Surviving Cancer

By darlingberational

Macin Cole was diagnosed with leukemia when she was eight years old. After fighting a three year long battle... More

Tuesday, August 29
Tuesday, September 4
Wednesday, September 6
Wednesday, September 13
Thursday, September 14
Wednesday, September 20
Friday, September 22
Saturday, September 23
Monday, September 25
Tuesday, September 26
Tuesday, September 26 Cont'd
Tuesday, September 26 Cont'd & Wednesday, September 27
Friday, September 29
Tuesday, October 3
Tuesday, October 3 Cont'd
Wednesday, October 4
Friday, October 6
Friday, October 6 Cont'd
Saturday, October 7
Saturday, October 7 Cont'd
Monday, October 9
Monday, October 9 Cont'd
Monday, October 9 Cont'd & Wednesday, October 11
Saturday, October 14
Saturday, October 14 & Tuesday, October 17
Wednesday, October 18
Wednesday, October 18 & Thursday, October 19
Thursday, October 19 Cont'd
Thursday, October 19 Cont'd & Friday, October 20
Friday, October 20 Cont'd
Wednesday, October 25
Wednesday, October 25 Cont'd & Thursday, October 26
Thursday, October 26 Cont'd
Friday, October 27
Saturday, October 28
Not an Update but Still Worth Reading
Saturday, October 28 Cont'd
Monday, October 30
Tuesday, October 31
Friday, November 3
Friday, November 3 Cont'd
Sunday, November 5
Monday, November 6
Monday, November 6 Cont'd
Tuesday, November 7
Tuesday, November 7 Cont'd
Tuesday, November 7 Cont'd & Wednesday, November 8
Monday, November 13
Thursday, November 16
Thursday, November 16 Cont'd
Friday, November 17
Friday, November 17 Cont'd
Monday, November 20
Tuesday, November 21
Tuesday, November 21 Cont'd
Wednesday, November 22
Thursday, November 23 & Friday, November 24
Friday, November 24 Cont'd
Sunday, November 26
Monday, November 27
Wednesday, November 29
Tuesday, December 5
Thursday, December 7
Saturday, December 9 and Monday, December 11
Monday, December 11 Cont'd
Wednesday, December 13
Tuesday, December 19
Wednesday, December 20
Thursday, December 21 & Saturday, December 23
Sunday, December 24
Friday, December 29
Sunday, December 31
Thursday, January 4
Thursday, January 4 & Monday, January 8
Thursday, January 11 & Saturday, January 13
Saturday, January 13 Cont'd & Sunday, January 14
Monday, January 15
Wednesday, January 17 & Thursday, January 18
Thursday, January 18 Cont'd
Friday, January 19
Friday, January 19 Cont'd
Monday, January 22 (Finale)
Author's Note (Sequel)
Surprise!

Saturday, September 9

29.4K 579 50
By darlingberational

MACI POV
"Hey Levi." I said as I poked my head in his door.

He mumbled something as he wiggled his way into a white v-neck shirt. His jeans were still unbuttoned exposing a pair of green boxers.

"Jackie invited me to the mall." I continued just as his head finally popped through the neck hole.

"I'll go with you." He stated, finally getting to buttoning his jeans and grabbing a belt from off his floor.

"It's okay, you don't have to." I stepped into his room, taking a seat in his computer chair. I kicked off the base, sending myself spinning in circles.

He disappeared into his closet, grunting and groaning as he tripped over things. He was a typical guy when it came to his room. It was in a constant state of mess. He emerged a few minutes later, a pair of shoes in hand.

"Macin." I rolled my eyes when my back was facing him, "I'll go with you."

I sighed, "Okay let me text Jackie."

I knew there was no point in fighting, he always got me to cave. I whipped my phone out of my pocket, bringing myself to an abrupt halt. I hit the send button and set it down on the desk beside me, waiting. My phone buzzed a moment later, the text saying that it was fine if Levi came with us. I had a feeling Jackie wouldn't protest his company considering she couldn't help herself from drooling when he was around.

"When are we going then?" Levi asked, as he jammed his phone and wallet into their respective pockets.

"Whenever you're ready." I said, grabbing my phone and heading downstairs. I turned the corner into the kitchen, seeing my dad. "Hey daddy."

I wrapped my arms around his neck as he sat in a stool at the counter, a newspaper in hand. He had been working a ton ever since we moved so the only time Levi and I got to see him was when he got in from work during the week, which lately had been late, or on the weekends. I understood why his absence happened but I missed the days when we lived in Florida and dad would take a day off and we'd all to go the beach. He got home at the same time everyday, he wasn't as tired or stressed, and he was always up for some sort of outing. Now we were lucky if he had enough energy to go out for dinner. Though I suppose that happens when you're the head of a major corporation.

"Hey baby." He set the newspaper down, placing his hand on my arms as I continued to hug him. "Are you going out?"

I nodded my head, finally releasing him. "Levi and I are going to the mall with my friend from school."

"Good." He smiled, the skin in the corners of his eyes wrinkled.

I glanced up the staircase as Levi came thundering down. He gave my dad a quick hug, before heading into the cupboards for some food. He emerged a moment later with a muffin hanging partially out of his mouth and two breakfast bars. I watched as my dad chuckled softly at Levi, and Levi gave him the 'what'd I do' look accompanied with a shrug.

"Ready sis?" Levi said between mouthfuls.

I nodded my head, hugging my dad once more before grabbing my purse and slipping a pair of gray converses on.

"Levi." My dad said right as we were about to shut the door behind us. "Don't forget to let your sister breathe."

