Blue Money | Nick Robinson

By notnickrobs

Survival of the richest. When Anna Kyle starts attending Vale Amare preparatory boarding school her life shi... More

Intro
cast and character aesthetics
Chapter One: Rich
Chapter Two: Poetic Energy
Chapter Three: Drive
Chapter Four: Bliss
Chapter Five: Hungover
Chapter Seven: Blue People
Chapter Eight: Burning Angels
Chapter Nine: Moonlit
Chapter Ten: Shattered
Chapter Eleven: The Fallout
Chapter Twelve: Cold Snap
Chapter Thirteen: Emma
Chapter Fourteen: Broken
Chapter Fifteen: Mend
Chapter Sixteen: Chaos
Chapter Seventeen: Need
Chapter Eighteen: Numb
Chapter Nineteen: Ghosts
Chapter Twenty: Warm
END

Chapter Six: Pink Pills

2.6K 56 21
By notnickrobs

When the week ends I feel almost strung out like a yo-yo. Dizzy, up and down.

I have so much to think about; between Nick, kissing Nick, AP classes, Savannah's mental state and Layla keeps giving me dirty looks so also that plus trying to call mom and dad so they don't think I'm dead.

I'm trying to do my homework but I want to go see Nick. I feel like I've barely seen him this week besides the occasional quick kisses in secret. Things are slightly shifted since Savannah told me about his; I guess you could say bad boy reputation. I'm not afraid of his past I'm afraid of the future, eventually everyone always snaps back to something they wish they weren't.

Eileen bounces into the room and stares at me grinning until I take my headphones out.

"Yes, Eileen?"

I try not to roll my eyes on her name. I adore the girl but living with her is like taking care of a bunny rabbit, one that needs my attention every second.

"How do you feel about flashing Miles Calaway later?" She's joking but I give her a blank look anyway."I'm just kidding, jeez, touchy."

I gesture to all my homework. "I'm just trying to do something productive here."

"Well, stop it," She pushes out her lower lip trying to work her pout on me. "There's a party tonight," Eileen spins in a circle and then pauses holding a finger up. "No, I mean it's the party."

"What does that mean?"

"It's going to be on the roof of the administrative building. Which is insanely risky but i guess life isn't fun without a little risk," She grins. I sigh.

"That sounds horribly stupid, Leezy," The nickname easily rolls off my tongue.

She places a rose pink fingernail on her nude lips. "Ok, weren't you just telling me yesterday how you want to blow off some steam?"

"Those were not the words used but yes I did say if there was a party I want to go," I rub my temples. Eileen lights up for a second but I hold my hand up. "But not one that can result in my scholarship being ruined if we get caught."

"Oh, puh-lease, Anna, do you think they would expel half the school for having some fun? Besides," She perches herself on the edge of my bed, like a bird, back straight and nose turned up. "If we did get in trouble they would only punish the person who's throwing it."

"Who's throwing it?" I ask.

"Fuck if I know."

"Yeah, thanks, Leez."

I go to put my headphones in but Eileen grabs them from me. I open my mouth to protest but she shakes her round head and holds a hand up. I wait for her to give me a good reason to risk being sent back to actual Hell. Hell being my small hometown in the middle of fucking nowhere and bored out of my mind.

"Nick is going," Eileen looks trumphient like she won a battle.

"So?" I snap my fingers. She doesn't react and holds my gaze. I sigh loudly, letting my hand drop. It makes a plop sound on my knee. "I see him everyday."

"That's not the point," She huffs, knitting her brows together. I don't know what she wants from me and whatever it is Eileen wants; She gets.

"What's the point then?"

"It's a party and I want you to have actual fun with your friends and boyfriend."

I consider her, squinting. "It sounds like this is something you want and not me."

"Anna, please, I want you there, don't bail on me."

"It's not bailing if I didn't agree to go in the first place," I mumble. I nervously lick my lips when I see her downfallen face. Damn. It. Leezy. "Fine. Stop pouting."

Eileen lights up and tackles me onto the bed to hug me, crinkling my homework papers with her knees. "Thank you, thank you!" She plants a sloppy kiss on my cheek.

"Yeah, yeah'" I sit up, pushing her off.

She tosses my headphones back at me and jumps up, spinning.

"t starts at midnight," She clasps her hands together like an ecstatic 2nd grader. "I got to go meet up with Miles for something, So, you need to go across the hall and tell Layla and Sav I'm getting them on the list. Thanks love ya!"

"Sure," I say just as Eileen vanishes from the room, almost slamming into the door on her way out.

The hallway smells faintly of lavender air freshener.

I knock on Savannah's door. Layla answers.

