Search for the Light #2: The...

By mackenziii

More

Search for the Light #2: The Academy

845 7 4
By mackenziii

CHAPTER ONE

I woke up startled that morning and pulled my dark brown and black hair from the usual ponytail I wore when I slept. Grabbing a turquoise tee and a pair of dark wash shorts I headed off to the bathroom still half asleep and turned on the shower. The water was hot against my skin, and I ran my fingers through my hair with my eyes closed imagining it to be an exotic waterfall from somewhere like Brazil or Argentina. I have never even visited these places but I could imagine everything so vividly, I was really good when it came to creative things like this.

The water temperature was perfect for the next thirty minutes, never needing to be adjusted it was beautiful. I stepped out and got dressed studying today's outfit critically. "Ah they'll never let me wear it," I walked back to my room and put on a pair of black pants and an argyle sweater. My parents were against anything that made me act or look less academically inclined, I've always been smart, but they've really worked me over.

Last year I had the highest GPA in my school but it wasn't enough. "Strive for perfection, 100% only, etc," dad was the worst, he acted like this was everything in my life and he spent all his extra time running memorization methods through me and studying techniques. Although I already had a photographic memory, he wouldn't give up.

This morning mom and dad were standing at my bedroom door, his arm was around her shoulder and she had been looking like she was crying. "Oh hey family, Joan, Ted... what's wrong with Joan?" She preferred me to call her by her first name rather than mom, because she was born Joan, not mom and she really didn't feel like my mom anyways.

"Today's the last day of seventeen for you," she sniffed and looked up to Ted.

"Tomorrow you'll be eighteen and we have a pleasant surprise for you when you wake up tomorrow morning."

A smile crept across my face and I started bouncing where I was standing, "can I get a hint? I want to know a little bit of it?" I ran to him excited, they usually only gave me gift cards for my birthday.

"Get to school; you're going to be late. You already have a perfect attendance and if you wreck that you're grounded from your cell phone for another month."

I checked the mirror, slipped the glasses over my make up free eyes and pulled my hair up into a bun. God I looked like a librarian. Scary. I ran to the SUV and sped off to school arriving right when first bell rang. I reached class just in time for the second bell to ring, and took my seat at the front of the class room.

"Ms. Livingston what is the answer?" Mrs. Jones the art teacher asked, while pointing to this painting of a beautifully covered sky, stars, moon and buildings.

"Well it's impressionistic with a hint of abstract and looks to be painted by a psycho with one ear," I laughed and finished, "Vincent Van Gogh, Starry Night."

"Well done," the teacher smiled.

"Nerd, geek, teacher's pet," I heard students behind me insulting, if only they knew why I have to do so well. I could picture dad yelling at me last year after finishing with a 97% average and cut off a foot of my hair for having such a low average. Currently I stood at 99 point something, and the parents were happy enough, but that also meant that people here at school weren't the biggest fans.

School was a chore, that I had to suffer through and the girls chose to make it a living hell for me for the past four years of my life. This one really fake blonde, I mean her roots were a couple inches visible and who knows how many times she's been knocked up; anyways it was her personal vendetta to wreck my life. Once in gym class she actually took my clothes after I showered and threw them in the boys' room, luckily I convinced this little grade nine girl to grab them for me.

I seem to have a way with most people, I can persuade them easily to do nearly anything. Still the thought behind Lacey's actions clearly was maniacal and destructive, oh well at least I was going to be a stripper when I'm older. She'll be ho-ing herself out and I'll be living in a big house somewhere exotic, running some big corporation.

Stupid girls.

It was final class and I decided to pull my hair out of the bun and pulled off my glasses to rub my eyes. My hair fell down past my chest, wavy and not to brag but it was gorgeous hair, I was for sure gifted with that much. I could feel my eyes stinging from not wearing the glasses, I looked over at the clock and I heard a gasp from the guy to my right.

"What are you looking at?" I slipped on my glasses and studied his features. He looked shocked staring back at me and shuffled closer.

"You're beautiful," he seemed mesmerized by my face and I pulled my hair back into a bun, as the bell rang I quickly jumped up and ran out of the classroom.

I stood at my locker and I could hear people behind me, jock squad in its entirety and lovely glory. Lead by the bumbling idiot from last period, Hank something rather; I don't keep track of football players. They were all too unintelligent to have a real conversation with, well in my mind at least.

They were all looking and pointing at me and Hank was the first to approach me, "sorry but what can I do for you? You seem to all be blocking my way out of the hallway." I slammed my locker shut and turned to face him, "if you have something to say be my guest."

He looked shocked that I wasn't one of those shy little nerds, "could you please take your hair out of that? I want to show the guys what you look like, and here let me take your glasses." I let him pull them off my face, and he gasped again, I'll assume seeing the bright grey my eyes were. I pulled the elastic out and shook my hair to either side of my face, smoothing my side bang back to the right side.

"Satisfied?"

"You're hot!" Oh god, my mind said nothing was wrong but my legs carried me out of the hallway quickly before the mob of guys could catch me. I hopped into the SUV and drove home as fast as the monster would let me go. I locked the doors and ran upstairs into my room and shut that door too. Looking into the mirror I pulled out my hair which fell into place on both shoulders, curls and waves everywhere. My eyes were makeup free but I didn't need any really, my eyelashes were so dark and thick and the abnormal grey eye color shone through.

"Too damn weird," I told myself and sat on the ledge by my window watching for passing cars. I leaned against the wall and began to fall asleep, I could feel the cold through the window but it didn't make me cold like everyone else. I just understood that the breeze through the glass wasn't warm like the fireplace downstairs; I guess I've never actually felt chilled. Weird? Welcome to my life. Strange things like that happened all the time, other than having influence on people's actions, but I can't feel cold, I can move water and control the weather.

I moved from the ledge and into bed slipping on a pair of flannel pajama pants and an old math camp T-shirt on my way. Joan's crying woke me up the next morning, I sat up to see her and Ted standing in the doorway with a box in his arms. "Happy eighteenth Tess," he grimly spoke and handed me the gift. I crawled across the bed and grabbed it, ripping off the bow and pulling the lid off.

First I pulled out a necklace, sapphires and aquamarine gems covered the gold chain and on the back of the largest pendant it read 'our darling Thalessa'. "It's beautiful! Thanks so much guys," I tied it around my neck and continued searching through the box.

Next was a brochure to Yale, but it wasn't the normal Yale school, it was 'The Yale Academy for Immortal Beings'. "Is this some kind of a joke? School begins when you're eighteen, you finish at the age of twenty three more knowledgeable and stronger during the understanding of your calling." I read straight from the front page and stared dumbfounded at my parents.

"Keep going there's more in the box," he said as his grip tightened around Joan and I went back to the present.

The last item was a blue MasterCard, "you got me my own credit card?" I screamed and jumped off the bed, clumsily falling onto the floor. I got up smiling and curiously looked at Joan who was still crying.

"Joan, what's wrong?"

"You have to leave tomorrow, here's your acceptance letter and school supplies list. Thalessa, we're not your parents. We found you one night on our doorstep, it was pouring outside and these items were left in the basket with you. Last week we got the letter, clearly they haven't forgotten about you. You're not human Tess, you're- you-" she couldn't finish so I looked to Ted for help.

"Not human." I stepped back and looked in the mirror, "you look human, you act human but in all honesty we could tell you weren't from the day we found you. You're the Goddess of Water, well that's what the letter said anyways, your parents were spirits in another world, and when you were born a Goddess they couldn't keep you in this world. You'll be going to school tomorrow, we'll help you pack."

I fell back onto the bed and brought my hands to my face, "are you serious? This has got to be a joke!" I was shouting at Ted now.

"This is no joke, do you feel cold? Can you move water? You've been controlling people around you too, ah yes I can see from your reaction you have been doing this." He laughed and continued, "This is a great opportunity, you'll have a degree from Yale, and no one will know about the immortal part. Also you will stop aging when you turn twenty, so enjoy growing for a little bit longer."

I brushed the tears from my eyes with my hand and turned to Joan, "will you take me shopping?" I smiled when I saw her face loosening, and she ran over to give me a hug and mumbled into my ear.

"Your charge card should cover your shopping for the rest of your life, let's hit the mall." I drew back from her and stared at the card.

"How much is on it?"

"You won't have to work ever in your life, even if you took up drugs, smoking and became a shopaholic you'd have money left over." I grabbed the card and looked it over.

"Let's go!" I yelled, "One last shopping day together mom?"

She wiped her eyes and laughed, "Joan, remember I'm Joan. I'll take you to the city, that way you can hit all of the expensive stores." She winked and took my hand leading me downstairs, "bye Ted, we'll be back much, much later."

I read through the school supplies list out loud during the car ride, the basic university equipment started off: binders, laptop, pencils, pens, etc. but then it started to get weird I also needed a dagger and candles and the school attire for a goddess was dresses and heels. Anything else and you were sent to go change into something more appropriate.

"What other kinds of creatures are there that go to this school?" I asked Joan who frowned.

"Read through the pamphlet everything's in there."

"Here at the Academy we help a wide variety of immortal beings become educated in their history including spirits, vampires, werewolves, shape shifters, gods, goddesses and many more. Vampires?" I screamed and covered my neck with my hands, "they can't be serious, I won't go to a school with savage blood sucking vampires."

"Thalessa, you have no choice, they will arrive at the house tomorrow morning at eight to pick you up and fly you to the school. You'll be fine, you'll meet people like you, or different creatures and you will make friends."

We arrived at the mall shortly after and the conversation didn't pick back up on the subject, "so we'll get the school supplies first because I'll assume they'll be the easiest to find. The dresses and shoes however will be the tricky part," she winked and pulled me into Staples to get all of the necessary supplies then we walked into Aldo to start looking for shoes.

We parked the car close to the doors because after we left every store with had armfuls of bags and hangers. I managed to buy forty five pairs of high heels and one pair of black pumas for regular wear; I hoped I could wear those on weekends or something.

I cleaned out the stores of their dresses buying fifty little black dresses, a few white and black high waisted dresses and some colorful ones for when I felt adventurous. My favorite was a bright teal mini bubble dress that was strapless and had twisting and overlaying from Jessica McClintock, it really looked amazing with the necklace I received for my birthday.

Before leaving I stopped in at Abercrombie and Fitch and Lulu Lemon to pick up a few pairs of jeans, some tees and sweaters for when I wasn't in "regular" school attire.

We arrived home at nine that night and I spent hours trying to pack everything in the suitcases and dress covers I bought. I finished near twelve with six suitcases and ten dress hanger things, and I began to fall asleep on op of my covers.

Joan woke me up at six o'clock the next morning and her and Ted had already moved all of my suitcases downstairs, I put on some eyeliner and turquoise eye shadow then threw the makeup in the new Louis Vuitton bag. I slipped on a small Guess dress that had thick straps, a low neckline and a high hem. I matched it with a pair of three inch, teal, pointed heels and walked down the stairs with my purse around my arm and my hair curly and hanging loosely over my shoulders.

"Thalessa you look stunning today," Joan commented as I came to the front door and opened it to see two black Cadillac's waiting outside for me and all of my stuff. I gave them each one last hug and walked out the door probably never to see them again. The driver had already taken the liberty of packing my suitcases and dresses away in the car behind the one I was just stepping into.

"Do you like flying miss? Or would you prefer to drive to the Academy?"

"Can we drive?" Flying wasn't my forte, I wasn't afraid it was just that since I had the choice... I was going to pick low key, high safety option this time.

"You know there are more car crashes per year than there are airplane crashes?"

"Yeah well do you know the likelihood of surviving a car crash in comparison to an air plane crash? Hm... let's consider... plummeting to our deaths a few thousand feet in the air or running away from a burning car. Thank you." I put the headphones for my iPod and turned up the volume, I could see he was still trying to talk to me so I pulled them out, "sorry what did you say?"

"We'll arrive in approximately five hours miss, so I hope you're comfortable in that dress."

"I'm perfectly fine thank you," the dress wasn't like silk or anything so it was stretchable and in turn comfy. I put the headphones back in and rocked out for the next three hours to various genres of music, when I took the headphones out of my ear.

"Hey driver?"

"M'name's Jim, what can I do for you?"

