Harry Potter and Claire Smith...

By MykalaMcGuire

The Pretender is the fourth installment of this series. Hoping for a danger free year is like asking for a mi... More

First Day at Grimmauld Place
Mother-Daughter Day & A Talk with Sirius
Sirius's Trial
Lies in the Paper and Possibly in Dreams
Surprises at the World Cup and the Burrow
Dress Robes and Suspicions
Summer's End and the Term Begins
A Deadly Competition
First Day
Snargaluff, Curses, and S.P.E.W.
Dreams History Barbies and Bodybuilders
โ€‹Chat with Dumbledore & the Champions
The Last Straw
Sure Has Been Some Week, Hasn't it?
Please Tell Me You Didn't Say Dragons
Fighting Fire With...A Broomstick?
Hermione and the House-Elves
The Nightmare on Christmas
Cracking Cases & Sleazy Faces
The Egg's Song
Something in the Water
Something Else
Blast to the Past
Chapter 25 Sneak Peek
Rewriting Series

Dances, Dates, and Drama

226 9 2
By MykalaMcGuire

Chapter 18: Dances, Dates, and Drama

It was Friday morning when Claire, Harry, Ron, and Hermione spotted a crowd outside the Great Hall. There was a new notice posted on the bulletin board, which hung right outside the Great Hall. The four of them read the new sign.

Classes will be cut short today. Students in their third year and up are required to meet at their designated locations (see bottom for locations) after the last bell of the day rings. Please wear comfortable shoes.

Gryffindor House—Transfiguration Classroom

"What do you reckon this is all about?" Ron questioned as Claire, Harry, and Hermione tried to read the notice above the other students' heads.

"Don't know, but at least we get out of classes early," Claire said.

"Maybe they're telling us important news," Harry said as the four them entered the Great Hall for breakfast.

"If that's the case, why would it matter what shoes we're wearing?" Claire questioned.

"Of course," Hermione said suddenly. "This must be about the Yule Ball!"

"The what?" Claire, Harry, and Ron said in unison, confusion etched on their faces.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Yule Ball is a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament as well as an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests." Claire, Hermione, Harry, and Ron, along with the other Gryffindors, were in the Transfiguration classroom; the boys were on the left side of the room and the girls were on the right. They were seated in chairs as they listened to Professor McGonagall talk about the upcoming event.

"Now," Professor McGonagall continued, "the ball will be opened to only third years and above—although you may invite a younger student if you wish. Dress robes will be worn."

Claire groaned at this. McGonagall gave Claire a stern look before continuing.

"The ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight in the Great Hall. Now then—"

Professor McGonagall stared deliberately around the classroom.

"The Yule Ball is of course a chance for us all to—er—let our hair down," she said, in a disapproving voice.

Lavender giggled harder than ever, with her hand pressed hard against her mouth to stifle the sound.

"But that does NOT mean," Professor McGonagall went on, "that we will be relaxing the standards of behavior we expect from Hogwarts students. I will be most seriously displeased if a Gryffindor student embarrasses the school in any way. As representatives of the host school I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward, and I mean this quite literally because the Yule Ball is first and foremost... a dance."

While the girls squealed in excitement, the boys (and Claire) groaned in annoyance.

"Oh, c'mon, Claire. It sounds so exciting!" Hermione squealed.

"Yeah, I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun!" Ginny, who was seated on Claire's left side (Hermione was on Claire's right), agreed.

Claire scoffed, "Yeah, right."

"Silence!" Professor McGonagall shouted. The room went quiet. "The house of Godric Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizarding world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you in the course of a single evening besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons!"

Claire noticed Fred and George whispering to each other; no doubt trying to repeat the alliteration.

"Now to dance is to let the body breathe, inside every girl a secret swan slumbers longing to burst forth and take flight," McGonagall continued.

Claire snorted. "That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard."

"Shhh!" Hermione told her.

"Inside every boy a lordly lion prepared to prance. Mr. Weasley, will you join me." Professor McGonagall was now standing in front of Ron, who had been talking to Harry. Ron looked confused. "Now would be preferable, Mr. Weasley."

Ron hesitantly stood up and followed Professor McGonagall to the middle of the room. The students started snickering; Ron was going to have to dance with Professor McGonagall.

"He's never going to live this down." Claire said to Hermione and Ginny, with a smile.

Hermione rolled her eyes at her friend, while Ginny was trying to stop laughing.

"Miss Smith," Professor McGonagall said.

Claire's smile faltered. She had a bad feeling. "Yes, Professor."

"Come join Mr. Weasley and I," Professor McGonagall said.

Ginny hid her laughs behind her hand. Claire sent a glare at her. Hermione didn't seem to find it funny though. She had an odd look on her face that Claire hadn't seen before.

"Um, thanks for the offer, Professor McGonagall, but I'm perfectly content with sitting here." Claire said. "Besides, I don't know how to dance."

"It wasn't an offer, Miss Smith, it was an order." Professor McGonagall replied. "And the whole purpose of this is to teach you how to dance."

Claire sighed reluctantly and walked to the middle of the room where Ron and Professor McGonagall were standing. The students were still snickering; she could see Ginny and the twins laughing.

"Mr. Weasley, Miss Smith, stand in front of each other face to face please," Professor McGonagall instructed them.

They did as she said. It was obvious the two of them were wishing they weren't there at the moment.

"Miss Smith, Mr. Weasley, take each other's right hand," Professor McGonagall said.

Ron and Claire exchanged looks of disgust.

"Professor, is this really necessary?" Claire questioned.

"Yes, Miss Smith." Professor McGonagall replied. "Now just do as I say."

Claire pulled the bottom of her sleeve over her hand. Ron looked at her strangely.

"What are you doing?" Ron questioned.

"I don't know what you do with your hands, Ronald." Claire said.

