can't make the kind of tea I make."

Deciding not to protest any further, Edmund complied and followed her down to the kitchen. All of the time she kept scolding him for going out into the rain without a cloak or any protection from the merciless winds and drops. He patiently listened, rolling her eyes at every comment she made about his recklessness. Perhaps they were becoming too close, he thought.

In the kitchen, Angelina took one of the pots and poured water into it. She found some ginger and cut it up into small pieces, throwing them into the water. The fire in the fireplace was dying and she didn't know how to light it up again. Seeing her confusion, Edmund smirked and took some firewood from the side of the chimney and put it in. She handed him the pot and he put it on the fire. Clapping the access wood off his hands. Sitting him down at one of the tables, Angelina peeked into every cupboard in search of honey. When she finally found some, she put it down on the table next to him.

Edmund's head fell down on his arms which were situated in front of him on the table. He was tired of being sick and from all the court cases he had to judge. He listened to her walking around the kitchen, busy with whatever she was making. It reminded him of the times his mother was bothered by him being sick, she would always run around the kitchen to make him soup and read him bedtime stories.

She sat the ready cup of tea in front of him, pouring some honey into it. Edmund looked up at her with a small smile and took the cup.

"Thank you," he motioned the cup at her as if saying 'cheers'.

Angelina wiped the table with a rag she found somewhere, "careful it's hot!"

He nodded and took a sip, instantly burning his tongue, and spitting some of it back out. She laughed at him and put her hands to her hips. "I told you it's hot."

They both laughed at the situation. Edmund had never tasted tea like that before. It instantly gave him relief from his sickness. Although he still didn't feel better and got more sick for a few days, she made sure to stay by his side and care for him. Although she didn't do much and the servants always took over, she was still working with him on figuring out the book of Narnia. He always joked how she would get sick from sitting so close to him, and she'd push him away, saying he was contaminated with germs.

She spent every day with the Pevensie sister, their brothers joining them on occasion. Any time she wanted to explore the castle further, Edmund was there to help. Soon enough they became close friends, she confided in him and told him everything that bothered her. He did the same, but he was still too afraid to reveal what haunts him the most. When a whole week passed them, Angelina and Edmund grew to call each other best friends. She was close to Lucy of course, but not as much as she was with Edmund.

One day, after the third week she spent in Narnia, she was invited to play a friendly game of horse racing. Angelina did not know how to ride a horse, and the second she got on, the horse did not obey her. Edmund offered to give her riding lessons, claiming that he'd make the best horseman out of her in Narnia, or horsewoman. The Pevensie siblings bonded with Angelina, far more than they did with their royal guests Johanna and Corrine.

They spent hours studying the yellowed pages of the book. Edmund recognized some of the stories in the book as his own and his siblings. Angelina skipped an enormous chunk of information, in the beginning, to get to her story. They were still trying to put the puzzle pieces of the book together. 

On a day like this, Edmund was laying down on the floor, his stomach touching the cold marble of the library. Angelina was reading another segment on Prince Caspian and his history. Edmund resorted to another book, one of chronological Narnian history. Sighing, he put it down and rested his head on his stretched arm. She was still consumed by the strange book of prophecies about Narnia when he pulled the book away from her view.

"How about we take a rest? We've covered ourselves with many books already, don't you think?" He said pointing at all the stacks surrounding them.

She frowned, "I was about to read the most exciting part! Apparently wherever I go danger follows me, or whoever that strange girl that looks like me is."

Edmund put his knee up to his chin, tilting his head to the side, "you're safe on these castle grounds, nothing can hurt you."

Angelina shook her head, "if this world is full of magic then how can you be certain that nothing bad will happen to me?!"

He thought for a moment, realizing the shock that hit her, the life that was being threatened, "then you have my vow of protecting you. No harm will come to you Angelina, believe me. Besides, I am the best swordsman in all of Narnia."

"Well, I hope it doesn't come down to swords," she looked down, no matter how much she appreciated his dedication to their friendship, his words scared her. She looked at his anxious expression and closed her eyes. "You're right, we do need a break."

His features lightened up and he sat up, straightening his back. She did the same, facing him. Deciding that it was the perfect time to pester him with strange questions, she asked what his favorite color was. Copying her amused smile, he told her that his favorite color was red, to him it represented courage and the army of the great Lion he was fighting for. When she continued her fun interrogation, Angelina found out much more about Edmund. He was interesting to listen to and her eyes were opening to a lot of things she had not noticed before. Crinkles formed by his eyes whenever he smiled, and he'd always look down at the ground as if he were shy of something. His eyebrows knitted together a lot, mostly in ambivalence. He also had freckles on his cheeks that were barely visible and could only be spotted if you looked at his face intently. Which she did. At that moment she studied him like the many stacks of books which were beside them.

"Well?" Edmund raised his eyebrows and woke her up from the deep thoughts she was falling asleep in.

Angelina shook her head, "well, what?"

"Who is your favorite painter?" He rephrased his question, shaking his head in disapproval of her zoning out.

She thought for a moment, "Vincent Van Gogh because his life was tragic and he never found refuge, only chasing bits and pieces of his art to calm his soul. There is something beautifully poetic in his pain."

He tilted his head, listening to her, "interesting."

Looking around at the many books she said ardently, "we should get back to our research."

When she opened the book of Narnia back up, she saw something about a witch's curse, something that plagued Narnia every time Aslan left. It was up to the Keeper of Aslan's light to stop the curse from spreading and destroy its source. She showed the page to Edmund and he looked at it.

"This is you, this is your destiny," he smiled, "you're the keeper of light."

Edited (4/1/2020)

A/N: Again, this is an edited chapter, and I added a lot to the plot as well as changing it a little bit. I hope you still enjoyed reading it even if it is different from what you remember. Or perhaps you're new and you have no idea what I am talking about XD.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

269K 6.4K 45
❝𝔅𝔒𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔒 π”„π”‘π”žπ”ͺ'𝔰 𝔣𝔩𝔒𝔰π”₯ π”žπ”«π”‘ π”„π”‘π”žπ”ͺ'𝔰 π”Ÿπ”¬π”«π”’ 𝔖𝔦𝔱𝔰 𝔬𝔫 𝔱𝔬𝔭 𝔬𝔣 𝔱π”₯𝔒 𝔱π”₯𝔯𝔬𝔫𝔒, 𝔄𝔫𝔬𝔱π”₯𝔒𝔯 𝔬𝔫𝔒 𝔬𝔣 π”„π”‘π”žπ”ͺ'οΏ½...
32K 669 51
𝗼𝗼𝗼. β–Ž" SHE'S JUST A CHILD, BUT A CHILD GROWS. " πŠπ€π“π‡π„π‘πˆππ„ π†πŽπ‘ππ„π‹π‹π„ was forced into Narnia by the age of seven. She was left...
15K 258 15
Around a year after they have returned from Narnia Edmund falls ill and the doctors believe they cannot save them. A message from Aslan reaches the P...
126K 3.8K 28
Edmund Pevensie was craving Narnia. He was craving the warmth, all of his friends and the ability to lead an army without being frowned upon for his...