"Can we stop at the next McDonald's or something? I haven't eaten yet today, and I really have to pee."

He laughed, "well Ms. Livingston I could probably do that, although the academy's expecting you around 12, that's fine I'll just tell them we'll be about an hour late."

We turned at the next exit and I engulfed a Big Mac, large fries and a large coke in about ten minutes, stopped in the bathroom on my way out and spent only fifteen in McDonalds. He stood in front of the car talking with the other driver and looked over, "you really must've been hungry. Looks like we'll probably still be on schedule after all. Do you need a change of clothes while you have the chance? There's about an hour and a half left until we arrive." I looked down to see creases in the dress and nodded.

I walked with the other drive to the car and pulled out a white mini dress with a lace layer over top. It wasn't as formal as the black one, but it was the first one I grabbed, and it didn't have any creases in it yet. I changed in the McDonald's bathroom and walked back out to the car with the dress in my hands. He took it and laid it on the front seat, "I'll send it away for dry cleaning as soon as we arrive m'am."

"Oh, thanks." I have never sent anything out for dry cleaning before, this trip was full of brand new experiences already.

I sat back in the car and kept readjusting in my dress careful not to show too much, wearing a strapless dress clearly was a mistake already. "So what's the school like? Are the people nice?"

"Only if you look a certain way, but you should be fine. There are a lot of boys at the school versus girls, the only girls are the goddesses, there are about seven to ten each year and none of them have the powers you have. Vampires are all male, female vampires don't make it through the change, werewolves; females don't want to admit what they are so they just choose to suffer through life. I guess shape shifters could be girls, but it's really hard to tell what they really are. They can't take the shape of a different person, but just their natural selves and animals; I've only seen male shape shifters though. Spirits don't go to school anymore, and well Gods are obviously men, they're like high school jocks though, probably want to steer clear." He finished, still focused on the road ahead.

"Thanks, for the thorough analysis."

He laughed, "don't be too worried either if you end up rooming with a couple of guys, immortals tend to be more 'mature' than humans so surely that won't be a problem."

"What are you?"

"Shape shifter, it's more fun than you think," he shrank into a monkey and continued driving in the oversized clothes. I couldn't help but laughing at the monkey when he moved back up into seat into a man. I applauded the trick and still couldn't stop giggling.

"We're here miss, Alec will take your things to your room so you needn't worry about that. Just check in with the secretary and you'll be set for school." I got out and smoothed my dress, readjusting it so it looked presentable again and grabbed my purse from the seat. I turned around and hugged Jim the driver, surprising him with the new closeness.

"Sorry, I'm just a little excited," I laughed and pulled away.

"I remember my first day, little nervous, but it definitely got better as I went on and I loved every minute of it. Careful though watch out for the vampires, they think they're the best because they have some bite. They're also all ridiculously good looking," he flashed a smile and I could see a beautiful man underneath the suit and cap.

I pulled away from him and made my way up the absolutely gorgeous school. It looked centuries old, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were, the bricks were falling apart and trees hung creepily over the front part of the lot. "Creepy," I whispered pulling open one of the large oak doors to the front of the school.

I stood there with my mouth wide open, I was completely stunned to see it looked absolutely modern, the halls looked like the school back home except much more elaborate and beautiful. I followed the signs to the office where there was a short little woman fussing over some papers in the corner.

I flashed a smile, "Hello I'm Thalessa Livingston, I just got here and I'm not sure where to go."

"Well come on dearie, let's get you your papers so you can get situated before orientation next month. School here is a little different than back home, you have a couple classes every day and go to school from July until March. You remain on campus from the end of March until orientation week again, to stay acquainted with the other students and faculty." She picked some papers up and adjusted them in her hands, "alright, so it says here Ms. Livingston that you are a- water goddess? Really? That's really rare, we usually only get the really obscure goddesses here. That's one of the elements!"

The little woman bounced over to her desk and grabbed a glass of water, "can you make it move?"

"Well I can try?" I asked and turned my palm up and raised it. The water followed and moved out of the water and into the air, I started swirling my fingers and the water began to twist and turn into spirals.

"Wow." We both said at the same time, I released the water and it poured back into the glass. "Here is a booklet for you; it includes your time table, room assignment, food card, student ID and some coupons for the mall downtown. We also rent out cars to our students if you feel the need to travel into town." She was still smiling when I left and inspecting her water carefully.

I played with the sheets in my hands and started down the dorm hallways, Room 113, where are you. I found it at the end of the hallway on the first floor and used the key to open the door. Three guys sitting on the couch were looking back at me, "oh hello, I'm Thalessa Livingston your new roommate apparently. Which room is mine?" I casually walked in and held my purse tightly in my hand, scared at the looks on their faces.

A blonde one smiled and stood up with his hand out, "My name's Theo Ramsey, vampire, star quarter back, I like long walks on the beach and dancing in the rain." He started repeating like a horrible date advertisement on Lavalife or something; I couldn't help but giggling and taking his hand.

"Hi there," I shyly said looking up into his blood red eyes, stepped back a little. "Y-your eyes are bright red!"

"Yeah and yours are grey, but you don't see me saying anything about them. Jerk," he sat back down on the couch and focused on the game again.

"So regardless, which room is mine?"

The one leaning back in the recliner with longer brown and gold hair sat up and pointed to the hallway, "it's at the end of the hall, and all of your suitcases are in there. You'd think you'd never have enough clothing but no your henchman kept coming back in with more and more. You're such a girl."

"Well sorry, maybe I'll just man it up next time and bring a pair of underwear, shorts and a tee. Idiots." I made my way to the back room and began moving my clothes into the dark cherry wardrobe. I finished finally after a solid three hours of moving and laid down on the bed. It was a comfy king sized mattress with aqua and navy bedding, I glanced around the room and it was all a pale blue color with the slight hint of oceanic waves crashing against each other.

It was soothing to be surrounded by something so familiar. I searched the room for more surprises and noticed a fish tank in the corner of the room. Okay fish tank was a bit of an understatement, fish aquarium was closer this thing took up half of the wall and was full of exotic and colorful fish swimming everywhere.

I smiled looking at them and created little whirlpools in the water spinning some of the fish where they were swimming. I twirled my finger and a tornado started to form in the middle of the little ocean and trapped a little clownfish inside it.

"Neat little talent you have there," a voice spoke from behind me and I stopped playing with the tiny fish right away.

"Have you ever heard of a little thing called knocking, and you do know it's completely rude to just barge in on an innocent girl. What are you some kind of mon-" I turned around and glared at the criminal standing in my doorway. He was about six foot something, tall dark and handsome every definition of the Prince Charming. Dark brown hair, pale skin, adorable features and piercing blue eyes, "what or who are you?"

"My name is Charlie Brownley; I am god of animals and basically any kind of animal at all." His hand moved palm out and the fish began to follow it, moving up, down and in circles. He released and smiled back at me, I see you have a similar quality, goddess of animals?"

"Water." I said quietly and he stood back a little.

"That's really impressive for a goddess. Do you have any other tricks?"

"Well I can control humans usually, the weather when I want to and possibly the other elements too?" I asked again, afraid of what he was going to do next.

"You can control the elements? And the weather?" He nearly was yelling.

"On a good day, but my strongest is water. I mean I've been working on this for a while," I twirled a finger and ran a breeze through his hair. "And this one got me in trouble when I was small," I snapped my fingers producing a small flame in my hand. "Earth is a little trickier to work but it's handy when I'm gardening, I figured out when I was little that I just had to touch my finger to the dirt and it'd open for the seed.

"Amazing!" He ran out of the room and started shouting at the other guys, "come here she's brilliant!"

The other two ran in after him, the blonde and the black haired one and there they all stood arms crossed in my door waiting for the show.

"I'm not a freak show."

"We're not saying you are! You're extremely talented for a goddess, even a god for that matter. Please show us!" Theo pleaded with me, and smirked, "I'll get on my knees?"

"You can't spread this. What you see here won't leave the room; I'm not going to be a side show." I rubbed my hands together and produced a flame in each and watched both grow and shrink before my eyes and my eyebrows raised up and down. I blew the flames out from my hand and smiled, pushing my hands towards the disbelieved boys the wind threw them against the wall. "Sorry!"

I ran over and helped them up, "I can't control them that well yet, oh" I waved my hand and the water in the tank started swirling and crashing against the glass. "All of them?" The black haired one asked, astonished.

"And humans, and the weather." Charlie finished and they all were smiling at me.

"Can we roast s'mores in your hands tonight or something?"

I frowned, "don't make fun of me." I crossed my arms and sat back on the bed and hooked my ankles. "I want to know who you are," I pointed to the black haired one, "and what you do. We have the horse whisperer right here and the leech right?"

They both glared at me, the black haired one just laughed and pushed some hair from is black eyes. "My name's Lachlan, I'm a werewolf, and boy oh boy am I excited for the full moon tonight," he fake howled and started laughing. "Don't worry we don't actually eat people like in movies, I basically become a wolf and eat Theo's pets."

I looked at Theo who was frowning, "six dogs and a bird in the last week. Can't you like terrorize a farm or something?"

"Too lazy," he shrugged and walked back out to the living room. Theo followed but Charlie lingered in the door staring at my fish tank, I could see his index finger moving and the fish formed a smiley face for me.

"Cute, now get out I need to change." I slammed the door shut and put on a pair of jeans and a black tee. I walked out of the room and sat cross legged on the couch and they all just stared at me.

"What the hell are yeah'll looking at?" I asked from behind my arms.

"You're not wearing a dress?" Theo looked shocked for some reason.

"Sorry, I'd rather wear a comfy pair of jeans and a nice little T-shirt."

"Well honestly we've never seen a goddess in anything but a dress, but I guess none of us have actually lived with one. We won't tell the faculty you're not in a dress." Charlie pulled a zipper across his lips and threw an imaginary key over his shoulder.

"Although I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that we wouldn't be upset if you wanted to wear dresses all of the time." Lachlan added.

"How long have you guys lived together? You finish each other's sentences like you've been married for years. It's kind of creepy."

"Yeah okay Miss," Charlie started.

"I'm so sweet at life because I," Lachlan added.

"Can control everything," Theo finished and they all started laughing.

"Freaks." I mumbled and leaned back on the couch beside Theo.

"You know if you're tired you can go to bed anytime, school doesn't begin until July 10th." Theo explained.

"Well then why am I here?"

"It takes a while to get used to everything around here, we're second year here. What classes do you have?"

I pulled the folded paper from my pocket and started reading from it, "Mental toughness, controlling your power, Goddess Life 101, free period and finally uh... self defense? I can't fight off a bug let alone a person, I won't survive that class!" I started freaking out at the idea of hitting someone.

"Calm down, that's why you have to take that course. You need to at least understand some hand to hand combat in order to keep alive in this world." Theo brought an arm around my shoulder and started rubbing my arm lightly. I smiled and looked up to his red eyes which made my inch back once more, "you're going to have to get used to it. All vampires have bright red eyes. Really, we're not that scary I mean I could probably bite you right now but you would taste all wrong anyways." He laughed and brushed my neck with the back of his hand.

"Well that's extremely reassuring." I stood up and started heading to my bed room, locking the door on my way in. "Night everyone!" I yelled threw the door and started changing into some new pajamas. I drew back the covers and snuggled into bed, staring at the fish tank still and swirled the water around until I started falling asleep.

CHAPTER TWO

Banging on the door woke me up at about 3:45 in the morning; I wiped the sleep from my eyes and walked over to it. "What the hell is wrong with you?" I started yelling at the culprit, and pulled the chain across my door.

"This is the dean; we know about your secret come out now and explain."

"I- I I'm sorry I can explain," I hurried to pull open the door to see three people, laughing as hard as they could. "Idiots," I said exhausted and sent them all flying down the hallway. "Do not disturb a girl's beauty sleep, we're temperamental."

Theo came running down the hallway as I slammed the door shut and hit him in the face. "Swear to god I will wreck you if you try anything like that again," I screamed and flew back into bed diving under the covers. I spread my arms and legs under the covers to stretch out when my hand hit something. I sat up and ripped off the comforter to see someone lying there with his face in his hands.

"Hi there," he laughed.