Ron rolled his eyes and awkwardly took her hand. Professor McGonagall then positioned their elbows where they were slightly bent and their right hands (which were still together) were leveled with their eyes. When McGonagall finished, she gave them the next step.

"Alright, Miss Smith, place your left hand, lightly, on Mr. Weasley's left shoulder."

Claire did as she was told.

"For the final step, Mr. Weasley, place your hand on the left side of Miss Smith's waist."

"Her what?" "My what?"

All the students were chortling.

"Her waist, Mr. Weasley." McGonagall repeated.

Claire and Ron were blushing bright red in embarrassment as he put his hand on her waist. Fred and George wolf-whistled teasingly causing the students to laugh harder. Claire and Ron both sent them a glare.

"Everyone quiet down!" Professor McGonagall told the students. "Now, that you are both positioned. It's time for you both to learn the steps to a traditional Slow Waltz. When dancing a Slow Waltz, you must count in threes; 1-2-3. Miss Smith, you will take a step back diagonally with your left foot and Mr. Weasley you will take a step forward with your right. You should end up standing in front of each other again, much like how you both are now. You'll continue this movement throughout the song. Mr. Filch, proceed with the music."

Filch, who Claire just noticed, was standing by an old brass gramophone. It was similar to a record player, but had a large speaker, which resembled a tuba, that played out a slow tempo. Music began to play and Professor McGonagall began to count for them as they followed the steps they'd been given.

"Ow, that was my foot, Ron!" Claire said, as he stepped on her foot.

"Sorry—ow!" Claire had purposely stepped on his foot. He glared at her.

As the song played, Professor McGonagall told the other students to partner up. Neville was the first to partner up. He chose Ginny. Soon, everyone had a dancing partner and Professor McGonagall went around the room fixing mistakes. Claire was glad when McGonagall dismissed them.

"You all did a superb job. Just keep practicing the movements." Professor McGonagall said. "You're all dismissed. Mr. Potter, Miss Smith, Mr. Weasleys—no, the twins— would you all stay after for just a moment. Mr. Weasleys and Miss Smith wait outside while I talk to Mr. Potter."

Claire, Fred and George stood outside the classroom waiting to go back inside.

"Nice dancing, Claire." Fred teased her.

"Shut up before I step on your foot." Claire threatened.

Fred rolled his eyes. "Yeah, right. You wouldn't do—Ow! That hurt!"

"She did warn you, Freddie." George said, snickering.

Fred glared at his brother.

"Wonder why McGonagall wants to see us?" George thought out loud, ignoring Fred's glare. "We haven't pulled any pranks lately that could've gotten us in trouble."

"I guess we'll be finding out shortly." Claire said. "What do you two think of this whole Yule Ball thing?"

The twins shrugged and said, "We're indifferent."

"I still think that twin telepathy thing you two do is creepy." Claire said.

Just then, Harry exited the classroom and Professor McGonagall called them in.

"Do you want me to wait for you, Claire?" Harry asked.

Claire shook her head. "No, it's alright. I'll see you at dinner."

Harry nodded in response and headed to dinner. Claire followed the twins inside the classroom, shutting the door behind them.

"You needed to speak with us, Professor McGonagall?" Claire said.

McGonagall nodded. "Yes. I have a preposition for you three. It involves decorating for the Yule Ball."

The twins and Claire exchanged confused glances at one another.

"Uh, Professor, we're not exactly the best people for decorating..." George said.

"For the particular task I have in mind, I believe you three will satisfy the requirements." McGonagall replied.

"What sort of decorating are you asking from us?" Claire asked.

"Well, seeing as the students seemed to enjoy your snow stunt several years ago, I thought you might be willing to make that happen again for the Yule Ball." Professor McGonagall said. "Of course, this time, try not to drown the Hall in snow. A simple, light snowfall should do the trick."

"Hmmm," Fred said, placing his hand on his chin, thinking. "Give us a moment to think this over."

Professor McGonagall nodded and Claire, Fred, and George faced each other.

"So, what do you think, Georgie, Claire-bear? Should we do it?" Fred asked them.

Claire glared at him for using that nickname before speaking. "Well, it'd be a good opportunity to show what you can accomplish and promote your business."

"Good point," George nodded his head. "But maybe, we should include something else as well. Something that will help make our business stand out rather than just some boring old snow falling from the ceiling."

"What do you mean?" Claire asked.

George shrugged while Fred's face lit up.

"Fireworks!" Fred said. "We could have a firework display at the end of the Yule Ball. We could have people pay to have messages written in the sky with the fireworks! We'd make a fortunate!"

"That's not a terrible idea," Claire replied. "The only thing we need is McGonagall's permission."

"So, are we accepting her proposal as well as asking about the use of fireworks at the end of the event?" George asked.

Claire and Fred nodded their heads and the three of them turned their attention back to Professor McGonagall.

"I assume you've thought this over, am I correct?" Professor McGonagall asked them.

"Yes, Professor," Claire said. "We've decided we'll create snow for the Yule Ball. However, we'd like to add something."

"And what is that?" Professor McGonagall asked skeptically.

"We'd like to set off fireworks, Professor. Not in the Great Hall, of course, but outside. It'd be a nice way to cap off the evening, don't you think?" Fred said.

"I suppose, as long as nothing gets set on fire I could allow that. Miss Smith, I trust you'll keep these two in line." Professor McGonagall said.

"Sure thing, Professor," Claire said.

"Then you have my permission to set off fireworks at the end of the Yule Ball." Professor McGonagall replied. "I will notify you for when you must decorate the Hall. Until then, I believe there's half an hour of dinner left. I suggest you three get to the Great Hall if you want to eat."

The three departed from the classroom and set off to the Great Hall.

"I guess we'll have to start planning out what we're going to do." George said.

"Yeah, we should probably get started on that within the next week or so." Claire said.

"Why'd Professor McGonagall put you in charge over us?" Fred asked Claire, completely ignoring their conversation. "We're older than you!"