Instantly, I feel nervous. There's something intimidating about her. She kind of scares me and not the good kind of scared.

Layla is wearing leather shorts paired with black heels. She's in a black bra, her black coffee hair spilling over her pale and bony shoulders.

"Nice shirt," She muses, a leer on her lips.

I look down and remember I changed into one of my dad's old t shirts. It's grey and it's covered in bleach stains, there's a hole in the sleeve.

"Uh, thanks," I cross my arms. "Is Sav here?"

"She's in the shower, do you need something?" She's dripping with fake kindness, a smile plastered on her face. I return it.

"I just came to tell you guys Eileen is getting you into that party tonight."

"Aww, that's sweet," Layla grins. It feels so phony and I don't trust her. My skin is crawling with uncertainty towards her. "Thanks, honey."

"Yeah, no problem," I'm backing away now, I want to go hide under my blanket for a bit after this. Layla feels like broken brake lines to me and the person driving doesn't know they're broken so you could just slam into something at any time. She's a car crash waiting to happen.

"Will you be there?" She leans against the doorframe, that silky smile on her mouth.

"Uh, yeah," I freeze.

"I am so looking forward to it," She shrugs happily and then shuts the door. I shake out a shiver.

I feel like she hates me, the fake niceness is basically pouring out of her and I can't quite figure out why she's trying to mess with me.

Or maybe I'm crazy and she's not messing with me at all and I need to take a few a chill pills. Maybe I just shouldn't worry as Sav would say.

***

MIDNIGHT

A lot can happen in one night. Things can shift, knuckles can get broken, drinks can be spilled, in one night, in a span of a few hours everything can either break you who you are or change you for the better. It can take one group of people and throw them inside a blender, press on and shred them up, mix them together until they're nothing without the other.

I get to the party right at 12:03 am with Eileen having her tiny arm tucked over mine. The roof is shining with Christmas lights and lanterns, gold watches and shiny glasses filled with liquor.

Nick is leaning on the edge of the roof a drink in hand, separated from the small cluster of dancing teens that fumble around.

Eileen spots Blake and Sav. She unlinks with me and flounces towards them, her tiny black dress edging up.

I'm wearing one of her white dresses; it's got thin straps, a gold middle and swishes around my thighs. My hair is straightened, smooth like the silk on the bottom of the dress I wear. My jelly shoes barely make a click over the sound of the music, it's not too loud but if you were sitting somewhere on campus and you listened very closely you could hear the insignificant thumps of it.

I make my way to Nick and he smiles at me. His hair is brushed back, one strand falling down onto his forehead. A button down shirt with the sleeves rolled, tucked into dark jeans and paired with black shoes that shine. Mine have a dirt stain on them.

"Hi," He sips his drink, grabs my hand and pulls me closer to him. I'm aligned on his body and I'm slightly terrified because all it would take is one big push and we'd both fall down and break open, like dropping an uncooked egg.

"How are you?" He mumbles before placing a soft kiss on my lips.

"I'm great now," I fiddle with the collar on his shirt. "How are you?"

"I am just grand, babydoll," Nick grins at me.

"Good," I kiss him quickly and then lean back, pulling him up by the hand. "Let's dance."

I pull him into the crowd of people and he spins me around once, my dress twirling around my thighs. He pulls me into him and I land softly right at his chest.

"Smooth," I raise an eyebrow at him.

"See, I'm not a total dick," He puts his hands on my waist and I drape my hands over his shoulders.

"I didn't think you were a dick," I lie.

"Anna," He says, spinning me around again. "You are many things but you're a terrible fucking liar."

"Hey!" I laugh. The song changes.

We sway slowly to the music even though it's an upbeat song. My stress and worries melt away into the twinkling lights and soft yet dancy beat. Everything's okay for once and the thought of it crashing down can't help but cross my mind.

12:12 AM Savannah Paul

"What do you guys think of those two?" Sav slurs and sticks her pinky into the drink and takes it out, sucking on her small finger.

She's gesturing her head towards Anna and Nick, who are swaying on the dance floor like it's prom night.

Maybe it's just that Anna is from a whole different universe and it drips from her every time she speaks but she has a small qualm about the two being together which does not happen often for Savannah. Nick is gold and lemon water and Anna is chipping nail polish and lip smackers chapstick.

Eileen looks them over, scrunched up next to Blake; she looks smaller than usual with his arm around her. She takes a quick sip of her pink lemonade."They're cute but I think they're moving way too fast."

"Leez, come on," Blake says, she looks up at him. "Their relationship isn't ours to chat about. They can move as slow or fast as they want."

"Right, I just mean," Eileen shakes her head. "Nevermind. I wasn't trying to be judgemental."