I started screaming and ran out of the room as quickly as I could. I hid behind Theo who was still laughing from waking me up, "there's someone in my bed!"

His smile dropped and he rolled his eyes, "Lachlan get out of her room," he yelled but I knew I've never seen the guy in my bed.

"I'm right here," him and Charlie were sitting on the couch watching television. Both of them stood up and walked to my bedroom, I followed but the only thing I could see was my comforter over my floor and a little mouse scurrying from under my bed to the door.

"Oh no you don't Alec get back here," I saw Charlie dive and grab the mouse, which then squirmed into the form of a young man. He had really short possibly brown hair and couldn't stop laughing, "You're good Charlie, I forgot about your little gift."

He jumped out of Charlie's hold and started pointing his finger at me, "and who do you think you are? I saw that trick what was that?"

"I'm Thalessa, and it's none of your business how I did that you little... rodent." I was still hiding behind Theo but managed to move a rain cloud above his head. "Enjoy the storm," I smiled and moved closer to Theo when I heard the thunder cracking and the rain pattering against his clothes as he tried to run away.

The guys started laughing while he rain out the front door, I called back the cloud and had it dry off the carpets. "Who was that?"

"Alec Delouse, he's an interesting character, he's to shape shifter in the academy but the biggest moron here too."

I groaned, "It's seven in the morning already! What time do we have to wake up at?"

"School isn't until July, so you can wake up whenever the hell you want," Theo laughed and walked to his room, "night."

"Yeah see yeah, night Lachlan, night Charlie." I heard a couple grumbles from the other two guys and I walked back into my room again, this time checking my bed and under it for any animals. I shut the door, but left it unlocked just incase I needed a quick escape again.

I woke up at 12:30 and stretched in my bed. I watched the big mirror on the back of the door while I was stepping out of bed, "yeesh, I look good." I sat on the stool in front of the vanity and started brushing though my hair then braided it to the side and pushed a headband into it. I moved to the walk-in closet now and started flipping through dresses. It wasn't long until I finally landed on a dress with a black band and straps around the top and flowing floral designs underneath ending mid thigh. I chose a pair of hot pink pumps to wear with it incase I decided to go out shopping today or something.

I opened the door and saw an empty house. I smiled and started cooking myself some pancakes and poured myself some orange juice. I went back to my room to grab my iPod and the stereo and cranked some beats while I finished making breakfast.

I was singing and dancing along to a Beatles song, Come Together, when I heard coughing from the living room. Theo was lying on the couch, pillow and blanket beside him staring tiredly at me, "what are you doing?"

I turned off the stereo and blushed, "sorry I figured most people sleep in their beds. I thought I was home alone, do you want some pancakes?" I smiled and held the plate out in front of me, "I know you want them."

"Not unless they're filled with blood, now let me go back to sleep." He turned over and put the pillow over his head.

"Why can't you sleep in your room?"

"I wanted to make sure nobody else came in last night," he spoke into the pillow.

"Well I'll take over, you go to bed now, you look really tired." I laughed and went back to my rocking out while eating pancakes.

I could feel something behind me during breakfast but I ignored it and continued eating, when I finished I pushed my chair back and hit someone. I looked up to see Lachlan giving me a funny look, "you couldn't sense me behind you?"

"Yeah well I just ignored it; I didn't want to be disturbed during breakfast."

"What if I were someone trying to kill you?" He smoothly asked, like it was a normal occurrence.

"Doubt I'd be able to fight you off regardless," I shrugged and threw the dishes in the washing machine and returned my stereo to my room.

"You have to be careful here Thalessa, not everyone here wants to be your best friend. They teach both the good and the bad creatures here, you have to be on alert." He looked so alarmed.

"First, call me Tess, second, thanks Dad," I teased and grabbed my purse. "I'm going out, so I guess I'll talk to you later. I left my cell phone number on the fridge so yeah'll would have it," I started walking towards the door when he grabbed my hand. "Well hi there, that is indeed my hand, can I have it back please?"

He let go, but not before telling me, "just watch yourself, okay? For me please, I wouldn't want you to keel over before school even starts, that'd be a waste of a talent. Speaking of which, I want to work with you and your little talent tonight when you get back."

I thought to myself, what does a puppy know about this kind of thing?

He just laughed and said, "A puppy can be full of surprises."

"Oh you can not read my mind."

"On a good day, usually it's pretty easy. You're a little more difficult to work with though" he quoted me very sarcastically and dove onto the couch Theo was sleeping on, and then began to wrestle the poor guy.

I sent a breeze over to Lachlan, running through his hair and stopping. "Is that all you've got Tess, really? Try it again," he smirked and started moving towards me growling. I focused and a stronger wind took him and pushed him over gently, nothing impressive really. He added, "We'll work on it," while jumping on Theo again.

I shut the door behind me and started walking to the office to rent a car when a couple girls stopped me. One was quite unattractive, no offense, but really, she didn't fit in here, "who do you think you are?"

Not again, "Thalessa Livingston," I smiled and held out my hand to her, but she just slapped it away.

Her crooked teeth shone back at me, the scraggly bottle blonde hung just above her shoulders messily and her gross little hands pushed me backwards. There was another girl behind her smiling, jet black and slicked to her head, "are you two goddesses as well?"

The blonde cackled, "I'm the strongest here, goddess of indoor plants, I can make them grow however I want," she pointed a finger to the ivy beside me and brought the branches around my body. I touched my hand to it and instantly burned the plant, which released its grip on me.

"What the hell was that? You burned my plant you bitch, get back here." I stopped and turned around, crossing my arms. "I'm Ashley Thorley, you are nothing at this school, this is Nikki Collins, and she can change the state of water." I nodded and looked away.

"That means I can change water into ice you idiot," icky Nikki said stepping towards me and grabbing my arm.

"What can you do?" She smirked and spat in my face.

"Okay, I've had enough of this, I'm not trying to steal your thunder darling but here you can have your own," I threw a storm cloud over the two of them and the torrential rains finished with them looking like drowned rats, "shoot you girls look like you need to dry off." I pushed a gust of wind against them throwing their hair in all different directions, and I started giggling at the site.

"You girls look kind of cold too, here," I held out my hands that had fire spreading up into my arms and leaned in to give them a hug.

"Get away from us you freak!" They both started running down the hallway and I calmed everything out and ran my fingers through my hair looking around. There was a tall man in a suit standing in the office door, "well, well what do we have here? Excuse me but Ms. Livingston can you please come with me for a minute?"

I followed him into the Dean's office and sat in the leather chair in front of his desk, "now it says on your file you're a water goddess, but I can clearly see that was a wrong interpretation." He laughed and started typing into his computer, "water, fire, wind, I'll assume earth, the weather, anything I'm forgetting?"

"Humans." I shyly added and looked at my feet.

"Well I'd like to tell you I'm very impressed, you just arrived here and you've already discovered new forms of power. You're the strongest we've had since the opening of the school, no goddess has ever possessed this many gifts. Just please don't scare away the other girls, not all of them are maniacal. Here," he handed me a slip of paper, " Lesley Volaire, she's also new to the school, she can command amphibians." He chuckled and waved me out the door, "oh and Thalessa," he threw me a set of keys, "consider it a welcoming gift. Welcome to the Academy and enjoy your stay."

CHAPTER THREE

I stumbled out of the office and decided to locate this Lesley girl, room 423 on the fourth floor. I knocked on the door and waited for someone to open the door. I started tapping my pink toe on the wooden flooring, when a boy opened the door.

"Who are you?" He asked me incredibly rudely, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Thalessa Livingston, I'm looking for Lesley Volaire?"

"Lesley!" The music in the background cut out and a little blonde girl came running out to the living room in a black dress. "Hello?" She asked, looking up at me.

"Hi, I'm Thalessa, the dean recommended I come say hello, he wants me to make some girl friends. I kind of scared away Nikki and Ashley, they're afraid of power."

She started laughing, "thank God! The first day I got here the two of them confronted me and said they were the most powerful and I was nothing. They were both stronger than me, but I don't mind controlling amphibians." She smiled, and then frowned, "what can you do that they were making fun of you?"

"They weren't making fun of me for long, I have power over humans, the weather and the elements," she shrieked as I finished.

"Ah! That's awesome, so you actually scared them away?"

"Yeah, but I don't want everyone thinking I'm a big freak, so sh." I covered her mouth with my hand, "wanna go shopping?" I jingled the keys in front of her as she nodded.

"I'll get my purse!" She sang and ran to her room quickly, and returned with a large white and gold Guess purse.

"Oh, that's a cute purse," I ran my hand over it and she giggled.

"This is weird actually being around a girl, the guys are such pigs." She frowned and looked back into the house before slamming the door shut.

"I'm starting to understand that, they think they're really great huh?"

"Especially the gods, they're absolutely the worst. All of my roommates, Steve, Paul and Ramone are all gods, and for sure intolerable."

"Are there a lot of them?"

"No, just like ten or fifteen, of course I have to room with a third of them. Gross. Who are you rooming with?"

"Uh, Lachlan, Theo and Charlie they seem pretty nice so far, although they thought it'd be fun to wake me up at three." I rolled my eyes, and skipped the story about Alec. "So where do you want to go first?" I asked patiently driving past designer stores downtown here, "there's a Starbucks, do you want a coffee?"

"Okay." We spent an hour in the coffee shop talking about our lives before we were shipped off to the Academy, then we each bought about ten new dresses from various stores down the strip. It took fifteen minutes to get back to the school and by then I had held off a thunderstorm and a fog cloud. I released them when we finally were safe within the school and the thunder rumbled the entire building.

"Weird," I said looking out the door to see nothing except grey.

"I better get back to my room before they start worrying but I had fun today, text me when you wanna hang again, or you could come over sometime. Maybe we'll have a party?" Lesley started laughing and hopped into the elevator in front of her.

"I'm game."

I continued down the hall when an ivy branch grabbed me by the ankle and lifted me into the air. I stayed there with my arms crossed hanging in the air when I heard snickering from around the corner. Ashley emerged pleased with herself and said, "now who's stronger?"

I pointed to the ground in front of her and moved my finger in a zigzag pattern. The floor cracked before her opening up a hole, down to who knows where, she nearly stepped in it but paused right before. I fixed the floor and smiled, "sorry about that."

I grabbed the vine which instantly caught on fire and I landed in a soft bed of grass beneath me. Waving it all away I continued down the hallway, "I don't want to start something Ashley, so could you just leave me alone? Thanks."

She grumbled something and sent every plant's branch toward me; I brought my hands together creating a ball of flame in between them. I launched it at the plants, which were soon lying withered on the floor and began creeping back into their planters. "Give it up!" I yelled throwing my hands up in the air in frustration, I heard her cursing in the distance and I started to laugh.

Finally I arrived at the room, it took a while to grab the key while still trying to hold onto my dresses but I eventually managed and shoved the door open. "Oh honey, I'm home!" I shouted and giggled at the same time closing the door behind me. Walking to my room I had this eerie feeling, but shrugged it off and started hanging up the dresses in my closet.

"Lachlan? Charlie? Theo? Anyone?" I yelled from my room, still leafing through my closet when I heard a quiet sobbing from down the hallway. "Theo?" I walked to his room and knocked on the door, I could feel a human was in there, female, teenage, seventeen. I told her to open the door, well I guess I didn't actually tell her but since I wanted her to open it, she did.

"Who are you?" She whimpered.

"I'm Thalessa, darling what happened to you?"

"He found me hanging out in front of the school, I lost my dog Fido around here and I was trying to find him. Anyways I was trying to find him when this big blonde guy came up and offered me his help. The next thing I knew I was lying here in his bed, my clothing's all ripped and my hair's a mess." She was pretty, long, straight black hair, green eyes and a really nice tan.

"Come here, I don't bite," I laughed as I looked to her neck to check for bite marks, nothing, okay thank God. I grabbed her, but she flinched and I looked to see a long cut. He had some of her blood as a snack, how lovely.

"First we'll clean that up, then you can have your choice of pretty much anything in my closet," her Abercrombie tee was ripped above her stomach and the yellow tank top had spots of blood on it. Her jeans were ripped too, but I couldn't tell if it was the style or if she actually had been fighting him. Overall she was a little Hollister girl, so clearly my wardrobe would be sufficient for her, she had money back home wherever that was.