"It's because I'm the most mature out of the three of us." Claire said simply.

"That's sadly true," George said.

"No, it's not!" Fred said indignantly. "I'm all sorts of mature!"

George whistled guiltily as Claire patted Fred's shoulder and said, "You keep on believing that. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go catch up with Hermione, Harry, and Ron. See you two later."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Claire entered the Great Hall and spotted her three friends. She sat next to Harry. Claire greeted them as she piled food on her plate.

"Why'd Professor McGonagall need to talk to you and the twins?" Hermione asked curious.

"She wants us to decorate for the Yule Ball." Claire said, pouring some tea into her goblet.

"Decorate? Why'd she choose you three for that?" Ron questioned as he ate his mashed potatoes. "You don't know anything about decorating."

"McGonagall wanted us to make it snow in the Great Hall." Claire said.

"You mean like you did in first year?" Harry asked.

Claire nodded her head. "Exactly. However, we're also planning on using fireworks too."

"Fireworks? McGonagall's allowing them to do that?" Ron said in disbelief. "They'll set the place on fire."

"They're going to be set off outside, not inside." Claire replied. "McGonagall put me in charge of the twins for those. She didn't seem to trust them with fire hazards."

"That's not too hard to believe," Hermione said. "Out of the three of you, you're the most mature. Though that's not saying much."

Claire chose to ignore Hermione's comment. "So, why'd you have to see Professor McGonagall, Harry?"

"She told me I have to dance in the opening ceremony at the Yule Ball." Harry said disheartenedly.

"Merlin, that's harsh." Claire replied.

"Yeah, that is, mate," Ron agreed. "I mean Claire and I only had to dance in front of our house. You'll have to dance in front of three whole schools. Not to mention in front of the teachers. You better hope you don't mess up."

"Gee, thanks, Ron." Harry said deadpanned.

"Ignore, him, Harry," Claire said sending a glare towards Ron. "You'll do fine if you just practice the movements McGonagall taught us. You can't be any worse than, Ron. I think he bruised my feet with the amount of times he stepped on them."

"You stepped on my feet too!" Ron said indignantly.

"Anyway," Claire replied ignoring Ron, "if you're concerned about the dance try asking someone to help you with it, Harry."

The rest of dinner passed quickly as they started talking about other things besides the upcoming event. However, Claire noticed that Hermione wasn't talking much the rest of dinner. When they retired to their respective dormitories later that evening, Claire decided to see what was bugging her.

"Are you alright, Hermione?" Claire asked her.

Hermione, who was sitting on her bed, looked up from her Ancient Runes book and said in a dishearten tone, "What? Oh, yes, of course."

Claire frowned at her best friend and sat next to her.

"Okay, 'Mione, what's really going on? You hardly said anything during dinner. And you and I both know you're usually the one talking or going off about something." Claire said.

Hermione sighed and closed her book. "Claire, can I ask you about something?"

Claire nodded. "Sure, what is it?"

"How do you feel about Ron?" Hermione asked.

"Where should I start? Ron has no filter whatsoever which can sometimes be a bad thing. Tonight at dinner would've been a prime example. Not to mention the numerous times he's gotten on my nerves." Claire paused for a moment, furrowing her eyebrows in confusion. "Wait, why are you asking me what I think about Ron?"

Hermione opened her mouth to say something, but then closed it and shook her head muttering, "Nevermind." Something clicked in Claire's head. She remembered the look Hermione had when Ron and her were dancing. It almost looked like she was...jealous? But that couldn't be right, could it?

"Oh my Merlin!" Claire said in disbelief. "You're kidding right? You can't be serious! Out of all the people at Hogwarts, Ron?"

Hermione blushed a crimson red. "Shh!"

"What are you shushing me for? It's not like he can hear us from up here!" Claire said.

"I know that but they can." Hermione said pointing to their roommates Evy and Charisse who had entered the room a few minutes ago.

"Don't mind us," Evy said as she put away her schoolbooks in her trunk.

"Yeah, your secret's safe with us, Hermione." Charisse agreed.

"See?" Claire said pointedly. "So, are you going to explain how you ended up fancying Ron?"

"To be honest, I never noticed I fancied him until today." Hermione replied. "I discovered it when I saw you two dancing. That was when I felt jealous of you're relationship with him."

"The only relationship I have with Ron is a brother-sister relationship. Trust me, I only see him as a brother," Claire said. "Is that why you were so quiet during dinner?"

Hermione nodded. "Though the Yule Ball has also been on my mind. I'm afraid of no one asking me."

"You're kidding right? Who wouldn't want to go with the 'Brightest Witch of our age'?" Claire said. "Also, it doesn't hurt that you have the looks."

Hermione scoffed. "Me? Looks? I hardly think my bushy hair is what you qualify as 'looks'."

"Don't be so quick to bring yourself down, 'Mione." Claire said. "All you need is to put some of that hair product stuff to make it smooth."

"'Hair product stuff?'" Hermione questioned. "You mean Sleekazy's Hair Potion?"

"You know more about that stuff then I do," Claire waved her hand dismissively.

Hermione rolled her eyes at Claire. "So, what about you?"

"What about me?" Claire asked.

"The Ball. Who do you want to go with?" Hermione asked.

Claire shrugged. "I don't know."

"What about Harry?" Hermione asked.

"What about him?" Claire said.

"Don't you want to go with him?" Hermione questioned.

"If he asked me then sure," Claire said.

Hermione smiled knowingly. "So, does that mean you like him?"

"This is the part where I say I'm going to bed." Claire said. "Night 'Mione."