"No, I know, relax," Blake rubs her shoulder and she happily squishes closer to him.

Savannah notices Blake is one of the only ones who aren't drinking or even getting high. He was so boring and careful sometimes but she couldn't blame him for that. Afterall she's one of the only people who know what had actually happened that past summer.

"I need a refill!" Eileen proclaims, detaching from Blake to go to the table of fruity drinks and hard liquor.

Savannah is still watching Nick and Anna, they're laughing.

"You're worrying," Blake observes.

Savannah shoots him an annoyed glance and takes a drink of her mixed liquid. "I don't worry."

"Denial doesn't suit you, Savvy," He looks concerned and she sighs heavily.

"You worry too much, Blakey," She rolls her eyes but shoots a smile at him.

"You don't worry enough."

Savannah adores Blake, he's one of her best friends but something he isn't good for is partying with. It's hard when the thing that everyone does for fun killed your twin sister.

"What are you thinking about?" Blake nudges her.

"Emma," She blurts out because she's drunk and she's knows Blake misses her just as much as Savannah does.

He pales slightly and runs a hand through his mess of curls. "Wow."

"I didn't mean to bring her up, you're just always so cautious and it's boring!" Savannah keeps rambling, her words throwing up. "But Emma was an accident, it was just too much to drink and she fell and I know-"

"Savannah," Blake warns. He looks sad and Savannah folds into herself, slouching down.

"Oh, god, Blake, I'm so sorry I just," She looks away from his downfallen face. She doesn't think he can hear her over the music now. "I want you to be happy again."

"I'm happy, Savannah," Blake tells her. She nods but doesn't believe him.

"We need to get you a boyfriend," Savannah says, quietly.

Blake hears it and shakes his head. Savannah covers her mouth. Nobody knew Blake was gay, except for her.

"Sorry," She says and he rolls his eyes. Not mad, just aggravated now. She's pushing all his buttons and not even on purpose. "I should shut up."

"You really should, Savannah, you talk too much when you drink," He snaps.

"Look, i'm sorry, jesus, Blake," She feels bad.

"Don't worry, that's what you're good at!" He throws his hands up and stalks off.

Too much damage you're inflicting, Savanah, cut it out. Stop drinking. You know what happens after too much. Accidents.

Savannah closes her eyes for a moment. The darkness is spinning. She needs another drink or something stronger.

She thinks about Emma, slipping on the wet pool tiles and bashing her head on the concrete, falling into the swimming pool. Red, blonde and blue.

Miles Calaway's voice makes Savannah's eyes burst open. "Hey, beautiful."

Savannah is staring him right in the face, floppy hair, evil eyes and a smirk that says trouble.

"Don't you have someone else to harass, Calaway?"

"Nah," He shrugs. "You're special."

She stands up straighter trying not to wobble. "Why is that?"

"I have some party favors for you," He winks, reaching into his pocket.

"Wait," She reaches forward and grabs his arm much to his delight. "What do you want in return?"

"Nothing, this is special," Miles says.

She moves her hand and he pulls out a small ziplock bag of multi colored pills. "See," He says. "This is some new stuff so the first one is free."

"I don't beileve you," Savannah purses her lips. If there's one person you can't trust at this school it's Miles fucking Calaway.

"I promise," He pulls out one of the very few pink pills. "No charge."

Miles holds the pill out to her and she looks at him. The same smirk on his face as always and a deep coldness in the pit of her stomach that wants the little pink magic.

"What is it?" She asks, taking it from him.

"Do you care?"

He's right, she doesn't. Savannah pops it into her mouth and downs it with the rest of her drink. She hands the empty cup to Miles.

"Thanks," Savannah moves past him and onto the dance floor.

The music sweeps her away and she moves her hips, raises her hands, moving to the rhythm.

The world changes like a snap, just like that and Savannah freezes and opens her eyes. Everything just changed, every atom, every star, every patch of skin. She's sweating and she feels almost sticky like a caramal candy.

What the hell did Miles give me?

It wasn't acid or any drug she had ever taken before it was like molly but times ten, it was MDMA on drugs.

Suddenly, she almost falls, feeling dizzy. She stands up straighter, the music moving around her and the people becoming the beat of the song. It felt good, too good, her skin warm and the stars cold.

Wave after wave of colors falling over her.

"Savannah?"

That's her name, who said her name?

Savannah opens her eyes, not noticing she had them closed. Blake is in front of her. He's an angel, like actually literally glowing.

"Woah."

"Savvy, you've been standing here for like ten minutes."

"You're so british," She pokes his cheek but it causes her to lose her balance and she almost falls but the angel catches her.

