Coffee & Criminals

By HessianKills

18 year old Florence Remy has three things that mean the world to her: Twizzlers, her best friends Ade and Cl... More

Author's Note
1. Love is a Mutual Thing
2. An Unforgettable Arrival
3. Don't Say My Name
4. Mr. (Not) Nice Guy
5. Tunnels
6. A Coffee-Related Mistake
7. A Very Wet Revenge
8. Mom!
9. Egg Free Muffins
10. Coming Clean...Kinda
11. Surprise Visit
12. Half-Baked Potato
13. Lost In Brooklyn
14. I Dare You
15. A Ride Back Home
16. Observations
17. It's Just Rock Candy
18. Goodbyes & Warnings
19. Balloons
20. Liar, Liar
21. Adventure
22. She's Your What?!
23. Bad To The Bone
24. Ouchies
25. Open Up
26. Good Girl
27. Regret
28. The Phone Call
29. Criminals Like Pancakes, Too
30. The Devil is a Good Kisser
32. The Interrogation
33. Actions Have Consequences
34. I'm Sorry, Sir
35. Sleepover
36. Knock Out
37. Every Rose Has Its Thorns
38. Trials & Tribulations
39. Moth To A Flame
40. Nice Bathrooms
41. Run, Baby, Run
42. Until The Bitter End
43. Blast Off

31. Aca-Scuse Me?

75.9K 3.5K 1.9K
By HessianKills

Outside, it was very blustery. The wind moved in strong gusts, whipping light things back and forth and swaying the heavier objects around the large black and white helicopter. It didn't actually land on the grass, but hovered a few feet above it. Inside, I could see a person with balding grey hair and a headset hunched over the controls, checking everything before glancing towards where Wolfe and I stood.

"What is this?" I stared wide-eyed at the rotating blades. They were huge and extended enough to make me uncomfortable from how close we stood, even though I knew the blades were at least five feet above my height. The pilot waved to Wolfe, like a beckoning signal to get inside. He seemed grumpy and had wrinkles all over his face, like a dry piece of beef jerky.

"It's a helicopter, Florence." As Wolfe spoke, he pulled out his phone again. I could barely hear him over the roaring. He tapped some things on the screen as I stood beside him awkwardly, unsure of what to do. Now would be a great time to slap one of his ears and run. Subtly, or what I thought to be subtly, I glanced over his shoulder. It was a bank account transaction from Wolfe to someone named Sven Karsou. Eleven grand, to be exact. After it was complete, Wolfe pocketed his phone and gave me a grin. "Are you ready?"

"Ready for what?" I asked. An uneasy clench overtook my insides. The mischievous way Wolfe was smirking meant something very bad was about to happen and I knew I wouldn't like one bit of what he was planning.

"Come with me." Wolfe held out his hand. It wasn't an order, but an invitation.

Come with me. As if it was that simple. Wolfe was dangerous company, did he not realize that? Of course, it wasn't like I had much of a choice. I was miles away from home, completely vulnerable to the actions of Wolfe Sterling. As long as I was with him, what affected Wolfe in turn affected me. He was my only protection and the only familiar face around. And this familiar face wanted me to go on a helicopter ride with him and Mr. Grumpy to heaven knows where.

"You are so hilarious, Wolfe."

"I'm not kidding."

"Ha! Nice one. Almost got me there."

"I'm not kidding, Florence." Wolfe repeated. He nudged his head towards the helicopter, where the pilot seemed to getting more impatient by the minute. "Come with me. Just for ten minutes, that's all. One quick trip over New York and I'll have you back to Brooklyn before you can say 'Twizzlers'." Noticing my reluctance, Wolfe gave me a smile that could charm Medusa. "Come on, Florence. I won't take you out of state, I promise. When's the last time you've been somewhere other than Brooklyn? There's a whole city waiting for you. I'm not going to shove you out of the helicopter, I promise. You can even wear the cute little parachute vest."

"Like that would make me feel better!" I was mortified at the thought. "Wolfe, a helicopter? What for?"

He shrugged. "Fun."

"You think murder is fun, so excuse me if I don't agree with your activity choices."

"It won't be that bad." Wolfe rolled his eyes, as if flying around empty air in a metal machine hundreds of feet above the ground was as normal as breathing. As if people weren't afraid of heights. Unless there was a bouncy trampoline made of Twizzlers waiting to catch me when I fell to my imminent death, there was absolutely no way Wolfe was getting me on that helicopter.