As Claire slipped into her bed and shut her eyes, a thought crossed her mind. What if Harry asked her to the ball? She wasn't against the idea. It'd be better than going with a stranger. He was also nice and handsome. Wait a second, when did I start seeing him like that? Claire thought to herself. She shook the thought from her head as she drifted off into a deep sleep.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It had only been a week since the announcement of the Yule Ball and Claire was wishing the ball would come sooner than later; which was surprising considering she, at first, was wishing for the day to take it's merry time. But Claire could only handle so much more of all the girls stressing about every detail of the dance. Claire didn't see the need to obsess over the little things like hair, make-up, shoes, and dresses. To be perfectly honest, if she could she'd show up in a pair of jeans, t-shirt, and a pair of combat boots, but she was sure Professor McGonagall would be seriously displeased if she did that. Also, the fact that she was being followed around by a group of boys trying to ask her to dance (something she definitely hadn't expected) added to the fact she wished the whole event would be over and done. She'd been asked by seven people so far (all strangers to her) to the ball; all of whom she said no to (she wasn't going to go with someone she didn't know). At first, she ignored the boys, but after being followed into the lavatory it was sort of hard to pretend they weren't there. Claire resorted to staying in the library with Hermione to escape from them.

"How long are you planning on hiding in here?" Hermione asked as she sat down at the table Claire was seated at.

Claire had taken the liberty of stacking books in several stacks tall enough to cover her face.

"Until I have to meet up with the twins at ten in the common room to start planning for the Yule Ball," Claire said. "Do you have any idea how annoying it is to be followed around by a bunch of boys?"

"No, I don't to tell you the truth," Hermione replied. "But it can't be that bad."

Claire moved one of the stack of books so she could give Hermione a disbelief look. "Can't be that bad? Hermione, one of them tried to follow me into the girls' lavatory the other day! How is that not bad?"

"Look on the positive side, at least you have people interested in you," Hermione said.

Claire sighed exasperatedly before resting her elbows on the table. "I'd much rather if they'd leave me alone."

"So, you're saying if someone asked you right now you'd say no?" Hermione asked.

"If he tries to follow me into the loo, then yes I would say no." Claire replied. "I'm not going to say yes to someone who does that. Not to mention, the boys who've asked me so far have been complete strangers to me."

"What if you were asked by someone you knew?" Hermione questioned.

Claire shrugged. "I guess I'd say yes, but it also depends who asks."

"You're very picky, you know," Hermione said.

"I suppose I am," Claire admitted. "But I want to make sure I don't end up going with some psychopath."

"Well, I guess you have a right to be cautious of that. However, if I were you, I would be ecstatic just for someone to come up to me and ask me to the ball." Hermione said. "Even if I didn't know them."

Suddenly, Hermione heard someone clear their throat behind her. She turned around to see Viktor Krum.

"Uh—I vas vondering if I could speak vith you alone." Viktor asked.

"With me?" Hermione said in shock.

Viktor nodded. Hermione looked at Claire.

"Is that the time?" Claire said looking at her non-existent watch on her wrist. "I'd better get going if I'm going to meet up with Fred and George. I'll see you at lunch, Hermione."

"Wait, Claire!" Hermione said. "Don't forget we have to meet up with Ron and Harry before lunch at Hagrid's. He had the interview with Skeeter earlier."

Claire frowned. She hoped Hagrid wasn't manipulated by that horrible woman. "Ok, see you then. You two have fun."

Claire sent Hermione a wink and pulled her bag over her shoulder; leaving her friend alone with the Bulgarian Seeker. On her way back to the common room, she heard her name being called. She hoped it wasn't one of boys who had been following her earlier.

"Claire!" Claire turned to see Jeremy.

"Oh, hey, Jeremy!" Claire smiled at him. "I was beginning to think you were one of those boys following me around."

"I take it you've been asked to the ball, then?" Jeremy said.

"More like seven." Claire replied.

"So, you've must've said yes to one of them." Jeremy said.

Claire shook her head. "No."

"Really?" Jeremy said surprised.

"Yeah, they were all complete strangers. I don't feel comfortable going to the ball with someone I don't know." Claire explained. "And the fact they followed me into the lavatory put a damper on things."

Claire nodded. She then remembered about the twins. "Listen, Jeremy, I'd really like to talk, but I have to somewhere to be."

"Wait, Claire, I have something to ask you?" Jeremy began.

"What is it?" Claire questioned.

"Would you like to go to the Yule Ball with me? I promise not to follow you into the loo." Jeremy said.

Claire thought for a moment. Jeremy wasn't a stranger and she knew he wouldn't try to follow her into the girls' loo. Claire smiled at him. "Sure, Jeremy. That'd be fantastic."

Jeremy smiled back at her. "Great. So, I guess I'll see you later."

"Yeah, bye."

Claire continued heading to the common room actually feeling a bit excited about the Yule Ball.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"How many boxes of fireworks should we order?" George asked.

"To know that, shouldn't we know how many people plan on paying for their messages to be written in the sky?" Claire questioned.

"Good point," Fred said. "We should start on order forms for those and have them read by tomorrow. That way we'll have plenty of time to spread the word."

"We could post them up in all the common rooms and on the bulletin board outside the Great Hall." Claire suggested.

"Perfect! Now about the snow, remember how I made the comment about how we should try to make our business stand out? Well, I've been thinking, what if we charmed the snow to change colors?" George suggested.

"That's not a bad idea," Fred said. "We could probably charm the snow's colors to sink up with the music that's playing."

"Yeah, but how are we suppose to make that happen? And is it possible we can figure it out before the dance?" Claire questioned.

"Anything's possible if you've got nerve!" Fred said.

"Well, let's use this nerve to try to figure it out, then." Claire said.

"First, we'll need something that plays music." George stated.

"I have my record player in my room. I can go get it." Claire replied.

"Great. That means all we need is a place to practice the incantation for snow and test out how to make the color change." Fred said.

Claire knew the perfect place: The Room of Requirement.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Claire, Fred, and George were in the Room of Requirement. The room looked like a replica of the Great Hall. They knew that having the room look like this would help them make sure they didn't create a blizzard in the real one. Claire set up her record player on one of the tables and placed her bag next to it.