"Fuck, did you take something?" Blake pushes her hair back and she leans into his shoulder. He helps her walk over to the ground and sets her down gently.

Savannah leans on the cold bricks and feels Blake's warm hand.

"I don't know," She mumbles. Everything's getting a little too dizzy. She feels like she's going to throw up all the happiness she just took. "I don't feel so good."

"Shit," Blake squats next to her and places his hand on her forehead. "You're burning up."

"I'm sorry," Savannah closes her eyes not wanting to see any colors anymore. She's too dizzy for that.

"It's not your fault," He says.

"No, not that, not that," She feels like she's asleep. "Emma, I mean Emma."

"Emma was an accident," Blake's voice is soft, mixing with the hard song. He sighs. "We need to get you water."

"No," She snaps her eyes open and pulls Blake closer.

Savannah feels like she's on a cloud but it's slowly evaporating, and it's going to send her soaring to the ground. It's going to hurt like a motherfucker when she smashes open like a goddamn watermelon. She wants to smash open, she needs to let her secret out.

"I gave her the drink."

"What?" Blake feels shocked, is he slipping away from her grip?

"Emma had too many drinks I-I knew that, I knew and I w-wanted to have fun and I gave her the last drink before she-she," Savannah can't finish the sentence but she looks at Blake's blue eyes, color of the pool Emma died in.

"Savannah," Blake shakes his head. He looks like a ghost for a second. "It's okay."

"Emma is dead because of me," Savannah doesn't know if she's crying but she feels like it. Her chest is tight, her stomach knotted with guilt.

Blake doesn't respond, just stares at her like maybe she's the one who's a ghost. Too long passes where it's just the music and the chatter.

"I need to get you water," He says, standing up.

"Please don't leave me," She begs him.

"I'll get Eileen just wait here, right here don't move," He vanishes and Savannah finally starts crying.

She can barely move, afraid the dizziness is going to kill her. Every bit feels too hot and she can feel her bones shaking and stomach seizing up.

"Well, what is going on here?" Layla stands above Savannah.

"I need Blake," Savannah says, trying to wave Layla away.

"You're pretty out of it," Layla leans down next to Savannah. She roughly grabs her chin and points it up. Layla looks scary. "Poor little rich girl."

"What?" Savannah tries pushing her away but she misses.

"Jesus christ, you're out of it," Layla's voice is like daggers. "Miles did better than i expected."

"What?" Savannah says again, blinking away tears.

"You'll get it soon, sweetie," Layla tucks a strand of Savannah's hair back as if comforting her. "Blame Miles for the drugs you took or I'll tell everyone about what happened to Emma, including, Emma's mommy and daddy. How do you think they're going to feel when they realize you killed her?"

Savannah stares at Layla sick and reeling. "I- I don't understand." How is this happening? How is everything catching up to her at once?

"You should really be quieter about what you tell people in public," Layla says. "You never know who might hear you." She smiles, standing up. She blocks the moon. Just as fast as she appeared she goes away.

Savannah is shaking and she wants to throw up to get whatever she took out of her system but she can barely move. Miles did this on purpose and for what? For Layla? Why? Did Emma dying have something to do with Layla?

Savannah had known Blake's family since she was 13 years old, they had been going to the same school ever since and she spent every summer with them until..until Emma had died.

Why would Layla want everyone to know what Savannah had done? What had Savannah done to Layla?

The thoughts shook Savannah to her core and overcome with grief and dizziness the sickness inside her stomach finally came out. She fell on her hands, her hair making shadows around her as she puked everything up.

"Oh, jesus, savannah!" Eileen's voice laced with panic.

Hands make an appearance on Savannah's hair pulling it back from her sticky forehead and cheeks. There's sweat dripping down her back.

"Miles," Savannah leans back against the cold bricks, trying to breathe. "It was Miles, he gave it to me on purpose." She closes her eyes, swalloing and still tasting sick inside her throat.

If Layla wanted her to blame Miles, she would do it. If pretending to be Layla's friend meant nobody else finding out about what Savannah had done then that's what she would do. Nothing would ever cost too much for Savannah to hide the truth.

"Miles wanted her to get sick," Eileen repeats to someone. Maybe Blake. She feels more bodies closer by, it's not just Blake and Eileen.

Nick's voice joins the music, anger spitting from his words. "I'm going to fucking kill Miles."

"Nick," Anna says. "Don't do anything stupid."

"I'll flip a coin to see who gets to kill him first," Blake says, ignoring Anna's comment.

"Miles isn't worth it," Eileen snaps, her voice harsh but her hands are still next to Sav, gentle.

"I don't fucking care," Nick says. "Where is he?"