Levi mumbled something under his breath, trying to usher me out the door quicker. I smiled as my dad gave me a wink right before Levi slammed the door to the house. I hopped in the car that Levi and I shared, though I hardly ever drove. In Florida we had an Audi A4 convertible, but once dad found out we were moving to Michigan, he traded it in. Now we had a Subaru Forester. I pulled my seat belt across my chest buckling it as Levi pulled out of the driveway.

"I let you breathe, don't I?" Levi asked, never taking his eyes from the road.

"Of course you do Levi" I said letting out a short laugh.

"Are you sure?" He glanced over as I nodded, "I don't mean to be overbearing but I just, well, ya know, with everything, I don't want anything to happen."

It was just like Levi to say everything but what he wanted. He only did it when he was really uncomfortable talking about the topic at hand. My cancer being the most frequent. I don't even think he's said the words Maci and cancer in the same sentence yet and it's been eight years.

I placed my hand on his arm as he drove, "I know Levi and I don't mind."

He instantly smiled, his posture straightening with confidence. I flipped open my phone as it buzzed in my pocket, pressing it to my ear.

"Hey are you guys here yet?" Her voice came through loud and crisp.

"Yeah we're pulling in now. Can we meet at the food court?" Levi and I had only been to the mall a handful of times since we moved here, the food court was the one place we could always count on finding so we made it a habit of using it as our entrance and exit.

"Yeah, I'll meet you there." I said bye just as Levi turned the car off.

I shoved the door shut, swinging my purse up onto my shoulder and making my way to the other side of the car. I grabbed Levi's hand, eagerly pulling him towards the mall.

"Excited?" Levi chuckled as he picked up his pace so I was no longer dragging him behind me.

"Well excuse me if I haven't gone shopping with a friend since Florida." I said playfully.

Levi held the door to the food court open, the air conditioning rushing out into the warm Michigan day. I slipped in through the door, dodging a group of kids exiting before quickly glancing around.

"There she is." Levi said pointing over my shoulder to a quickly approaching Jackie.

Before I knew it Jackie had collided with me, almost knocking me off balance. Luckily Levi was there, as always, keeping us both upright. We parted a moment later, Jackie grabbing my hand in excitement as we made our way deeper into the mall.

"Oh my god, we have to go to Godiva first. I go every time I come here, it's a staple." Her hazel eyes lit up at the mention of chocolate.

I nodded in agreement, grabbing a hold of Levi's hand so he wouldn't get lost in the crowd as Jackie weaved her way in and out.

A few hours later, Jackie and I made our way out of a store called Love Culture. We didn't have any in Florida, but apparently they were popping up everywhere in Michigan. I didn't buy anything however Jackie had gone crazy, I swear she almost bought the whole store. Levi had wandered off, leaving Jackie and I to shop on our own for a while.

"Hey is it okay if we go in here?" I asked pointing at a music store. "I need to grab some new strings for my guitar."

"I didn't know you played guitar." Jackie said as she followed me in.

I nodded my head, entering the store and immediately ducking to the left, a habit I developed for no apparent reason. I made my way to the wall with the guitar strings on it, grabbing the correct pack, and headed to the cash register. I dropped the strings on the counter, snagging 3 picks for $1 from a bin. You could never have to many picks.

"Is that it?" The cashier mumbled as he turned around. "Oh hey!"

I glanced up, a smile instantly coming to my face as Skylar stood before me. "Hi."

"What are you doing here?" He asked.

I looked down at the strings and three picks lying on the counter. "Hopefully buying some strings."

Skylar sucked in air as he nodded his head, "Yeah I guess that would make sense. You play?"

I nodded my head, glancing over my shoulder for Jackie. She gave me a quick wink, before exiting out of the store and into the hallway.

"You?" I asked, watching him ring up my things.

"Yeah actually, I'm in a band." He threw the strings and picks into a small bag along with the receipt. "I've got a show next Friday, do you want to come?" I reached for my bag but he held it just out of my reach on the other side of the counter. "Will you come?"

"Come where?" Levi's voice shot from behind me.

Skylar dropped the bag on the counter, his face going instantly serious. "I didn't know you had a boyfriend."

I rolled my eyes, "This is Levi." I said placing my hand on his shoulder. "My brother."

"Come on Macin." Levi said, putting his arm around my shoulder and nudging me towards the door.

Levi at his finest. He liked to 'pre approve' the boys I hung out with. I glanced over my shoulder, sending Skylar an apologetic look. I'd apologize on Monday, but first I was going to have to take care of my overprotective brother. Levi finally let go of me once we were a few stores down, Jackie at our heels.

"Is everything alright?" She asked, trying to keep up as we slipped between people.

"Yeah." I muttered, before mouthing 'I'll tell you later'. "Levi you can slow down now, we're far enough away."

He slowed his pace but never said anything. In Florida it hadn't bothered me, because most of the guys I hung out with were both our friends, and the few that asked me out I was either not interested, or we had both decided soon after we were better off as friends. In Michigan however, it was a whole different ball game. Eventually Levi was going to have to let me make some of my own decisions. I wasn't that fragile little girl anymore lying on her death bed. I was cancer free and feeling better then ever. Ready to live, and make up for the several years I spent in fear. Up until now I had been living for the five year mark, and I was pass it, more then willing to move on.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 113 20
Elmer x reader! Sixteen years old and battling Leukemia, Katie Alexis Danvers is a live wire with a healthy spirit, even though she doesn't always lo...
45.7K 1.1K 28
Violet, a 15 year old girl who just started her Freshman Year of high school, has been diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer. She has 3 years to live. W...
Abigail By Sammie

Teen Fiction

24.5K 727 26
Abigail Walker. What's so special about her, you ask? Abigail has a deadly disease - Acute Myeloid Leukemia. A disease that, with t...
1.1K 39 14
Mackenzie is a thirteen year old cancer patient. She lives in London, and her whole life has been spent in a hospital bed. She's always dreamed of ex...