"Alright, let it snow!" Claire exclaimed.

Claire, Fred, and George raised their wands and shouted, "Frigidus Nives!"

A cold wind emitted from their wands knocking them onto their backs. Snow began falling at a fast speed. It was already up to their hips and it was rising.

"Intermitto!"

The snow stopped falling and Fred waved his wand and shouted, "Clarius!" making the snow disappear.

"I think only one of us should try the spell." George said.

"You think?" Claire said sarcastically.

"I'll do it." Fred said. He raised his wand towards the ceiling and said in a calm voice, "Frigidus Nives!"

This time the snow fell lightly from the ceiling.

"So, now what?" Claire questioned.

"Start the music and we'll start trying to change the snow's color." Fred said.

Claire turned on the music player and the three of them began attempting to change the snow's colors. An hour had passed and they had yet to find a spell to work on the snow. They decided to take a break.

"Hmm, I was sure one of those spells would've worked." Fred muttered, shaking off the snow from his head.

"We need to start thinking outside the box. Maybe a spell can't change the color. What if there's a potion or something?" George said.

Claire then had an idea; her Sonic Screwdriver. It had enabled her record player to work at Hogwarts despite the fact muggle technology couldn't work at the school. Also, it had defeated the Weeping Angels in first year and the crazed Snaragluffs in Herbology. Maybe it'd be able to solve their color-changing snow dilemma. Claire went over to her bag and pulled the Sonic Screwdriver out.

"What are you doing?" Fred questioned. He then caught sight of the Sonic Screwdriver. "And what's that?"

"This, my ginger-haired friend, is a Sonic Screwdriver." Claire replied. "And if my theory is correct, it may solve our problem."

"What does it do?" George asked.

"All sorts of things. Unlocks doors, stops crazed plants, allowed my record player to work at Hogwarts, and a whole bunch of other complicated things I don't feel like explaining at the moment." Claire replied.

"Well, let's see if it works." Fred said. He seemed skeptically about it.

Claire began tinkering with the Sonic Screwdriver, not really sure what she was doing, but followed the feeling in her gut. She raised the Sonic Screwdriver towards the ceiling and pressed the button. A buzzing sound could be heard for a second before it was silent once again. For a moment, it looked as though it had no effect on the falling snow. Then orange snow began falling. It changed to various shades of red, yellow, green, purple, blue, and pink as it slowly fell to the ground.

"It worked?" Fred said in disbelief.

"'Course it did," Claire replied. "Can't believe you doubted me."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The moment Claire entered the common room, Hermione had appeared and pulled her by the arm upstairs to their dorm.

"Hermione, be careful, I have a fragile object in my hands!" Claire said, as she tried to keep the record player from falling from her hands. "What's got you so happy? Did you finally convince the house-elves to fight for their rights?"

"No, but something almost as good as that happened." Hermione said, still bursting with excitement. "Viktor Krum asked me to the Yule Ball!"

"That's fantastic, Hermione!" Claire replied, happy for her friend. "But, wait, I thought you liked Ron not Krum."

"I do it's just, well, I didn't think Ron would ask me. I don't want to wait around for him to ask and end up going by myself." Hermione said. "And Krum isn't all that bad. Before he asked me to the Yule Ball, he told me the reason he came to the library was to see me. Isn't that sweet?"

"Yeah, but a bit creepy at the same time," Claire replied.

"I just can't believe he chose me of all the girls he could've asked," Hermione said.

"Well believe it, Hermione." Claire replied. "I told you you had nothing to worry about."

Claire set the record player on her night table.

"Has anyone fulfilled your requirements as a date yet?" Hermione asked.

"Actually, yes," Claire replied. "I'm going with Jeremy."

"He seems like a nice person." Hermione said. "And he's not a stranger like the other boys who've asked you."

"Yep." Claire nodded.

"So, how'd it go with the twins?" Hermione asked.

Claire told her about their success in making the snow change colors. Hermione was impressed by this. Suddenly, their door opened revealing Ginny who was acting very similar to how Hermione was before she told Claire she had a date to the Yule Ball.

"You'll never believe who asked me to the Yule Ball." Ginny said breathlessly.

"Who asked you?" Claire asked.

"It was Neville." Ginny said.

"Really? That's great!" Hermione said.

"Have you two already found dates?" Ginny asked.

Hermione told her who her date was. Ginny was shocked the Viktor Krum had asked her out.

"Ron is going to be jealous! You're going with his man-crush." Ginny said.

Hermione blushed and Ginny looked at her curiously. Hermione was avoiding eye contact with Ginny and Claire realized that Hermione hadn't told Ginny about her feelings for Ron.

"Hermione, do you want me to tell her?" Claire asked.

"Tell me what?" Ginny furrowed her eyebrows looking back and forth between the two of them.

Hermione nodded and Claire turned to Ginny.

"Hermione fancies Ron." Claire said.

Ginny turned to Hermione for validation. Hermione nodded confirming it was true. Ginny was silent for a moment.

"You're not upset are you? I know it's your brother, but—" Hermione was cut off by Ginny.

"I don't care about that. I'm just thinking why you'd fancy him. Really, why do you fancy him? Actually, don't answer that. I'd rather not know." Ginny said. "Now, what about you, Claire?"

"I'm going with Jeremy." Claire said.

"Oh, that's good," Ginny said with false happiness.

Claire furrowed her eyebrows. "You don't sound like it."

"Well, I assumed you'd end up going with Harry." Ginny said simply.

"Why?" Claire asked.

"Obviously because you two have feelings for each other." Ginny said.

Claire rolled her eyes. "No we don't."

"Are you sure about that?" Ginny raised her eyebrows.