"I can't take something of yours," she said, shaking her head and trying to pull her clothes together.

"Trust me, it won't hurt my wallet any," I laughed as I washed off her arm and wrapped some tape and gauze around it. "There now let's take a little trip down the hallway."

"I really don't think I can-" she froze as I opened my closet, I think everything started glowing and her eyes glazed over.

"Are you suuuuure you don't want something from in here?" I smiled and waved my hand past the switch turning on the light.

She pulled out a black and white high waisted dress and walked to the washroom to change into it, "how big are your feet?" I yelled from my room.

"Seven," she shouted back.

"Beauty," I whispered, I'm not sure why I was befriending this human, but she was pretty cool. I showed her the white Gucci pumps and she nearly cried. I finished her look by running a brush through her hair and letting her into my makeup drawer.

We sat on the couch, watching a Tila Tequila marathon and talked about pretty much everything. We were actually the same person, from favorite bands and singers to the little pet peeves. I gave her my cell phone number and she added it into her phone, texting me and giving me hers.

I heard the key in the door and I told her to run to my room, I'd deal with Theo. She went as quickly as she could and locked the door just as the guys were walking into the room. "Welcome back gentlemen, now Theo..." he looked at me and then started walking to his room. "Where is she?"

"So you can do what with her? Cut her open again and drink her blood? I will not let you near her! We're friends now, if you want her you can try getting past me."

"You're not that powerful yet, give me her," his eyes turned black and he moved towards me.

"On command I'm not, but if I'm in danger my body reacts. You should go ask Ashley, she tried to fight me earlier. I think she's off crying somewhere."

He grabbed my neck in his hand and I heard Lachlan running towards him but Theo just threw his other hand and something hit the ground. I took his wrist in my hand and released a surge of heat, he quickly dropped me and I dusted off my dress.

"What the hell?" he screamed and dove at me again, I pushed my hand outward and a strong wind threw him against the wall. He fell to the ground and I pulled grass from underneath the flooring and had it bind him to the floor.

"I don't want to hurt you, this can hold for a while pal, so when you calm down just let me know. If you plan on fighting so much against my little lovelies then I can call a thunderstorm to subdue you for the time being."

"He's just a little touchy because you took his blood bank," Charlie explained looking down on Theo's wiggling body.

"Charlie get these fucking things off me, I'll kill you, I swear I will." He was still screaming so I bent down and drew my finger across his lips, and a thick piece of grass followed covering his mouth.

I turned around to see Lachlan still lying on the ground, "Lachlan?" I poked his back and had no response, "Charlie, is he okay?"

"He can't really fight that well, his little crush on you got him in a bit of trouble right there but he'll be fine in a bit." Charlie shrugged and sat down beside Theo, making faces and drawing on his face with markers.

"Really mature pal," I laughed and lifted Lachlan up, leaning him against my side. I managed to pull him onto the couch and brought a cloud over his head, drizzling light rain onto him. He didn't move so I switched to a sudden downpour and he jumped off of the seat and landed on top of me on the ground.

"Oh hey," I weakly laughed and tried getting up, "you're actually on top of me."

"You're alive?" He seemed so surprised.

"Uh yeah? Like that kitten could kill little old me," I pointed to Theo who was now accepting his fate and now glaring at Charlie.

"Well the last person that touched his dinner was in critical condition and had to switch schools," he looked at Theo now too, "you don't want to mess with the god of vamps."

"Wait," I walked towards him, "Theo you're a Vamp god?" He managed to nod his head and I smiled, "that's bad ass. I'd let you go but you'd kill my new friend, speaking of which," I ran down the hallway and knocked on the door.

"You can open the door now, it's Thalessa, and I've subdued the beast."

She slowly opened the door and poked her head out, "where is he?" I nodded down the hallway and she pulled the door open the entire way revealing a covered Theo.

"Also, I never caught your name," I asked.

"Laeya Norwood," she smiled. I helped her up and into the living room to meet everyone else.

"This is Lachlan, Charlie and you already know Theo," she squealed and ran behind me when his eyes locked onto hers. "He's harmless right now Laeya, I've got him pretty much worked over." I saw a knife in the corner of my eye as it slowly slid its way to Theo. I blew it away with my finger and tut tutted him, "does being a Vampire god mean you can control things with your mind?" He nodded, "why do you want to kill her so badly? Go suck a blood bag."

He tried to say something but the vegetation stifled it, "sorry let me get that." I started to wave my hand and paused half way, "do you understand what I'll do to you if you hurt her? She's the second girl friend I've ever had and I won't let you bite her." He nodded and I finished waving and everything went back to normal and he was just lying on the carpeted floor.

"Blood bags aren't warm or fresh," he said, licking his lips.

"Nuke it; I don't care what you do as long as you don't bite people. Just because you're a high and mighty vampire god, doesn't mean you can take the lives of innocent people. Can't you grow some balls and maybe control yourself or something?"

"I can try? She just looked so good, and I was so hungry," he turned to her and she flinched, "I'm sorry. I see Thalessa here has taken good care of you though."

She turned to me and whispered, "I think I should go."

"Well do you live far away?"

"Thirty minute walk, just across town."

"Hey Lachlan, are you up for a road trip?" I winked and nearly before I had finished saying it he had made his way over the room and was standing in front of me. "I'll take that as a yes, I've got the keys let's go." I bounced to my room and grabbed my purse, running my fingers through my hair I also checked the mirror. I've got to look presentable while out on the town with someone as fine as Lachlan.

"How do you have car keys?" Charlie asked me when he saw the key chain hanging from my fingers.

"The Dean let me have them? He said it was a welcoming gift, I didn't argue and any of yeah'll can use it too... just don't tell the Dean."

"Can we go?" I heard Laeya mumbling from the front door, with Theo still closely watching.

I laughed, "no problem come on Lachlan let's roll." I shut the door behind me and walked between the two people. It only took about ten minutes to take her home, so I was planning on taking Lachlan out to a movie. We arrived at her house on time, and when I say house I mean castle, it was enormous, elegant and something I've only seen in movies.

"You actually live here?" I asked astonished.

"Yeah, dad's CEO of some stupid company and mom is a lawyer for the higher ups. It's nice eh?" She smiled and jumped out of the car, "I'll text you Tess, thanks again! I don't know how I can ever repay you."

We were pulling out when Lachlan grabbed my arm, "want to go-"

"See a movie?" I finished excitedly.

"Well no I was going to say go to McDonald's but I'll accept a movie on you." He smiled and started typing in his phone, "I'll tell the guys we'll be home later."

"Much later," I added with a wink and he sat there open mouthed, "I'm kidding calm down. Ha you're a gullible little fellow."

"I am not a little fellow! I am actually taller, older and clearly smarter than you, so you are the little one Miss Thang." He said snapping his fingers at me. I burst out laughing and could barely focus on the road ahead of me swerving to barely miss a rabbit.

"Manic." He muttered.

"So where's the closest theatre anyways?"

"Turn left, and then right and you're basically there."

We got to the theatre and bought tickets for the three o'clock show, it was about 2:55 now, so we were running around grabbing popcorn and cokes. Finally we got into the theatre to find it was still on the trailers and advertisements, I groaned and reluctantly sat down. "Great, we run around spilling popcorn wasting about two bucks to sit here during the damn previews. This is stupid." I took a handful of popcorn and shoved it into my mouth angrily.

The movie started after about thirty minutes of mindless flashes of movie trailers and I nearly clapped when Lachlan grabbed my hands.

"Oh no you don't," he held them there and looked me in the eyes, "don't embarrass me like this." He threatened and went back to watching the movie, a horror flick of course. It was about two weeks after it had started so there were only a few other couples in the theatre, adding to the usual horrifying experience.

"So this is my hand and I'd like it back thanks," I pulled it away and I saw him frowning. "Thanks," who did he think he was- my boyfriend or something? Suddenly a giant man with a knife jumped from underneath the floorboards and drove it through the blonde girls back.

"Oh my god! Where the hell did he come from?" Lachlan screamed at the top of his lungs and threw his arms around his face.

I mumbled, "talk about embarrassing," and started to quietly laugh. I heard a few people yelling at the two of us to shut up, apparently some of them were trying to watch the movie.

"Well to be honest he came out of nowhere, and really it's the normal thing to do when that sort of thing happens. I mean honestly you can't tell me you weren't scared."

I leaned in close to his ear and he started to tense, smiling I whispered, "you're a werewolf should you really be afraid of things like this?" I slowly sat back in my chair and crossed my arms, looking back up at the screen I tried to re-focus on the gore.

I could feel something brush my shoulder and I looked behind me to see Lachlan's arm reaching around. "Smooth," I laughed and nestled into it.

"You're not going to push it away?" He asked surprised I hadn't already broken his arm off I guess.

"Nah, I'm comfortable right here. Now be quiet I'm trying to watch the movie if you don't mind." He jumped a few more times through the movie and I couldn't help but laughing each of these times.

"I think the movie ended on a mediocre note, it wasn't bad it was just one of those average, inexpensive slasher flicks with absolutely no plot line. The graphics and killer were well developed though, he freaked me out... but you know a little more about that don't you!" I started laughing on our way to the car.

He growled and grabbed me by the waist pulling me back to the car as quickly as I think he could. He was running faster than I've ever seen anybody move, he was so damn fast I was in shock, "uh, Lachlan what's wrong?"

This time he grunted in response and pushed me into the passenger's seat buckling my belt and taking the keys. He sat in the front seat and started driving out into the countryside. "Where are we going?" He stopped in the middle of the forest and jumped out his door.

"Come on, follow me," I looked around to find him at my door already, his shirt in hand and reaching for mine. Hand that is. He brought me to a lake, and set me down on the edge of the water, "how brave are you?"

"Well I like to think I'm pretty brave, but it's usually because I'm just not smart enough to say no to something." I said grinning.

"We'll see what you think of this. I used to come out here to think, that was until something came out of the water." I quickly moved away from the edge and he smiled.

"What are you doing?" I asked as he pulled off his shoes and socks and started undoing his jeans.

"Going for a swim," he said in his black boxers, stepping into the water. I jumped up and pulled him back, "no! Don't do it! Please? I'm sorry for laughing at you!"

He started laughing and brought his arms around me, "wanna join me?" Lachlan winked, and dove into the water with me in his grasp.

I swam to the surface and took a loud breath of air, "you ass! Why would you pull me in too?" I searched the surface but I couldn't find him anywhere, until he surfaced sputtering water and waving his arms.

"Tess! Help me! It's got my-" the water entered his mouth and he disappeared under the surface again.

"Shit! Lachlan!" I screamed diving under the surface, I controlled the visibility of the water and forced it to a crystal blue but I couldn't find him. Just a cave hidden in the deep corner, of course he would somehow have made his way in there. I swam quickly and found it odd there were no other creatures in the lake; did this monster eat them all?

I came into the cave and found him sprawled across a ledge high up in the tunnel. "Lachlan? Can you hear me?" I caved the ledge so there was a hill leading up to it that I could climb.

I smacked his cheek, "wake up Lachlan!" I moved my head down close to his face, and pressed my forehead against his. His eyes opened, "now who's scared?"

"You- you made it all up?" I cried, pushing off of him and jumping back in the water. I could feel him in the water behind me and I was so angry, I couldn't help by twirling my finger and creating small whirlpools in the water in his path. Landing on the beach I started ringing out my dress and my hair, then marched off to the car.

"Big idiot, I can't believe he would do that. I thought he was dead...." I'm not sure why, but right there I started to cry. And when I say cry I mean wailing away and tripped on an open root while I was blinded by the stinging tears. I couldn't get up, and I didn't want to get up.

I used all of my strength trying to swim after him as fast as I did and my legs gave up. I could hear footsteps moving towards me and I rolled over, into a bush and hid from him. Calling the rain, everything started to blur, it was warm but it covered any kind of scent he may be able to get with his dog nose. I'm not sure why I was so upset with him, just seeing him like that made something inside me snap.

"Tess! Tess? Where are you? I'm so sorry."