"Nope." I shook my head wildly. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see the pilot's shoulders heave up and down as he sighed impatiently. "No. Absolutely not. No thank you, sir. I appreciate the offer, but I'll pass. It's not you, it's me. No. Nein. Ingen. Non. Absolutely, positively, most certainly, utterly, completely, totally, undoubtedly, precisely, definitely, entirely, wholly, fully, surely my answer is no."

"Please?"

"Okay."

I could not have regretted an answer so much in my entire eighteen years. Wolfe's face brightened. He wrapped his arm around my waist and basically dragged me to the chopper while I silently prayed for my life and tried to think of an excuse not to go. I was terrified of heights. I was even more terrified of them than I was about the Twizzler company going bankrupt. Red Vines were the devil and helicopters were his little helper. Wolfe didn't stray far from those labels either.

"Give me the word when you're done." The pilot said, craning his neck to watch us get inside. I had to practically drag myself on because the floor of the hovering helicopter was a good four feet off the ground. After Wolfe was done laughing, he helped me get inside by giving me a very helpful push up. Mute with terror, I slid into grey leather seat and Wolfe jumped in beside me.

There were a whole bunch of straps and belt buckles accompanying the plush leather seats. The pilot sighed softly as Wolfe leaned over and began wrapping my arms and torso around with these securities. His nimble but bruised fingers clicked this and tugged that. At least Wolfe knew what he was doing. He leaned in a little too close and I got a whiff of some really good cologne. That lustful urge came back with a fighting vigor, but at that point I was basically immobile so I couldn't do anything even if I wanted to. True to his word, Wolfe helped me slip on a safety vest. He cracked me a grin and sat back to do the same to himself.

After a minute, the pilot sighed again. "Ready, Mr. Sterling? The engine doesn't generate much power." He said gruffly. "I don't know how long the 'copter can stall-"

"We're good to go." Wolfe cut the man off and looked at me again. "The money's been transferred. You know where to go, Sven?"

"Can't exactly stray, huh?" Sven said without humor. The dude had wrinkles around his mouth from frowning so much. I bet he never smiled in his life.

Wolfe chuckled.

The helicopter began to rise. So did the bile in my throat. Hanging onto the seat belt for dear life, I stared straight ahead, my face pale and lips pressed together. What the hell did I get myself into? God, why couldn't I just say no? It was so hard to resist Wolfe though. He was like a little puppy...with a criminal history of drugs, murder, and extortion. One look and I was completely helpless.

After several minutes, I dared to glance out the window. My stomach lurched. We were now hundreds of feet above New York. Every movement of the helicopter, I could feel it. It was like sitting in the back of a school bus, except it was flying. And it was very loud. The roaring of the blades was starting to hurt my ears, but I couldn't move. I was frozen in my seat, biting my lower lip frantically to calm myself down. After my heart finally settled down, I looked at Wolfe. He was staring out his side of the window. I looked out mine again, practicing on taking deep slow breaths.

The image below was nerve-wracking, but also brought on a sense of exhilaration, like riding a roller coaster. Skyscrapers barely reached where we were, the giants of steel and metal now just like normal buildings. The smaller constructions were barely visible, and cars were no bigger than an inch. Euphoria, the addicting high, took my breath away. Vertigo rushed through my veins, clouding my judgement. What the hell was I thinking, going on a helicopter ride with a wanted mafia boss?

The helicopter smoothly flew over the East River and then the Brooklyn Bridge. I'd never been out of Brooklyn in my life. A whole country sprawled across and I had spent all eighteen years of my life in one beautiful city. I wasn't complaining, though. Once you've seen New York you've seen it all, right? The scene below was even better and suddenly, I didn't regret my decision to much.

"Eleven thousand dollars?" I turned from the window and looked at Wolfe. "You paid the pilot eleven grand just for a helicopter ride?"

Wolfe Sterling looked even more beautiful, with the sun across his face capturing little quirks I hadn't noticed before. The stubble on his jawline grew in all directions, the creases on his mouth were tinted red, interrupted by the occasional scratch or cut. He was a fellow lip biter. White teeth glinted in the light when he parted his lips, sharp and inviting. I remembered how my tongue hurt when I ran it along the edges of his incisors. I wanted to feel that again.

