The Alpha Instinct

Von TeaNHeartache

Grace has spent the past two years locked up and held prisoner by Kellan and his rogues. Now that she is fin... Mehr

Preface: Stench of Betrayal
Chapter One: Hunting Season
Chapter Two: A Touch of Silver
Chapter Three: Runaway Alpha
Chapter Four: Whose The Alpha?
Chapter Five: What a Big Mouth You Have
Chapter Six: Uncontrollable Urges
Chapter Seven: Panic Attack
Chapter Eight: Hostile Takeover
Chapter Nine: Kill The Messenger
Chapter Ten: History Lessons
Chapter Eleven: Spirit of Vengeance
Chapter Twelve: What Sharp Teeth You Have
Chapter Thirteen: Eye of The Storm
Intermission: Back Story & Author Notes
Bonus Chapter: Be Still My Rabbit Heart
Chapter Fourteen: One Way to Greet an Old Friend
Chapter Fifteen: Irreconcilable Differences
Bonus Chapter: Let Me Be Your Shield
Chapter Sixteen: Hanging by a Thread
Chapter Seventeen: Terrors in The Night
Chapter Eighteen: My Anchor, My Anger
Chapter Nineteen: It's a Family Affair
Chapter Twenty: A Council of Alphas
Bonus Chapter: The Banished Prince
Chapter Twenty-One: Behind Enemy Lines
Chapter Twenty-Two: Forget-Me-Not
Chapter Twenty-Three: Alpha of The Mountain
Chapter Twenty-Four: The King and I
Chapter Twenty- Five: Under Lock and Key
Chapter Twenty-Six: These Hidden Things
Intermission: Preview of Next Book
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Taste of Desire
Chapter Twenty-Eight: A Call to Arms
Chapter Thirty: The Welcoming Committee
Chapter Thirty-One: The Alpha's Arrangement
Chapter Thirty-Two: There's Always a Silver Lining
Chapter Thirty-Three: Questionable Motives
Chapter Thirty-Four: The Things We Are Running Towards
Chapter Thirty-Five: All Men Must Die
Chapter Thirty-Six: The Things We've Lost
Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Land of Blood and Bone (Part One)
Chapter Thirty-Eight: The Land of Blood and Bone (Part Two)
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Epilogue
Some A's For Your Q's

Chapter Twenty-Nine: All's Quiet on The Western Front

56K 2.8K 194
Von TeaNHeartache

I wasn't thrilled by the fact that I was following Silver and Lennicks through the darkened corridors in only a thin t-shirt but it's not like I could shift into my wolf form without drawing more attention to us. My skin itched with awareness as we passed guards making there were making there way to there evening posts. Silver threw a quick glance over his shoulder at me as if to reassure himself that I was still right behind him. I moved closer to him when I noticed a couple of guards looking in my direction.

Silver must have noticed my uneasiness with our current situation cause he slowed his pace and fell into step behind me so that I was now sandwiched between himself and his brother. I had to admit that I was pleased at his willingness to do everything in his power to protect even though I could take care of myself. Lennicks turned us down another corridor that had us moving away from the heart of the house. I kept my eyes scanning our surrounding, not trusting the king to not predict Silvers desire to save me or the other from his wrath.

Lennicks slowed his pace, "The door to our left leads out to the western garden. The sewage tunnel runs underneath it, I imagine that Valerie plans to use that as her means of escape for your friends." He whispers back to me. I peer over my shoulder to Silver for confirmation of this and find him glaring at Lennicks. Lennicks scoffs, "You're so predictable brother—"

I felt Silver move behind me probably to attack his brother but I pressed myself into him hold him back, "You can kill him later, but right now we need him. I'd personally really like to get everyone out of here in one piece." Silver let out a frustrated growl but pulled back. I focused my gaze on Lennicks expectantly, "Well get moving before I let him have at you..."

Lennicks grumbled under his breath as moved forward several more feet and opened the door, cool evening air wafting in. My skin broke out in gooseflesh and I shivered involuntarily, reminded once again of my scantily clad body. I sucked in a breath as I moved through the open door and into the outdoors. My wolf rushed forward as my eyes roamed quickly over the finely trimmed bushes. I keep my body tensed and ready for anything as I moved deeper into the garden grounds. Silver came up beside me and grabbed my hand in his. I looked towards him with a questioning glance.