The group stays silent and the song changes, making everything feel like it's set in slow motion. Savannah starts to drift off, her head still spinning.

"Nicholas," Anna has worry all over her voice. "You can't, listen to me, don't do it."

Savannah opens her eyes, trying to stay awake.

Anna is begging Nick with her eyes to not do anything that would cause her to lose him. He looks like he's trying to resolve the problem in his head but his fists are clenched ready for a fight.

The contrast between the two of them is almost beautiful; Anna dressed in white and gold and Nick in black and anger.

"Fine," Nick roughly runs a hand through his hair, sighing. He looks at Eileen. "Leezy, you stay with Sav. Anna and I will get her water and Blake you go find Miles but don't throw any punches alright, we need you here too."

"I can't make any promises," Blake says.

"Blake," Nick moves closer to him and says something Savannah can't hear. Blake nods. "Good."

"Wait," Savannah says, looking at between Blake and Nick. "Thank you."

"Anytime," Nick smiles softly at Savannah and grabs Anna's hand, moving through the throngs of drunken, blue and spoiled teens.

Blake whispers something to Eileen and then goes off like everyone else.

"Let's get you a little farther from this puke," Eileen lifts Savannah up enough just to move a couple feet down. She stumbles but Eileen sets her down gently. "That's better."

"Nothing is better," Savannah closes her eyes.

"No, that's not true," Eileen says. "Everything will be fine, once you can walk a little better you'll take you to bed. It was just bad drugs from Miles."

"Right, from Miles."

Whatever little blue pill Savannah had taken it had been from Layla and for whatever reason Layla wanted to make sure it was Miles who took the fall. She had heard the truth about what had happened to Emma and now for some other unknown reason Layla had Savannah wrapped around her finger.

If Savannah knew anything at all she knew that Layla Amaya doesn't control people unless she needs them.

So, what did Layla need Savannah for and why?

1:00 AM Blake Charles

Blake Charles finally finds Miles after what takes far too long. He's been away from Savannah for too long and if anything happens to her he's going to blame himself and also goddamn Miles, the bastard.

Blake finds him in the teacher's bathroom with a few girls, they're all high obviously, Blake doesn't know on what. He doesn't really care either. He just wants to kick Miles into next week and even though Nick was keen on that he had warned him they would get Miles back later, whatever that meant.

The girls are all clones of each other, snapping gum in their pink coated mouths and dyed hair that was too bright to be natural blonde.

"Hey, get out," He snaps at them.

"Who the fuck are you?" One of them raises a dark eyebrow. Melanie Emerson is her name, her daddy owns some car company and she thinks she invented winged eyeliner. She wasn't very nice and Blake didn't feel like dealing with her when he already had to chew Miles out for almost hurting Sav with whatever he gave her.

"I have to talk to Miles in private," Blake glares at him. Miles smirks.

"Ladies," He winks at one of them. "I have something to discuss with Blake here. We'll catch up later."

"Alright," One of them pouts. Melanie shoots daggers at Blake. They grab their things and shuffle past him, leaving the boys alone in the clean restroom that smelled of fake peaches and strong perfume.

Miles is on the counter, one leg swinging and the other draped over a sink. He's wearing a white polo shirt with the collar folded up.

"What can I do for you, Blake Charles?" He raises an eyebrow.

"What the fuck did you give to Savannah Paul?" Blake doesn't move from his place beside the door mostly afraid because he's just going to fucking deck this asshole in the mouth.

"I mean," Miles hops down from the counter. He reaches into his back pocket and pulls out a pack of gum. "If you ask a little nicer than that, baby, I might tell you." Miles unwraps a piece of gum and sticks in his mouth, eyeing Blake.

Blake swallows. He would be lying if he said he didn't think Miles was attractive, he was Miles Fucking Calaway. Everybody knew he was good looking but it's not like anybody ever actually hooked up with him.

And if they did they probably never spoke of it, the shame too heavy to utter about it.

"Shut up," Blake snaps, trying to shake the heat in his stomach. He clenches his jaw. "What did you give her?"

"Is she not having a good time?" Miles takes a step toward Blake. The heat swells up to his cheek and he steps just the tiniest bit away, keeping the distance.

"Listen, Miles," Blake's throat catches on his name. "Just tell me what you gave her and how long she's going to be messed up for. I don't want her puking in her sleep."

"Aw," Miles clutches his chest. "You care so much, that's so sweet."

"Shut up," Blake says. Miles takes another step towards him. Blake steps away to the counter, leaning against it. Miles pauses.

"She'll be fine," Miles grins. "It's just an innocent little pill, Blakey. She just needs to sleep it off."