"Of course." Claire said ignoring the voice in the back of her head calling her a liar. "Anyway, I think it's almost lunch time. Hermione and I are suppose to meet Harry and Ron at Hagrid's before lunch. C'mon, let's go!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Claire and Hermione were on their way to Hagrid's when they spotted Harry and Ron.

"Why do they have to move in packs?" Claire heard Harry ask Ron.

Claire noticed he was glancing at a group of girls up ahead who were crowded in a circle laughing. Claire felt a weird feeling in the pit of her stomach, but brushed the feeling away.

"How're you supposed to get one on their own to ask them?" Harry asked Ron.

"Lasso one?" Ron suggested.

"We're not cattle, Ronald," Hermione said, startling the two boys.

"Where've you two been?" Ron questioned.

"Up in our dorm," Claire said. "By the way, here's a suggestion about the girls, don't keep staring at them from a distance. It's creepy and they'll think you're stalking them. And do not, under any circumstances, follow them into the loo."

Ron and Harry gave her a weird look.

"What'd we do that for?" Ron questioned.

"I don't know, ask some of your fellow male gender." Claire said.

The boys then continued their conversation before they were interrupted.

Ron asked Harry, "So, got any idea who you're going to ask?"

Harry glanced at Claire, but didn't answer. Claire failed to see this as she was wandering who he was thinking of asking. The same strange sensation in the pit of her stomach began again.

"No idea." Harry finally said. "We should get to Hagrid's."

The four friends headed to Hagrid's hut. They knocked on his door and their friend welcomed them into his home. He had made tea and his rock cakes. Hagrid began telling them about his interview with Rita Skeeter.

"She didn' seem very int'rested in magical creatures, ter tell yeh the truth," Hagrid said as he poured them each a cup of tea. "She jus' wanted me ter talk about you two, Harry, Claire. I told her how Harry and I'd been friends since I went ter fetch him from the Dursleys. I told her about first meetin' yeh, Claire. 'Never had to tell either of them off in four years?' she said. 'Never played you up in lessons, have they?' I told her no, an' she didn' seem happy at all. Yeh'd think she wanted me to say yeh both were horrible."

"'Course she did," Harry said. "She can't keep writing about what a tragic little hero I am, it'll get boring."

"She wants a new angle, Hagrid," Claire said wisely.

"Yeah," Ron agreed. "You were supposed to say Harry and Claire are mad delinquents!"

"But they're not!" Hagrid said, looking genuinely shocked.

"She should've interview Snape," Harry said grimly. "He'd give her the goods on me any day. And I don't doubt for a second he'd do the same to Claire. 'Potter and Smith have been crossing lines ever since they first arrived at this school...'"

"Said that, did he?" Hagrid said, while Ron, Claire, and Hermione laughed. "Well, yeh both might've bent a few rules, Harry, bu' yeh're both all righ' really, aren' you?"

Claire and Harry grinned at their friend.

"Cheers, Hagrid," Harry said, grinning.

"You coming to this ball thing on Christmas Day, Hagrid?" Ron said.

"Though' I might look in on it, yeah," Hagrid said gruffly. "Should be a good do, I reckon. You'll be openin' the dancin', won' yeh, Harry? Who're you takin'?"

"No one, yet," Harry said, discretely glancing at Claire, feeling himself go red. Hagrid didn't pursue the subject.

"Well, I reckon, yeh four should head back. Lunch is about ter start." Hagrid escorted them out.

They waved goodbye to Hagrid and set off back to the castle. Once they were settled in the Great Hall, Dumbledore stood up in front of the podium. The hall was silent.

"I have a few important announcements before you begin eating." Dumbledore began. "I'd like to announce that the band the Weird Sisters will be performing at the Yule Ball."

Claire almost fell out of her seat in shock. One of her favorite bands was going to be at Hogwarts! The hall was buzzing with chatter. Dumbledore waited for the talking to dissipate before continuing.

"The Weird Sisters have decided to hold a singing contest. This contest will be for aspiring musicians to enter. You must sing an original song at the audition and if chosen you will get to perform with the Weird Sisters at the Yule Ball. Auditions will be held in the Charms' classroom a week before the Yule Ball." Dumbledore said. "I encourage all students to participate if they see fit. Now, tuck in!"

Professor Dumbledore then sat down and the hall commenced to chatter.

"Can you believe it?" Claire said in shock. "The Weird Sisters are coming here to Hogwarts! I'll be in the same room as them! I'll be breathing the same air as them! This is a dream come true!"

Ron stared at her as though she were crazy. "I think you like that band a bit too much."

Claire glared at him. "I think you breathe a little too much."

Ron continued to stare at her in disbelief and then turned to Hermione and Harry. "Bloody hell, was I that crazy when Krum came?"

"Yes," Harry and Hermione said in unison.

When lunch ended they walked back to their common room. Hermione had gone up to her dorm to finish homework and Ron had gone up to get his Wizards' Chess in his dorm. Claire and Harry were sitting on the couch waiting for Ron to come down with the game.

"So—er—Claire, have you been asked to the ball, yet?" Harry asked.

"Actually, I have," Claire replied.

"Oh," Harry said in disappointment. "Er—who are you going with?"

"Jeremy." Claire said, noticing a frown appearing on Harry's face. "What about you? I mean, I know I overheard Ron and you talking about asking someone, but you haven't found a date yet?"

"Yeah, I haven't found a date yet." Harry said. "The person I wanted to ask is already going with someone else."

"I'm sorry, Harry," Claire said.

"It's fine," Harry replied with a small smile. "I'm going to see what's taking Ron so long."

Harry disappeared leaving Claire alone. What just happened? She thought to herself. Why did he sound depressed when I told him I already had a date? Why did he frown? Unless he was going to ask me? Claire didn't have much time to dwell on it as Ron and Harry came back downstairs.