"I have no use for it." Wolfe answered smoothly. "So why not give it to someone who deserves it? Sven's been there for me since day one. Words can only repay a person so much. Money can get to places kindness can't in this world, after all. All that bullshit about loving everyone and this nonexistent idea of happiness you have in that head of yours, Florence, is nothing but daydreams that barely paint the image of this real world. I've seen it all. Nothing is sugarcoated, Florence. How many murderers do you think walk this city? How many thieves, rapists, drug dealers do you think you've walked past and smiled at?"

"Okay, Mr. I-Hate-Everyone." I said angrily. "You have your opinions, I have my own. Let's just pretend we mutually respect one another and leave it be. Your party pooper attitude is very infuriating-"

"That's who I am, Florence." Wolfe looked at me. "I'm a terrible person. Can you love me still?"

"No emotional attachments." I muttered to myself. Looking at Wolfe suddenly became a chore so I trained my gaze out the window. More tiny skyscrapers and specks of cars. We were flying over Long Island and the Atlantic Ocean stretched far and blue until it met with the skyline even from my viewpoint. I was lost in the image for a few seconds until Wolfe's purring voice brought me back.

"Too late for that." He said so softly I thought I imagined it.

Suddenly, Sven Karsou glanced back at Wolfe.

"Mr. Sterling, we've got company." He announced over the roaring.

Wolfe twisted in his seat to glance over his shoulder at something. Alert now, I craned my neck to look too. Sven sounded worried, which was not a good sign. Wolfe noticed whatever had attracted the pilot's attention and turned around, his eyes flashing and lips pressed together. I was still trying to see what company Sven was talking about. Before Wolfe's body blocked the view, I caught the nose of another white-and-blue helicopter flying in the distance, growing closer.

A police helicopter.

"Shit." Wolfe growled. He quickly unbuckled himself from the seat and began to do the same to mine. The pilot was now pressing buttons and switching levers as we neared the Atlantic Ocean. The NYPD helicopter was getting closer and closer. I could see a figure inside the cockpit and several more black-clad men in the back. They were still too far away for me to see anything else. 

"What?" Panic was quick to clench my stomach as Wolfe undid everything from my chest. "Wolfe, what the hell?"

"Just hold on." He said, his voice straining. 

"Mr. Sterling, really. I cannot-"

"In a second!" Wolfe lashed out. He undid the last belt buckle and pulled me closer to him. My mouth went dry as I noticed the police helicopter even closer than before. Several officers in the back were now moving quickly. Their door was open and I could see something shiny black object glint in the sun. Rifles. Wolfe reached into the back of the helicopter and pulled out something bright and orange. It was a life vest. He threw it at me. "Here, put this on."

"Um-" I stared at the vest, unable to comply. What the hell?

"Florence, put the fucking thing on!" Wolfe growled angrily. His furious tone got me moving. With my hands shaking, I opened the sides of the neon life vest and pulled it over my head as he reached over and pushed open the side of my door. Wind rushed inside, making everything rustle. It was ferocious and took my breath away. My heart pounded as I peered out. Water. We were moving across the Atlantic Ocean and farther away from the shores. The police chopper was following close by. The officers inside were now tugging on bulletproof vests and slinging rifles. One man caught my eye and grabbed his radio, speaking inaudible words. 

"Wolfe!" I freaked out and tugged his arm. He was leaning over the pilot's seat and said something to Sven, who looked uncomfortable but nodded. I guess eleven thousand dollars had its perks. 

"Florence-" Wolfe sat back, pulling me close. His eyes were dark and alert, scanning over everything in an instant. He dipped his head down and spoke into my ear, his words hushed and deathly calm. "-listen to me. I'm not going to lie to you, this is very bad. I don't know how they found us, but something needs to happen because I promised I wouldn't let you get hurt again, and I have every intention to uphold my words. Now, this something that needs to happen, you won't like it one bit. But if you want to get out of this alive, Florence, you need to listen to me and do as I say. Do you understand?"

I was terrified but I nodded. "Yes." My voice wavered. "I understand."

"Good girl." His lips brushed my ear. "Now, I want you to stand up and go over to the edge of that door. And then I want you to jump, okay? You'll land in the water. Stay above the surface for at least a minute, the cops should reach you by then. You'll be taken into custody and I'll deal with it then. I promise you, Florence. I won't let you get hurt. Please just listen to me, just this once. We don't have much time and I'm not going to let you die. There is something that I need to do and you cannot be around to witness it. Hate me for the rest of your life, Flo, I'll accept that with the utmost graciousness. But don't argue with me, not right now. We can't do this right now and I will not let you get hurt." His voice was hard but still calm. I think it was a tactic to keep me from panicking. I was pretty close to having a full blown temper tantrum, though. 