"And I can trust that?" Blake raises one eyebrow, ignoring the pull he's feeling in his chest between him and the other boy. This guy was an asshole there was no way he could be attracted to him or even trust him.

"Sure," Miles says and it's secure enough that Blake believes him.

"Thanks a lot, Myles," Blake moves to the door to leave but Miles stands even closer now. Blake is only a couple inches taller so he stands up straighter. His heart thumps so fast he thinks it might break out his chest.

"You could be a little nicer," Miles breathes, he steps forward, and Blake backs into the counter.

"Quit messing with me," Blake says. He grips the white counter. Miles presses his body against Blake's. Shit.

Blake's spin shivers in a really good way and tingles travel down his body. The other boy grips Blake's shirt, edging up to his lips.

And goddamn it, Blake wants to pull away and go check on Savannah but here's Miles fucking Calaway inches from his mouth and he hasn't kissed anyone in so long, any guy in so long and maybe on the list of bad ideas Blake's ever had this would probably be the best.

Miles closes the distance between them and Blake sucks in a breath. It goes from zero to 100 in seconds, Miles mouth tasting like spearmint and shirts being tugged off and hands unbuttoning jeans and just pure mixing with the corrupt, an angel and demon touching until the rest of the world caves in.

1:22 AM Layla Amaya

Layla ducks away from the bathroom door, the picture of Miles and Blake kissing saved to her phone. Several pictures actually one of which with Miles on his knees.

Layla smirks and goes back upstairs to the chaos of the party; the teens are still boisterous, spilled drinks and it slightly smells like vomit mixed with the familiar smell of Chanel perfume.

This is going to be wondrous for blackmailing purposes; she's got Blake and Miles fucking Calaway under her thumb. No one has anything on Miles the king of extortion and she's got a picture with a dick in his stupid mouth.

So that's how you get him to shut up.

Layla smiles at her own joke and makes her way to the drink table. She grabs a bottle of vanilla flavored vodka.

Tonight was going so well, she had everyone she needed wrapped around her finger; that's how she wanted it, needed it to be. Everything was going to fall into place and soon enough she would own this school the way she owned the last one. Control is what she needed and that's what she was going to get.

Layla takes a swig and maneuvers through the throngs of dancing people to go back to check on Savannah. It's not like she wanted her dead.

Eileen is mumbling to Savannah who is half asleep and mumbling back, her head resting on Eileen shoulders. They're hidden from everyone else and Layla approaches them.

"Has she puked yet?" Layla asks, putting on her best fake concern.

"No," Eileen sighs. "She always drinks too much, I swear."

"Aww, poor baby," Layla pouts and takes another drink from the bottle.

"A little compassion, maybe?" Eileen mumbles.

"Not my forte, sorry, honey," Layla drinks and looks behind her. Lance is walking up and she rolls her eyes. "Here comes bag of dicks."

"What's up, ladies," He carelessly trails his eyes over the two girls and then glances at Layla. "And this spawn of Satan."

"Takes one to know one," She looks him up and down. He looks pretty good, pale pink t-shirt with khakis. If he wasn't such a dick she might suck his.

"You always charm me," He fake smiles at her then looks down at Sav again. "What's up with her?"

"Miles gave her something," Eileen's voice is laced with annoyance.

"He's sketchy as fuck," Lance states, putting his arm around Layla.

"Says you," Layla snaps, shaking his arm off.

"Do you ever give it a rest, bitch?"

"No, not for you," Layla turns away from Sav and Eileen.

Layla steps past Lance and he unwittingly follows her like a stupid lovesick puppy. Layla takes a sip out of the bottle.

"What do you want, Lance?" She goes to the other side of the roof, less people, more sky. She leans against the edge, her fingertips on the cold stone.

"For starters, you would be good," He smirks at her. She smacks his chest. "Ow!"

Lance rubs the spot where Layla smacked him and he begrudgingly faces away from her, leaning his back on the edge of the roof.

Layla grabs the bottle and takes another sip letting the sweet but burning drink linger in her mouth for just a moment. She considers Lance, looking at his suede boots to his grey shirt and plump lips.

He was cute, she hadn't not noticed that she just had more concerning things on her mind. Like Nick.

Nick and Anna.

The thought of them sends repulsion through Layla and she almost gags. Just as she was going to tell Nick how she felt that little slut just had to stroll up and steal him. Nobody steals from Layla without getting a fucking serious dish of revenge.

Which is way Layla needed Sav around her finger, she needed Miles on her side, she needed every ounce of ammo she could get if she was going to destroy everything Anna had in the few weeks she had been at her school.

"What are you looking at?" Lance breaks through her thoughts and Layla blinks at him. He's looking a little fuzzy.