"I found the game. Winner plays loser." Ron said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was soon the week before the Yule Ball and the excitement of the students seemed to escalated. There were rumors that Dumbledore had bought eight hundred barrels of mulled mead from Madam Romerta; Claire didn't believe this for a second. The students' attention span in the classrooms seemed to falter as the days to the Yule Ball decreased. Some of the teachers, like Professor Flitwick, gave up trying to teach them when their minds were clearly elsewhere; he allowed them to play games in his lesson on Wednesday. Claire's father had brought in a muggle television and muggle movies depicting the muggle version of a witch (The Witches, Hocus Pocus, and The Witches of Eastwick) for the class to watch. The students who had never seen these objects before, like Ron, were shocked by them. Of course, Hermione asked the Doctor how he was able to make the muggle devices function at Hogwarts since it was clearly stated in Hogwarts, A History that muggle technology couldn't work at Hogwarts. The Doctor simply replied, "Sonic Screwdriver." Other teachers were not so generous of allowing students to do anything but learn. In Claire's Transfiguration class, Professor McGonagall had the entire class working until the bell and it was the same for Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Moody was also keeping the students busy until the last second of class. Snape, of course, would no sooner let them play games in class than dye his hair pink. Staring nastily around at them all, he informed them that he would be testing them on poison antidotes during the last lesson of the term.

"Evil, he is," Ron said bitterly that night in the Gryffindor common room. "Springing a test on us on the last day. Ruining the last bit of term with a whole load of studying."

"Mmm...you're not exactly straining yourself, though, are you?" Hermione said, looking at him over the top of her Potions notes. Ron was busy building a card castle out of his Exploding Snap pack— a much more interesting pastime than with Muggle cards, because of the chance that the whole thing would blow up at any second.

"It's Christmas, Hermione," Harry said lazily; he was rereading Flying with the Cannons for the tenth time in an armchair near the fire.

Claire could sense Hermione was going to go off on him to and whispered to Harry, "Now you've done it."

Hermione looked severely over at him too. "I'd have thought you'd be doing something constructive, Harry, even if you don't want to learn your antidotes!"

"Like what?" Harry said as he watched Joey Jenkins of the Cannons belt a Bludger toward a Ballycastle Bats Chaser.

"That egg!" Hermione hissed.

"Hermione does have a point, Harry." Claire said. "Just think of how much time it took us to prepare you for the first task."

"Come on, Claire, Hermione, I've got till February the twenty-fourth," Harry said.

"It could take us longer than it did to prepare for the first task!" Hermione said. "You're going to look a real idiot if everyone else knows what the next task is and you don't!"

"Leave him alone, Hermione, Claire, he's earned a bit of a break," Ron said, and he placed the last two cards on top of the castle and the whole lot blew up, singeing his eyebrows.

Claire laughed at him while he glared at her.

"Nice look, Ron...go well with you dress robes, that will."

It was Fred and George. They sat down at the table with the four friends while Ron felt how much damage had been done.

"Ron, can we borrow Pigwidgeon?" George asked.

Claire looked at the twins suspiciously, but then remembered how they had been trying to get their money from Bagman from the World Cup. Bagman had yet to give them their share of money from winning the bet.

"No, he's off delivering a letter," Ron said. "Why?"

"Because George wants to invite him to the ball," Fred said sarcastically.

"Who d'you two keep writing to, eh?" Ron said.

"Nose out of their business, Ron, or they'll burn that for you too," Claire threatened.

"Wait, you know who they're writing to, don't you?" Ron said.

"So..." Fred interrupted. "You lot got dates for the ball yet?"

"Nope," Ron said.

Claire decided not to say she had a date for the ball because she knew they'd overreact.

"Well, you'd better hurry up, mate, or all the good ones will be gone," Fred said.

"Who're you going with, then?" Ron said.

"Angelina," Fred said promptly, without a trace of embarrassment.

"What?" Ron said taken aback. "You've already asked her?"

"Good point," Fred said. He turned his head and called across the common room, "Oi! Angelina!"

Angelina, who had been chatting with Alicia Spinnet near the fire, looked over at him.

"What?" she called back.

"Want to come to the ball with me?"

Angelina gave Fred an appraising sort of look.

"All right, then," she said, and she turned back to Alicia and carried on chatting with a bit of a grin on her face.

"Real smooth," Claire said sarcastically.

"There you go," Fred said to Harry and Ron, ignoring Claire's comment, "piece of cake."

He got to his feet, yawning, and said, "We'd better use a school owl then, George, come on..."

They left. Ron stopped feeling his eyebrows and looked across the smoldering wreck of his card castle at Harry.

"We should get a move on, you know...ask someone. He's right. We don't want to end up with a pair of trolls."

Claire and Hermione let out a sputter of indignation. "A pair of what?"

"Well—you know," Ron said, shrugging. "I'd rather go alone than with—Eloise Midgen, say."

"Her acne's loads better lately—and she's really nice!" Hermione said.

"Her nose is off-center," Ron said.

Claire stared in disbelief at him. "So basically, you're going to go with the best-looking girl who'll have you, even if she acts like Skeeter?"

"Er—yeah, that sounds about right," Ron said, Harry nodding in agreement.

Claire was shocked and angry that Harry was actually agreeing with Ron.

Hermione glared at both at them. "I'm going to bed." She snapped, and she swept off toward the girls' staircase without another word.

"What's the matter with her?" Ron asked Claire and Harry.

"You're both complete idiots," Claire rolled her eyes and went upstairs to check on her friend.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last day of term soon passed quickly. Claire felt pretty confident after Snape's Antitode Potion test. She remembered to put in the key ingredient—a bezoar. However, just because it was the last day of term that didn't mean they had no homework over the break. Hermione had decided to get an early start on the homework and Claire, who had nothing else to do, decided to go with Hermione to the library. So, the two of them headed to the library. On their way there, they spotted Ginny.

"Claire!" Ginny said. "Aren't you going to audition for the Weird Sister's contest? The auditions are today in Flitwick's classroom in ten minutes."