Go away, I screamed in my head and I heard him stop and look up into the rain. He fell to his hands and knees and his body became engulfed in hair and fuzz. I covered my mouth not to make a noise, which was hard considering he was a Rottweiler sized, black and white wolf.

Lachlan howled into the rain and put his nose to the ground. I tried to crawl away because I knew his next step was tracing my path to the bush, but I cut my leg open on a branch and let out a faint whimper. His head turned and he bolted to my side, grabbing me by the collar with his teeth and pulling me from the bush.

I looked down at my leg and there was a cut from my ankle halfway up my shin. Blood was everywhere and I could tell even the puppy was scared. I wrapped my arms around him and gave him a tight hug, "hello little puppy, you're all wet. You should go inside somewhere and dry off- you're going to get sick." I smiled and started to fall asleep.

The dog howled and ran away; Lachlan came running back with just his pair of jeans on. "Come on baby, let's go get you warmed up in that nice warm car." He picked me up while I tried to fight him off, "why are you so mad that I faked it? Why do you even care?"

"I don't," I grunted and fell asleep in his arms.

I woke up in my bed with two aspirin on the nightstand beside me and a glass of ice water. There was also a note that read, "just incase I was right."

I yelled out to whoever was listening, "I'm not sick, grow up." I heard someone laughing beside me and I turned to see Alec lying next to me in bed. "Wh-" He covered my mouth and smiled.

"They're all out; someone sent them an invitation to a party on the top floor. Now who may have done that?" I ripped his hand from my mouth and started shouting.

"Who do you think you are walking into my room, or crawling, or slithering or god knows how else you can travel? I don't even know what to say about the fact that you are lying next to me in my bed," I lifted the covers and threw them back in. "In a pair of khaki shorts, just a pair of shorts. I'm in the little dress I was wearing yesterday covered in mud and grass stains. Get out."

"Can't we just talk?" He asked so innocently, I couldn't say no. His light brown hair fell over his faded blue eyes, and I melted a little bit inside, he was a handsome son of a something rather.

"About what?" I coyly smiled and pulled the covers over to my side.

"Why are you so powerful?"

"Why can you change your appearance?"

"Touche." He smiled and yanked the covers around him, rolling in it and lying there, "where did you live before this?"

"This little town in Colorado, Ted and Joan were living there when they found me. The town's called-"

Something stopped my sentence. A dark haired boy dressed in black pants, a white button up shirt and a blue tie, was staring at me. I was frozen in place, grabbing at the blanket on Alec, in my little dress and he was in just shorts smiling. We were both lying in my bed, with sheets strewn everywhere with huge smiles. "Really Tess? You let this creep into your bed?" He grabbed Alec and threw him against the wall.

I trapped him in a gust of wind and brought him to the bed again, gently lying him down and jumped onto my feet. "I woke up this morning and he was lying there okay? So don't think I'm some big whore, who calls boys just to sleep in her bed, no, you should at least think you know me better. We started talking honestly ten minutes ago, so just calm down." I was yelling and Alec was still smiling.

"Do you want to come to bed with us to? Or do you want to give us some privacy, I wasn't actually finished yet." Alec irked poor Lachlan for the final time and he lunged for the throat. I ignored the stupid boys and grabbed some pajamas from my drawer heading to Lachlan's room.

I opened the door and locked it stepping into a pair of chick boxers and a white tank top. I tripped putting on the shorts and fell onto the super soft bed. I looked around and his room, really boring, brown and beige walls, soft black, chenille blankets and a giant dresser.

"Lovely," I said still listening to things hitting walls and floors over in my room. I started to fall asleep again; hopefully nothing was going to disturb my sleep this time.

Waking up I threw a hand against the spot on the bed next to me, meeting just the mattress. Good no intruders this morning, I sat up to seeing Lachlan sitting in the chair beside me hunched over, sleeping I assumed. I quietly got up and snuck back to my room without waking him up, going straight for the closet pulling out a pair of light jeans, a navy Hollister tee and yellow tank top- I also grabbed a towel to wear to the bathroom

I started pulling off the straps from my crusty dress when I heard something coming from the fish tank. There was a little gold fish just looking out the side of the glass, instantly I knew it was Alec. "Creep," I said and started walking out the door. I needed a shower anyways, so I used it as an excuse to change in the bathroom. I took the shampoo and made a line behind the door incase Alec decided to visit me in the shower, even if it didn't stop him I'd be able to see the tracks.

Forget it all! I yelled inside my head and started running my fingers through my conditioner covered hair. I moved my hands and the water followed creating a spiral around me. Throwing on a towel before drawing the curtain I could hear panting from outside the door, followed by a scratching at the door. I shook my hair so it wasn't dripping with water and opened the door a crack still standing in a towel.

"What could you possibly want?" I asked the stunned Lachlan.

"D-d-do you want to g-go to the cl-uh-b with uh-sss...?" he trailed off overlooking me up and down.

"Why don't you take a picture it'll last longer," I sneered and tightened my grip on the towel. He started to reach into his pocket for his phone, smiling and I grabbed it. "It's called a joke," I could feel the towel slipping and readjusted gaining his attention again, "I'd love to, I'll just have to switch what I'm going to wear."

He followed as I took the clothes from the toilet seat and walked to my room, like a puppy. "You know you're really playing up the part aren't you?"

"Huh?"

"Of the loyal dog, following me, it's called privacy and I'd like some."

He rolled his eyes, "I guess that's understandable let me just check for Alec." He searched my room and reached the fish tank finding a fish hiding underneath one of the little plastic castles. Pulling the blanket off of the bed he taped it over the fish tank and walked out, "you're good."

CHAPTER FOUR

I locked the door and started getting dressed, black strapless mini dress, simple yet adorable. I threw on some yellow heels and finished getting ready, straightening out my long brown hair and applying some make up. Removing the blanket from the fish tank I smiled at the fish, "would you like to come?"

The fish dove out of the tank and changed into Alec, dripping wet on my floor. I threw my towel at him and watched him dry off, "like the show?" He asked smugly.

"Don't flatter yourself, you don't have to come," I waved walking out the door with my purse in hand. "Let's go guys, how are we going to get past security though?"

"Well we were actually hoping you would help us with that, can't you control them?" Charlie laughed nervously in an orange button up and white pants, not tacky at all.

"I guess, let's go," I called them over and started walking out the door when Lesley came running down the hallway in bright purple heels, electric blue tights and a neon green dress.

"What kind of club is this?" I asked noting her unusual attire.

"It's tight and bright night... duh... oh don't tell me they didn't tell you! You guys are animals!" She pulled me back inside and then opened my closet up throwing a hot pink dress, a pair of yellow full length tights and orange shoes. "Put it on and let's go!" she yelled and slammed the door shut.

I quickly threw on the clothes and stepped out the door to be grabbed and yanked back in. "What the h-" a familiar hand covered my mouth and kicked the door closed. Alec held me in his arms and whispered into my ear, "am I still invited?" I turned around to see him wearing a pair of my green tights, a pair of spandex shorts and a construction tee.

"Come on let's go," I grabbed his hand and brought him to the hallway with me. Lachlan growled when he noticed I was still holding onto his hand and I laughed, "calm down darlin', you're still my favorite little puppy dog." I let go of Alec and started scratching his chin.

I heard something behind me and Alec had taken the form of the most adorable little golden lab puppy dog, "Awh! Look at the little thing! He's so cute!" I picked him up and started rubbing his little cute pot belly, hearing a cough behind me. Lachlan was frowning with his arms crossed, looking through furrowed eyebrows at me and the puppy.

"I thought we were going clubbing?" Theo asked, dressed in a silly 80's work out outfit and that was it.

"Okay, let's go." I said still holding the puppy but had Lachlan's arm held over my shoulders. We all sat in the car and I sat the puppy in Lachlan's lap, and thank god Alec was that small because I only had room for four people plus myself.

We arrived at the club in style, and I grabbed Alec from Lachlan's grip. I walked over to the bouncer, trying for a sultry and sexy look, maybe to tempt him into letting us in.

"No dogs allowed," he announced, "and you have to be 21 to get into the club. Let me see your IDs please," he held out his hand and frowned.

"We're 21 you can trust me," I smiled.

"You're 21? I guess I can trust someone as honest looking as you."

"Can my dog come with me? The poor little guy broke his leg," I cuddled Alec and he whined on cue.

"He sure can, this way miss," he motioned for the door and waved us in.

The first stop I made was to the washroom and when I got there Alec turned back into his 80-licious self. He was just sitting there in my arms, smiling up at me, "we are in the washroom already, alone, let's head into that stall over there and" I dropped him then and walked out of the bathroom.

It was pretty grimy in there, sweat and hormonal adults were moving around in the middle of it all. I danced into it trying to find Lesley who was dancing her heart out between Theo and Charlie, "Tess! I thought I'd lost you in the crowd! Isn't this place great?" She pulled away from the two guys and led me to the bar, "two kamikazes please." She yelled above the music, and I had to elbow her in the side.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"Thing about us is, we can't get drunk. It's fun to watch what people think when we've got about fifty shot glasses in front of us," she started laughing and took the glasses.

"So what happens to it then?" I asked curiously.

"The gods and goddesses metabolize everything really quickly, that's why we've got these bangin' bods," she said swerving her hips around, "now drink up!" We both took the shots and laughed grabbing another one instantly. Although we were changing our type of drink shots seemed to be the most popular method of downing alcohol. Twenty down each we were still holding intelligent conversations with the bartender who was extremely astounded at our ability to hold the booze.

Men were coming past, buying us drinks, in an effort to get us hammered but that wasn't going to happen. After getting about thirteen numbers I pulled Lesley back to the floor and started dancing with all sorts of men. Slowly we were making it to our group of guys in the middle who had women lined up to the door to dance, "get out of my way ho," I smiled pushed a couple desperate women out of the way.

"Move it or lose it skanks!" I heard Lesley behind me dropping girls to the ground, I thought she wags so innocent when I first looked at her yesterday and look at her today. She was a monster; I laughed to myself and continued in my hunt for Lachlan and the rest of the guys.

"Come on baby, you wanna dance?"

"Creep," I pushed behind me and turned around to find Lachlan laughing.

"Well sorry, I'll just ask someone else then," he turned around and grabbed a girl by the shoulder and pulled him into her.

"Fine, if you're that ready to dance with some chick I'll go find Alec," I knew this would make him angry, so I smiled and started to walk further into the middle of the dance floor. I could feel him followed so I turned to a guy on my left and started grinding up against him. Lachlan smiled and grabbed my hand, pulling me to him, "sorry about my girlfriend mate she's a little loopy from the alcohol."

"Stop flattering yourself, I'm not your girlfriend, I don't even know you," I tried my best to act scared and hold onto the mystery man.

"Tessa baby, don't do this again," he held out a shaky hand.

"My name isn't Tess, so sorry but I'm not sure who you're talking about..." I backed up into the guy and his arms reached around me. "So if you don't mind I'll just get back to what I was doing," but before I could turn around Lachlan was snarling and his arms were tugging at me from the arms of the stranger. I looked up to see Alec smiling, white Nike headband over his messy hair and still wearing his interesting get up.

"Are you sure you don't want to dance with me?" I smiled and started laughing.

"I don't think I could ever want to dance with you when you look like that, I'm not sure in what decade you'll find a girl that would actually be attracted to," I looked him up and down, "that." I said disgusted and grabbed Lachlan's hand. "Now, here's a real man," I started laughing and left them both to go back into the middle with Theo, Charlie and Lesley.

I came up behind Theo and teasingly started to hardcore, absolutely dirty grind against him, but he loved every minute of it. The only reason I could tell he wasn't kidding was because the big vampire turns around instantly to grab onto my waist and continue the dance. I tried to pull away but clearly was not as strong as him; he actually thought I was trying to intensify the moment I guess because he started kissing my neck.

"Get off," I started pushing again but his teeth started grazing my throat and I froze, I'm going to die, I'm going to die...

I closed my eyes when I felt him tense up and press his teeth harder against my neck. Suddenly it was released, I looked up to see Lachlan's arms around me tightly and in Alec's arms was Theo. He was panting and people around us were still going at it like animals, the same as a few minutes before.

I hugged him and pressed my head against his chest, "thanks, what would have happened if he'd bit me?"