"Wolfe-" The word left my lips as a choked whisper. I couldn't process what he was telling me to do. "I can't swim! Please don't make me do this, please. I'm begging you-" I couldn't believe what I was saying, but this whole situation was pretty unbelievable to begin with. "-turn yourself in. Don't do this, please. You can't hide forever. I won't testify against you. No one will. There is no way this can end up well for either of us- I'll drown and you'll end up in prison-"

"Mr. Sterling!" Sven shouted. "Is the girl ready? We have less than one minute before-"

"Florence!" Wolfe grabbed my chin and forced me to look into his eyes. "What did I say? I won't let you get hurt. I promised you that, why won't you believe me? Why don't you understand how much I love you? Fuck, Florence. I love you, so much more than I should. There is no other way. Now jump  before I push you off this damn helicopter myself."

I was speechless.

But the seconds were ticking and everything was all too much, so I numbly slid over to the edge of the seat and glanced down. The police chopper was so close I could clearly make out the faces of the people inside. All decked out in full SWAT gear and holding guns. Ready to take the helicopter down, ready for the one and only Wolfe Sterling. But I was now on their radar too. So it was too late, wasn't it? We were already fucked. 

On trembling knees, I stood up. The tips of my feet were level with the edge of the helicopter. Wind blew strands of hair into my face. My heart was beating so hard and fast I thought it was going to completely stop working in the next minute. Empty air was below me, interrupted somewhere by a blanket of blue waiting. It was several hundred feet away and I felt sick to my stomach. My fingers wrapped themselves around the door frame in a death grip but sweat was making everything clammy. And the helicopter was moving, every drop of turbulence threatening to shake me off. 

"Hey." A soft voice spoke. I looked back to see Wolfe stand up and come towards me. Lips pressed against my cheek and I closed my eyes. When I did, it almost felt like I was standing on the ground. Wolfe kissed me again, closer to my mouth. He tucked a few strands of hair behind my ear and spoke one word so softly I barely caught it. 

"Omerta."

I pressed my lips together and glanced back out to the water waiting patiently below. "If I die, Wolfe, I'm coming back to haunt your ass." I said, my voice shaking. I heard a breathless chuckle come from behind me. Closing my eyes, I focused on an image of my parents and Clancy. I had to see them again and to do that, I had to stay alive. Keep breathing, no matter what.

With one last glance behind me, I took a deep breath and I jumped.

It was actually a pretty cool sensation, to freefall through the air. Of course, it only lasted just a few seconds. It happened so quick I don't think I let go of the breath I was holding until I hit the water. Instantly the coldness sucked the warmth from me and swept it away with the icy tide. My breath caught in my chest and for a second, I was so stunned I couldn't move. Water was everywhere, above and below and on the sides. When I opened my eyes I could see only inky blackness. And then my instincts kicked in. Flailing madly underwater for a few seconds, I broke the surface and took in a deep breath. My chest felt like it was about to explode. The freezing Atlantic was unforgiving and it took a moment for me to even begin to process anything. 

I felt like I was stuck up to my neck in glue. The waves had a life of their own, making it hard to move. My arms felt thick. A thousand icy jolts pierced my skin and I had to fight to stay afloat. The life vest did little to help. In the sky above I could see Sven's helicopter grow smaller as it rushed out towards the ocean, the police chopper following close by. I kicked and watched them head out to the endless blue until both helicopters became no more than a speck and finally disappeared. Godspeed sounded too small to say at a moment like this. I couldn't fathom now both the people searching for Wolfe Sterling and Wolfe himself could juggle around lives like they didn't mean anything. Every bullet had a price and I had a feeling Wolfe was about to pay his in blood. 

Like Wolfe said, it only took a minute.

And then law enforcement arrived.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 25.7K 25
Elena Russo has never lived a normal life like most. To her normal was having a constant bodyguard and not being able to indulge much on life at home...
513K 16.3K 24
He's ruthless. He's powerful. He's demanding. He's in pain. Twenty-six year old African-American journalist Victoria Browning wants to get away from...
113K 6.8K 99
An eleven-year-old Mimi can see demons. She finds one feeding on a mafia boss, unconscious and bleeding out against her favorite breakfast dumpster...
23.3K 1.1K 65
Maya owned a hair salon in New York. She recently wanted to go for law and had an interview with the boss. Walking in she didn't know this would be...