"What?" She tosses her hair back but it feels clumsy.

"You're staring at me," He has that smile of his playing on his lips like he's achieved some sort of goal just now.

"I was no-" Layla stops herself mid sentence and picks up the bottle of alcohol, chugging several gulps before wiping her mouth and then coughing.

"Jesus," Lance runs a hand through his hair. He had nice hair. "What's your problem anyway? I don't mean now I mean in general," Lance scoffs. "You're always such a bitch."

"Oh boo hoo," Layla slurs slightly, her words feeling heavy as they come out. "Poor Lance has his panties in a wad because a little girl like me is mean to him. Go cry to your stupid daddy about it."

"Okay, that's enough of this you lightweight," Lance tries to grab the bottle from her but she swats his hand away, taking another drink, some spilling on her chin. He gives an agitated look.

"You're only bitter because I won't have sex with you," Layla wobbles and Lance reaches out to help her balance but once again she swats his hand away.

"Lay, don't be like that," Lance sighs. "Look it's not, whatever you think okay, I'm not like that all the time."

"Really? Because that's just soooo hard to believe," She puts her hand on her chest, hiccuping.

"Why are you like this?" He gives a forced chuckle.

"Because I-" Layla stops talking again but this time she doesn't put the bottle to her lips. She's showing actual emotion and she knows it. Tears are pin pricking the corners of her eyes and her throat feels like it's closing. "Forget it."

"Layla," Lance sounds gentle for once and she doesn't look at him, instead she takes another drink, finishing the bottle.

"Just shut up," Layla bites out. She drops the bottle and without thinking pushes her body against Lance's, pulling his lips down to hers.

The surprise fades on his end and even though she's almost dizzy to a fault and about to cry, he kisses her back and not Lance like at all.

It's a little sloppy but gentle, it kind of feels like standing on the beach and the waves go over your feet and you sink and you have to wiggle your toes out from the wet sand.

Layla hadn't thought she would be kissing Lance, ever but she needed him for the rest of her plan and she needed to shut herself up before she told him something she would regret, something about herself that nobody knows.

Kissing him was better than the truth.

The worst detail about kissing Lance wasn't knowing it was just a ruse but the fact that Layla could feel her own heart breaking.

1:53 AM Lance

"Okay, wait, Lay," Lance pushes Layla down gently. She looks up at him with pink lips and brown eyes filled with blank emotion yet again as if she had never felt sad in her life.

God, he wanted to keep kissing her but she had just drank her weight in vodka and there's some things you just don't do.

"What's wrong?" She asks.

"Nothing, it's just, this song is shit and I'm really stoned so like," He waves his hand not sure what kind of gesture or point he's trying to make. "I'm distracted."

"Oh," Layla's shoulder slink for just a second but then she pulls them back up. "I need to sleep anyway, I don't feel great."

"I think that's the first time I've heard you express something that sounds human," Lance says.

"I am human," She tilts her head up at him. "I'm just a cold one."

Lance smiles and kisses her forehead not knowing why but she seems content with the gesture because she smiles silkily.

They don't link hands or show any sign of having anything other than disdain for each other as they walk back to the more populated part of the roof.

The party seems to be dying down and Lance thinks about heading to bed as well. He follows Layla to the open door that leads to the stairs but just as they enter, Blake shoves past them, followed by Nick and Anna.

"Where's the fire, chill," Lance blurts.

"Shut up, dude," Anna snaps and Lance furrows his eyebrows offended.

"Yeah, really man," Nick says and the three of them run off as if on some sort of mission.

"That was totally rude," Lance turns to complain to Layla but she's gone.

He looks back at where Savannah and Eileen are nestled and watches as Anna gives Sav water as Nick and Blake whisper to one another.

The thought crosses as his mind that he doesn't quite know why those people are his friends. Is it only because of the years they've known each other or the money they all seem to have filling their pockets?

Lance isn't comforted by either thought and he looks away, thinking maybe calling them his friends wasn't even a true statement.

2:00 AM Nick Robinson

Anna is gentle with Savannah like she's made of glass. Her fingers are nimble, brushing Sav's hair back and pushing the bottle of water to her lips.

Blake said Savannah took something new, something not out there yet that still had to be perfected. How Miles managed to get something like that into school was beyond Nick and beyond that he has no idea how Blake got that out of Miles without kicking his ass.

He looks over at Blake who's chewing his thumb and then stopping every seconds. He looks nervous and strung out more than the rest of them.

"She's going to be okay we just need to get her to sleep," Nick says.

"Huh? No, what?" Blake has his arms crossed.

"I didn't ask anything," Nick replies.

"Oh, right, right, she should sleep," Blake gestures to Savannah.