"It sucks," he tried not to laugh, so I punched him in the shoulder.

"Not funny jerk!" I stepped back and frowned at him.

"Guys it's two, I think we should head back to the Academy soon," Charlie shouted from somewhere between sweaty people.

"Let's go then, I think Theo needs a quarantine or something right about now," I said and grabbed Lachlan and Lesley. I reached the car and nearly fell asleep waiting for Alec, Theo and Charlie to reach us. Before Alec stepped into the car I asked him, "Do you mind turning into something smaller again? Legally we can't fit you as a person.

"Why can't you ask your stupid dog friend?"

"Well because first off, he turns into a wolf, which might get peculiar if we hit a ride program. Second, you're a much cuter puppy than you are a person." He changed quickly and jumped into my lap snuggling into it, and falling asleep. "Awh you're such a cutie," I said petting his head, driving quickly out of the parking lot.

I hit my bed wiped and still in my tight and bright clothing. My eyes closed quickly, without realizing there was still a little puppy dog lying next to me.

The next morning I woke up, uncomfortable in the spandex and nylon, opening my eyes to Alec fast asleep on the pillow beside me. Oh god, did I do anything last night? I remember drinking a lot, and nearly getting bitten, going to bed with a puppy dog... and nope nothing. Good. He looked so adorable asleep. His short but shaggy hair covered his bright blue eyes, his lightly toned chest slowly rose and fell in a peaceful rhythmic pattern and my eyes grew heavy just watching it.

I could tell he was having a rough sleep so I reached over to brush his hair back from his eyes when a hand caught me, "what did you do?" Lachlan asked harshly but still quiet enough not to wake Alec.

"Nothing, I woke up like this, we didn't do anything Lachlan stop being such a girl," he pulled me out of the bed and carried me out to the hallway. "Let's walk and talk Thalessa, you need to know something."

"Alright let me change first please?" I snuck into my room and quickly threw on some jeans and a hoodie then followed him out to the garden with my hood up. The fog was still thick around the area, and it was certainly one of those thick, creepy fogs that have little gremlins lurking... everywhere.

"You have really weird thoughts, did you know that?"

"Oh, I forgot you can read minds."

"Well kind of, I just get the basic gist of what a person's thinking, not like word for word or anything. But I got a picture of gremlins hiding behind trees, I'm sorry but are you mentally stable?"

I started laughing, "of course!"

"Then what are you doing with Alec?" He asked sternly.

"I should've known, what do you have against him? He hasn't done anything wrong to me so give me a good reason not to talk to him, if you haven't realized he's the one sneaking into my room."

"Well you haven't been fighting him off!" He grabbed my shoulders and we stopped in front of a rose bush, "he's no good for you Tess, why can't you see that."

"What's wrong with him?"

"He's one of those dirty shape shifters, they're all evil. They think they're so much better than everyone because they can become anything," stared off behind me.

"I've been hearing that about everyone, vamps, god, now shape shifters, why can't everyone just get along? It's not like we're all that different... we live forever, we look the same on the outside, generally we also have the same morals inside too," I smiled and pointed to his heart.

"We can't all be friends and hold hands Thalessa, there have been wars for centuries between the races. One person can't change that," he said still looking away.

"Wanna bet?" I teased and thought about it seriously for a moment, "is there another world out there?"

"Yeah, it's where we go after school. It's not like we can actually live here, why do you think it's been so foggy out here? They're closing us off for the semester, once you finish your last year you're sent away..." he looked at me, "Theo, Charlie and I are all second year right now, you'll have one more year after us. Alone."

"I won't be alone, Lesley is first year, and who knows what kind of younger men I can seduce in my last year?" I winked and rustled my hair.

He rolled his eyes and took my hands, "so why do you ask about this other world?"

"Well I was told my parents were spirits there, and they sent me here for a normal life."

"Thalessa... what's your last name?"

"I'm not sure what theirs is, mine's Livingston but that's the same as my step parents."

"Well, ask the Dean next time you see him what your parents names were, I'm curious now."

"Why?"

"No reason," he brought me back to the school, "let's go back and get organized... class starts tomorrow, did you know that? Scary huh?"

I shuddered and wondered what my classes would be like, "are the classes difficult?"

"Well even if you fail," he opened the door to our room and gestured me inside, "they can't kick you out. It's basically just to learn how to control yourself and your powers."

"I failed Mental Toughness my first year," I heard Theo yelling from on the couch.

"Well that's a shocker... you seemed pretty capable when your teeth were about to stab through my neck last night." I glared at him and stalked off to my room slamming the door shut.

"Good job idiot, now she's going to be in there all day. You just can't keep your fangs to yourself can you?" I heard Charlie yelling at Theo, and then something thudded against the floor.

"Hey! There's no reason to get physical with me, it's her own fault for being so tantalizing," I could hear the drool against the floor he was so taken aback from the thought of my... ugh blood.

I threw a pillow against the door, "shut the hell up I can hear you drooling from in here!" I pulled another pillow over my head and closed my eyes, humming some Michael Jackson song stuck in my mind.

Behind me I heard knocking, "go away."

"Why are girls so moody?"

"Shut up, jerk," I walked over to the door and leaned against it to listen better.

"Well you seem to be in such a good mood, then lose it all in like two seconds. Come on; is it possible to PMS everyday of a month? Instead of just a week like regular chicks?"

I threw open the door, "well ex-ca-uuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me for being upset you tried to bite me!"

Theo grabbed my arm and pushed me onto my bed, "okay I'm not that uncontrolled," he crawled overtop of me. "I can prove it."

"H-how are you planning on doing that?" I started shaking under his hands, "h-h-help?" I heard Charlie and Lachlan running to my door when Theo threw a hand and the door shut itself.

"Theo, let her go!" Lachlan was yelling, "Charlie, go get Alec he can get into that room with this door shut."

"Look at me," Theo said sternly and I brought my attention back to him.

"What are you going to do?" I quietly asked again.

He smiled, pulling the hair away from my neck and brought his mouth down to it. I felt his lips lightly brush against it, his teeth grazed it and he started to kiss my neck. "I can control my self, when you can."

"What do you mean by that?"

"When you get into it, so do I. It could get pretty bad if I got carried away," his finger traced from below my ear and moved down the side of my body. I took his face into my hands, "maybe you'll have to work on that."

His lips took mine furiously and I couldn't help but kiss him back, he looked so good and his smell... so tantalizing. My hands slid down his back, and I held him closer. "How are you feeling now, wanna bite me yet?" I whispered into his ear, brushing my lips against it.

His mouth came to my neck again lightly biting at it, when suddenly he went flying against the wall. "What the hell was that?" I sat up searching the room and found a crouched over Alec sitting on the ground, "oh it's you."

I got up and helped him back to his feet when he flung himself across me and at Alec's throat, "what's wrong with you?"

"Break it up guys," I threw wind at both of them and they slammed against the wall hard. "I'm getting a headache. So I'm going to go out for lunch. I'm walking, by myself. Bye." I grabbed my purse and speed walked out the front door not looking back at the hormonal adolescent teenagers scrapping in my room.

I was walking out of the school doors when I heard the Dean yelling behind me, "hello?"

CHAPTER FIVE

"Could I speak with you please?" He brought me into his office and closed the door gently, "as you already know this isn't a normal school. We get you ready for the other world if you will, the place you'll go after you're finished here. Well most of you at least, some will remain up here and recruit more students. At this school we let you choose which side you're going to pursue, light or dark. Usually we have more on the good side, but there are always those who would rather take an easier route to power."

"I'll be pursuing the good side," I smiled.

"I expected you to; now, normally students spend four years here and then are marked in their final year. You'll get a mark that looks like a sun, kind of, a tattoo if you will. The color varies on the individual, when I grab your wrist it'll take on a color that you show and the symbol you choose. Unfortunately there's a war erupting in the south, way out back in Australia. The leader of us is currently hiding out in Greece somewhere, and she's believed to be married to the leader of the dark side."

"Are you serious? So who's the war between then?"

"There are members of the good side that have turned, and want to corrupt more light people to become dark. It's difficult still to understand why, but we seem to think they're trying to bring someone from the other world into power here over the humans. We don't know who yet," he finished taking a sip of coffee.

"So why are you talking to me about this?"

"You're the most powerful here, and you have a way with humans. You can make them understand there's nothing going on, you're going to be our PR person, and you'll be on the front lines when we're in battle. You're our secret weapon Thalessa; no one's as strong as you are."

"Well I'm flattered, but there's no way I could-"

"You'll be receiving a new schedule, all fourth year courses. We can't afford to waste any more time, the war will be happening soon and we'll need you ready for battle. Here you go,"

I took the piece of paper reading it over carefully, "Hand to hand combat, controlling your power, public speaking and as many mental toughness lessons I can get into?"

"Yes, we'll need you prepared. This is going to be a different kind of war than you're used to; they'll be going strictly after the girl, so you're going to have one final job."

"What is it...?" I moved forward in my seat.

"Bodyguard," he laughed.

"Really? I can't fight a wolf, let alone an army! Are you kidding?" I was nearly yelling.

"You'll have help; you can pick two other people to help you. You're being shipped off to Greece during Christmas break with your two choices. Choose two strong people who can fight for you, since you'll have some difficulties so soon."

"Well I want to bring all of my roommates plus Alec Delouse," I stated.

"You can only bring two for now, the rest will come with time, they've got a couple years yet of learning. If a war breaks out then they'll come right away and join you. Is that okay?"

"Yeah, sure," Oh god they're going to fight over this.

"So you're going to need to know soon..."

"Okay, I'll tell you..." I started.

"Tomorrow," he finished.

"I have to decide then? Why?"

"They're going to have to train with you and live with you; they're going to be your security."

"Okay, so I have until December right?" I said hopeful.

"We'll see how this all goes, it could be earlier. You're going to have to be ready at a moments notice to leave, I trust you can pack lightly?" He laughed when I pursed my lips together, "you're the one who brought six suitcases..." He dug into his pocket and pulled out a credit card.

"I already have on-"

"This is the schools; you have to buy new clothing. A security guard won't look very intimidating in silky dresses now will she?" He said, cutting me off again.

"But what about my other clothes?"

"We'll have them shipped to your house in Greece as soon as we know when you're leaving, now go shopping already. Tomorrow is when school begins, and you'll need to get used to the new clothing."

"What should I get?"

"You have to look tough for your job, well not like a boy or anything, uh..." he paused, "Buffy the vampire slayer meets Vogue."

I smiled, "thanks Dean Matthews," and started running to the car in the parking lot. I arrived downtown quickly and was spending hundreds of dollars here and there. The new Thalessa was going to be bad ass.

I bought a bunch of sunglasses from Dolce, black and for sure intimidating. Instead of dresses I was now buying tons of dark wash straight leg and skinny jeans, also since Greece is a pretty warm place I bought some dark wash short shorts. Shirt wise I invested in a lot of tight black tees and white tank tops, also I bought a few bangin' leather jackets. Basically everything I got would look good with the heels back in the dorm, but I did buy some knee length and ankle boots for when I was kicking ass.

I arrived back at the school around midnight, quietly pushing open the door to our room not to wake the precious sleeping boys. Alec came running to the door, "where were you young lady? We called you numerous times to come home, but you didn't answer your phone once." His arms were crossed, and he looked an awful lot like Ted right now.

"Sorry, the Dean had to talk to me and then he sent me out shopping, I must've forgotten my phone this morning when I left after the little incident," I glared over at Theo on the couch who looked to the floor.

"Talked to you about what?"

"School related things," I mumbled.

"Really? Because he never talks to students, what is it?" he took the bags from me and set them down pulling a leather coat from one. "Why are you wearing leather?" He started laughing and I grabbed it from his hands.

"A war's about to break out and they're shipping me off to Greece sometime between now and December. I'm in all fourth year classes now," I shoved my schedule into his chest, "and I have to choose two of you to be my 'security guards'." I air quoted.

"Between who?"

"Apparently some light people who have shifted over to the dark side are trying to bring someone from the Otherworld into power here in human land. I'm good with humans, so I'm going to be able to manipulate them into thinking nothing's wrong. I'm also strong," I rolled my eyes, "so I'll be the main light person's personal bodyguard."