"I just need to be close to you right now." He mumbled in a strained tone as if waiting for me pulled away from him. I didn't argue with him knowing that he clearly was stressed and his instinct to make sure I was protected was driving him. I did my best to ignore the feeling of Silvers hand in mine . I tried listened carefully to the world around us but I didn't pick up anything unusual, all I could here was the croaks of frogs and the chirps of crickets. 

 Lennicks moved quickly past us bumping my shoulder as he went, which earned him a warning growl from Silver, "This way love birds." He motions for us to follow him with his hand. He didn't seem to concerned about a possible attack which had me relaxing slightly. We followed him through the garden ground towards the far western corner that seemed to be less maintained then the other parts. It had a strange eerie feeling to it, as the branches of the bushes reached up towards the sky in a twisted and mangled mess. 

"Silver help me with this." Lennicks calls out and Silver reluctantly releases his hold on my hand and moves towards his brother. I can't see what they are doing at first but as I moved closer I saw them hoisting up a metal grate from the ground. I heard the sound of rushing water and the scent of fecal matter rushed to nose making me take a step back in disgust. 

"Took you long enough to get here!" Valerie growled as Silver and Lennicks hoisted her up out of the hole in the ground. Her eyes fell to me for a brief moment before she turned her back to me. Obviously she still didn't like me all that much, but it didn't bother me any. As long as she helped to keep Silver and his pack safe, that's all that mattered to me. One by one they lifted the others out of the ground. I took in there ragged appearances but was happy to find that for the most part they were unharmed. Marshall was the last one out of the hole and he was the worst looking one out of the bunch.

He groaned in pain as the set him down on the ground, his arm wrapping around his side. Bunny moved quickly to his side with a tight lipped expression, "Marshall?" He peered up at her and tried to give her a reassuring smile, "I'm fine Bunny, just a little stiff..."  he replied as pulled himself up off the ground. I could see the pain that wavered over his face but he held himself together for his mate, which was admirable.

Leo let out a small sigh of relief, "I am so glad to be out of that shit hole—literally. I could kiss you!" He exclaims from his spot next to Lennicks as he wraps his arms heartily around him without care. Lennicks stiffened up and peered down at Leo with a strange expression before pushing him away, "Please don't touch me—I don't want your stink all over me." 

Leo pouted slightly before looking toward Libra who was looking between her brother and Lennicks with curiosity, "Do I stink that badly?" He asks her. She rolled her eyes before she reached out and pulled him to her side, "Ignore Mr. prissy pants. I don't mind your stink."

"Prissy pants?" Lennicks mouth fell agape at her insult. Leo followed up her insult by sticking out his tongue. Lennicks snapped his mouth shut and glared back in response but said nothing more. 

"Will you all shut up?" Valerie hisses in annoyance, "We don't want to attract attention to ourselves. We are trying to—" Her words were cut short flashes of lights erupted around us. My growled as I tried to shield my sensitive eyes from the flash bombs. It had be hunters, these were the types of weapons they liked to use. When I felt someone grab a hold of me and I struggled frantically, "Grace it me!" Silver snarled in my ear and I relaxed as he pulled me toward the others.

"Through here!" Lennicks yelled over the chaos exploding around us. My eyes were watering but I could see that Lennicks had Leo by the scruff of his shirt and was pulling him along while Libra was following quickly behind her protesting brother. Valerie was helping Bunny usher the wounded Marshall toward the exit. I chanced a quick glance over my shoulder to see that there was a group of hunters moving through the shadows after us. Silver picked up his pace as he pulled me along beside him, his hand holding onto my arm in a tight grip.

I heard the rush of air, not moving quick enough as a silver tipped arrow grazed my arm. I cried out at the burning pain that passed through me, stumbled forward slightly. Silver growled in frustration. I gritted my teeth against the pain, "I'm fine—it's just a flesh wound." I say feeling the need to reassure him that I was fine, and I was. It only stung like a bitch. 

We made it through the small opening the others had passed through only to come to a sudden stop when we found everyone frozen in place. Before us there was group of hunters with there weapons locked and loaded. I glared with hate filled eyes as I scanned over the crowd, looking for a point of weakness. Lennicks stood at the front of the group looking tense, with Leo hidden behind him. Libra stood near Bunny, Marshall and Valerie who were completely useless at the moment. That left Silver and I at the rear, knowing that hunters had caged us in from the front and the back. 

"I'll take care of the hunters behind us—you help your brother make as way for us through the front." I whisper to Silver. He tenses up beside me, "You can't take on all those hunters alone Grace..."

I snorted, "Yes I can."