Claire had completely forgotten about it. "What? It must've slipped my mind. I was too shocked by the fact they were coming to the Yule Ball. Hermione, do you mind if—"

"Go on, it's fine. Good luck, Claire." Hermione said, continuing towards the library.

Then Claire realized something. "I don't have anything prepared Ginny. I don't even have an instrument. Maybe I shouldn't do it."

"No, you're definitely doing it. I think you might actually win." Ginny said. "Don't you write songs?"

"Well, I mean, I have but that doesn't change the fact that I don't have an instrument to play." Claire replied.

"Wait a second, there's a girl in my dorm who has a guitar. Let's go see if she'll let you borrow it." Ginny said, pulling Claire by the wrist to the Gryffindor Tower.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ginny's roommate allowed Claire to borrow her guitar for the audition. After Claire got the guitar, Ginny said she had something to do, but to tell her the news. Claire headed to Professor Filtwick's classroom. The line had forty people standing outside the door; a lot less then she expected. There were people from all four houses with their instruments tuning them and warming up their voices. Claire was last in line and she could feel her nerves getting the better of her. She knew what song she was going to do, but she was afraid of messing up. Claire began tuning the guitar while waiting for her turn; which looked like it was going to be a while. She went over the lyrics and notes in her head as she silently played the chords. Two hours had passed and Claire was the last one auditioning. The door opened to the classroom and Claire walked in hoping she wouldn't mess up.

The audition soon ended and Claire was in shock. She had won the contest. She out of forty people won. She tried to find her friends, but didn't see them at dinner. Claire decided to check the common room. As she entered the common room, she spotted Ginny and Hermione. She was going to tell them the good news until she saw Ron and Harry laughing.

"Why weren't you all at dinner?" Claire asked.

"Because—oh shut up laughing, you two—because they've both just been turned down by girls they asked to the ball!" Ginny said.

That seemed to shut Harry and Ron up.

"Thanks a bunch, Ginny," Ron said sourly.

"All the good-looking ones taken, Ron?" Hermione said loftily. "Eloise Midgen starting to look quite pretty now, is she? Well, I'm sure you'll find someone somewhere who'll have you."

But Ron was staring at Hermione as though suddenly seeing her in a whole new light. He then looked at Claire the same way before looking back at Hermione.

"Hermione, Claire, you both are girls..."

"Oh well spotted," Hermione said acidly.

"Yeah, Ron, good detective skills. Muggle Sherlock Holmes, you are," Claire said sarcastically.

"Well—you both can come with one of us!" Ron said.

"No, we can't," Hermione snapped.

"Oh come on," he said impatiently, "we need partners, we're going to look really stupid if we haven't got any, everyone else has..."

"I can't come with you," Hermione said, now blushing, "because I'm already going with someone."

"No you're not!" Ron said. "You just said that to get rid of Neville!"

"First of all, Neville never asked me," Hermione said, her eyes flashed dangerously. "And just because it's taken you three years to notice, Ron, doesn't mean no one else has spotted I'm a girl!"

Ron stared at her. Then he grinned again.

"Okay, okay, we know you're a girl," he said. "That do? Will you come now?"

"I've already told you!" Hermione said very angrily. "I'm going with someone else!"

And she stormed off toward the girls' dormitories again.

"She's lying," Ron said flatly, watching her go.

"No, she's not," Claire said.

"Who is it then?" Ron said sharply.

"It's her business, I'm not telling you," Claire said.

"Right," Ron said, who looked extremely put out, "this is getting stupid. Claire you can—"

"No, I can't actually." Claire interrupted. "I'm already going with Jeremy."

"What?" Ron said in shock. "You can't go with him!"

"You don't have the right to tell me who I can and can't go with." Claire snapped.

Ron turned to Ginny. "Fine, then Ginny you can go with Harry—"

"I'm already going with Neville." Ginny said.

"You're really going to make Harry and I go by ourselves?" Ron asked.

"Serves you right," Claire said.

With that, Claire and Ginny went upstairs to talk to Hermione.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, Claire's going with Jeremy. I already know they'll be a lot of debate about this. A lot of the reviews I've read have either been Clason or Carry. I have my reasoning for why Claire's going with Jeremy. Do you think Jeremy is as trustworthy as he seems? What was your favorite part of the chapter? Personally, I liked writing the dance lesson and color-changing snow scene. Anyway, the next chapter will take a little longer to write because they'll be several changes and events that happen. Yule Ball is the next chapter! I'm soooo excited for it! What do you think will happen? What surprises are in store?

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR VOTES, COMMENTS, AND VIEWS OF THIS STORY! YOU'RE ALL AWESOME!!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.5K 1.1K 32
Its Worthless's fourth year at Hogwarts and this year there will be new challenges to face as the Tri Wizard Tournament comes to Hogwarts? But will W...
2.3K 37 12
Eternal Glory awaits welcome to the fourth chapter of rerun of the Harry Potter franchise in the Harry and Hermione version of The Goblet Of Fire as...
45.4K 1.9K 30
When things go very wrong before his fifth year, Harry Potter tries to pretend everything is normal... while also taking care of his human body so th...
12.7K 280 24
๐ˆ ๐ฐ๐š๐ฌ ๐ฆ๐š๐๐ž ๐Ÿ๐จ๐ซ ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฏ๐ข๐ง' ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ, ๐›๐š๐›๐ฒ ๐˜๐จ๐ฎ ๐ฐ๐ž๐ซ๐ž ๐ฆ๐š๐๐ž ๐Ÿ๐จ๐ซ ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฏ๐ข๐ง' ๐ฆ๐ž ๐€๐ง๐ ๐ˆ ๐œ๐š๐ง'๐ญ ๐ ๐ž๐ญ ๐ž๐ง๐จ๐ฎ๐ ๐ก ๐จ๐Ÿ...