They started laughing, "you're going to protect someone?" Charlie asked through tears.

"You're not funny," I crossed my arms and frowned, "I told him I can't fight anything but he seems to believe I'm the right person for the job. I'd like to remind you that two of you are coming with me, so any volunteers?"

They all raised their hands at the same time, "oh geez." I walked to my room and before closing the door yelled, "I'll let yeah'll know who I pick in the morning. Goodnight!"

I slammed it, grabbed my laptop and started making a list of why I should bring each person. Alec was number one, he could change his figure which could be extremely useful and he was really strong so I guess if it came to that he'd be good. Theo and Lachlan were tied, I'd have to choose mainly based on their mental abilities- Theo could move things without touching them, but Lachlan could read minds. Both were useful, but... Theo would be able to fight from far away.

So it was settled, Theo and Alec were coming to Greece with me, I'll tell them in the morning. "But I want to go to Greece," I heard Lachlan whining at my door.

"You'll be coming soon enough, if I could bring three darling I'd bring you but I can't. Don't worry, you'll join me too," I pulled open the door slowly and he fell backwards onto my feet.

"Why can't I come now?"

"I can only bring two, come on," I dragged him to my bed, closing the door and patted the spot beside me, "I'll try to convince the Dean to let you come with me but who's going to stay with Charlie? I'll get you guys sent over December okay?" I put my arm over his shoulder and was rubbing his back now, trying to console the sad little dog.

"Can I sleep in here tonight then? As a consolation prize?" He smiled and I sighed, "Fine."

I pulled back the covers and snuck in, Lachlan following close behind, "but no funny stuff. Goodnight Lachlan."

He was right behind me, I felt his mouth on my ear, "goodnight Tess," and he finished kissing my cheek.

"Dog breath," I muttered- he just laughed and put his arms around me as I fell asleep. I pulled at them but was too tired to do much damage, "I'm going to get you for that in the morning," I whispered and fell asleep.

My alarm clock woke me up at eight and I pushed the beast off of me, "why are you awake?" He sleepily asked.

"Because we have school today?"

"Yeah at ten..."

I walked over to the closet trying to choose an outfit, "yeah but I'm also a girl if you hadn't noticed, getting ready takes a lot longer for me. So if you don't mind." I grabbed a white and yellow lacey, strapless dress, bra and underwear and walked to the bathroom. The water was hot against my skin, relaxing my tight back muscles, my fingers ran smoothly through my hair and I watched the water slowly swirl down the drain. Stepping out I slipped on my clothes and bounced back to my room, turning on my iPod stereo in the process.

I towel dried my hair and started blow drying through it when I could feel someone behind me. I turned around to see Lachlan still lying on my bed, "fascinating."

"Yeah, drying my hair's usually the highlight of my mornings..." I sarcastically bit back and finished drying. Searching for the curling iron underneath my vanity I successfully located it and turned it on to heat up. I applied my makeup while waiting, gold and brown eye shadow, thin black liner on the lower lid and a coat of volume boosting mascara.

Sitting down now I brushed through my hair again and began the tedious chore of picking out thick strands and meticulously curling each one. "Do you enjoy watching me curl my hair?" I asked politely.

"Why do you girls do that to yourselves? Doesn't it hurt? You're actually pulling the pieces," he wrapped his fingers around a section I had just curled and instantly dropped it. "Ooh, that hurts!"

"Did you expect it to magically curl it? It uses a lot of heat to make the curl last... see?" I grabbed a piece, wrapped it around the iron, waited and released it. The curl lay gently against my shoulder and I smiled, "easy as pie, and no pain! You know if you wanted to, I could curl a piece of yours for you- even though it's already pretty curly itself." I grabbed some and twirled it around my finger, letting go and brushed my hand lightly against his cheek on its way down.

"How long does it take?" He barely said, staring unblinkingly into my eyes.

"About an hour, so you probably aren't going to watch all of it."

"Do you want something for breakfast?"

"You're going to make breakfast?" I laughed, and let the curl out of the iron, standing up. "Are you absolutely positive you don't want me to make breakfast? Can you make food without burning the place down? I thought dogs just ate food from bags..." I heard him snort and I couldn't help but quietly singing to myself, "I want chicken, I want liver... meow mix meow mix please deliver..."

"That's for cat food, not dog food. I can make you any sort of meal you'd like, yogurt and granola, toast and Oatmeal Crisp for example," he grinned the most adorable smile I've ever seen and walked out of the room.

I finished after about thirty five more minutes and gracefully stepped out of my room with my designer book bag, yeah I decided if I had the money I may as well invest in one of these too. I could smell burnt toast and I couldn't hold back the laughter any more, "okay Lachlan when you finish burning my breakfast you can find me in the cafeteria eating real food." I slipped on a pair of gold stilettos, walking out the door with ease and towards the Dean's office.

"Knock, knock! I've made a decision; I'll be bringing Theo and Alec along with me, but with a circumstance..."

"That is?"

"Charlie and Lachlan come up in December," I hesitantly began, "they're both extraordinary fighters with brilliant talents. They'd be a wonderful addition to the team," I smiled.

"It will be considered, and I don't think you should make such rash decisions. You can bring anyone in the school with you; maybe you should wait until you meet some of the final year students. Choose carefully thought because you'll be leaving next week."

"Sorry what?"

"Okay, we'll give you a month here and then you'll be shipped off. August 15th possibly Theo, Alec and yourself will be on a plane headed towards Iceland."

"Wait I thought you said Greece?"

"She had to switch locations again, Iceland and you'll figure out your co-ordinates when you land."

"Is it really cold there?"

"About the same as here, yearly fall weather I guess would be a closer estimate. Just Google it, you'll be fine. Now hurry, you're going to be late for Hand to Hand Combat. Enjoy."

I hurried to my first period in the middle of the school, shuffling in quickly and ignoring the faces staring at the new girl.

"Ah, Ms. Evans it's nice of you to join us."

"I'm sorry, my last name's Livingston," I corrected timidly, staring down at the twisting fingers on the desk.

"Your file reads Thalessa Evans; you're going to want to get Dean Matthews to have a look at then hm? Let's get started."

He stood up and handed out handbooks to each of us stopping at my desk, "Class please read through this, it's your homework for the next "Ms. Evans," his blue-green eyes pierced something inside me instantly and I suddenly stopped breathing.

"C-c-call me Thalessa please," I tried to stare back as beautifully as he had at me. I wore a pale blue knit sweater over a white tee that emphasized every muscle in his torso. His pants were dark grey and pressed to a near perfection, they elongated his legs entirely which seemed to make him look at least seven feet tall and an absolutely teenage screech worthy hunk.

"You are in your first year here I see? So that makes you eighteen I believe?" He leaned over and set his lightly tanned hand onto my desk, the tendons twitching lightly.

"Yes," I managed to coolly say and pulled my hair over my left shoulder, looking back at him under my eyelashes.

He breathed and continued, "I'm told to give you the best training I can because you're being sent into battle?"

I nodded feebly, still playing with my hands.

"Well we'll see what we can do," he smirked, "Brock come here." He motioned for the largest boy in the classroom to approach my desk, "you will be Thalessa's fighting partner during this class for the next month okay?"

Brock took one look, up and down and laughed, "alright, shouldn't be too tough." Still laughing he grabbed my arm to do god knows what and I released flames down my arms burning his hands.

The teacher laughed, "very good, but we're going to need to work on physical fighting."

"I can't fight anyone..."

"I'll be your mentor then," he held out a hand and I playfully took it.

"Thalessa Livingston."

"Everett Linley, at your service." His smile sent an adrenaline shot down my spine, and I shivered when my eyes met his again. "I finished school last year, they asked me to come back to teach this course, and Power Control." He paused and shrank in front of me, wait when I say shrank I don't mean hide. I mean he was literally three inches tall, "whoa!" I leaned forward just as he grew twice the size he was before he shrank.

"I can control every little inch of my height now, I used to only be able to shrink to miniscule sizes, but now I can grow to any size at all," he returned back to what I assumed to be normal and walked back to the front of the class leaving me alone with Brock.

"Sorry about that champ," I touched his hand releasing cool water onto it, "hopefully this will help. I'm sorry again." I blushed and looked down.

"It's fine, it's an honor to see someone as strong as you and as good looking. Do you maybe want to go out sometime?"

I coughed, glaring back at him, "sorry what? Did you just ask me out in class?"

"Well I think you owe me after burning my hand," his black hair fell over his eyes and his white smile made the edge of my lips twinge, nearly breaking into a grin myself.

"Here's my cell phone number," I wrote it out and handed it to him.

"Ms. Livingston!" I heard Everett shout from the front of the classroom, "bring me that note this instant!"

I took it from the now frowning Brock, quickly racing to the front of the classroom to avoid whatever kind of detention they had here. He pried the paper from my fingers and put it into his pocket, "oh and in your head I'll be called Mr. Linley thanks."

I shook my head in disbelief and he smiled a half hearted but incredibly warm grin, tugging at my chest again. He started laughing, "Now don't let your mind wander Ms. Livingston, we wouldn't want you thinking anything too drastic." He finished with a wink and motioned for me to sit back down in the far corner of the classroom.

CHAPTER SIX

Slowly taking a seat again I smiled up at Mr. Linley, deciding to take advantage of his talent. I saw him stare back at me curiously and I closed my eyes, welcome to Creativity 101 with Ms. Livingston. Drawing open one eye I noticed him glaring at me now, his face in his hand- waiting.

Closing my eyes once more I started laughing in my head, well well well it looks like you don't have much of a choice when listening to my thoughts. I'm generally good when it comes to visualizing something so I focused on the classroom as it just was, and then I pictured him throwing a book he may or may not have been reading to the ground and jumping onto his desk.

I snuck a peek at him again; his eyes were closed too clearly focused on what I was doing in here.

I went back to my little 'story', Mr. Linley was still standing on the desk but now there were some sweet beats blasting from somewhere, some techno babble. I think Mr. Linley's going to dance for the class, I laughed in my head again and he was now dancing on the desk. Cheesy seventies moves, with some pelvic thrusts thrown in here and there, and now for the main event.

Mr. Linley ripped off his entire outfit in one swift movement, I'm not sure how it all happened but I guess in my mind anything can. He was wearing a pair of black boxers and a silly black bow around his neck, still dancing his heart out hardcore. Chippendale instructor say what? I burst out laughing and realized the class was almost over; students were already packing up so they didn't notice me in the back.

I threw everything in my bag still laughing and walked to the door, "Ms. Livingston can I see you for a moment?"

Oh I have seen more than enough of you for a while. I winked on my way over and fluffed my hair.

Yes sir?

It's my turn next time.

"For what?" I asked, taken aback at the statement.

"You'll see," he winked this time.

"Wait how can I hear you?"

"My power is like a telephone, I can hear you, and you can hear me, if I want you to. Now you'll be late for your next class, go."

I smiled, walked out of the classroom, and then back in again smiling, "is this Mr. Linley's room? I have Power Control with him this period..."

"Ah yes, take a seat near the back of the classroom, your fellow students will be coming in here shortly, now I see your name is Thalessa Evans?"

"Indeed it is," I shrugged and continued back to the same seat as last period.

I put on my headphones and set my head down on the desk, closing my eyes and focusing on the lyrics. He's got a big ego, such a big ego, hm I haven't really noticed how dirty this song really is... suddenly colors started flashing in my head and I could see a beach. If I asked you what you were doing would you tell me?

Probably not, I heard his voice in the back of my mind, and then saw him walking towards me on the shore in a pair of blue swim trunk. He held two pairs of goggles, two snorkels and two pairs of flippers. I crossed my arms and looked out onto the ocean in front of me, the bright blue and green sparkling waves were tumbling off the shoreline, lightly spraying my feet with a cool mist. I closed my eyes and asked for more water; suddenly I heard a loud crashing noise, forcing my eyes open. A giant tidal wave was careening towards me, but I didn't feel afraid.

What are you doing? Call that thing back! Linley was shouting in the back of my mind, yet I had to ignore him. I felt his hands on my arms but I just shook them off, needing the water for some reason... I couldn't send it away.