He didn't seem willing to leave his place beside me, damn alpha male! I pulled away from him, "Help your brother or let them kill us all because we'll be dead by morning anyway." I remind him of his fathers plan to execute us all. He sends a heated glare in my direction but he moved away from me, "You better make it out of this alive Grace or so help me..." 

I didn't wait to hear him finish his threat as I shifted into my wolf form and spun around to face of with the hunters who were coming through the opening in the bushes. Chaos erupted around me but I focused my attention on my prey, who hadn't expected to find themselves facing off with an alpha. One of the hunter shot at me but I dodge the bullet as I leapt forward, breaking through their formation. 

I heard the cries of hunters behind me followed by the furious snarls of angry wolves. I let the sounds urge on my wolfs bloodlust as I sunk my teeth into the thigh of one of hunters as he tried to escape me. I felt his bone snap under the force of my bite. He released a cry of pain and tried to get me to let go by slicing at me with the dagger he had clenched in his hand. The tip of the dagger caught my muzzle. I released him quickly with a yelp shaking my head at burning cut. Another hunter took his opportunity and stabbed an arrow into my flank. I threw my head back and howled against the pain as hot white rage rushed through me. 

 I turned roughly to the side and snapped my teeth as the hunter who had stabbed me with arrow. I caught a hold of his shoulder and I pulled him towards me. I shook my head furiously back and forth wanting to inflict as much damage as possible. After a moment I tossed him to the side and moved back towards the hunter I had been attacking earlier. He was trying to drag himself away from the battle but I wasn't about to let him get away. I grabbed a hold of his ankle and dragged him across the ground enjoying his screams of terror.

I released before I nudged him onto his back. I caught his look of fear before I drug my claws across his stomach slicing him open. I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. I turned my attention in the nick of time to see a hunter firing another arrow in my direction. I ducked down low to the ground as it flew over my head. My lips peeled back to reveal my sharp teeth as the hunter tried to quickly reload her bow. I lunged towards her, slamming into her with my body and sending her flying back towards the mangled bushes. I watched as she was impaled on several of the branches, her eyes wide with surprise.  

I turned away to see the dead and dying hunters surrounding our small group, they clearly had never stood a chance. Silver and Lennicks looked terrifying with there muzzles covered in blood and their furs matted down from the fight. I shifted back into my human form, stumbling forward as I ripped the arrow free from my leg and chucked to the ground. I moved forward ignoring the aches and pains of my body. Silver trotted over to me quickly his dark eyes scanning me for any severe injuries. 

"Leo, give me your shirt." Libra demands and he shoots her a look but quietly takes of his shirt and hands it to her. She walks over to me and holds it out, "I doubt Silver will want you walking around naked—" I take it from her with a grateful look and slide it on over my body, it barely covers me because Leo is much smaller then Silver. I let my eyes roam over the group and everyone seems to be alive which is good enough for me at the moment. 

Lennicks lets out a bark and swings his head motioning for us to follow him. I let out a heavy sigh as the group started moving again as if we hadn't just fought for our lives. Silver trotted closely beside me and I leaned my body against his, feeling the effects of my wounds. I weaved my fingers into his fur, "Have I ever told you that I really hate hunters—" He snorted at my comment which made me crack a smile. 

-------------- 

Song: First of the Year --Skrillex

A/N: That was exciting wasn't it! I gave you some action, cause I know how much you love when my little babies kick ass! Were you expecting hunters? I bet not--:P

Are we happy the gang is back together again? 

I have already planned out the rest of this book so at this point it's about nine chapters left (unless I decided to add something more). Thinks are going to get real intense and some people aren't going to make it through this book alive. That's right I'm about to start killing bitches off! In a game of throne reference --some will be purple wedding status and some with be red wedding status...that's all I'm saying.

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

1M 42.7K 33
-COMPLETED- ~3 Years BEFORE Luna Hana~ The running never bothered her - she had run her entire life. From what? Nothing in particular...at least no...
92K 3.9K 21
New Sexy Cover by Onesee!! #THE PEACEMAKER The Alpha follows an irresistible scent that leads him to his beautiful mate, bathing in a pond under t...
216K 6.5K 44
It is in my nature to be kind,gentle, and loving,but know this. When it comes to the matters of protecting my pack, family, and my mate, do not trifl...
232K 5.1K 32
|Highest Ranking: 76 in Werewolf, 13/3/21 | After the murder of her parents, sentenced to live the rest of her life out as a rouge. What happens when...