"Yeah," Nick's gaze lingers on Blake trying to gauge his mood but he looks away when the girls start struggling to lift Savannah up.

Blake rushes to help and Nick picks Sav up, one hand tucked on her back and the other around her legs, she's shaking and feels a lot smaller than she actually is.

Anna and Eileen stay near the front clearing a path for Nick, say excuse me every so often and then guiding him down the stairs and out onto the lawn. Blake follows nervously, keeping an eye out for anyone.

Halfway to the dorms, a silent hum falls over the campus singling the music had stopped. The party was over and now everyone would be stumbling back to bed with heavy eyelids and shoes in hand as if they had spent a whole weekend out.

They make it back to Savannah's room and Eileen opens the door, pulling the blankets open for Sav. Nick sets her down on the bed, gently. Eileen pulls her heels off and Anna covers her with the comforter. Blake lingers by the door, checking around the deserted halls.

"You think she'll be sick?" Anna worries, whispering.

"Nah, she's come down enough, Blake says she needs to sleep," Nick looks up at his friend but he pays no attention.

Nick looks over at Layla's bed and she's sound asleep, still fully clothed.

"I'll come across tomorrow and check on her," Eileen says, placing a hand on Savannah's forehead. She's snoring softly and Nick breathes a sigh of relief.

They listen for several more seconds before leaving the room, making sure the door closes quietly behind them.

"I should head to bed," Blake says, taking a step away from the group.

"I'll walk you," Eileen goes to follow him but he shakes his head.

"It's fine."

"No, really it's not a problem I-"

"Eileen," Blake cuts her off, putting a hand out. "It's okay. Just, go to sleep. We all need to sleep."

Nick watches them closely and Eileen wobbles her lip but nods, letting him tread down the empty hall, his shoes making the smallest of pit pitter sounds.

"I guess i should sleep too," Eileen whispers and Nick pulls her into a short hug that she lets go from. "Are you coming yet?" She turns to Anna.

"Um," Anna looks at Nick and he gives her the slightest quirk of his mouth to indicate a smile. "I'm going to stay up for a bit longer."

Eileen nods and tiptoes back to their room.

Nick pulls Anna against him the second that they're alone. "Are you okay?" He tucks a strand of her hair behind her ear, letting his fingers linger on the side of her jaw.

"Yeah," She looks down and he tilts her head up by her chin. Nick could get lost in the swirling sea of her eyes for hours, for days even.

He knew he was a stupid cheesy romantic but he loved it. He loved being able to take care of and love one person, a soulmate. Unless it was going to end badly. He had already been through that before.

With Anna he felt calm, at ease, like everything would be okay no matter how many times he had fucked up before. His mistakes were just mistakes that lived in the past, he didn't even need to bring them up because they didn't exist anymore, he was and is better with her than anybody else before.

He opens his mouth to tell her all this, let one his ramblings come out no matter how many damn times he says um or uh, but a sound of footsteps makes them both jump.

There wasn't security guards every night but there was always a risk they would send someone to go check on things. The footsteps draw closer and Anna grabs Nick's hand and pulls him into her room, silently closing the door behind them.

They wait a few seconds, hearing the muffled movements of whoever was checking the dorms this late or possibly it was just a student. Nick wasn't going to take that risk that.

He looks over at Eileen's bed who's fast asleep, his eyes adjusting to the darkness. He turns to Anna.

"I can't go back out there," Nick whispers.

"I don't want you too," Anna says back her voice hushed. "I don't want you to get in trouble."

"Maybe I can just crash with you?" His heart pounds as soon as it's out there and he can feel her hesitate before answering.

"Yes."

"Are you sure? I can just try to sneak past whoever it is, um, maybe it's just Blake or something," He says.

"No, you're staying here."

Anna grabs his hand and pulls him closer to her bed. She slips her shoes off and climbs under the comforter. He kicks his shoes off and lies next to her.

With ease she puts her head on his chest and arm around him. He lazily starts tracing circles on her upper back and places a kiss on her head. Her hair smells like pears and stardust. If stardust had a smell.

He's never fallen asleep so fast before. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

180K 3.2K 30
Cassidy Smith suffered the loss of her parents when their farm burned down. She was barely 18 and had no other choice but to work in the saloon. She...
652K 20K 42
Johnny's little sister Seo Min Jee or "Jenny" came from Chicago to spend time with her older brother for the summer in South Korea. She was supportiv...
4.7K 191 7
i wonder who's watching me now ╱ ©theonotts 2023
150K 1.9K 28
"when you hear the water running, come over. there's a key under the mat." sabrina has just moved in to a new apartment and has the hopes of starting...