The wave hit the rocks first, spraying me in a thick layer of warm salt water. I let my arms raise from both sides, closed my eyes and let the water hit me full force. It felt so exhilarating; it wasn't painful, uncomfortable or bad in any way. It was really the best feeling in my life so far, when it hit me the water swirled around each limb, twisting through individual strands of hair and it cleaned me right through to my heart.

I didn't have to worry about anything any more, like the security guard thing or the stupid boys. The water filled every one of my thoughts, taking me over completely, until I heard shouting from somewhere.

I lifted my head from my desk and the classroom erupted in gasps, "Ms. Livingston can I speak with you in the hallway please."

"But of course Mr. Linley," I smiled and sprung to the front of the classroom.

"Do you know why they're so shocked?" he said, shutting the door behind him.

"Because I'm sooooo good looking," I puffed my hair and put my other hand on my hip, leaning on one leg. But when my fingers were running through my hair they felt cool and damp, "wait." I gathered my hair and brought it over my shoulder, "it's wet? Why is my hair wet?"

"I'm not sure, you were drenched in the daydream, thank you very much for wrecking that for me," he frowned and looked back, "I take it water is your strongest element, right?"

"Yeah, well I guess I'm usually in the shower when I'm thinking about waterfalls and such, so it just feels like the water's in my dream. So you're saying I can control water not only in this world, but in my head too? In dreams?"

"I'd imagine so," he looked me up and down, and then absentmindedly ran his fingers through my hair, "very interesting."

"Should we be getting back to class?"

"I will be, you run to the girl's room and stick your head under the dryer for a bit, don't want to get a cold."

I brought wind around my head and it dried almost instantly, "I think I'm good." I smiled, realizing that all my hard work this morning on my hair was down the drain. Curls and waves took over my head again and I frowned, "stupid hair."

He laughed and pushed the door open pulling me into the classroom by my waist.

I walked back to my seat setting my bag on the desk, then leaning back into my chair I focused back on Linley. It's Mr. Linley.

Whatever just teach the lesson already.

"Well we just saw Ms. Livingston's power over water," I lifted my head and raised an eyebrow, "Thalessa you'll be working with one of our other strong students Byron." Heath and James, Cameron and Lukas, Theo and Trent, so everyone open up yourselves and let's see what you've got!"

With that I saw a boy who was very small, I knew he was twenty three, but boy he was one of the scrawniest little buggers I've seen here yes, but I smiled and held out my hand. "Hello I'm Thalessa Livingston, it's nice to meet you," he paused before grabbing it.

Suddenly I felt something in my head it felt like pulling, I drew all of my energy to guard it, "you little rascal is this you in my head?"

He nodded and gripped my hand even tighter releasing a tidal wave of something, not sure what it was quite yet into my mind. I drew my attention to the physical contact and burned his hand lightly, forcing him to withdraw from the intrusion.

"Hmm... this is going to be harder than I thought, has anyone told you you're kind of thick skulled? I couldn't penetrate whatever you had running up in there," he looked me over then shook his head.

"I don't know, I've always been pretty smart, and I don't like it when other people are in my head, it's pretty creepy." I heard a chuckle from the front of the classroom and ignored it. Jerk.

"Okay, well that's all I was planning to do this period, get in the new girl's head and dig a bit, but clearly that's not going to be happening," he gave me the most adorable set of puppy dog eyes.

"Awh, you are so cute," I pinched his cheek and began laughing, "first off, what are you?"

"Ah well I'm a tree spirit," he paused.

"Whassat?" I asked completely intrigued, weren't my parents spirits?

"Well I normally reside in the other world, I help the trees continue to thrive in such a polluted world over here. I'm just here at the school to further my knowledge of the powers that I have, it's pretty unusual for a spirit to have them."

"Hm, did you know my parents?"

"What's your last name?"

"Livingston here, but apparently my parents' last name is Evans?"

"Wait you're Thalessa Evans?" His voice was raised now and his expression was wild.

"I'm pretty sure that's what I said," I carefully studied his expression as he started fidgeting in his seat.

"Do you know who y-" he was cut off by a cough behind him, "I don't see you working, Byron I want you to go talk to Dean Matthews, I've already discussed it with him."

"What's going on?" he asked, "I didn't do anything wrong, let me go this instance," he shrugged out of Linley's hand and glared up at him, "what's this about?"

"The Dean didn't say, he just wants you to come to his office, right now."

Byron quickly jumped out of his seat and saluted Linley, "aye aye cap'n!" Then started running out of the classroom at a ridiculous speed, "why is he so fast?" I asked Linley.

"Part of his job," and stop calling me Linley. He frowned and stalked back to his desk, now what am I supposed to do? You took my partner, I have nothing left for the next hour.

Meet me in my room on the top floor, room twenty nine, "Ms. Evans you are excused since your partner won't be back by the end of class." He smiled and waved me away, peculiar; I thought to myself and grabbed my books walking out the door and towards my room. Like hell I'm going to his room, I'm not that stupid.

I pushed open the door and found all of my roommates sitting in the living room watching television, "Oh um hey, why aren't yeah'll in class?"

"Nobody goes to class," Lachlan monotonously said still focused on the television.

"Well then smart ass why was my class full today?"

"Because if you don't go to fourth year courses you will pretty much get killed when you move over to the Otherworld.

"Oh," was all I said and threw my bag on the counter grabbing some lettuce and veggies. "Do we have any golden Italian dressing?" I asked, head still sticking in the fridge pulling out all sorts of bottles.

"Probably somewhere, be quiet Ellen's on," Theo yelled and I started laughing.

"I thought I had three guys for roommates? Not three hormonal women," I said between chuckles, "who wants to go shoe shopping later?" I screeched and something hit the back of my head. I turned around and picked up the remote, "joke's on you you're not getting it back," shoving it into my bra I got back to the making of lunch.

I grabbed some spinach and settled for balsamic vinaigrette, I just shut the fridge door when I felt someone behind me. "Oh hey," I sarcastically greeted and continued my lunch.

"Need help?" Lachlan asked so innocently, I wonder how much dog he is versus human.

"No, I'm good. Do you want me to pour you a bowl of dog food or something? Or do you just want some table scraps? Ha!" He stood pouting against the counter, "oh come on that was funny. Har har?" I nudged him a bit with my elbow, "never mind, you clearly have no sense of humor. Jerk."

"Can I have the remote?"

"Not unless you come get it," I replied as seductively as possible and his face lit up. His hand shot right for the top of my dress and I smacked it away, "let's be serious here, like I'd actually let you do that." I snickered and grabbed the remote, waving it in front of him, "come on boy you want the remote, do ya? Huh?" I threw it over to the couch, "fetch boy!" I barely yelled through hysteric laughing. I heard Theo and Charlie laughing from the couch too and Lachlan stalked back over to the living room.

Leaving my salad I ran over and dove over the back of the couch and onto the pile of guys lying on it. "Oh hey, this is kind of comfy," I laughed nestling into the bunch and nearly falling asleep. That was until something started banging at the door, "hang on chief!" I yelled, stumbling towards the door, "where's the fire?" I laughed twisting the doorknob and instantly stopped when I saw Linley standing at the door. His face was bright red; I think there was actually steam coming from his ears and oh god what's that in his tooth?

He closed his mouth and his tongue ran over his teeth, there wasn't any food was there...

I started laughing and his face grew serious again, "I gave you strict orders to meet me in my room."

I heard snickers from the boys behind me and decided to step up, "well sorry for not wanting to be taken advantage of. There are only two reasons why an older man would want a defenseless teenage girl. The first being that you are a vampire and need my youthful blood to survive until the next time you harvest another poor creature," I waited...

"Hey!" I heard Theo protest and he tried to throw the remote once more for my head, but I felt it coming and ducked. I moved too quickly for Linley to even comprehend and BAM hit him right in the face, "oops, sorry sir."

"And the second reason is to use me for my body, if you know what I mean, and then leave me tied up to your bed for days and watch me slowly lose my life before your very eyes." His eyes dropped for a second, and then he looked at me through his hair with a beautifully mischievous smirk. Ooh my heart.

"Well I was hoping you wouldn't figure out my plans, so I guess I won't tie you up. Otherwise your boyfriends will probably come rescue you or something," he raised an eyebrow, "now Ms. Livingston my room please."

His hand wrapped tightly around my forearm and I stumbled out into the hallway after him. "I'm reporting you to the union you know," I grumbled hoping he'd loosen his grip.

"Good, I don't like this job anyways," he announced and when we turned into the elevator threw me over his shoulder. I took a deep breath and sighed, "Tess there's no point in fighting anyways. At least this way you're not going to hurt yourself or anything."

I shrugged at his comment and fell limply against his back, "how much further?" I whined hoping for a break from his rough shoulder.

"Here," he announced shoving open the door and quickly locking it in the same motion.

"Why did you want me up here so badly anyways?" I asked, and then he gently laid me down on the soft, terribly tacky couch.

"I wanted to tell you that I'm here for you if you need it, I know your roommates are trying to catch your eye but they're still young."

"Right and you're how old?"

"Twenty- forever," he breathed, the scent escaping from his lips. I shuddered; boy did he look amazing right now. I could feel the soft cashmere smoothly running between my fingers, his dark brown hair was short but still managed to look thick and irresistible and oh the low lighting hit his tanned skin, cutting off my breath for a brief moment.

I shook my head, "regardless, you're five years older than me technically..."

"We'll both be twenty in two years," the back of his hand gently brushed my cheek and my heart beat quickened. He smiled and started laughing while gently running his fingers through his hair, "so you think I'm irresistible?" Your power sucks by the way, Mr. I'm so sweet because I can intrude on other people's thoughts and destroy the moment instantly.

I frowned and continued quickly, allowing no more interruptions, "you're still five years older, that's pretty different and by different I mean probably illegal in some countries."

"Not in this one," he winked and took my hand, "I wouldn't rush anything with you just a heads up." He smiled and looked from under his eye lashes, causing my heart to skip a beat, "see how dirty it is to pull moves like that?"

I smiled, "like this?" I sat up, bit my lower lip and pushed him onto his back holding his wrists. My hair fell slowly around my face, trapping his there too and I brought my lips nearly to his, then paused, "how's this for playing dirty?"

I lightly brushed them over his and leaned back satisfied- his face absolutely horrified. "You did not just do that," he laughed and sat up.

"I believe I did," I said playfully.

"Hm... well now I'm going to have to get you back for that one," he showed his teeth and lowered his eyebrows, "you didn't ask me what I was."

"Well, what are you?"

"I'm a..." his hands slowly met my waist and he leaned in to my ear, "tickle monster!" His fingers dug in between individual ribs and I started screaming, "ah! You've discovered my weak spot!"

I jumped off the couch and fell onto the floor, laughing too hard to fight off the monster. He followed me onto the floor and had his legs on either side of me pinning my body helplessly, "mercy?"

"Never!" I half yelled half screamed and slid out from underneath him, running to his room. I locked the door, "now what smarty-pants?"

I saw something moving underneath the door, "oh shit." I said, stepping back and tripping onto the king size bed. Linley returned to his normal size at the foot of the bed, "forgot about that huh?" I moved against the headboard and waited for his next move, "do you actually want to know what I am?"

"Does it matter?" I calmly asked.

"It might, I'm a vampire."

"God, not another one," I sighed and looked back up to see him pouting.

"I'm a friendly one? Vegetarian, not all of us drink blood, or survive solely on blood. I don't eat meat, at all, I am a vegetarian minus the fact I drink blood smoothies, like a protein shake."

"Really?"

"Yeah, so I have no desire for your body," ouch. "For food that is," he crept onto the bed and pulled off his sweater, leaving him in a turquoise tee.

"Well that's nice and all but I've got classes this afternoon, and I-" he pressed his body against mine holding me in place, his eyes locked onto mine and I smiled. "And I'm not going to go?"

"I'll tell the Dean I was teaching you a lesson," he winked and brought his forehead to mine.

"Oh? And which lesson is that?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 102 37
(Currently editing this series!)
1.6K 78 26
1.4K 2 39
360 0 98
Scott Stiles Liam Isaac Derek Peter Cora Lydia Allison Kate Chris Jordan Nolan Mason Erica Aiden Ethan Braeden Kali Hayden Corey Boyd Jackso...